Impressive elegence

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"Wow !

I have very liitle to add to the previous glowing reports. The hotel is simply excellent . It has the setting, the beach, the food ,the staff,the accommodation and above all service, of a fantastic five star hotel. Go and enjoy.

On the flight side,I wouldn't go via a 2/3 hour stop over in Dubai again...get a direct flight.
We popped over to Le Saint Geran for lunch, and I have to say The Royal Palm is in a different class."

• Travel date: Mon 30th of April 2007

Stunning Location

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"This is great hotel for a honeymoon. It is very quiet and relaxing but is close enough to Grande Baie for an eveing out or a change of scenery.

The beach outside this hotel is stunning with plenty of sunloungers to relax on - they are well spaced and you can have a good deal of privacy.

The bedrooms are to die for. we had our breakfast delivered every morning and ate on our terrace. Heaven!"

• Travel date: Sat 10th of February 2007

Heaven

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"My fiance and I married at the Royal Palm in October 2005. We booked via Beachcomber as they guarantee only one wedding per day at their hotels, which was particularly important to me (I didn't want a 'conveyer belt' type wedding as seen at other hotels). Beachcomber were extremely helpful (and patient!) with planning the holiday/wedding and I thoroughly recommend them. We flew Air Mauritius business class and they were also very good, lots of leg room, leather seats, lovely food, plentiful supplies of drinks and they were very happy to store my dress without it going into the hold. Their boarding arrangements at LHR were a bit of a fiasco but that was our only criticism.

On arrival in Mauritius we had a private car transfer from the airport, cool towels and bottles of cold water. When we reached the Royal Palm we were greeted by a friendly member of the PR team who escorted us to our beautiful room, where cold drinks and fresh fruit awaited us. The members of staff we met en route to our room greeted us by name which was very impressive.

We were allocated a member of the PR team as our wedding co-ordinator (Vanessa) and she was wonderful, I truly felt that she treated our wedding with the same attention to detail as if she were organising her own, nothing was too much trouble.

The hotel itself is fabulous. There is a ratio of 3 members of staff to each guest but at no point did this seem overwhelming. There was always someone around to tend to any needs you might have but they are never intrusive.

There is the option to have breakfast served in your room, or on your private balcony, and we took advantage of this service several times. There are beach staff who look after you amazingly, bringing you drinks, moving your beds and smoothing out your towels when you go for a swim. We used the pool a couple of times but it was almost always empty. We played squash (equipment provided free of charge) and used the spa. Some nights we ate outside the hotel, for a change of scenery, and the concierge was happy to make the bookings and arrange return transport.

We married in the Presidential Suite, which was amazing, looking over the top of the palm trees. We followed this by a private meal on the balcony, a 'taster' menu which was chosen and cooked by the chef especially for us, with printed menus to keep as a souvenir. 7 courses of unbelievable food, served by our own private butler.

The next day we hired the hotel's catamaran for a day's sailing, just us and two crew who looked after our every need.

The beach bar had been undergoing a small refurbishment (new decking) whilst we were at the hotel and as our room was close to the work the management provided a complimentary bottle of vintage champagne when the work was finished to apologise for any inconvenience (which was very minimal).

We had been due to spend the last four days of our holiday at another hotel on the island but we couldn't bring ourselves to leave, and the conceriege swiftly and smoothly sorted all the arrangements.

When we left the hotel, a member of the PR staff was again on hand to wave us off. I cried, I was so reluctant to leave.

The Royal Palm doesn't feel like a hotel, it feels much more like being part of a family. The downside? It sure spoils you. If finances allowed I wouldn't go anywhere else."

• Travel date: Mon 20th of November 2006

Heaven on Earth

Reviewed Fri 19th of October 2012

"My wife and I visited Mauritius in October 06 to celebrate our Silver Wedding and what a fantastic and memorable week it turned out to be. We booked a week in a Junior Suite at the Royal Palm in Grand Bai. We booked through ITC of Chester, having found them to be the most competitive by far, when compared against 8 other travel operators who quoted.

Prior to travelling, ITC’s attention to detail was excellent, with personal contact a month before departure offering concierge services if required. On arrival and departure in Mauritius, ITC transfer arrangements were very good, especially on the return journey where their representative fast-tracked us through check-in, avoiding lengthy queues.

The hotel…What can I say to describe this haven of peace and tranquillity. From the moment we arrived the service was exceptional. The high proportion of staff to guests very evident but not overpowering. Whenever you needed something or someone, it was sorted. Amazingly, everyone, whether management, restaurant, beach, spa, room service, knew who you were by name and understood your requirements and preferences.

The hotel has an intimacy that makes you feel like a house guest. It sits on the most stunning beach with a light turquoise sea stretching to the waves breaking on the reef on the distant horizon. All suites are large, tastefully furnished and sea facing. I recommend room service for breakfast and taking advantage of the terrace each suite has and experience the start to the day, overlooking the stunning vista.

A very attentive team of beach staff lead you to your sunbed with comfortable mattress, abundant towels and fresh pineapple served on a silver platter. All beach activities – water skiing, sailing, snorkelling and glass-bottom boat trips, are free to guests.

The Clarins Spa takes tranquillity to a new high! Hammam, sauna, pool, Jacuzzi and well equipped fitness centre are available free of charge. Massages are charged but well worth it.

Entertainment at night comprises piano music and high quality vocalists, not too cheesy and not too loud. Drink in Mauritius is generally expensive and add to that the 6 star hotel prices and you need to resign yourself to the fact that utopia comes at a cost. However, with so many of the facilities such as the beach activities and the spa being free, I guess it all evens out. I think I might have had a different attitude if I was here “en famille” though.

Last but not least, the food. Oh the food! With 2 restaurants at night to choose from, or room service in your suite, the choice is yours. The menu is French with a Mauritian influence and is wide and varied. Some dishes might be unfamiliar but try them anyway – you wont be disappointed. Needless to say, the service is impeccable. Extensive wine list but go for the South African wines for best value.

Overall, faultless and best summed up when looking out one morning from our suite, I spied 2 guys in a boat actually cleaning the rope and floats in the sea that separate swimming only areas. (see photo). That attention to detail just sums up this exceptional hotel.

Thank you for making our Anniversary so special."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of October 2006

Couldn't Be Better

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"We have just visited Royal Palm (September 3-10) for our honeymoon. I have spent long hours searching for a hotel prior to our visit, and thanks to our friends who visited the island in August and stayed at the Oberoi, we decided on Royal Palm. The pictures looked nice, the price was ok, and the location was perfect (on the non-windy side of the island).
This was our first tropical island vacation. Since we are from Turkey, where there are a million nice beaches to choose from, we didn't feel the need to travel 10+ hours to swim and whatever...I wasn't feeling different on our way to Mauritius, just expecting a nice, quiet vacation. I was afraid we are gonna have a small, dirty room, average food, 'worse than Turkey's sea'.
HOWEVER, the second we entered the hotel, I fell in loe with it. It was quiet, it seemed elegant and unique, the people were very nice, sea looked great!
During our stay, we enjoyed every moment, including the breakfast, the lunch, the (perfect) dinner, all sea-sport activities, the spa..The hotel management accomodated every request we had, including a trip to the 'historic marine' factory, extra jars of coconut jam, slippers to be changed every night, arranging extra activities (under-sea walk, deep sea fishing, etc). My husband loved the food so much, he ate 6 courses every 3 hours :)) And the beach was so nice, I wanted to pack bottles of the white sand and take it home..At night, after dinner, it is possible to take a few drinks by the pool, and listen to the piano. On wednesdays, there is a small fashion show (cute) and a live band, where everybody danced and it was fun...
I would 100% recommend the hotel to anyone...We loved it, I do not see anything negative to write here..."

• Travel date: Tue 19th of September 2006

Fantastic !!!!

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"The hotel was fantastic!
When we arrrived we had someone waiting to take us to our room. The room was a lovely junior suite. The bathroom had a walk in wardrobe, bath tub, two wash basins, shower (2 showers :) , toilet (of course) and the room was luxurious. The balcony overlooked palm trees and the beach.
My boyfriend and I stayed there for 1 week. What an experience!
I would recommend the silver service fine dining. I loved it! Four course meals or a choice from the menu using the daily credit that you are given.
For breakfast there is a buffet but all you do is go up to the waiter who is standing by the buffet and point out what you want and he delicately places the food on the plate for you with silver cutlery. Afterwards he/she brings it to your table.
Have to say that I didn't see anyone using the swimmming pool probably preferred the sea with sunloungers.
You are offered fresh pineapples and a warm lemon scented towel to cool down from the sun rays.
I used the spa facilities which was nice. The whole spa was kind of middle eastern styled with pillows on the floor and sculpted wood.
The Hammam and sauna had a safe outside which was convenient and a cold shower to cool down afterwards.
The drinks are hotel prices and for such a nice hotel the prices are expected. But for less than £2 for a soft drink, i don't think its bad at all. We didn't drink wine but had spirits instead for a couple of nights.
Our bill was around £300 after the stay and that included soft drinks, 2 spa treatments, alcohol with mixers and an extra dinner for two guests.
The hotel is quite pricey but its def not £700 a night unless you get an upgraded room. The junior suite was £400 a night which is on a HB basis but i would imagine that this price fluctuates throughout the year as we went in the low season.
If your looking for a lovely romantic, elegant, posh, indulging hotel then this is the place to go. I can't think of a better place to go for a young couple to spend 1 week. Unforgettable experience."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of July 2006

Royal Palm

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"Its not for nothing that it is said that it forms part of the leading hotels of the world,
To say that the Royal Palm is The most prestigious address of the Indian Ocean is absolutely true. The Rolls Royce at the airport the perfect silky beach, the suites, the hotel personel, the spa be clarince we just had nothing to say it was just perfect. if it is once in a lifetime holiday you are looking for and you realy want to be taken of this is where you realy have to go.

The most fantastics of all is that you may even meet celebrities and precidents like Jack Chirac dinning next to your table"

• Travel date: Thu 1st of June 2006

Been there done that

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"Off we went a last minute booking to Mauritius, we love going away like this! Chose the Royal Palm as it was deemed to be the best. We travelled club with BA - not sure about the Pod bed - food not good. Anyway back to the main event. After 11 hrs we arrived early morning in Mauritius to be met by Beechcomer and driven off in a hired in car and driver - a good job we were only two guests as his boot would only take one case, 2nd suit case had prime position in front seat for 1.5 hr trip to hotel.
On our arrival we were met by Resident Manager and guest relations and the finely dressed door man (Raj style) - the scene was set. We wondered how much more than £700 per night HB we would have to spend to get use of the brand new Rolls Royce parked at the front.
We were taken by the lady of guest relations to our our suite (it's an all suite hotel all with sea views).Ours was the cheapest of the variety - £700 was enough for us per night. We were sent some complementary tea and fruit as we unpacked. The room and bathroom seemed they had seen better days. My wife noticed after 10min that the bottom of her feet were dirty from the floor - this was reported and the floor was attended to. A couple of days later we noticed water on the floor (from a leak) in the walkin wardrobe - they moved us to another but very large suite - we are moving up (no news on the Rolls).
Again a very tired and uninspiring room with ill thought out electrics - they had to bring an extension lead to enable my wife to dry her hair infront of a mirror in the room? (£700 per night!!)I was informed that the rooms are expecting a redecoration later this year, I hope they deal with the electrical issues and maybe include a women on the design team.
All the staff were so very nice and very attentive.
On the beach plenty of space and yards from any of the rooms - it's an open enviroment restaurant lovely palm covered setting - we did not use as we are not great lunchers.
In the main restaurant facility the food is very good in a wonderful setting - but a week of it is enough, we wish we had done a 2 part holiday. The hotel is very quiet even when it's full. If you want a very quiet time day and night and like your own company - I got fed up with my mine and my wife got fed of me! In the evening the bar area is very dark and lit with candles, so it's rare that you meet anyone as you can't see anyone, if that's what you like this the place for you.
Every night we would treat ourselves to a glass of champagne (the cheapest) £18.50 inc tax per glass and a bottle of wine (Gavi) £38 per bottle. I used the Gym in the morning - adequate. We had a couple of treatments at the health spa very nice and relaxing a must. We did the usual boat trips (the big Cat) we didn't travel much around the island we did however walk out into the town centre of Grande Baie - not much to buy other than copy designer cloths. We travelled by taxi to the capital St Louis - not a lot to see but nevertheless a must.
Our extras for 12 nights in addition to half board cost amounted to £1200 which was - 2 massages, tea in the room every afternoon, one bottle of Gavi wine every night and 2 glasses champagne every night and water. On leaving the management and team were there to see us off - the Rolls was there waiting yes yes, unfortunatley our luggage had been put in a waiting old merc so we went with the luggage but at least this time the cases fitted in the boot and we could see the island through the front window screen."

• Travel date: Fri 7th of April 2006

Simply thre best......

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"If you are looking to be pampered, and a place to relax, then The Royal Palm is for you. The staff out number the guests 3 to 1, and the service and food are just fantastic. It has the only silver service beach bar, We have ever been to... As for the beach - Well its like Paradise, the view is breathtaking, the lagoon is gentle and the sea is turquoise. The sea food is the best we've ever had, and we have travelled a lot, the Indian Ocean Rock Lobster, what can I say.... Delicious! Kind Prawns the size of Pork Chops...Ruby Snapper....MMMM! A great place to be spoiled, and take time out, it has a nice spa too....
Heaven."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of January 2006

Absolute Elegance !!!

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"My husband and I have just returned from a week at the Royal Palm in Grande Baie, and our stay was nothing short of suberb. The service was superb, the location was perfect (the village of Grand Baie is about a 5 minute walk from the hotel) and the food at the hotel was the best I have ever experienced. We have stayed at some of the best hotels in the world and I can honestly say that the Royal Palm exceded all my expectations. The hotel itself is not extremely modern but the rooms are beautiful and spacious, our suite had a beautiful uninterrupted view of the ocean, and both restaurants were exceptional (so much so that we only ate out at a restaurant once the entire week!). The style of service was quite elegant - quite colonial I would say, with the porters and waiters in white gloves. I was a little nervous at first as I was told that the hotel was very "snooty" however, it was just sophisticated but at the same time quiet and relaxed. There were couples and families at the hotel at the same time.The manager met us on arrival and on our departure, and everyone addressed us by name. The Clarins Spa was also lovely and there were numerous activities and watersports to choose from. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is planning a quiet holiday to Mauritius, who is looking for elegance, relaxation and superb service !!! As we were going through passport control on arrival at the airport in Mauritius - we were asked where we would be staying ...We answered "Royal Palm"... to which the officer replied ..." Ah, the BEST hotel in Mauritius " He was not wrong !!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 23rd of October 2005