Fabulous Honeymoon at Shandrani

Reviewed Fri 1st of May 2009

"What can I say, this is a beautiful resort. The minute you arrive (only a 15 minute transfer from the airport) you are met with tranquil surroundings of candels, incense and water fountains. The staff greeted us with a cold drink and hot towel after over 24hrs of travelling this was very welcomed! We were taken to a private check in and then transported by golf cart to our room.

Our room was located at the far end of the resort, to the front of our room our balcony overlooked the calm waters and white sands of Blue Bay and to the rear we had the white sands and beautiful blue ocean of the wild beach.

The room itself had the biggest bed ever with a small lounge area and huge bathroom with walk in closet. The mini bar was stocked daily with a wide range of drinks and snacks.

The resort itself has 4 restauarnts, one was a buffet restaurant, which was ok but we are glad we pre-booked our table at the other restaurants as we much prefer the dining out experience as opposed to a buffet. The food was fabulous! very very good indeed and the service was out of this world. The Mauritian people are so polite and have such a nice nature. They can't do enough for you. We weren't even allowed to pour our own drinks! It wasn't over the top though, just right.

We spent a few days on the beach but the sellers annoyed us a little as they wouldn't go away (unfortunately the beach isn't owned by the hotel so they have the right to come by every day). We stayed by the pool, which overlooked the beach but was a lot more peaceful. The pool bar staff come round with drinks regularly too. The same bar became a focal point on our evenings with live entertainment and the amazing service.

The resort does close down around 11.30 / midnight though so it's generally back to your room and an early night, but hey you wake up nice and early to enjoy the beautiful weather!

As the hotel is only 15 min drive from the airport you can imagine it is nearby... at the end of the bay actually! You can see the planes land and take off. It can get noisy but it is only for a short time and it's also quite interesting. The 15 min transfer was much better than an hr plus in our eyes.

The resort does cater for large groups and on a couple of occassions some restaurants were closed, which meant getting a table at the other two was harder and most people ende dup at the third buffet restaurant. However this happened early in our stay so we pre-booked our restaurants for the remainder of the holiday and didn't have any problems.

The resort is on the Blue Bay reef so you can snorkle out or take advantage of the twice daily boat that goes out to the reef.

There's also waterskiing and a sailing school. We met a British guy who took us out on a catamaran as his was qualified to do so and it was a great experience, even taught us the basics of sailing and let us have a go! We also took a catamaran trip to the north of the island which was nice. Only thing was we didn't get much time at the other end. The guys that come to the beach offer you a more tailored trip and we know people that went with them, we were just worried about insurance cover so had stuck to a proper tour operator.

The All Inclusive package is amazing. It includes everything from the minute you arrive to the minute you are picked up to leave for the airport. There's international bottles of wine with your meals, champagne by the glass, pancakes at 3.30pm by the pool every day and fruit served to your sunbed. There's even a little guy in a buggy that delivers fod and drinks around the beach every day. What more could you ask for!

If you are looking for a fabulous holiday in beautiful surroundings, with fine food and great service then I would highly recommend Shadrani."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of April 2009

Honeymoon at Shandrani

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"When we first booked the Shandrani hotel, we were very excited and we do believe that in all the hotel was very good. I would like to add that this is not a 5 star hotel, but definitely a 4 star.

The first week we stayed was very relaxing and peaceful, however in the second week the hotel was swamped with children and families for the half term. If you decide to go check that you don't clash with holidays in UK, France and Germany in particular. It was kind of a shame as it got very crowded. What was a romantic place turned into a playground overnight. There is also not a lot for the children to do, which made it even more surprising that there were so many! So check this if you are a couple or honeymooners looking for a peaceful time. We would also like to say that planes taking off from the airport do make quite some noise. It didn't bother us but it might somebody else!

The food at the buffet was at best average. There was also a real problem with birds at breakfast. We did however love the evening food at Le Sirius. It was fantastic. The Italian was also good but we did not try Le Boucanier as it you had to pay extra for it.

The Blue Bay Bar did great food at lunch, probably the best at the Shandrani and the pancakes from 3 - 5 pm were also great. The waiters were very friendly and so were all the other members of staff such as our room cleaner who gave us great advice on things to do.

There are plenty of activities to do but please take additional money as you'll be disappointed if you don't. Most watersports are free however and there are plenty to choose from. In respect of tours, we asked the tour operator to tell us how much excursions were. They told as about £10 - £30 per person. I have to say this was a poor estimate as it was more £40 - £60 per person. This meant that we didn't get to do as much as we would have liked. Not everyone likes to pay for everything on a credit card!!! Please hassle your tour operator to tell you the amounts. Their rep's are on the property all week and it doesn't take much for them to find out and then in turn get back to you.

The superior room we had was basic. Not quite what we had imagined. The sea view was breathtaking however and all the beaches were fantastic. The Wild beach was great for an evening stroll.

Overall this was a great place to go but make sure you look around to make sure there is nothing better. This may well be the case?"

• Travel date: Sat 4th of March 2006

don't choose this hotel

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"We were looking for paradise, but this is not the hotel to choose! Fortunately we sayed at Trou au Biches most of our stay and when we changed hotel to the Shandrani, we were VERY dissapointed. The beach was nothing compared to the one by Trou au Biches, it was more like an average beach in Europe. The water was not clean and it actualle smelled some times. The rooms vere ok, but I saw huge RATS outside 3 times during our 4 night stay. The buffet restaurant was too crowdy and the hotel seemed more like a package-tour resort, than a 5 star hotel in the Indian Ocean. The first night we heard a terrible noise and the ground was trembeling. I did not understand what it was before I saw a huge 747 taking off from the runway just over out heads! The hotel is actually at the end of the runway!!!! Terrible. Do not go to this hotel, there are plenty of other paradise resorts to choose from in Mauritius."

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of March 2006

Disappointing for Mauritius

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2012

"I first stayed at the Shandrani about 7 years ago and found the experience superb. On that basis I thought it would be nice to take a look again. Sadly, I was very disappointed, primarily with the rooms but also with other elements. We stayed in a superior room which was very tired in terms of decor and furnishings. The aircon had also seen better days, it was noisy and barely worked. Room quality is akin to 3 star standard.

The remainder of the hotel and its facilities reflected the worn out state of the room, it is in desperate need of a refurbishment. Food was pretty good but the bird invasion at breakfast was a major problem.

I've been to Mauritius 6 times and experience tells me that you can do much better than the Shandrani whilst it is in its current state."

• Travel date: Tue 14th of February 2006

Great Hotel - something for everyone!

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"Our wedding took place at this hotel on 20th October 2005. We stayed 9 nights all inclusive and followed this with a stay at the Sainte Anne Resort and Spa in the Seychelles.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Shandrani. The staff were exceptional and always happy to help, whether that be on reception, in the restaurant, or room service.

There are 3 different beaches – the wild beach, which we found to be fairly quiet and great for sunbathing. The sea was too rough on the wild beach to actually swim in. The beach located by Le Sirius was best for snorkelling/swimming and sunbathing was again, very peaceful. The third beach, located by Le Grand Port Restaurant and the Reception area was best for watersports/activities. There was a good variety of watersports available including snorkelling trips, glass bottom boat trips and windsurfing.

The hotel boasts two beautiful pools – both were very quiet while we were there. There is one located by the main reception area and the other one by Le Sirius.

There are four restaurants – Le Grand Port, Le Sirius, Porto Vecchio and Le Boucanier. Le Grand Port was open for breakfast and evening meal and was buffet style. Good varied menu, although if you are like me, you tend to have a little bit of everything and then it can get a bit repetitive!! Good breakfast. Food was always well cooked, hot and plentiful. Service also very good. This is the main restaurant, so can be fairly busy. The only negative thing I can say is that it is open air (as all the restaurants are), and there were an awful lot of birds about……….. Le Sirius was our favourite restaurant which was open for breakfast, lunch and dinner (reservation required for dinner). Especially enjoyed the Sunday BBQ. Again, service was excellent and every evening they would have a small group of musicians serenading you! Porto Vecchio is the Italian/A la carte Restaurant. Lunch (delicious) is included on the all-inclusive programme, as is a set menu on the evening menu (other dishes are paid for). We have quite simple eating tastes, so found it a little too adventurous!! Le Boucanier is the seafood restaurant and is not included in the all-inclusive programme. Although we didn’t eat at this restaurant, our wedding meal was a seafood (served on the beach) and I believe that this would have originated from here!! Delicious. Lunchtime snacks are also available from the Blue Bay Bar (by reception). Only compliant would be that they are too big!!!

As I have mentioned, our wedding meal was served on the beach – you can choose to have your meal served wherever you like for a ‘set-up’ fee. It was amazing. Your personal waiter delivers your courses for you and then drives off to leave you to enjoy your meal in private. A wonderful experience – everyone should treat themselves.

We regularly used the gym and fitness room (well my husband used it more than me) and found both to be well equipped. The fitness room can get busy in late afternoons. We didn’t use the tennis courts, but noted that these were well used and so I imagine that there would be no problems – just make sure you book early! The sauna/steam room Le Source was lovely – real chill out space (I tended to go there rather than the gym)! Also treated myself to a massage, which was of course, wonderful. Used the hotel hairdresser on my wedding day and she was also very good. They seem to have a good range of beauty treatments available, which we did not take advantage of.

We had a lovely room which was spotlessly clean. Towels changed every day. Mini bar in the room – alcoholic drinks from the mini bar were not included in the all-inclusive programme, which was a shame. The rooms are open plan (obviously separate toilet), so would not be suitable if you needed more privacy from your travelling companion! Good hairdryer and tea and coffee making facilities. We stayed in a Senior Suite for our wedding night, which was twice the size of our spacious superior room! Housekeeping/maintenance exceptional – they couldn’t do enough for you!

Evening entertain was fairly low key, which suited us fine!

Our stay of 9 nights just over lapped with the October half term week. We did notice a big difference in the amount of people there and the number of children. Saying that, it still seemed very quiet (just that you were not the ONLY one in the pool, as seemed to be the case before)! You see all these people eating in the evening and wonder where they have been all day! The facilities are excellent for families and there is so much to do at the hotel. The only downside is that it is quiet a long way from anywhere else, so if you do like to out and about a bit more (as we usually do), then it may not be ideal. Although the hotel is near to the airport, we didn’t find the aircraft noise to be a nuisance at all and at the end of a 12 hour flight, a 5 minute taxi journey was most welcome!

We found the all-inclusive to be very good and included everything we needed. The only negative thing was that we had to sign for everything, which was a little tiresome.

I would recommend this hotel to all travellers – families, couples and groups, but it must be understood that this hotel does cater very well for families and is therefore likely to be livelier than other hotels which do not."

• Travel date: Tue 14th of February 2006

Would go back in a flash

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"We stayed at The Shandrani in August 2005 for our honeymoon. Due to a problem with our original honeymoon detination we chose mauritius and this hotel very much at the last minute and had no time to look into what to expect.

When we arrived we thought that reception was superb and the grounds of the hotel really beautiful. We did immediately have a plane passing very low overhead which made it impossible to hear anyone speak for a few seconds. We were a bit apprehensive but really there are not many flights a day from Mauritius airport and very few of those pass over the hotel so this did not cause us any problems throughout our stay. there is also the plus side of being close to the airport that the transfer is only 5-10 minutes by minibus.

We were in a deluxe room which was very spacious, I found the bed really comfortable. We wer eon the serenity all inclusive package and found the food and drink to be great. We ate for the majority of teh time in the buffet restaurant and found this to be fine with plenty of choice. We ate a few nights in the a la carte meditteranean style restaurant which was good for a change. We just had their reduced menu that did not cost extra for all inclusive guests but this was perfectly adequate.

We also enjoyed the pancakes and ice creams that wer included and would recommed the local rum!

We really enjoyed the watersport facilities and had windsurfing lessons and did some kayaking. All of this was included.

I had a few rounds on the 9 hole pitch and putt course - hire of clubs was not included and was a little on the expensive side.

The two pools are fairly small and were a little cold when we were there but it was fun going into the sea so this was not an issue.

I would not recommend doing the bike excursion to the local market. This turned out to be a real trek over cane fields and the gears on my bike were not working properly. When we arrived the market turned out to be more of a locals market than for tourists, not much good unless you want pots and pans and clothes.

All in all we had a fabulous time and would definitely return."

• Travel date: Fri 10th of February 2006

Sadly disappointed

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"Reading the reviews here you would think, like we did, that this place was a haven. We were totally between places when choosing where to stay in Mauritius, but the Beachcomber brochure looked fabulous and it became a straight choice between the all inclusive (we'll come to that shortly) Shandrani, and the Paradis Hotel and Golf Club on the other side of the island. Sadly, we got it very very wrong.

Firstly, the hotel is not near the airport. It is literally at the end of the runway, only the small bay stops it adjoining the airport grounds. The first sound we heard when checking in was the ear shattering roar of jet engines as a place took off and flew directly over the resort. My girlfriend at the time looked at me in shock. That couldn’t be a regular occurrence surely?? Check in wasn't great as we didn’t get our guest pass that you show to prove to bar staff etc that you are on all inclusive, so we had to remedy that with the rep the next day (as we were unaware that this was policy - I had never done the "all inclusive" thing before). We were then shown to our room. 5 star? Not on your life. Don’t get me wrong, they were nice but nothing special.
It should be said that we were there in the first 2 weeks of November, which it has been said, is the best time to go. Unfortunately we found his to be false. It rained heavily for 8 of the 14 days, and only some of them recovered to be brighter later. This was obviously no fault of anyone's, rather just bad luck.

However, I should point out a few issues we had.
1. The food: NOT all inclusive. It covers 1 1/2 of the restaurants. That is, 1 restaurant is covered, one is partially covered with a limited menu, and the other (the best one) you have to pay. The other option is the buffet, which while it has food in abundance the quality wasn’t great.

2. The accommodation: Average. No more no less

3. The situation: It IS at the end of the runway, and do not believe otherwise. Perhaps small children will be amused and in awe to be so close to planes taking off - in which case they will enjoy Shandrani

4. The service: Tries hard, but we had a major issue with the management. To elucidate:
When you stay at a Beachcombers resort you can sample the other accommodation they have for 1 night (given availability) - we were delighted to do this as I had played golf at the Paradis earlier in the week and was looking forward to taking my girlfriend to this hotel to sample some real 5star service. We arranged with the Shandrani to do so and merrily went on our way. Later that day at the golf course I received a call at the club house to ask why I had not moved all our stuff from our room back at the Shandrani. I told them that I simply was NEVER told that I had to do so. I was asked to see the management at Shandrani when I came back.
Anyway, we stayed at the Paradis that day, night and left at midday to travel back. Arriving back at the Shandrani, several messages were left on our phone requesting that we see the check in desk. When we did so, we were told, in no uncertain terms, that we would have to pay a full night extra cost, as they had not been able to rent out our room. This amazed me (the Hotel was NOT full by any means). We protested that had we been told we needed to pack our suitcases and vacate our room for 1 night, we would have done so. But the simple fact was we were not told this information.
I asked to see the manager, who quite simply was having none of it. Apparently reasoned argument and listening were not skills he participated in. I felt we were treated shabbily and disrespectfully, and I eventually agreed to pay half of the fee for one extra night. It is not the money I objected to, it’s the insistence that WE did something wrong, when the service provided actually failed to explain any conditions. That is the responsibility of the Hotel, not the client.

This topped off our holiday.

I am so glad we did not get married here, as we had discussed it. Instead we married in April in Santa Barbara, and what a good decision that was. Unlike our initial decision on Hotels in Mauritius. Take my advice, pay a little extra, go to the Paradis, its wonderful. Avoid the Shandrani."

• Travel date: Wed 18th of January 2006

Not too shabby Shandrani

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"I have just spent two weeks in Mauritius staying at the Shandrani hotel. The hotel had excellent facilities and was extremely popular. Although the hotel was quite superb in many areas it had some flaws to be aware of prior to electing to vacate there. The superior room would be suitable to a newly married couple with a well established relationship or to a single person vacating alone. Anyone who did not fit into this category would not comfortably stay in the superior room and should elect a new hotel or rather choose to stay in the deluxe room. The room was completely open with 1 enclosed room encompassing the toilet making it awkward to shower or receive any form of privacy, creating an awkward situation.
This was not the only flaw attributed to the hotel, with the hotels position being imperfect, being located roughly ten minutes from the airport. However this is a minor flaw with a sporadic scattering of flights passing over the quiet Mauritian airport.

The biggest case for concern would be in reference to the general breakfast hall where an abundance of birds encompass the area. With the threat of bird flew spreading rapidly, this risk would be a high priority on the General managers 'things to do list'. The birds create a health risk, as they are constantly surrounding the food and pestering the guests.

These were the main flaws in regards to the hotel, however the facilities and the sheer beauty of the Mauritius Island allowed for a tremendously enjoyed holiday."

• Travel date: Fri 13th of January 2006

Le Shandrani - excellent

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"I have stayed at Le Shandrani twice, five years apart. On both occasions we have had a wonderful time, it is extremely relaxed, the staff cannot do enough for you, even the deluxe rooms which are the cheaper ones are good, bathrooms are fitted out well and rooms very comfortable. There is evening entertainment every day, and this is varied. The snorkelling in the little cove is great, and children are safe in and around the hotel. We have always found the Le Shandrani excellent value, we have never done the all inclusive serenity package, we always choose half-board which is sufficient.
The sailing is excellent, winds are not too strong, but there is a big enough bay to enjoy. The tennis courts are floodlit, and the children played until very late in the evening. The gym is excellent, the hotel cloths shop was reasonably priced, the swimming pools large. All the other restaurant besides the main one where very good.
You get more than enough personal attention at Le Shandrani. The airport is close, but that is another bonus after a 12 hour flight.
I can heartily recommend it and would return tomorrow. I have just been to a similar priced hotel in Antigua, which wasn't a patch on Le Shandrani."

• Travel date: Thu 12th of January 2006

beautiful hotel!

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"This was a beautiful and fantastic hotel we went with our three year old and another couple with their near 2 year old. We have never experienced such fantastic food anywhere before, particularly the italian and seafood restaurants, the presentation of the food was amazing! the beaches were good and the wild beach was very romantic and special. All the staff were friendly and very helpful. If you want a fantastic trip out on a boat from the main beach find Wesley who will take you anywhere you like at a better price than the other boat trips on the beach. He is great with kids and speaks very good english and will give you a great trip out to see the rest of the island, waterfalls, snorkelling etc. A very memorable holiday in all. GO FIND WESLEY AND HIS BOAT ON THE BEACH!!"

• Travel date: Fri 16th of December 2005

Not so great for honeymooners

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"We spent 5 nights at The Shandrani after having spent 6 nights at Trou Aux Biches Hotel, which is also a Beachcomber hotel. We were on our honeymoon and were there at the end of Sept/beginning of October 05.

Our first impressions of Shandrani were "Wow" as it does have a spectacular entrance and is much bigger than TAB. The staff were also delightful and made us feel very special. We were given a room upgrade which meant we had slippers and robes in our room and the room was enormous! The beds at both hotels were so comfortable and very big. They made our kingsize seem very small when we got home!

We were on a fully inclusive deal called The Serenity package which included all meals, local alcoholic drinks and soft drinks. You could also raid your mini bar for free! There were several restaurants to choose from including a seafood and Italian restaurant but these incurred a supplement if you chose to eat from the al a carte menu. We tried them all and they were all serving delicious food.

There are also a few beaches to choose from but none of them really stuck out as anything that special. The nicest one is the more exposed beach which had proper waves as this one made you feel like you were on a paradise island. The others had a lush landscape on the horizon so seemed more like a lake than the ocean. There were also a lot of grass patches on the beach so you had to be quite clever when trying to capture that paradise island photograph.

We found the clientelle at Shandrani to be mostly families or larger groups rather than couples like at TAB. And for this reason we didn't enjoy it as much. It is also a much larger hotel so it didn't have that romantic intimate feeling that we found at TAB."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of November 2005

Hotels near Shandrani Beachcomber Resort & Spa

Top traveller tips for Shandrani Beachcomber Resort & Spa

• TheStokles by TheStokles

"The seafood BBQ at La Boucanier has got to be tried! "

Shandrani Beachcomber Resort & Spa is also called