Unbelievable service

Reviewed Wed 5th of October 2011

"We spent our honeymoon in this Hotel. It´s simply the best hotel service I've ever seen. The hotel staff thinks of everything you need and they seem to have a real pleasure in working there. I couldn´t think of a better place to spend a honeymoon or a wedding anniversary. "

• Travel date: Wed 5th of October 2011

My husband and I stayed here for two wee...

Reviewed Fri 4th of January 2008

"My husband and I stayed here for two weeks for our first wedding anniversary and really enjoyed it. The rooms are great, lovely bathroom area and we had a beautiful view of the ocean from our balcony.

The food was fantastic in the main restaurant although we didn't have a very good meal in the Alan Ducasse restaurant - food wasn't tasty, portions tiny and very expensive. Evening entertainment was low key but there was a bar in the middle of the pool area for a drink after dinner. Alcohol was far too expensive though, silly prices - My husband had never been more grateful that I was pregnant! :)

There was a relaxing pool at the Spa and the beach was clean with plenty of sun beds; the waiters on the beach were really friendly, nothing was too much trouble. We were assigned a butler at the beginning of our stay. Not a service we utilised much but on our wedding anniversary, he did deliver a complimentary champagne breakfast and decorated our room as a surprise in the evening whilst we were at dinner, with flowers and candles, which was a nice touch.

The hotel also helped my husband arrange a surprise private dinner on the beach for our wedding anniversary with a log fire and our own chef to do a bbq under the stars. It would have been lovely had it not been cancelled - bbq under the rain clouds doesn't work!

Generally staff were good, friendly, and polite, apart from in the main restaurants where they must have been under strict orders to plug the wine, because it didn't matter how many times we told them I was pregnant & couldn't drink they continuously pestered us with the wine menu which was a shame.

We had a very relaxing stay, with good food, no drinking (a first!) and generally lazy days. If you like doing nothing, in pretty surroundings and have plenty of money to buy a drink, give it a try!"

• Travel date: Fri 4th of January 2008

I have to say the room accommodation (Ju...

Reviewed Tue 29th of May 2007

"I have to say the room accommodation (Junior suite) was first class. That is all I can say good about the two weeks.

The standard half board restaurant was of poor quality, sometimes cold from the buffet.

The main switch off to the dinning was the invasion of birds at all meal times, crawling all over the cutlery and messing the chairs ruining a number of good cloths.

The food was poorly covered with birds and flies in among the food (mainly at breakfast).

The restaurant staff where totally overpowering, far too on your face at meal times.

The entertainment was of a good quality but the bar/seating area was crammed on a small Island in the middle of the pool with little opportunity to mix with other holiday people

Don’t’ mention the cost of drinks. With wine at £40 TO £80 a bottle killed any possible enjoyment at meal times.

All this could be me, but I don’t’ think so. For our 40th wedding the money would have been better spent elsewhere."

• Travel date: Tue 29th of May 2007

Wonderful Wonderful - A luxurious, special hotel - a real gem.

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"Le Saint Geran is a very special hotel. My husband and I love the Four Seasons Group, as we know that where ever we go, the standard of service will be the same. We didn't think the Four Seasons could be beaten, but the St Geran has to be the best hotel I have ever stayed at.

We moved to the St Geran after staying at the very disappointing Taj Exotica in Mauritius. We arrived at Le Saint Geran literally for lunch and ended up checking in! This hotel has it all. Service is outstanding, its genuine, sincere and warm. Staff are mature, experienced and professional. The location of the hotel is breathtaking, the white beach is a little piece of paradise. The beach service is perfect. We loved the water sports, and spent hours in the lagoon waters ski-ing. Dining at the St Geran is again a wonderful experience, the standard of cuisine is that of a top star restaurant. To highlight the attention to detail at this hotel, I forgot my contact lenses and the waiter brought me a selection of prescription clear glasses to borrow so I could read the menu! They have thought of everything.

The bar area is the focal point, there is a great atmosphere and the setting is just perfect. The entertainment is again top class. An 8 piece band with a few singers, where guests could listen or make their way to the dance floor. I cannot stress enough how enjoyable an experience you will have at this hotel - you get carried away with the pure luxury of it.

We have already booked to go back next year and are taking my parents with us as we want to share this fabulous hotel with others. Its a real gem in the Indian Ocean. Simply wonderful."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of November 2006

perfect place to relax

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"We booked this hotel for our honeymoon. It was the perfect end to a wonderful wedding. All the staff went beyond what i would call service - they loved their work and nothing was too much trouble. The hotel was outstanding. We travel quite a lot and i would say this was one of the best hotels and locations that we have stayed at. I asked my husband, if he change anything what would it be? he couldn't find fault with anything, so doesn't that just speak for itself!"

• Travel date: Tue 31st of October 2006

Le Saint Geran-wonderful hotel-hints and tips!

Reviewed Wed 17th of October 2012

"We have just come back from what could possibly be the best hotel on Earth! Everything you could possibly wish for was catered for. It is situated on a huge beautiful white sand beach, with all the suites overlooking either the cove or the ocean and coral reef. The staff are wonderful, nothing is too much trouble and we found that we didn't have to ask for anything - it was always thought of beforehand and provided! Even a box of different strength glasses when my husband had left his in the room! All the other things from the other reviewers were there including the beach services (all free), but I wanted to add a list of things that I wished I had known beforehand which might be helpful to others going to this wonderful hotel. I.e. things I wouldn't have needed to pack etc.
The complimentary items in the Junior Suite were: Shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, bath salts, bath oil, body lotion and soap. Also: Emery board, cuticle stick, cotton wool pads, cotten wool balls, shower caps, small hand towels (which doubled up as flannels) larger hand towels/ hair towels, large bath towels, towelling bath robes AND lighter bath robes (people often wore either of these on beach or pools) and slippers. Also in room were: mosquito repellent machine, oil burner, make up mirror with magnified side, safe, hairdryer, clothes brush, shoe horn, fresh fruit every day and bottled of water and fresh ice replenished twice a day. There is a fridge mini bar which will hold extra items and a cupboard mini bar with half bottles of just about all spirits, wine & champagne, plus the relevent glasses. There is a large tv with a dvd player which will play cds and a bedside alarm clock. There is also air- con and a ceiling fan. The huge bed has a cover change twice a day, with petals and chocs for the evening! You won't need beach towels.

We didn't really rate the Spoons restaurant - it was nice, but not nice enough for the price! Le Terrasse and Paul et Virginie were included in our half board, and they were superb! My husband thought Le Touessrok main restaurant was like a motorway caff in comparison. In Le Terrasse, absolutely everything is fresh and/or homemade, even the ice creams and petit fours, whilst at Le Touessrok, tinned peaches were on the menu one night!

Things I would recommend you take or avoid: As the hotel is out on it's own it is not cost effective to go into Belle Mare to buy stuff so:-Take: A travel iron as the laundry service is expensive (there's a handy granite work top in the room! And a washing line in the huge shower), biscuits/and or nibbles for mid day as the food is very expensive (but one meal is plenty for two people-they are huge, especially the beach boxes), buy duty free drink at home airport for your room as the drinks are very expensive-there is a large import duty in Mauritius for their drinks and coupled with the fact it is an expensive hotel, the average drink costs between £6 and £9, cocktails are the best value as rum is made in Mauritius and a small beer is about £3 as its local. The cheapest bottle of wine is about £20! I noted this from other reviewers but thought it would be a bit naff to take our own into dinner so we didn't bother. If you smoke, buy duty free at home airport and take them with you, a pack of Marlborough Lights costs £6 at the hotel. Take plenty of high factor sun cream - the weather is glorious and the gentle breezes stop it from feeling hot and sticky, it is easy to forget that you are only 20 degrees south of the equater and you will burn!! I got burnt one day sitting in the shade as the suns rays bounce of the white sand!
Avoid: The beach sellers! All beaches in Mauritius are public so the Saint Geran is lucky being on a peninsular away from everything, which means that the only outsiders you see are these pests! Having said that, they are the politest ones I have ever encountered and will go away if you ignore them or say a polite (but firm)no thanks, if you show any interest they will not leave you alone and empty all their wares out which makes it difficult to turn them down. Don't buy from them as I suspected they were quite organised (they would get on their mobiles to each other!) rather than poor souls trying to eek out an existance! Their mark up is huge and you can buy these things in Belle Mare much cheaper if you want to.

As with most expensive hotels, anything not complimentary is very expensive and no matter how much money you have, no-one likes to be ripped off - so I hope I have saved you from that! Be aware that you can be offered something without being told the tariff.

As an aside, we went from 25th Sept to 5th Oct and the weather was fine - it did cloud up often during the day but it was never cold, and when it rains it clears up very quickly. The breeze on the east coast that we all read about is very welcome and is gentle!"

• Travel date: Sun 8th of October 2006

Ultra relaxing & truly amazing service!

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"We travelled to Mauritius in September which was our first holiday with our 4 month old baby. We wouldn't normally go for that whole two-weeks-on-a-beach-type holiday but given our sheer exhaustion, we wanted to really chill out, rather than travelling around India / trekking the Amazon etc. Previous long haul beach holidays have included the usual supsects in the Carribean, the Maldives, Bora Bora etc. and there is no doubt that French Polynesia is by far and away the most beautiful of those types of destination, however, the reason we chose Mauritius was for its repuation for excellent service and great food - we were certainly not disappointed. Have checked out various hotels on Trip Advisor, I would probably have normally gone for Le Prince Maurice, however, we felt that Le Saint Geran would probably have the edge with us now having a baby etc. That's not to say that it's not amazing for couples too - in fact, it's probably better to leave the kids behind and just enjoy it all!

Upsides: The staff are unbelievable and the service is fantastic. Mauro, the GM, is divine and has a wonderful team. There is a choice of 3 restaurants at Le Saint Geran, plus you can also dine at their sister hotel, Le Tousserok. Our favourites were "Spoon" at LSG and the fabulous Indian restaurant, "Saran" at LT. The beach service is great too - including someone coming round to your lounger just to polish your sunglasses! The Givenchy Spa is excellent too - every treatment we had was fabulous. NB a fabulous touch was having your butler offering to unpack for you!

Downsides: We absolutely loved LSG but it's not a super-gorgeous design-led hotel like Le Prince Maurice. It was recently refurbished, but it was one of those refurbishments were they didn't change the look of the hotel at all so you may find it slightly 1970s but in the best possible way - I think this was to keep the repeat guests happy (who make up around 60% of their clientele which is always a great sign). Bizarrely, the evening entertainment actually falls into both the "upside" and "downside" categories - namely because the band(s) are really very good but it can get a little cheesy sometimes.

Kids: The Kids Club is amazing and their facilities for babies are exceptional. When we drew up at the hotel, the kids club manager, Fabrice, was there to greet Luke (by name - very impressive!) and told us that we'd be given the same babysitter every day/night for the duration of our stay. We had a fabulous girl called Reena who was lovely - she looked after Luke every evening and for 3 hours in the afternoon so we really did have a proper holiday ourselves! On arrival in our room there was a steriliser, baby towel, nappy bin, babywipes, shampoo, babyoil etc. - in fact a whole basket of goodies. Even better, all children's laundry is done free and comes back, tissue wrapped (!) the same day.

Mauritius: whilst the island itself is not particularly interesting (and most other guests we spoke to recommended not bothering with any of the tours or going into the capital of Port Louis) the people are lovely and have a fabulous attitude towards tourism. One of the best places for chilling out but don't expect too much excitement other than the watersports or getting a hole in one on Le Tousserok golf course.

Airport tip: ask your hotel about the VIP airport service - I think it costs about £80 per person (or maybe per couple) but it totally avoids having to queue up for check-in and has an amazing lounge.

Le Prince Maurice: we took a taxi out to Le Prince Maurice for lunch one day and dinner on another. We also had a great showround of the hotel and their rooms and can report back that it really is gorgeous - the pool & beach are lovely and all public areas are super stylish - also to be recommended.

Overall: we LOVED Le Saint Geran and can't recommend it highly enough - hopefully we'll go back every year!"

• Travel date: Wed 4th of October 2006

Deserved reputation as the best hotel on Mauritius

Reviewed Wed 10th of October 2012

"This hotel defines luxury, service and quality.

The bricks and mortar are excellent with good resources, a beautiful 9 hole golf course and free activities including water ski-ing. Rooms are well equipped without being over-modern. The property is constantly maintained.

However it is the staff that provide the soul. Without exception and in every area we found the staff to be exceptional. Friendly, caring and interested in making your holiday perfect.

Don't go on a budget, this level of luxury comes at a price (worth paying in our view) and drinks are quite expensive. The food is great and plentiful.
tip 1 Share a beach basket unless you are very hungry.
tip 2 ask for cappucino from the bar, their strong coffee is the only thing that lets then down.
tip 3 - save up and transfer by helicopter for 15minutes of exhiliration compared to an hour of mixed quality roads."

• Travel date: Sun 24th of September 2006

Mauritius Superb - Best Food ??

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We went to Mauritius for a 2nd time on a once in a lifetime trip and stayed in Le Tousserok for 14 days - superb - all in all whole trip couldn't be faulted with the exception of the food at supposedly "one of the best restaurants in the world" within Le Saint Geran. I booked a suprise romantic meal for two at the hotel for Valentines night and along we went. Unfortunately the food was not up to scratch - we didn't finish the starters or main courses as it was overdone. Despite this having a great reputation, none of the waiting staff asked if anything was wrong and when I mentioned to one that I thought the food was a bit overdone, they said sorry but that was that. We completed the questionairre and wrote about the poor dining experience and received a letter advising that we should have made a formal complaint to the manager on the night, but no offer of anything complimentary by way of an apology etc (not that we will be going back to Mauritius until we cash in the pension or win the lottery). I was surprised and disappointed that such a highly rated restaurant and world reknowned chef would not be concerned to receive unfinished dishes back into the kitchen without any question.
Be advised that this is also a costly restaurant and just becuase it has the a reknowned chef underwriting it, it does not mean that the food is stupendous. Le Tousserok's selection and quality was miles better in our opinion."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of July 2006

Beautiful spot. Wonderful staff.

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"It has all been said by previous reviewers. I was very sceptical regarding the "One & Only" marketing concept before experiencing it's actuality, but I have to say that I couldn't have been more wrong. Kanuhura (Maldives) was our first experience, it was faultless. Expectations were therefore high, and Le St Geran exceeded them. Like just about every other reviewer, we have visited many internationally famous / trendy / glitsy etc,etc hotels, but for utter relaxation and laid back (rather than 'in your face') elegance, St Geran takes some beating.
Our standard suite was tastefully appointed and had everything you could possibly want..except a kettle. The butler thing was there if you wanted it, not under your feet if you didn't. There were dozens of comfortable, well spaced beach loungers with little blue flags for service, or red for no I don't want my Raybans polishing, a canape, chilled fruit, or fresh bottle of water thank you.
We were half board, which after the breakfast buffet was frankly all we wanted. The food in the 'basic' restaurant was exceptional by restaurant standards.. astonishing by hotel standards. The Ducasse 'Spoon' restaurant was uber-cool in design and well up there with the London big names in terms of quality (and a wee bit behind them in price which came as an unexpected bonus). A "light" lunch in the restaurant on the jetty arrived as an east-west fusion near banquet on a huge multi sectioned tray which would have fed four. Just how the uniformly charming staff all seemed to know your name within five minutes of arrival was a trick worthy of Paul Daniels!
As regards the great Touessrok v St Geran debate.. we spent a lovely day there, but preferred the rather more relaxed ambience of Geran, although were one something big in derivatives, the red braces would probably be more at home at Touessrok.
In a nutshell, it's not the Burj Al Arab in terms of bling, but for an understated, grown up, de-stress week or two, I'd say they've got it about right. Think Bvlgari for Burj Al Arab, Rolex for Touessrok, and Patek Philippe for Saint Geran."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of June 2006

Best indian food in the world

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"The indian food at saffran, Toussarouk was stunning as was the service, found that saint geran was living on its past reputation, Ile de spoons resturant Maitre d was cross between Lionel Blair and Mr Bean, If you were french no problem, English don't bother. Hotel was very much geared for the french visitor, for example in the spa there was not even an english magazine everything was in french. This was our second visit to Saint Geran, we were married there 16 yrs ago, then it was exclusive now its just ordinary."

• Travel date: Wed 14th of December 2005

Above excellent.

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"We got engaged at the Saint Geran four years ago and spent our honeymoon there three years ago (also one week at Tousserok). We had no complains about anything whatsoever. Everything was superb, food, service, drinks, spa, beach, watersports, pool.....everything. ..... In fact the reason i am writing this review is because we intend to go back there with our first child and wanted to get some comments on the kids club. :-)
In a nutshell this is A1. You will not be disappointed."

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of July 2005