Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Wellness Resort

2080

Truly Fabulous!

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"Myself, husband and baby son Nicholas (13months) have just returned from a fabulous 10day break at LeTelfair where we stayed in a deluxe room. This was our third trip to Mauritius, but our first 'long-haul' with Nicholas and we were a little anxious. We should not have worried however as LeTelfair helped make everything perfect. Where do I start: on arrival we were greeted with cold towels and a cool drink, all very welcome after a long flight. Our deluxe room was beautifully appointed with an exceptionally large bathroom and a large balcony with sea views. The food at the Hotel was of a very high standard, we dined at both Anabellas and Ginja where we enjoyed some wonderful dishes, especially the extensive seafood menu at Ginjas. The beach and pool facilities were excellent, as were the staff and service at le Palmier where we lunched most days. My husband played golf a number of times commenting the course was in great condition. I enjoyed the spa - a peaceful experience. The treats left daily were a delight :). There were a couple of moans - the paving within the hotel grounds is not suited for push-chairs so if staying with babies take a baby-sling, and we were a little peeved that Anabellas often had an excess on the main course on a few occasions. These aside though the hotel is rated as 5 star and this is very much deserved. This is the best hotel we have stayed at in Mauritius and we will definitely return.

The main highlight for us as first time parents was the staff - they just loved Nicholas!! They could not do enough to assist Nicholas in anyway, cots and highchairs aside, little things such as providing baby towels, providing baby milk, requesting details of our dining arrangements for the day and ensuring Nicholas had customised baby purees always available, 'treats' at Le Palmier, and helping amuse him whilst mummy and daddy enjoyed dinner were much appreciated! At Anabellas and Le Palmier in particular staff were always very attentive, very efficient and nothing was ever too much trouble.

Again, a fabulous hotel and holiday."

• Travel date: Tue 30th of May 2006

Perfect wedding but service could be be improved

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"We stayed at the hotel in April & got married at the resort
The wedding went perfectly - the sun shone on the day (but 2 days before at the exact time we were getting married it was pouring!)
We had our wedding meal at Ginja's which was excellent & the staff there were superb.
I thought Mauritius was beautiful.
The hotel was lovely but there were few little niggles with them - none of which were major but they all added up.
We had to ask 5 times to get our balcony light fixed.
Every time we ordered room service thay got the order wrong.
The balcony door latch broke & we repeatedly asked for that to get fixed but it never did.
On our first day there the 2nd room key went missing from our room - we know we did not take it out as we were together & only took one key - we mentioned it to reception & to Katia who organised the wedding & they could not find it & told us we would have to pay for a new one - we searched the room - still not there so a few days later we said again to Katia about this & she investigated & said it had just turned up from housekeeping...... - it seemed to us to be a scam to get money as we know it was taken from the room probably by the cleaner.
Also on our first night we ate at Annabella's - lovely meal - I had a bottle of wine which I did not finish so they said they would keep it for me for the next night. The next evening we went I asked for my wine - they could not find it - I had no drink for half an hour until they decided they really had lost the bottle & then got given one and a half glasses of wine instead of half a bottle. A five star establishment should not leave you for half an hour with no drink whilst they get everyone to look for half a bottle of wine & then only replace it with a glass and a half.
Also we were not impressed that even though we had paid for half board every evening at Annabella's at least one dish had a surcharge to pay if you wanted it - alot of the time it was seafood & I am sorry but when on an island in the Indian Ocean you really should not have to pay extra for seafood of all things!
In the wedding package we were told we would get fruit, champagne in the room, pareo & t shirt etc
We had to ask for these - we got the fruit & sparkling wine (not champagne) a day or so after we asked but on our last night we had to ask again for the t shirt & pareo - i did not like having to ask for these things as i felt like I was asking for a present which felt rude.
We had a lovely meal at the Chateau where the wine was included as part of the wedding package too but we had to pay for the tea & coffee at the end of the meal.
The food was delicious though but paying for tea & coffee did seem a tad tight.
We had a wonderful time but all these things did take the edge off it - in general the hotel was wonderful but for a five star hotel I did expect some of the service to be better & did feel thay were trying to squeeze every penny out of people & I dont want you to think it is because we do not like spending money - we spent a fortune getting treatments at the spa etc at the hotel which was a wonderful place - absolutely beautiful & very relaxing.
There were an awful lot of children there when we were there - some obviously as it was the Easter holidays but many were not of school age & at the evening meals they spent an awful lot of time running noisily around the restaurant - not how you imagine your honeymoon.
One evening we went for dinner at a neighbouring hotel to visit family who had come out for our wedding & our taxi driver who was organised by the hotel charged us 5 times as much than the taxi organised by the other hotel to do the same journey.
It was a good holiday though and I hope you dont think I am moaning unecessarily as none of the issues were massive problems.
The wedding was wonderful, the hotel is beautiful and the rooms are immaculate."

• Travel date: Sun 14th of May 2006

Absolute perfection!

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"We have just returned from a 2 week stay at Le Telfair for our honeymoon & I can honestly say that it was without question the most wonderful hotel we have ever stayed at. A TRUE 5 star experience.
From the moment you arrive the host who greets you periodically pops up to ensure your stay is going well - our host often cecked in with us at dinner to make sure we were happy and offer advice. She was also there to see us off when we left - now that is amazing customer service.
I think that's what helps make Le Telfair so so special - the people, it certainly is a beautiful resort - but, the staf are out of this world. Nothing is too much trouble - we especially found the staff at Cavendish bar & Ginja's to be wonderful.
The only thing that I would say is that Annabella's - the restaurant where you take your meals if on half board is not a patch on Ginja's - it is good & the menu varied etc. However if you eat at Ginja's you will want to stay there - hence we had a VERY hefty bill on departure. Annabella's is good - but slow & the staff not so attentive. Fair enough as they are dealing with far more people.
This was our choice however, and Annabella's is fine - Ginja's is Great!

All in all we had the most amazing honeymoon & would not hesitate to return to Le Telfair in a second.
The staff are out of this world & everyone at Cavendish Bar and Ginja's - we thank you for making our honeymoon so memorable.

Leigh & Mark Wilson."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of April 2006

An honest review

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"Why 3 stars – OK its probably worth four, but please read and then decided if its right for you – it also has one fundamental flaw for families which is why I would not go back.

There are too many good reviews for this hotel(!) I am surprised that others have not picked up on these points…

I did like this hotel quite a lot, but it misses what I would call 5 star status - if Michelin star, Relais & Chateaux etc are your ideas of 5 stars then you will think Le Telfair is definitely four star rating – in Mauritius though the rating system seems rather over generous.

It’s not so much as any one thing was wrong, just a load of small things that annoy you – plus the one fundamental flaw.

The Bad:

There is no snorkelling off the beach i.e. no fish life at all – they take you by boat twice a day
The hotel is not on its own – the distinct impression given in the marketing material. There are two big hotels close by and building works down the road for more.
The English are here is droves – lots of Joshys, Julians and Jemimas from Notting Hill – also one or two ‘emerald green’ polyester shirt and white sock owners made appearances.
The flies by the pool lunch bar make eating there totally unbearable – my family spent most of our lives living in the tropics and we’ve never seen it this bad.
For every one human there are 100,000 ants – no exaggeration
All the restaurants shared the same terrible wine list – petrol station wines (Lindermans, Penfolds etc) that cost retail £5-£7 being sold for £30+ plus! The very few half decent wines, at ridiculous prices. Serious flaw for a so called five star.
Every other bill had mistakes (always in favour of the hotel!)
Staff were unsure what menu should be used for kids in which restaurant – I got overcharged!
Adults have always finished their lunch before the kids meal has even turned up at lunch.
There is only enough tables for lunch at the pool bar for about 20% of the hotels capacity – same with sun beds on the beach which were all reserved before breakfast.
Beds, and especially the pillows (sponge filled) - cheap…
45 minutes to get ice delivered to your room, every time
If the hotel can’t cope at 50% occupancy – hate to think what happens when it eventually gets popular.
The weather is only good in December and January – through no fault of the hotels.
The Chateaux – another restaurant is very good, but book it before you arrive as it is full all the time – you can use your half board here too.

The real major flaw:

In addition to no snorkelling, there is a very ‘dangerous’ current that sweeps down the beech – unless your children are over 10 and very competent simmers, ‘do not’ let them out in the sea on their own. The hotel should warn guests of this before bookings are made and this is what ruined my hols. Grown adults swimming crawl against the flow were still going backwards!

The Good

Half board is excellent – a la carte, though not Michelin star, it sure tries, and we had no complaints at all on our evening food
Kids half board first class – fresh fish and all things healthy.
Good size pool
Even at Easter it was less than half full
Kids club – not our thing, but it was very good
Great gym
Great sports facilities
Rooms are well appointed – except for the mattress and pillows

Overall its alright and if you get a tempting deal, have no kids, no desire to swim in the sea and have little taste for wine and enjoy flies, then its for you. If not, then look at the other established five stars in Mauritius."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of April 2006

A little bit of paradise

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"I have to say there isnt much I can add to the already glowing reviews of this hotel. The Telfair is by far the best place we have every stayed. My husband knows that in most cases we always move rooms and we didnt on this occasion so that in its self is a testimony. The staff are superb - very attentive without being obtrusive and the layout of the hotel is excellent. Nothing is too much trouble and the attention to detail is excellent.
We did a day trip of the south coast and it is breathtaking and I really liked the people they have such a pride in everything they do. The sunsets were amazing and I havent had so much pampering for a very long time. Wish we were still there! One thing for us the seafood restaurant on the beach was our best dining exp the Chateau is lovely but didnt quite do it for us."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of March 2006

Heaven between the beach and the golf course

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"When you arrive at The Telfair, you cannot fail to be impressed by the beautiful landscaping, and as you go to your room you wander through beautiful gardens with the blue sea in the background.
The rooms are spacious and beautifully appointed, though with one or two minor housekeeping problems. There are three restaurants, all offering truly excellent french creole cooking, and the Mauritian smile on the face of the staff is always present - truly the staff could not do too much for anybody.
When you are ready for golf, you and your clubs are driven a short distance to The Chateau Course - golf was included in our room rate, and the course is spectacular with great views over the ocean, but keep your ball straight!
We will certainly go back"

• Travel date: Wed 1st of February 2006

Pure Luxury

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"We arrived at the hotel and upon our arrival we were welcomed like we were royalty. The hotel is first class from the standard of the rooms, to the first class food. The kids had the time of there life in the kids club which made our holiday even better. Other 5 star hotels could learn alot from this hotel. The general manager Richard cant do enough for his guests. I would not hesitate to return to one of the best hotels i have stayed in!!!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of January 2006

wow

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"One thing i can say. A lot of 5 star hotels and resorts could learn a lot from le telfair.
Great great hotel. I recommend it to everyone.

Talking about sevice,i have NEVER experienced the level of service i recieved at le telfair. It is unbelievable.

The beach is great, food is incredible and you need to expeience the service in person,

I played a lot of golf. It starts out with a short lift to the course, where you confirm your tee off time. By the time you exit the club house, your clubs etc are all waiting for you next to the first tee.

When we finished, one of the staff greets you at the clubhouse with a cold wet towel for refreshment.
The clubs are then taken away, cleaned and stores for your next visit. UNBELIEVABLE.

We took a drive up to grand Bay, and was very impressed. It is a complete different scenario. If you are looking for hustle and bustle of shops, nightclubs etc, then i would suggest Grand Bay.
If you are looking to get away for it all, Le Telfair is very highly recommended.

Great job to all at Le Telfair.

Daniel"