Good
( 2084 reviews)
Good

Not 5 star although it thinks it is

Reviewed Fri 2nd of December 2016

"Stayed here with my husband for 8 days after a wonderful few days in Madagascar. Firstly the pluses. The grounds are fabulous and the position is lovely. There are lots of different areas to sunbathe. Around the pool, the cove, the lagoon , the infinity pool or around the man made beach. That is where this place wins. However we stayed in a deluxe room which was nicely appointed, but didn't have the wow factor. It was cleaned daily, but our shower wasn't touched for 3 days and the shower screen wasn't cleaned the entire time. Not a big thing I realize, but not 5 star. The complimentary toiletries were pretty poor too. The staff in the main were lovely, but the service was very hit and miss and you often waited ages if you asked for anything. The food was poor. Neither my husband or myself had a really good meal. It was repetitive and bland. Breakfast was ok, but you can't really mess that up. My biggest moan would have to be the cost of drinks. Water cost nearly £4 a large plastic bottle! Scandalous when it's a complete necessity and you can get the same in the local super u for 80p. Other drinks were very expensive a g and t and a small beer was £15. Cheapest bottle of wine was £20. Seems a lot when the rooms are already pricey. The spa was ok. Nice massage and £60 for 50 minutes , so not too bad. All in all for us it does not deliver a 5 star product and needs some work and stop charging for water.... appalling"

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of December 2016

Disappointment

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"After reading lots of mixed reviews of Paradise Cove, our travel agent reassured us it was fantastic and we decided to go ahead and stay there for our honeymoon.

We went to South Africa first and going to heaven after visiting SouthAfrica would have been a disappointment, so maybe I am being a little too harsh!

I hated Mauritius and Paradise Cove. The weather was rainy and windy, the food - discusting and made us stink, the setting was false and the entertainmnrt was tacky and naff - what you'd expect from a working mans club.

The thing that annoyed me most was the staff's forced attempt at good service. They were intrusive and pushy. When we were sat relaxing they interupted us, asked us our room number and, then spoke to us by name, as if they had learnt parrot fashion the names of every guest.

In summary - I'd advise anyone not to visit this hotel. I felt like a was on a cheap package holiday to Spain - not that there's anything wrong with cheap package holidays to Spain - we just paid a fortune to visit an Indian Ocean Island. The food was lovely from the a la carte menu although this cost a fortune and likewise, telephone calls to home nearly caused us to have to remortgage our home. ( We spoke to the manager on departure about this and we got 70% off all phone calls made). DONT DO IT! Go to the Lion Sands on Safari instaed!!"

• Travel date: Thu 21st of September 2006

perfect!

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"My new husband and i have just returned from our honeymoon at Paradise Cove, and all we can say is you have to go! I read reviews prior to going, and each to their own, but none of the complaints mentioned were evident during our stay. The attention to detail from arrival, like been greeted and congratulated on our wedding and a lotus flower been placed behind my ear, appeared to be just the beginning. Fresh flowers floating in bowls, rose petals dotted around the bathroom were again small tokens but greatly received. The service throughout the whole hotel is impeccable. The maids and gardeners even stop what they are doing as you walk round to greet you, and only once you've passed do they continue with their work. All the staff cannot do enough for you, unlike here in Britain! The pool was a nice surprise, although on the cool side. The food fantastic and selection great. My husband was a chef for 8 years and when we go out he is hard to please but even he said the chef's are passionate about their work and their knowledge varied. If there was something not there, like a crossient one morning, ten minutes later one was brought to us fresh from the oven-this hotel just never failed. The only advice i would give is go all inclusive. We initially went half board and up- graded on the third day as we had spent alot. By doing this our bill at the end of our stay was a third of what we would have spent been half board!!
Overall though what a place. We cannot talk about it enough and would definatley return. Paradise Cove has given me a taste for 5 star hotels, excellent food and most importantly impeccable service, one thing my husband isn't thanking them for!"

• Travel date: Tue 19th of September 2006

Nice, but not perfect.

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"Paradise Cove is a nice hotel, but it is not 5-star perfect.

The service was generally very good, although at times the beach staff were a little pushy (especially when trying to get you to have a cocktail...at €9 a time!)

The rooms were good, attractive and comfortable with lovely bathrooms. The resort as a whole was very pretty and well kept, we liked the private sunbathing spots on the headland.

As many of the previous reviews have said, the food and drink was extortionate - you definitely had to make the most of the happy hours. Breakfasts were generally good - a reasonable amount of choice and of decent quality. The evening meals were not quite so good - the buffets weren't great but the A la carte was better. The private restaurant overlooking the beach is a nice idea, makes a change from the standard restaurant, but it was VERY expensive. As we were honeymooning, we had a Candelight dinner too which was good. The food generally was of a good standard.

I probably wouldn't stay here agin, but that's more to do with not liking Mauritius that much, than not being happy with the hotel. Thought the island would be more diverse given the mixture of cultures who share it. It's a shame there isn't more to show for this diversity."

• Travel date: Wed 13th of September 2006

First Class

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"My wife and I have just returned from our honeymoon in Paradise Cove and we were not disappointed. Our room was very nice although the view of the Cove/Ocean was mostly obstructed by palm trees. During our eleven day stay we didn’t have one complaint/problem with the housekeeping or fixtures/fittings. Fresh flowers and clean towels (x2) without fail every day. The hotel grounds were stunning and tidy – I have never seen so many staff gardening and flower arranging! The food (quality and variety) was the best I have ever experienced. Although not a big seafood eater, I promised myself that I would try some of the local fish dishes, after all we were visiting an island in the Indian Ocean, and I must say I enjoyed every meal. The hotel cat hardly got a look in around the restaurant. I would like to re-iterate other reviewer’s sentiments about the staff. They were extremely attentive, helpful and friendly. A tipping pool was provided in reception so guests were never under any pressure in this respect.

The only complaints we have are fairly minor – i.e. there were some children at the hotel which we had not anticipated because the they are not really catered for, hire of snorkelling gear was restricted to certain times during the day and the entertainment (nightly) was sometimes quite average - having said that the local Sega and Jazz nights were very good. Although use of the spa, drinks at the bar (happy hour 6-7p.m.) and lunch was quite pricey we did not feel that these were extortionate like other reviewers. This wasn’t exactly Magaluf after all!

Overall we had a fantastic time and would recommend Paradise Cove to anyone wishing for a romantic and relaxing holiday."

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of August 2006

Relaxing but a little disappointing

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"This was the final portion of our honeymoon trip and had been booked as an opportunity for us to relax and generally unwind before returning to normality back in the UK.

On the upside the hotel was very pretty and there were lots of nice touches in the decor, however overall we were slightly disappointed by the experience.

Whilst the beach staff were great, making an effort to speak to you and learn your names, the majority of staff referred to us by our room numbers only and we felt like commodities. Considering it's supposed to be 5 star there was nothing included and the staff are obviously briefed to extract every possible penny from you. Prices within the hotel were extortionate, internet access which you might expect to be free in a hotel of this style was prohibitive. The bar closed early (although this was probably a good thing in view of the pices charged!) and although the food was generally very good there was no real choice.

We did relax, which was the main point of our stay, met nice people and generally enjoyed ourselves but it didn't feel as special as you would expect somewhere to be on your honeymoon and in no way lived up to the experiences that others have experienced on honeymoons in the Maldives etc."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of August 2006

What a hotel!!

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"I have just returned from the Paradise Cove Hotel (yesterday!!). We have travelled widely over the last thirty years and can honestly say that we have NEVER been better looked after. The beach staff were wonderful and catered for your every need. Hosekeeping were at the end of the phone and reacted immediately to concerns etc. We had fantastic service in the dining areas. We are not particularly fond of seafood and, although we were on an island, this caused not a jot of difference. Our menu was altered and ALL food was of a high standard. Bar areas were friendly and efficient.

Management (Jacques and Farhaad) acted as though it was their mission to ensure that the enjoyment of your holiday was their sole aim in life. They coud not be faulted. the holiday surpassed our expectations. You MUST visit.
Thankyou - Paradise Cove."

• Travel date: Mon 14th of August 2006

5 star it's not .but...

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"Having read some of the reviews about ths hotel, I felt that I should add some of mine. we stayed at this hotel and three years later, still talk about it as one of the nicest hotels we have stayed at for its service, surroundings and food. Being one half of an indian/ european couple, we found the food to be excellent, authentic and varied. Where else would you get dosas for breakfast one day, french crepes the next and traditional caribbean the next- and all freshly cooked in front of you? 5 star it's not, but having stayed at enough 5 star Hiltons/ Marriotts/ and Plazas I find them all a little tedious and in the same mould.The staff may be efficicient and polite at these places, but lack the genuine 'get to know you' friendliness of Paradise Cove. As for the lack of facilities nearby, we found it a great excuse to get out walk and see the real Mauritius, rather than being surrounded by th endless T shirt and souvenir shops that we found when we visited the other resorts in Mauuritius. What we found to be a real disappointment when we got there was Ile aux cerfs."

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of May 2006

Not for Everyone

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"PARADISE COVE

Clearly some of the preceding reviews are tinged with a honeymoon afterglow or tainted with the disappointment of expectations not met so I will endeavour to provide an impartial critique of this resort.

I visit the island on business from time to time and have stayed at a at least six different hotels and resorts. Whenever possible my wife accompanies me for a welcome break and this was our third holiday in Mauritius. Having tried Le Victoria and Trou Aux Biches previously (both Beachcomber Hotels and very good) we thought we might try somewhere other than the west coast (can now confirm "West is Best") and after some internet research settled on Paradise Cove.(Obviously I must have missed the preceding negative reviews otherwise we would not have booked this hotel)

The reality is that this is a very "NICE" well managed boutique hotel of only 67 rooms. Service, although lacking a little in finesse, is good. The staff members are very well presented in a wonderful variety of uniforms appropriate to their duties and are polite, observant and attentive to your every need and the new manager made the time to talk to what appeared to be every guest every day.

The grounds are a typically tropical and very well maintained and the infinity pool, although small by resort standards, is sparkling clean with a pleasant outlook over the lagoon and positioned so as to be sheltered from the prevailing breezes. As mentioned by others there are many small touches around the resort, such as bowls of flowers in every nook and cranny that add to the tropical feel of the place and indicate the interest the staff have in making the guests stay enjoyable.

The small manmade beach at the head of the small man made lagoon is nicely arranged with umbrellas and plenty of shade from the numerous palms to provide relief from the midday sun and is well serviced by the food and beverage staff. The fact that the little beach is wholly contained within the resort, although a little boring, may be considered an advantage as there are no bothersome vendors selling their wares or general public passing through (some may argue that that only adds to the flavour of an island holiday). It also provides safe swimming for young children although quite frankly in the ten days that we were there we were not tempted to swim in the slightly murky lagoon water. The headland has a variety of views and numerous small secluded sandy alcoves offer a degree of privacy which may be welcomed by some.

The food was OK (no buffets so some nights my wife struggled to find anything suitable) but too oily/fatty for any health conscious persons and although the dining area has a pleasant outlook over the pool and lagoon it is a little worn and dreary and the eating experience at the other hotels and resorts that I have enjoyed in Mauritius is generally better than at Paradise Cove. At least the diarrhoea my wife and I and some of the other guests suffered was relatively mild and not the totally debilitating variety that one can get in this type of environment.

The gym, although small, has a reasonable selection of new and fully functional equipment and the attendant fitness instructor is friendly and knowledgeable and also runs an aquarobics class which can provide a good workout for even the reasonably fit.

We had a Junior Suite which was as good as, if not better than, any room that I have ever been allocated at any of the other resorts, large and nicely appointed with a little balcony overlooking the lagoon. The bathroom was clean with double vanities, a bath and reasonable size shower, adjacent walk in robe and separate toilet. There were some issues with the room – the toilet was not properly secured to the floor and rattled and clanked when sat on – the shower was fitted with a water saver nozzle which does not provide a satisfying flow, the pressure and temperature fluctuated at will and there were times when getting any water to flow challenged my 40 years of engineering experience. The roof leaked during heavy downpours and dripped for days afterwards. No tea/coffee making facilities are provided which was disappointing. These are minor irritations and should not significantly affect a vacation but are not what is expected of a five star hotel and do nothing to encourage revisiting this resort.

I must also reiterate the observations made in previous reviews regarding the charges for refreshments and meals not included in the package. If you plan to eat or snack outside of the half board arrangement be prepared to spend more than a few Euros although in fairness I have to note that a few of the extras we had were not included on the final bill.

So, if you are seeking a really peaceful rest without the hustle and bustle of a major resort and are not too worried about having a typical island beach, then Paradise Cove might be a good choice BUT......

The location of Paradise Cove on the north east coast means that the resort cops the full brunt of the weather from the north (unlike the west coast resorts) and there are times when it is most unpleasant on the headland and the unsheltered areas of the little beach. We caught the edge of a tropical cyclone during our stay and, at times, when the wind was howling at Paradise Cove the other resorts that we visited at that time such as Club Med, Trou Aux Biches, Le Victoria and The Oberoi were all quite sheltered. Fortunately we had a car and were able to drive down to Mont Choisy and Trou Aux Biches to swim when the weather was not too good. Not really what one wants to do when staying at a resort.

The hotel is also somewhat isolated with no outlets anywhere within reasonable walking distance (there is a kiosk 2 kilometres from the gate) so if you do not like the hotel mini bar and refreshment charges there is no chance of walking to a nearby store for water etc. Taxis are readily available but we were advised by other guests that they were really expensive so it could be worth shopping around for a good price local car hire.

In my opinion the primary disadvantage is the position of the hotel on the rocky Cap Malheureux which means that THERE IS NO NATURAL BEACH AT THIS RESORT.

So, if you are looking for a tropical island holiday with great swimming and long romantic walks along white sandy beaches then Paradise Cove is not for you.

Being on the island on business for a few days prior to our holiday we were in the fortunate position of being able to visit the resort prior to checking in and realised that as there was no real beach that this was not what we wanted in an island holiday.

We immediately attempted to relocate to a resort in the west but Fiesta Tours and their local representatives Summertimes were, to say the least, less than helpful and it is just possible that they may be the original inventors of the sideways flick pass and managed to reduce my wife to tears with their indifference. Among the excuses offered by the one of the miriad of local agents that we had to deal with was that the hotel was full and that people had been turned away, so there would be a 100% cancellation fee. Being unsure of the legality of that claim we succumbed and checked in only to find that for the entire duration of our ten day stay the average occupancy was around 36%. We never did find out just who would not co-operate but I would advise caution before sharing any of your credit card details with these operators or this hotel.

And then there was the transfer back to the airport - my own fault perhaps for not specifying a private car but when staying at an alleged five star resort I guess that it would not be unreasonable to expect transport in keeping with the quality of the hotel. Wrong again - first of all when trying to establish what time the transport would arrive Summertimes advised that none had been booked - we finally got that sorted and a mini van arrived four hours before our flight time - we then set off to two other hotels in Grand Bay to collect other passengers. The van could not comfortably accomodate the all luggage so it was piled high in the back and on the front seat and my brief case on my lap, if we had hit anything there would have been carnage inside that van. After being stuck in Port Louis traffic for a while in the blazing sun with NO AIRCONDITIONING we were all wet through with sweat and still had an eight hour flight to look forward to. The driver did try to assist by opening all the windows and driving as fast as the van would go when ever possible, overtaking everything in sight and rocketing around corners, regardless of the fact that one passenger was already suffering stomach cramps and that there was a baby on board. This may the driving norm in Mauritius but one could expect that a public service driver might have received some training in the transport of paying passengers.

In closing, I am inclined to say that globe trotting beach bunnies who have done the Maldives might well find Mauritius beaches quite disappointing. I know that, while I may continue to do business there, we are not planning another vacation on the island."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of March 2006

Lovely place for a honeymoon

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"Lovely small personal hotel, all the staff know your name as soon as you get there and make you feel very welcome. Perfect setting for a honeymoon. Food was fantastic, different every night and you can pay extra to sit in your own booth over the cove, there are only 3 so you are made to feel very special while you served seafood and champagne.

However, the beach is a man made cove and the water a little murky, much clearer by the boat house but on the rocks there, no beach. It would be worth hiring a car to explore other parts of the island if you are after a nice beach. There are sunbeds on the headland with a great view or on the cove.

Very pricy in the hotel, we were shocked at the price for the spa and the lunches but overall we had an amazing stay. Met some lovely people, rooms were fabulous, decorated beautifully, no view of the sea but of the cove.

I do fully recommend this hotel, but don't look at the white sand picture in the brochures, however, better than sharing it with hundreds of other people which you would have to do on the nicer beaches. It felt like a very private cove, didn't have to worry about leaving money on your sunbed, no other people from anywhere else could get in."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of November 2005

This really is paradise

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"My husband and I have just had a week in this absolutely fabulous hotel and I want to second everything that the previous reviewer has said about it. From the moment you arrive you are made to feel the staff here just can't do enough for you. Beautiful rooms (no ants!), a constantly changing supply of white towels, flowers everywhere and superb food. There are lots of lovely hotels on Mauritius but this one is special because it is small enough for the staff to quickly know your name - and even your favourite drink! Snacks and drinks aren't cheap but where are they in the middle of the Indian Ocean? The local beer, Phoenix is delicious and the ever changing range of foods in the restaurants staggering.

The pool is perfectly adequate with a lovely endless feature overlooking the bay. I'm a nervous swimmer but I swam happily in the bay everyday - it was quite magical - shallow and clear. The water sports staff were fabulous - free snorkeling trips, pedaloes, canoes always available.

The spa is superb - I've never had such a good treatment in a hotel spa - the gym is well-equipped and there is tennis coaching, gym and aqua classes available daily - all free I think.

It really is hard to fault this hotel. We entertained visitors who were staying at the Maritim near Port Louis, a five star hotel that is much larger, and they said that although their hotel had a beautiful position as well, it couldn't match the Paradise Cove for the service, staff and food. Anyone who gets to stay here is very, very lucky."

• Travel date: Sun 9th of October 2005

Hotels near Paradise Cove Boutique Hotel

Top traveller tips for Paradise Cove Boutique Hotel

• Gillyw by Gillyw

"Go bed and breakfast. Eat outside, explore the island. Go to super u and stock up on water and beers "

Paradise Cove Boutique Hotel is also called