About Voyager Ziwani Camp

• special diet menus
  • babysitting
  • mosquito net

Good

An experience not to be missed!

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"A collection of of a couple of dozen 'tents', each on its own platform with a thatch roof over, fully equipped shower room and toilet and real beds. No need for mosquito netting as you zip yourself in at night. The central dining area of the camp looks out over a lake in which hippos and crocodiles bathe. If the weather is clear the backdrop is Mt Kilimanjaro.
The staff will take you on an early morning nature walk around the lake, after a cup of coffee, before returning for a full breakfast and setting out for a game drive in the Park. As the camp is just outside the gates of the Park it is possible to go on a night game drive (not allowed inside the National Parks) which was worth the long journey from Mombasa.
This place was incredible and I recommend it to anyone wanting to go to Tsavo West."

• Travel date: Sun 5th of April 2009

Not scout camping!

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2012

"Having stayed the first night at Voi Safari Lodge we didn't think it would get any better - it did! We arrived at Ziwani in time for lunch to be greeted by a refreshing towel and drink. We were shown our "tents" - not what I remembered as a girl guide! Verannda overlooking the hippo pool, ensuite, proper beds, electricity - all mods cons.

Lunch was help yourself followed by an afternoon sat watching the comings and goings at the pond. A particular whistle brought a fish eagle swooping down to get food. The malibu storks were huge and kept creeping closer to see what we were eating.

We'd arranged with Daktari our driver to meet at dusk to go out on a night game drive. A guide with a powerful torch came along too.it was soooooo eerie seeing all the eyes in the dark. Hippos out of the water grazing, bush babies, antelopes, zebra and a huge snake slithering across the road.

Back to the camp where dinner was served around the camp fire. Masai dancers came and entertained us while we ate. Because the hippo were out and about a guard escorted us back to the tent and said if we needed anything to let him know. I don't think I would have ventured out on my own!

The children fell asleep immediatley, but we lay listening to the sounds of the bush. A loud grunting noise prompted us to look out and there were hippos eating the grass in front of our tent. The next morning tea/coffee were brought to our tent around 6.00. We then went out on a bush walk with an armed ranger who showed us the tracks from the night before, explained about the different trees and bushes and showed us the hippo pool. You walk along tracks and don't need hiking boots.

A help yourself full cooked breakfast before heading off towards Kilaguni. That's to come next. I would say Ziwani is great for families with kids old enough to take an interest in their surroundings. Daktari was our driver and guide. He did everything possible to make our trip unfortgettable. He works for Gamewatch and I've added them to the TA list."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of October 2008

Camping with the crocodiles

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"Ziwani tented camp represents the most luxurious form of camping I have ever experienced. Each tent is located on a raised platform and a wooden structure around the tent supports a thatched roof. At the rear of the tent is a bathroom area complete with shower, toilet and washbasin all with hot and cold running water. Everything was clean and well maintained, though one of our party did report finding a frog in their toilet! Electric lighting is provided in the tent, but there are no power points, so camera battaries had to be recharged in a room set aside aside for the purpose in the main building.

The staff were always very efficient and helpful.

There is a stream running through the camp which has been dammed to provide an area of relatively still water inhabited by hippopotamuses and crocodiles. We were advised not to leave the tents when the generator is off between 11p.m. and 5a.m. as this is the time when the hippos maintain the lawns around the camp!

In the evening we were taken on a nature walk around the camp where we able to observe the crocodiles and hippos at close range. The camp naturalist was extremely knowledgeable and gave an excellent presentation. I'm not sure whether it was reassuring or disconcerting that the walk was accompanied by an armed guard. Following the walk we were taken on an evening game drive. While this was extremely interesting, I was a little concerned about the damage the vehicles appeared to be doing to the ground around the camp as they did not restrict themselves to recognised tracks.

An excellent dinner was served on the lawn around a large camp fire, and after dinner a group of Maasai dancers provided entertainment.

In the morning an early nature walk led by the camp naturalist proved just interesting as the evening walk, and was livened up by a relatively close encounter with a large elephant.

Overall this provided an excellent end to our Kenyan safari."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of August 2008

Food and Land is lovely, tent is horrid

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"After staying in the beautiful Galdassa Camp, we realised it might not be quite so good, but i was not prepared with what we found. The River and Views are beautiful and the food is ok, but the tent we stayed in needed to be burnt down.
The front was falling down and dirty with holes and teh zip didnt do up properly (really good with wild animals around) The beds were dusty, smelly, uncomfortable and the mozzie net rests on your face and body which also has holes in it. When we got there i rested my head on the top sheet and my eye came up like a baloon, i rinsed with water, but it made me feel ill. The bathroom is not completely covered and reminded me of one of the worst public toilets i had come accross. Because it wasnt covered if you turned your light on after dark it would be full of bugs. They took us on a walking safari, the guide was asking us what names were of birds and trees like we were on a school field trip, and when he was asked a question, he answered with "WHAT???". Night safari was good, luckily i was shattered so i managed to pass out quite quickly...if you have a choice DO NOT STAY HERE!!!"

• Travel date: Thu 10th of January 2008

Great (by a non camper!)

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"When booking my safari I was un-nerved by the night at the 'tented camp' as I don't do camping! Well I couldn't have been more surprised.

Upon reaching the camp we were given hot towels and a refreshing drink. We only stayed for one night, but the staff were fantastic, the food was great, and the location was supurb.

The 'tents' are like nothing I have seen before. A bog standard tent contained 3 actual proper beds, lots of space, and a flushing toilet and running shower. We had no issues with the water. The lights do go out at 11pm as previously mentioned however for the brave, you can stay drinking in the bar and get escorted back to your tent by staff. Once the lights go out, the hippos come out to graze so I wasn't that brave. Each tent is situated on a concrete platform with a wooden roof over it. It didn't rain when we stayed, but I imagine this would ensure a peaceful nights sleep as you wouldn't have rain on canvas.

In all I must confessed to being a bit scared in the dark, hearing Hippos, but upon reflection it was a bit stupid! You're perfectly safe, and it completely adds to the experience of a safari. We stayed on our first night so the whole thing was alien.

The camp do a walking safari where you are taken out by a masai man (and a guard with a gun!). This was great. The guide was so knowlagable teaching us about animals, tracks, the area and much more. I would definately recommend.

I loved this place hence me writing a review so long after staying, but I guess it wouldn't be to everyone's taste. At the end of the day, there might be some bugs, and whilst it is camping in luxury, it's not a 5* lodge. Open minds are key. I plan to go back in 2009 and can't wait."

• Travel date: Tue 1st of May 2007

At one with nature!

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"Ziwani tented camp is not for the faint hearted (also known as Voyager safari lodge).
The tents are quite basic but have en-suite facilities. The water however, does take 10 minutes to reach your tent. The food is ok, but basic. The waterhole (lake) would have been the selling feature, if it had been full. It had been drained for work to be carried out on building a fishing launch.

After 11pm the electricity supply is cut off and turned on again at 5am. Jackie's tent came with its very own yellow spider ! Another selling feature!

On the whole it was a laugh. Im not sure that I would want to stay here again, but I would think that the Lake when full is breathtaking. We will see!

Tony"

• Travel date: Mon 19th of June 2006

Great one night stay

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"Having been marooned within Tsavo West by a river in spate we tried the Zawani Camp out of hope rather than expectation and couldn't have been more pleased with the welcome and service that we found.

The tents are great - very spacious with all reasonable amenities but retaining that "under canvas" feel that should ba a part of any Kenya trip. The food was excellent and served with a ready smile at all times. The staff were the ultimate in friendliness and courtesy. The setting is delightful with plenty of wildlife to provide interest for most people.

I would choose to stay here again whenever I get the chance in the future."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of June 2006

Wonderful place

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"This was our last stay of a week long safari in Kenya and Tanzania with Eclipse Direct. We stayed mainly in Sopa Lodges which were excellent, but this was something else! This is a tented camp centered around a lake with a resident crocodile and views of Mount Kilimanjaro. The tents are equipped with en suite bathrooms and fully sprung beds and are really comfortable. We arrived hot and dusty and were greeted with the usual (and very welcome) hot towel and glass of fruit juice. No keys needed here...we were given the number of our tent and advised to keep the flaps closed when not in residence to deter the local monkeys from taking off with our belongings! After freshening up and having a few few beers in the bar, we went on a night drive. This was not as exciting as the Serengeti or the Ngorongoro Crater but we saw nocturnal animals such as bush babies and aquainted ourselves with the local insect population that were attracted to the searchlight from the Landrover. We returned to have our evening meal by candlelight on the lawn by the lake...a beautiful setting that was compounded by the sight of a hippo grazing out of the water, just yards from where we were eating. Going to sleep that night with the sounds of the bush (and then the torrential rain) are some of the most memorable experiences I will take from this holiday. We woke the next day to a lake that was twice the size and a river flowing under the bridge to our tent. Despite the muddy conditions we went on a guided walk to see the resident hippos which was both fascinating and terrifying! A mother and baby emerged at the waters edge and I was sure we were going to be attacked but our guides were very experienced and knowledgable and we were in no danger. Back to the camp for a full English breakfast and then we were collected by our guide to begin the long and bumpy ride to Mombasa for a week by the pool....I would have given anything to have another week on safari."

• Travel date: Thu 20th of April 2006