Samburu Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp

Tent - double

Good

Excellent service and friendly staff

Reviewed 2nd November 2012

"Samburu Intrepids was just fantastic the friendly people,service, tents, pool all excellent. Samburu Intrepids was our favourite place on our 6 day safari just wish we had stayed for 3 nights instead of 2. Then we could have had time to visit a village. Our children went to the Adventures club they made jewellery and catapults. Also did archery and explored the nature room. They had a brilliant time with the Samburu Warrior at the club Francis, who also came along with us on our game drives with Jelly. We were facinated by his way of life and enjoyed his evening slide shows about the amimals we had seen and his culture. The whole experience was brilliant. You do have to watch the monkeys one came in bold as brass while I was stood by the door I shooed it away and it just came back undoing the zip like it owned the place. The family tents are just great we were in tent s3 &s4 these adjoining tents were next to the pool and a stones throw from everything so ideal for families. The Gennet cat comes and visits every evening at the dining room so that is facination to watch. This place is far superior to its sister Mara Intrepids which could do with a good clean in its public areas. Samburu is a great gamepark but you wont see the big 5 what you will see are beautiful birds and many animals pecular to the area. It is much more scenic than the Mara."

• Travel date: 17th January 2008

A memorable time

Reviewed 10th December 2012

"We (me, wife plus 6-yr old) spent three nights at the Samburu Intrepids Lodge as part of a week long safari trip; rest of the time was at the Mara Intrepids which was definitely inferior to the Samburu Intrepids in all ways. There is really nothing which is less than perfect about the property. The location is sensible in a central part of the Samburu reserve, the way the lodge has been done is superb and the quality of the 'tents' just spoils you. The central restaurant and bar area is truly brilliant and done in a very under-stated manner. The place is very calm and serene at all times and you really feel the atmosphere. For parents of children, the lodge is a very good choice as they have a pretty informal kids club running in the afternoons. The staff etc are all very friendly and accommodating. At least while we were there, there were 2-3 other kids of similar age to my son but everything was well handled without creating any noise or disturbance for the other guests. The lodge is next to a small river and pretty dense vegetation with a large monkey population. All our game drives were excellent with a brilliant driver as well as a guide - we even managed to see a leopard at close distance for a long period of time."

• Travel date: 5th January 2008

Amazing!

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"I loved this place....from the moment you arrive you are amazed that this place even exists in the middle of the bush! I can't fault anything - the food, the surroundings, the tents overlooking the river, the people....fantastic. Would love to return. Remember to keep your tents firmly tied up to stop the monkeys getting in but we spent a lot of time just watching them play around our tent - they are so funny. The game drives were excellent from here and we loved this area of Kenya."

• Travel date: 27th September 2007

Fantastic Place

Reviewed 2nd November 2012

"We went to Samburu in June for our honeymoon and stayed 3 nights.. The staff are the most friendly and welcoming you could ever meet.. Our driver Jay-Jay was the best guide ever and knew everything about the wildlife.. We went to visit the local village while we were there and it was a truly humbling experience.. Although some say that the variation in wildlife is not found in Samburu I have to disagree as we saw a huge amount of it during our stay..including cheeta, leopard, lions, crocodile, giraffe, zebra etc.. (No hippos at this time of the year and unfortunately no rhino's left in the park) The monkeys are hilarious and make sure you tie up your tent well!! One got into our tent and stole a pack of playing cards and then proceeded to open the pack and throw them one by one from the tree at us.. I will definitely go back one day..."

• Travel date: 4th July 2007

Great location, lovely staff

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"We stayed in the Lodge for 3 nights. The staff were fanstastic, the tents were great - even though you have to tie the tents up carefully and cover up the knots so the monkeys don't get in and use your bathroom or play with all your camera equipment! It was out first time on safari and Samburu was a great place to get the feel of the trip while still being able to relax and enjoy the experience. There were two drives in the day one in the morning and one later in the he afternoon. The difference in the light and the colours of the scenery and animals in the morning and the evening is amazing. While we didn't get the abundance of animals that you see in the Mara you do get a really fantasic trip around one of the pretty places in the world. Bird Watching is a big thing as there are many species of birds that are not found any where else in the world. The Intrepids Camp is great, it has a lovely swimming pool, tents by the river (watch out there are crocs) and some of the most helpful staff I have ever met. Fantastic!"

• Travel date: 3rd May 2006

Fantastic, can't wait to go back

Reviewed 20th October 2012

"We have just come back from Kenya and I really wanted to let everyone know how fantastic Samburu Intrepids is. Completely surpassed anything we could have imagined. We had the best guide Sammi who just knew about everything, animals, birds, insects, you name it he knew about it, which made our game drives truly special. The accommodation was excellent as was the food and the staff. I spent my 40th birthday here and everyone went out of their way to make it a truly memorable occasion. We booked though Kuoni as part of the Intrepids Air Safari package and followed up with 5 days in Mombasa at the Indian Ocean Beach Club. We will definitely be doing it again. Highly recommended!!!"

• Travel date: 7th April 2006

Loved it

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"We stayed 3 nights at Samburu Intrepids as part of a safari/beach combo through Kuoni. (We also stayed at Mara Explorer in the Masai Mara followed by 5 days on the beach at Breezes Beach Club in Zanzibar.) We flew from Nairobi by light aircraft to Samburu which I would recommend as you do not lose the whole day as you will if you opt for the arduous overland journey. We were really pleased with Samburu and would recommend to anyone. The safari vehicles for the game drives are excellent - just 4 people plus guide and completely open at the sides (we saw some poor people crammed in white vans with up to 8 companions with closed windows). We had a great driver called Robinson who was a samburu warrior (in traditional dress)and an Arsenal fan (!). He was great fun and really went that extra mile to try and get sightings of cats for us (best spots were close ups of a male lion and a leopard which were mere feet from the truck). try and get him if you can! Food is buffet style at breakfast and lunch but excellent (and I HATE buffets normally). Dinner is a la carte with plently of choice and again very good indeed. One tip - if you are honeymooning / want to spend quality time with your other half be sure to sit on your own when you go for your first meal (rather than being friendly and sitting with the people you did the game drive with). If you sit with another couple the first time they automatically reserve a table for the 4 of you for the remainder of your stay whch could be a little delicate to get out of!"

• Travel date: 5th January 2006

Amazing experience

Reviewed 14th November 2012

"I stayed at Samburu Interpids as part of an organised week long safari with Somak as part of our Honeymoon. I don't know if it was the first place we went to, and our first experience of the safai, but I found this place to be the most magical of any we visited. The electricity switches off at arount midnight I think it was, which means it is very dark at night, you feel so close to nature. (The sound of the animals at night is almost defening - but in a wonderful way!). The tents are lovely, clean with big fourposter beds with mosquito nets. We found all over Kenya that if you were not a honeymoon couple or were married, they automatically gave you single beds, so make sure you specify in advance if you want a double. You get hotwater bottles put in your bed in the evening and welcomes with hot choc ion the morning. Beware of the monkeys! You have to make sure you shut your 'tent' up as they can cause havoc - all part of the experience! The staff are so friendly and attentive. Food was tasty and varied. The talks and slide shows are informative and interesting. Swimming pool is a welcome relief after a game drive. When we went the pool was very cold, but I think that was becasue of the time of year. Overall it is a wonderful place to stay."

• Travel date: 7th August 2005

Out of this World!!!

Reviewed 14th November 2012

"We went to Kenya on Honeymoon last September. I didn't really know what to expect as I had never stayed in a tented lodge in the African Bush! Upon arrival we were met by very friendly staff and taken to the restaurant for lunch. The restaurant is like a big tree house and you look over the river. It's beautiful....the hotel employs local Samburu people, one of whom had the job to keep the monkey's away from your table! The rooms (tents!) were clean and contained a four poster bed. You have a member of staff allocated to your room throughout your stay. They wake you in the morning with a hot drink and biscuits ready for the morning game drive and ensure your room is kept to a very high standard. We went on a game walk with Sammy a Samburu Tribesman who has worked at the lodge since he was 14. It was fasinating and a little scary - which added to the whole African Experience! We even found ourselves down in the bar by 7pm so that we could listen to one of Sammy's Slide Shows on the Samburu people and local animals. The food was amazing, the staff were friendly & very helpful - you have the same waiter every night who makes a point of getting to know you. I want to go back this year, next year and the year after!!!"

• Travel date: 20th April 2005

Good stay

Reviewed 10th December 2012

"We have spent 2 nights in january 2005. The hotel is good, for me is a little bit old, I suppose it is very dificult give treatment at the wood in Africa but, they have to improve. Room, bathroom and the tent are very clean. It is a big camp close to a river, staff is very good and service is good too. We have done two activities Safari walk, very interesting, but very short. and we have gone to the Samburu village. Be careful because we have paid 30$ each one for the visit and when we were arriving the guide said to us that there were 2 village, one (that what we have paid) was normal and the other (we have to pay 30 $ each one more) had a special ceremony. I don´t belive him so, we went to the normal one. And belive me, it is normal. I can sure you and I recommend you. Much better than the masai village in Masai Mara where you can see the jeans of the masai dancer under their clothes and the nike t-shirt. If you want to see a real village this is and there is no difference with the masai one. Save your money in Masai Mara and don´t go. I have been in both."

• Travel date: 15th January 2005

Hotels near Samburu Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp

Samburu Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp is also called

• hotel samburu intrepids luxury tented camp samburu national reserve
  • hotel samburu intrepids luxury tented camp
  • samburu intrepids