About Great Rift Valley Lodge & Golf Resort

• babysitting
  • golf course

Very sad experiences May 2010 - do not spend your money there

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"the travel agency proposed this lodge as I was looking for some relaxing weekend with Golf.
450 USD for 2 nights full board and transportation from Nairobi and back.

A serie of small incidents:
1) my room did not have any view (ground floor) I had to request to change
2) Bathroom were old and humidity effect was visible on the shower sealing
3) Golf green-fee payment, equipment and caddy hassle
4) Expedition price was agreed the night before and on the agreed time, we had 30' negotiation with the hotel manager to keep the agreed deal...
5) They wanted to charge me 20 USD for the last lunch.

Said that,
1) I played golf like never before, local members were fantastic, caddie were great support.
2) Food was excellent
3) "Daniel", the nature guide was really good.

Conclusion:
DO NOT GO TO Great Rift Valley Lodge & Golf Resort.
Better stay at an other hotel and
come to play golf. (same price: Gree-fee= 10 euro week/15 euro WE) Clubs rental = 10 euro, caddie 4 euro + tips
Visist Cresent Ilsand (walking type safari) 19 euro entry fee + transportation

Enjoy the great rift."

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of June 2010

Fantastic

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"Where did the people stay who wrote the bad reveiws, certainly was not here. We stayed here before travelling onto the Mara Explorer and Mara Intrepids. Cannot fault this place at all. Views were fantastic. Rooms clean, and believe me I am fussy, at home I would never employ a cleaner as they would never clean to my standards. Food was excellent and the staff were fantastic, had a great time."

• Travel date: Sun 11th of April 2010

was not sad to leave

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"Myself and my husband have just returned from a safari/beach holiday we stayed at Samburu Intrepids Great Rift valley Lodge and Mara Intrepids followed by Cove Retreat in Mombassa which
we booked with Somak throught a travel agent. The Great Rift Valley Lodge was by far the worst place we stayed, before we
travelled I had read bad reviews but after speaking to the travel
agent they assured me that this place was lovely, I think maybe
they should go and stay there, the place needs a good clean,
staff stand around doing nothing, maybe they should clean the
restaurant floors and windows they are very dirty. The rooms are
not very clean, bathrooms dated, chairs were so dirty/greasy we
would not sit on them and the door bolts into the floor didnt work
which made the balcony doors not very secure. On a good note
the staff were very friendly, the food was okay but the whole place
needs a complete refurbishment the staff told us the place has
not been refurbished since it was built, that I can believe. The camps we stayed at were lovely as was the treehouse but this
place let the holiday down it was supposed to be 4 star, well I
wouldnt give it 2. The Heritage flying safari package need to
omit this place, would have preferred to stay one extra night in
Samburu Intrepids and Mara Intrepids."

• Travel date: Tue 29th of December 2009

Great rooms and views

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"The rooms are very spacious with large four poster beds, and great views over the great rift valley. The staff were very friendly. Food was tasty. Basic swimming pool. Our guide Daniel was fantastic! You don't have to be into golf to enjoy staying here."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of November 2009

The best family golf holiday, Stay at Milele Cottage, Kenya

Reviewed Mon 8th of October 2012

"Travelled to Kenya with family. This is an excellent destination for a family that plays golf. We booked MILELE COTTAGE , through [email protected] She received us and was an excellent hostess. MILELE is a wooden chalet close to the club house, overlooking the 18th hole.. We played golf and our younger son got introduced to golf. The young people around are very friendly and helpful. Golf was not expensive and we had super international meals at the lodge. When it was too hot we relaxed at the pool, and went for evening walks around the property. It is safe and and we had the most memorable holiday for our family. We are in the process of buying our own holiday home at the golf course."

• Travel date: Sat 26th of September 2009

Terrible Service

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Rooms - nice rooms with good views. Ground floor you can hear movement upstairs. Bathrooms are dated, with the shower overflowing, hot water running out and wonky toilet seats. Beds are good, with clean linen. There is a sitting area in the room with a balcony. Fire place does not get used. There is tea/coffee making facilities.

Restaurant - Furniture includes nice wooden tables/chairs and very old conference chairs (to make up for lack of furniture). Service is average, with the waiters not understanding basic requests. Meals are all buffet, but by 8:20 pm at dinner, half the salads were gone with no replenishment, and of the hot food, 2 of the 3 meat dishes were finished, as well as the potatoes and carrots. At breakfast they ran out of bacon,. sausages and white bread.

The next morning when I asked for fresh towels, the receptionist told me that they wash the towels during the day time so I will get them in the afternoon (my towels were soaked as the shower overflowed). I complained, and then it took 3 housekeeping staff to get two towels.

The location is great, the rooms are good. The food is terrible (when there is any), and the service is very mediocre - bordering on non exsistent."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of May 2009

Just Perfect

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"My family and i stayed at one of the rental houses there over the xmas break and enjoyed being away from the everyday hustle and bustle of nairobi. One can actually hear silence, the view of the Rift and lake naivasha was just beutiful and relaxing. There was a lady who came to clean the house everyday. We cooked for ourselves which we did not mind at all, we mostly grilled. The children loved it. I must warn you though do not attempt to go there without a fourwheel drive, the road leading to the Great Rift Valley Lodge is horrible. But once you get up there , you def will want to stay there forever. The evenings got a little bit chilly even for the hot month of December , carry with you a light sweater."

• Travel date: Fri 30th of January 2009

if you want to just golf all day

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We live in Kenya at the moment, so bear in mind that we see this as a local place that is driving distance from Nairobi - not some fabulous international tourist destination. But for a weekend get away where you want to just play golf and eat, this is a good spot. The one draw back was that the bed was extremely hard! The hardest bed i think i have ever slept in. The rooms look better in the pictures, by far, but they are ok. We were there over x-mas, and it was a very popular local family place so the lodge put x-tra effort in - so mostly it was great. The first day we arrived, however, the lunch buffet was mediocre."

• Travel date: Thu 15th of January 2009

No point to it

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"We stayed here after visiting Lake Nakura, it has a golf club attached to it and unless you want to play golf, there is not much point in staying here(, if you do it looks like a fantastic course).
Everything for us was exceptionally clean and we were well looked after BUT the place was dead. There is no buzz around it and very few other guests. If travelling to Kenya to do a safari then avoid this place as there is so many other places you could be in. It was a major regret that we didn't head straight to the Mara instead of hanging around this place."

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of August 2007

Disapointing

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"In June this year, my husband and our 3 children went to Kenya for a holiday. We visited 5 different places and apart from our stay in Nairobi all of our accomadatuon was booked through Heritage Hotels, we stayed at Sambura Intrepids- fantastic, The Great Rift Valley Lodge, the Masi Mara Interpids and Voyager hotel in Mombasa. This review is about teh Great Rift Valley Lodge only.

We arrived from Sambura and were collected at the airport and driven to the Lodge, at first it appeared to be rather nice, how wrong I was. We were shown to our rooms, I had booked, one double and a room with 3 beds in it. I had asked specifically for interconecting rooms.

The rooms were not interconecting but at least they were beside each other. Handy when one has three children. My room was filthy, I'm not just saying it needed a clean, it was filthy- dusty, dead ants and a cockroach lying on the floor. The sheets were smelly, I'm not sure that they had been changed. And there were no towels.

I complained and complained and complained and eventually someone was sent to clean my room. Then I went for a shower only to discover that there was no hot water. Again I complained and eventually someone was sent to try to fix the problem. I had a quick shower and then the hot water went off again. The next day we were eventually moved to anotherr room.

The rest of the hotel was just as dirty and filthy, the staff were unhelpful. Ssurely a smile or a soft word for the children....

The promised and much anticpated childrens activities never materialised during our stay. We eventually saw the coordinator on the day that we left.

The food on all ocasions was dreadful, the children and I survived on fruit and bread. The staff really did not have a clue either on how to cook or serve food.

When we were leaving and it came to pay the bill, the machine would not read my card, rather than insert the number manually they refused. 40 minutes later and having nearly missed our flight they agreed to do this.

This is one hotel to avoid like the plague- very disapointing having stayed at Heritage owned Samburu Intrepids and Masi Intrepids I would say to Heritage, "Clean up your act""

• Travel date: Fri 6th of July 2007