Good

Perfect

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"We had the most wonderful time in a beautiful spot south of Mombasa, and we were looked after wonderfuly by Ian Larisa and their staff. I was a reluctantant visiter as living in Kenya in my youth was scared it might have changed but it was gloroiuse and the accomodation was fantastic, colonial and ritch in wild life charm. We took our three teenage children and they loved it and we all plan to return."

• Travel date: Thu 8th of January 2009

The most stunning beach hotel

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"Having found out at short notice that we had an extra day and night to stay in Mombasa, I decided to try a hotel that had glowing reviews from friends who had stayed there the previous year. We were not disappointed!

Ian (the owner) collected us and brought us to his stunning hotel. Tijara is everything a luxurious small hotel should be. The setting is exquisite, the grounds are beautiful and the view belongs to a poster. The rooms are superbly comfortable and extremely secluded. There are only 5 cottages on the 10 acre site. They are straight from the pages of 'Arabian Nights' and my 5 year old daughter thought she was in a fairy tale. Ian and Debbie could not have been more charming and our every whim was catered for by his smiling, friendly team.

If you are looking for a small, luxurious hotel, far from the mass tourist market, then Tijara can not be bettered"

• Travel date: Thu 18th of December 2008

A gem!

Reviewed Wed 17th of October 2012

"Tijara Beach is a little piece of heaven discretely tucked far away from the mass tourist market.

The individual cottages with spacious verandas overlooking the ocean provide privacy and tranquility – my friend and I wiled away many hours on the veranda Lamu beds, reading and enjoying the warm breeze.

Ian (the owner) as well as the staff was lovely and helpful, adding to the relaxing atmosphere. The food was also fantastic, rivaling that in some top-end restaurants.

Tijara Beach’s magic lies in the fact that it gives you a luxurious experience without the formality and pretense of some top-end hotels. This makes it a truly relaxing and enjoyable place to stay.

I certainly plan on coming back."

• Travel date: Wed 10th of December 2008

Loved every minute.

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"We experienced a most enjoyable and relaxing time at Tijara Beach, it wa small but perfectly formed. The owner together with his staff were always on hand and willing to help in any way they could, food and accommodation to the highest standard.

Snorkelling off the reef was something we will never forget."

• Travel date: Wed 10th of December 2008

Absolutely wonderful... go immediately!

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"I wasn't sure what to expect from Tijara Beach, as it can be difficult in Kenya to find a compromise between big resort-style hotels and quite basic backpacker accommodation. What an incredible surprise! This place is a one-of-a-kind boutique hotel. The grounds are simply beautiful, and are cleverly designed so that you feel like you're part of the landscape rather than part of a walled-off compound. Every part of the hotel is immaculately and generously put together, from the gorgeous cottages with their huge verandas and classic furniture, to the lovely pool and dining areas. The food is among the best I have had in Kenya, and the staff could not be nicer. I wanted to stay forever!"

• Travel date: Tue 9th of December 2008

Home and away

Good
Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"My wife and I needed to get away for a few days and we love the coast. We learned about Tijara from our Travel Agent in Nairobi. We had planned to take trips out from Tijara for some 'entertainment' and meals out, etc. As it turned out, we enjoyed the tranquility of Tijara and postponed our outings, until they did not happen at all. Views of the ocean are spectacular, food is good, service is tops. Bring your rockies (plastic or rubber sandals) with you (or ask your host to lend you some) to walk out into the sea and chat with some local fishermen or shell seekers. See the tide come in and out. Not very suitable for teenagers who seek action. All in all highly recommended."

• Travel date: Tue 9th of December 2008

Wow !

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"Wow a trully beautiful place we spent 6 nights here for our honey moon after a busy safari on the Masi Mara and it was just the most perfect way to relax . Wow was the first thing my Husband said when he walked in to our cottage. The sound of the ocean crahing over the reef provides the perfect back drop to clear blue sky's, beautifull garden and fantastic pool. The staff were faultless and Larrisa and Ian were the perfect hosts .
We would definately recommend this little piece of heaven to anyone."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of October 2008

Paradise

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"My wife and I were the first honeymooners to stay at Tijara. We had spent several days at two other great resorts during our honeymoon but after staying at Tijara we wished we had spent our entire honeymoon there. It is, without a doubt, the most peaceful place either one of us had ever been. Ian and Larissa's (the owners) personal touch is the icing on the cake.
We are both born and raised in Kenya but live in Dallas, Texas and we plan to visit Tijara every time we are in Kenya.
Tijara is truly a piece of paradise. The rest of the world disappears the minute you enter your cottage at Tijara!"

• Travel date: Fri 1st of August 2008

Little piece of heaven

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"It's a place where you would wish to stay forever and ever - alone or with your partner... The place people could hardly leave and when they do it is with tears in their eyes... The place of peace and tranquility which is absolutely priceless in our busy world... where the scent of flowers is delicate, where you fall asleep while listening to the ocean and wake up listening to the birds singing and watch the sunrise from your bed... Where privacy of your living provides you an opportunity to enjoy yourself and your loved one...The place where you would wish to be back again and again... Tijara Beach

The hotel has only 4 cottages - each of them is very private, extremely beautiful with wonderful views of the ocean with spacious room and ocean vistas from your room, your private deck and your bathroom. It is a romantic heaven for those in love, a fantastic holiday place for the families or a peaceful retreat for those wanting to be alone! The hotel owners Ian and Larissa create an amazing atmosphere where you don't feel a hotel guest but a member of a family loved and cared for. The service and food are of very high standards and meet all the guests' expectations.

This is the best place in the world. I am sure."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of April 2008