About Driftwood Beach Club

• diving
  • windsurfing amenities

Great Place

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"I loved my stay here the staff were great and very friendly.
I had five nights and it was very relaxing and unpretentious.
Rooms are clean and fresh flowers are put in each day.
The beach is wonderful its only a pity there is a long wall but I understand this is for security reasons!
The food was very good but breakfast definitly needs some work on both variety and presentation.
all in all a brilliant place."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of November 2008

Loved the Driftwood Club!

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"The Driftwood Club has been known by Kenyans for years, as one of the best places to stay on the coast. I recently stayed there after a gap of 23 years and it was lovely! The hotel is small, simple and unpretentious. It is a collection of small cottages (air-conditioned) set amongst rustling coconut palms with a restaurant and a bar open on three sides to look out to the sea. The staff were charming and attentive. I had fresh flowers in my room each day and tea delivered to my verandah each morning.

The hotel is set right on the beach and there is also a freshwater pool. There is not a jet ski or speed boat in sight, bliss! you can however go dhow sailing and there is deep sea fishing and plenty of snorkling on the coral reef. We ate well, delicious fresh salads and fish. I particularly liked the atmosphere in the bar in the evenings, the guests mingled and we met some very interesting people.

This is not a typical tourist hotel, it was wonderful to stay somewhere quiet and personal and great value for money!"

• Travel date: Mon 17th of November 2008

Not quite the best.

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"My wife and I were booked into this club for four days of our holiday.This was to be the climax of our one month vacation in Kenya. After visiting Sarova whitesands in Mombasa the previous year we were looking forward to a similar experience in Malindi. Unfortunately due to so many things it did not turn out to be as we expected. Firstly, our agent did not know this was just a club and not a hotel as our arrangements were. Being a club it lacked so many things that go with a hotel including things like A bath tub, a TV in the room, 4 oclok tea etc. There were also some restrictions like you couldn't use a cell phone in the dinning hall and so on and so forth. We felt so bad after having such expectations; All the same the manager or whoever it was turned out to be a very reasonable person, she refunded all our money back and asked one of the clerk to call and make reservations for us in Turtle bay in Watamu. Our plans though did not go as we had expected were not completely frustrated. Turtle bay safari club although not a hotel too turned out to be far much better than the expensive Drift wood."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of July 2008

A truly great retreat!

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"This is the BEST place we have stayed at on the Kenya coast. The service is simply incredible - friendly, unobtrusive, and yet personal. The spacious bar, pool area, secluded beach front, and restaurant combined with the laid back "luxury home" atmosphere makes this a delight for a real get away from the hectic life! Nothing is too much trouble for the friendly, efficent staff. A delight!

The super food, the spacious and comfortable rooms - more detatched bandas really - and the uncrowded feel of "space" makes this an ideal MUST VISIT AGAIN place.

With all this, Driftwood is indeed Value for Money."

• Travel date: Wed 13th of February 2008

The best place on the coast

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"The driftwood club is a fantastic place to stay on the coast. My wife and I stayed there for the first week of our honeymoon and loved every minute of it. The driftwood is a place that forces you to relax and just soak in the surroundings. The location is idyllic with a wide open view of the Indian Ocean, the staff are attentive and the food is great (you can't miss their lunch time samosas or their curry night!).

The rooms are clean and spacious, there is a lot to be said for being able to see and hear the ocean from your own cottage when you wake up every day.

If you want to stay in a impersonal chain hotel which could be anywhere in the world I would recommend you stay at one of the many hotels along Diani beach, if you want to stay at a friendly, relaxing and truly African beach club then there is only one place - see you by the pool with a Tusker!"

• Travel date: Fri 1st of February 2008

Superb!!

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"Stayed for a week.
Staff superb.
Location superb.
Accomodation superb.
Food superb.
Tariffs the best on the coast.
I was born and bred in Kenya and have stayed all the land.
This place is the BEST."

• Travel date: Sun 27th of May 2007

Great stay

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"I enjoyed a 6 night stay at The Driftwood Club in Feb 07.

We found our bungalow to be clean, comfortable and well kept.
The bathroom was large and everything worked!

The staff were friendly at all times and helpful without fail.

We enjoyed the food too. Breakfast consisted of a self-service buffet, with tea/coffee and toast being brought by waiters, ( this was often a slow process, but then you are on holiday).

We had dinner at the hotel on 3 nights, All meals were good to very good. Lunchtime snacks by the pool were excellent too.

I have very happy memories of enjoying night caps, looking towards the moonlight on the Indian Ocean...........................

Overall, we had a super stay and we hope to return again soon.

We booked through a travel agent in Nairobi, it may be a good idea to check prices directly with the hotel first."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of May 2007

Great Menu and Good Wine List

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"I stayed at 'Driftwood' for about a week. The bungalows are very good, although the bathrooms need updating. The Staff were fantastic, very helpful, and attentive. The menu is probably the best in the area - I thought so, and the wine list was very good too. On the down side, the swimming pool looked tired and needs updating, they couldn't make a good cocktail, the poolside bar wasn't always open when you might have expected it, and the area in front of the bungalows had a well worn appearance, which would benefit from grassing over. The diving school amenity was not available - odd as this was the start of the main European Holiday season. However 'Driftwood' does grow on you. The atmosphere is friendly, low key, and unobstrusive. It is within walking distance of the town and well served by whichever form of taxi, bike to car, takes your fancy. Give it a try - you will probably like it!"

• Travel date: Sat 13th of May 2006

Relaxed and friendly atmosphere

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"We stayed at the Driftwood hotel for three days over Easter and enjoyed almost every minute of it. This hotel is extremely friendly, typical of most in Kenya, and the service could not be faulted in any way. Food was excellent and available seemingly on demand - if you wanted a full breakfast at 4.00 am it seemed that there would be someone prepared to make it for you. The rooms are very clean and comfortable and the whole place was very relaxing in the middle of a hectic 11 hotel tour.

There was one single downside for me. I was to visit the Arabuko Sokoke forest on two mornings commencing at 5.15 am and on the first of these we had been serenaded by Abdul's disco until 2.30, leaving me a little bleary-eyed in the morning. On the other hand we were told by those who weren't intending such an early start that they had enjoyed the music immensely. Obviously it is best for those who plan early mornings to choose their days carefully."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of April 2006

Perfect in every way

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2012

"We visited the Driftwood Club twice last week (March 06) and on both occasions we had a fantastic time. You can use the pool for a small additional charge and the food in the restaurant is delicious. Try the smoked sailfish, Queen and Butterfly Prawns and Grilled Snapper, the chips are to die for and the Rose was chilled to perfection. In fact after 15 minutes our waiter put fresh ice in the bucket to keep the bottle cold.

I cannot think of anywhere else I would rather spend my birthday and we were sorely tempted to move into the hotel for a couple of nights even though we were staying elsewhere.

The gardens are beautiful as was the Flame Tree that over hung the pool. If you prefer a dip in the sea there are askaris who will keep the beach hawkers away.

I defy anyone to say a bad word about this hidden gem in Africa."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of March 2006