A twin room

dissapointing

Reviewed 22nd October 2012

"we stayed at this hotel for just one night. possibly we were spoilt by staying in the samburu serena and nairobi serena first, but the rooms in this hotel were in dire need of refurbishment. the entertainment was ok but the food in the restaurant was not of the quality we had come to expect. the location of the hotel is excellent so i can understand why it is used by so many. the staff here however seem to be disinterested in their jobs. serena hotels-you should take on this hotel and shake it up a touch."

• Travel date: 23rd March 2007

Plenty to do

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"This is ideal if you more than a safari. As well as the swimming pool (closed when I was there!) there's a games room with pool table etc. There are always thousands of flamengoes at the lake and you're virtually guaranteed to see white rhinos. We even got a brief glimpse of a leopard"

• Travel date: 1st March 2007

Beautiful

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"We stayed here for only one night but this was probably the best hotel we stayed in on our “Kenya Classic” Safari. Mainly due to its location. Its is situated right in Nakuru Game Reserve and the views were amazing. From the hotel gardens you can look over the reserve, even have Impala, Gazelle, and Baboon just a few feet away. Also got a really good view of lake Nakuru and the flamingos. The staff at the hotel were really friendly. On arrival we were greeted with hot towels and cool drinks as seem customary in all the hotels we stayed in. The hotel is set out in a sort of village, our room seemed quite a walk from reception when we first arrived, but we were advised by the porter of a short cut to the restaurant, bar and pool and reception area. Which was great as it took you right next to the animals. Our room was beautiful. Very clean with a large bed. Good bathroom with an excellent shower and super soft towels. The view from the patio window (which stretched the size of the room) of the hotel gardens was gorgeous. Just remember to keep the door closed in case one of the baboons takes a fancy to your stuff. The pool area was stunning, it must have had a refurbishment because looks much nicer now compared to the 2005 review pictures. The food was very nice, with plenty to choose from. The Moussaka was brilliant, best I have ever tasted. And as with all the hotel the breakfast was yummy… The bar area was very nice with views over the game reserve. Drinks are well priced, and the atmosphere was very relaxing. Also had a chap on a guitar who was singing in the background. Not sure about his choice of songs, but good never the less. The hotel also has a little gift shop which is worth going to. Found some nice bits to take home at a reasonable price. One thing that you must do at this hotel at night is have a look up at the stars, I was amazed as I am sure I have never seen so many stars, it was absolutely beautiful, not sure if it is because you are nearer to the equator! Nakuru game reserve itself is obviously much smaller than the Mara and Amboseli, but you still see a variety of game including Rhino, Buffalo, Lions, Warthog, Eland, and all the normal game (i.e. Gazelle, Zebra). Also you can see the hundreds / thousands of pink Flamingos that stay on the lake, it really is a beautiful sight. Near to Lake Nakuru is Lake Naivasha. We went on a boat trip on this lake and got to see the area that they filmed “Out of Africa” and “African Queen”. Also we got to see Hypos lazy on the lake, and a variety of different birds including the African Eagle. It was really breathtaking and worth the 1500 Kenya Shillings extra. All in all we loved our time at Nakuru lodge, just shame we could only stay one night."

• Travel date: 25th February 2007

Comfortable place to explore a small but great park

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"We visited the park as part of a longer safari tour in December 2006 and although it is rather small - compared to Masai! - and busy - due to its proximity to Nairobi - it has a great concentration and variety of wildlife (rhinos, gazelles, flamingos, zebras, giraffes, lions, babouns, all kind of birds). The lodge was booked through our (excellent) safari company (Basecamp) so we didn't have much input, however we were very pleased. The lodge has a fantastic location overlooking the lake and the surrounding hills and you don't even need to leave the place to see babouns, gazelles and even lions! we had two female lions coming to drink just opposite the lodge and entertaining us for over three hours with their games and even climbing the trees! The rooms are simple and tasteful, spacious, clean and very comfortable, all with balcony – and, to appease our conscience, are run on solar power. The buffet was varied (soup, lots of salads, choice of meats, plenty of sweets and fruits) although as in most lodges, mainly western food – giving us little opportunity to sample local food. The service was very friendly – I actually noticed lots of the guests treated them as second class citizen, which was rather embarrassing. The place was also very relaxed and guide-friendly - unlike the Sopa lodges were our guide was not allowed for dinner with us. The pool area was very nice with great views and a lounge. Evening entertainment was organised which was…‘entertaining’ indeed….not sure how genuine but then again this is more in a Club med style than an independent traveler place. I’d recommend the place for families or people that like comfort, however it can be a bit ‘artificial’. We stayed afterwards in a couple of (rather civilized) ‘camps’ (Basecamp Masai and Ngorongoro Crater Forest) with no fences and the experience is completely different, much closer to nature and wildlife."

• Travel date: 15th January 2007

beautiful setting, terrible beds, lots of animals, awful entertainment

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"We stayed one night with our three children. The rooms are huge but noisy and the beds very uncomfortable. The food was mediocre but the setting was beautiful. Flamingos were disapointing due to the drought- lots of other animals. The pool was under constuction. The entertainment that evening was acrobats which were somewhat embarrassing. Not sure if that is the normal for the lodge."

• Travel date: 26th June 2006

bit of a disappointment.. better stick to Serena's!!

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"This Lodge has everything going for it.. we had a FANTASTIC big room with an amazing view. This was the only lodge we stayed in which wasn't a Serena and to be truthful it showed! The staff were slow, unhelpful & obviously not too happy (unlike Serena staff who are apparently very well looked after). Little things like no insect repellent in the rooms spoiled the experience for us. The food wasn't very good- just didn't look fresh, wasn't a lot of choice & most 'hot' thing weren't! I believe there isn't a lot of choice lodge wise in this area..so I guess that's why they don't try so hard as you don't have the option of going elsewhere!! Was ok but could be Soooo much better!"

• Travel date: 13th April 2006

Nice lodge

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"During our 6-night safari through Northern and Central Kenya, we also stayed 1 night at the Lake Nakuru Lodge!! Spacious and beautifully decorated rooms/cottages with mosquito nets, even though there were a few mosquitos around and we found a really big spider in our room the next morning. The view from the terrace is great, we saw rhinos at sunrise and from some rooms, you could even see the lake at distance. On the hotel grounds, there are lots of birds everywhere, we managed to see different kinds of sunbirds (kolibri) and other colourful birds!! Food was average, staff were nice and eveing entertainment was interesting. Pool had a great view of the surroundings and Lake Nakuru and it looked inviting, but we didn`t test it ourselves though. Annika&Peter!!"

• Travel date: 11th March 2006

Avoid if possible - food a health hazzard

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"Stayed for one night in January 2006. I travelled all over Kenya and this lodge was by far the worst experience. The food is awful, service terrible and management (when you complain) completely inept. My fellow travellers and I complained at the 3 separate meals we had about food hygiene and the fact everything which was supposed to be hot was cold. That's five different people all having a bad experience. I had some sort of cockroach type insect fall in front of me at dinner at the same time a cracked plate was put in front of me (and the insect could not fly). Dinner was served on the plate (which I changed) 15 minutes later and was cold. Obviously it had been sitting in the kitchen 15 minutes when it should have been served. It was cold and the turkey drier than you can imagine! It would be a nightmare staying anything longer than one night. The staff were miserable - in contrast to the other lodges where they seemed happy and motivated in their work. The rooms were not cleaned thoroughly (clearly not checked by a supervisor) and the mosquito nets were filthy. One other gripe is that the other lodges I stayed in had insect repellent you could spray in the rooms. Lake Nakuru Lodge did not. Also the shop did not sell anything useful like insect repellent or antiseptic cream. I asked at Reception if they had a first aid kit as I got a bite when my bags had already been loaded on the van. They did not have anything - which meant I had to have my bags unloaded to get cream. I was amazed they didn't have a first aid kit. I absolutely loved the other lodges I stayed in. Kenya was a great experience on the whole. However the Lake Nakuru Lodge will stay in my mind for all the wrong reasons. Its supposed to be a 4 star establishment - but the reality is it would struggle to get 1 star in Europe."

• Travel date: 6th February 2006

Lake Nakuru Lodge

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"A great lodge in a great park based in the middle of no where. Good food, good facilities and average rooms (some better than others). The rooms are better than the Ark which is based in the Aberdares National Park if you want to compare standards as many travellers will be moving from one park to another. That said it is definitely worth a visit to see all the wild life and the four million flamingos( lost count after that). Best to stay two or three nights to make sure you see everything in the park if you are using a guide. But again remeber its all about seeing the animals."

• Travel date: 27th September 2005

OK - BUT A GREAT OPPORTUNITY MISSED

Reviewed 14th November 2012

"Great location 5km south of the lake itself..excellent view over the lake and its tens of thousands of pelicans and flamingoes. Rooms are OK with a bathroom as big as the main room ( but no bath despite all the space! )...Strange. Food was the big let down....unimaginative, over cooked typical mid class hotel fare...served in a very dingy restaurant area...not exactly something to write home about. Food in general was luke warm to cold. Great views, but hotel would benefit from night time floodlights so guests can view the large amount of wildlife that passed by overnight. Hotel could be lovely with a bit of thought and investment....however, only one other lodge in the park, so if you want to go to Nakuru not many options available accomodation wise. OK for a night but wouldn't be too keen to spend a week here!"

• Travel date: 26th March 2005

Hotels near Lake Nakuru Lodge

Lake Nakuru Lodge is also called

• lake nakuru
  • nakuru lodge
  • lake nakuru lodge hotel