Good
Good

Good hotel, terrible management

Reviewed 24th December 2013

"Arrived the hotel on the 12 of Dec. and the minute we arrived, sensed that there was something wrong. Front desk crew were escaping from us. Finally they sent a girl to handle us. System had an error and overbooked us she said. We had to spend 3 night in another hotel. Apologies, apologies but no solutions at all. Finally operations manager came and started to handle us by throwing free lunches, massages. We accepted 5 free lunches through out our stay and 2 massages. We were already too tired to fight over anything accepted 5 lunches and 2 massages and checked in to a not even a 3 star hotel next door. We had massages and asked to pay for it with in the same day twice. They sent someone from front desk to find us in the facility like if we were escaping. Interesting part was when we were at spa our names were given to the spa manager for complimentary massages. 3 Days later came back to the hotel and are warned that no more lunches because we were back and no more inconvenience caused by them. Even when we talked to them, they said they don`t remember promising lunches with a straight face 3 days ago they were smiling on the way to the other hotel unfortunately when we were back we could not find any friendly faces. I guess they were done with us. We were even promised to get an upgrade but were given the rooms which we were booked already. Finally, great place to stay but management sucks. If they promise something get it in writing don`t take their words. They treat you as freeloader, you treat them as liars, which that is what they do. Do not ever believe and let them take you to another hotel, fight back and stay in the hotel. I hope they can get variety on their buffets too. "

• Travel date: 18th December 2013

Not great at all

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"The only thing 5 star about this hotel is the price. Pool area is 4 star, food is 3 star, service is 2 star and accomodation is 1 star. I spent 4 nights there and booked 3 rooms. The rooms haven't been touched since the hotel opened by the looks of things. There were some good staff but the majority are rude and slow. The website is deceiving. There are many better hotels in East Africa. If you expect true 5 star accomodation and service give this a skip."

• Travel date: 10th January 2007

Leopard Beach Hotel

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"We stayed at the Leopard Beach Hotel after doing the Cheetah Safari with Kuoni. We had paid for a superior room and on arrival was slightly disappointed with it. The room was large but just looked as if it was in need of refurbishment, especially the bathrooms. I was slightly suspicious that we had in fact been given a lower grade room instead but on the day of departure we were given a standard room for a few hours after we checked out and there was a difference in the rooms with the standard room being smaller and the mattresses on the beds being rock hard. We were on Half Board and therefore had to eat in the buffet restaurant for our evening meal which was okay but fairly repetitive after a few nights. We did eat out on a couple of occasions and if you inform reception prior you can have your evening meal taken at lunch time at any of the other restaurants (Italian, Beach grill and Poolside) which were really good. The drinks are really reasonably priced and the local Tusker beer is good. The hotel grounds and gardens are beautiful and imaculate and the beach is gorgeous to look at (you just can't go onto it for too long before you get hastled to buy something from one of the locals). One downside is the reception/cashier staff who were very moody and unhelpful. I would highly recommend eating out one night at Ali Barbours Cave Restaurant which is 5 minutes away using its free bus, the setting and food are out of this world and I would rank it as one of the top 5 restaurants I have ever eaten in, certainly not what I would have expected in Kenya!! Also the Tamarind Dhow Evening Dinner cruise is a must. All in all had a lovely holiday however for £1750PP for 2 week safari/beach I would have expected it to be slightly more luxurious."

• Travel date: 27th November 2006

Fantastic

Reviewed 9th December 2012

"We stayed here on honeymoon and had a fantastic time. The staff were always so happy and willing to help. The food was good and something different every night and highly recommend a visit to Chui Grill within the hotel - beautiful food. Any questions we had were always answered politely and we were always given the correct information in a polite manner - couldn't have asked for anything more."

• Travel date: 5th November 2006

Worst Service

Reviewed 4th November 2012

"We booked the hotel as a wedding trip for a number of guests. Terrible service from staff. Extremely rude. No one bothered to apologise for the messing up our bookings. We and our guests were most disappointed. The rooms had mosquito nets with massive holes. Air conditioning was poor and the only good thing were the very expensive cocktails at the bar where we drowned our sorrows."

• Travel date: 2nd October 2006

Awe hotel

Reviewed 4th November 2012

"We stayed at the hotel for 3 day and 3 nights and absolutley loved our visit there. The views and the abiensce were spectacular and the staff was both friendly and very helpfull. When we arrive at the hotel they had dinner served on the beach with a live band playing local music. My wife simply loved and the food was decent. The hotel also has various restaurants where dinner is served and the food was always good. Both my wife and my son and I had diarrhe during our stay but we had it when we came and had it when we left. I dought it was the food. Some imodium help keep this in check though. Overall we love the hotel very much and will definatly go back on our next trip to mombasa"

• Travel date: 19th September 2006

Fantastic honeymoon location

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"We did not have ANY complaints about hotel. we honeymooned for 3 nights at leopard beach in one suite then a 3 night safari and rest of 9 in another suite- double sunken jacuzzi baths in each and private area with swinging hammock seat- perched on a small cliff overlooking the ocean. Staff 110% commited to ensuring your very need is met. Food excellent- no trouble with poorly tummies except once whilst out on safari. Beauty therapist massages were fantastic- laying overlooking the ocean. Rooms spotlessly clean, cocktails wonderful!! we dont have children but there were a few of them there and they seemed to have a fantatic time with the entertainments teams... who seemed excellent. we would so love to return......"

• Travel date: 18th September 2006

Enjoyed Leopard Beach Resort

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"Stayed 7 nights from 1 Sept 06 with husband, no kids in Superior room on half board basis. Booked as part of safari and beach package with Kuoni. Got there about 10pm tired and grubby. Met with cold flannel (sorry, but it made my skin smell musty) and cold fruity punch. Too dark to notice surroundings. Checked in to Superior room as expected. Double and a single bed, family room with connecting door, no idea why we were allocated this as there were only 2 of us. Large room with view to the side of the sea (room 404). Ground floor with patio and sun loungers outside. First impressions not good, old tatty dark wood furniture and wooden beds - think park bench with mattresses, hard and very creaky. Bathroom shabby, old and mouldy looking. Slightly shabby looking rattan sofa, chair and coffee table. Didn't strike me as the described 'luxurious, first class accomodation' with extensive and ongoing renovation, so 2 very unhappy bunnies returned to reception. Had a polite, civilised conversation (I don't approve of shouting and rude, that won't get you anywhere) and agreed to stay first night there with view to looking at alternative rooms in the morning. It was my 30th wedding anniversary and hubbies birthday so I had no plans to spend 7 nights in a shabby room/hotel. Staff showed us an alternative room in the morning, king sized comfy bed, newish furnishings. Bathroom still a trifle old fashioned (peach with bidet), shower curtain a bit tatty but I could live with that (room 307). Spacious with patio as before and view of gardens and sea (just). Whole thing, brighter, cleaner, newer, more comfy. NOW we were as I had expected. This hotel has LOVELY well maintained gardens. All the staff are friendly and polite. Plenty of food variety, themed evenings. Mostly part served, part buffet, something for everyone and pretty good with the desserts compared with other places we stayed on our trip. Hotel is thatched spread of accomodation in blocks of 2 storey x 20 rooms in each block (8 blocks I think) or individual cottages/suites. Very tastefully designed environment and generally looks very smart - clearly renovated public areas and all external features of accomodation. Pool - plenty of beds while we were there, shady and sunny spots plus 2 areas of private 'beach' with thatch 'umbrellas' if you prefer to sit on beds in sand and view the sea. Towels are supplied and if you bung one of the pool staff 100 shillings on the first day (when you've decided where you like to sit) that same person will most likely 'reserve' it for you for your entire stay (top up first tip every couple of days). One restaurant for 'inclusive' meals plus others if you want to pay for something different. Personally, if you are going to pay extra why eat in the resort. Plenty of places outside although you are not advised to walk to them at night, most have free collect/drop arrangements when your booking is made. We ate at Ali Barbours Cave for a special occasion - lovely. A proper cave with a big open hole in the top. Resort has couple of covered places with loads of comfy furnishings specifically for if you want to go and sit out of the sun (or rain) and read/relax/wait etc. Afternoon tea/coffee is served free from 4pm in the covered area near the pool. Can buy crepes or cake the size of a brick for £1, very nice. Daytime poolside activities and evening entertainment (the acrobats were excellent). Musicians can be a bit of a pain trying to flog you their CD's, just be firm. Would I stay here again, definitely yes if I want to be on the South coast, although I can't comment on the Standard rooms and I'd be picky about the superior room again too. An all round really nice hotel by Kenyan standards in my opinion. Negative points - very few: Initial problem with room but sorted with no bother. Hubby had 'Mombasa Express' .........twice! I was fine (more or less). Maybe combination of heat, food, drink, etc - who knows but par for the course in Kenya and others staying elsewhere had it miles worse. He was OK with Immodium and a rest from stuffing his face. Showers: fixed head one about as powerful as a watering can. Bath attachment one (yes the bathroom has both) very powerful but no wall attachement so you have to hold it. Did not need to add cold water at any time night or morning, hot water temperature never got beyond that hot enough to shower in all on it's own at any time of the morning or evening. Beach boys a right PAIN in the behind. Virtually impossible to take a peaceful walk on the beach, pester, pester, pester until we gave up and went back to hotel. Not scary or intimidating though, just constantly trying to engage you in conversation with the longer term view of drawing you to their 'shop'. Seriously got on my nerves and short of being really rude it was impossible to shake them off - get rid of one lot and the next is there within seconds. Like pesky mosquitoes..........! Not the fault of the hotel. All in all - an excellent choice and I hope this helps someone reach a decision on where to stay. Anything needs clarifying just ask on the Kenya forum."

• Travel date: 9th September 2006

Nothing to do unless you pay extra

Reviewed 9th December 2012

"Leopard Beach This hotel was definitely not 5*, nearer to 3* in my opinion. I was shocked that we had to pay even for drinking water, as well as other soft drinks even at meal times. (This meant making frequent trips to the local supermarket to bring in drinks rather than pay the hotels inflated prices every time we wanted to drink something) The room and bathroom were very poor. It was small, had very limited view of the sea, and not at all well equipped: No mosquito net in the room- I was bitten 33 times, mostly in the first couple of nights, until we complained and a basic net was fitted. No duvets on beds just poor quality blankets No iron, pens, shoe horns, shoee cleaning products, laundry sacks, trouser press. No room safe, I had to hire a safe deposit box at the reception at a cost of 700 KSH, which was also very inconvenient. The food in the horizon retaurant was poor. The food was often not fresh, with desserts especially clearly being served up several times The menus were repetitive, and it was very disappointing that although the hotel has 5 restaurants we were only allowed to eat in Horizon as part of our half board. I had expected to be able to eat in a different restaurant each night, perhaps using some sort of voucher system. We ate outside the hotel one evening at the nearby Indian Restaurant Shan y Punjab where the food was excellent, and the total cost of the meal for both of us with drinks which included free transport to and from the hotel cost 2100 KSH, less than than the typical price of the evening meal at the Leopard beach FOR ONE PERSON WITHOUT ANY DRINKS There were very limited free organised programs within the hotel itself, and really in the middle of nowhere, with nowhere to walk other than the local supermarket. I would have expected the following to be available free of charge: Buses to Mombasa Tennis coaching/ competition Kayaking/ surfing/ windsurfing as a minimum free equipment hire, with possibly a small charge for tuition. Poolside entertainment there was not even any music, let alone big screen TV etc. On the other hand, the hotel clearly had no problem in allowing traders (no doubt for profit) into the hotel dining room on various nights to sell paintings, and wood carvings. I felt this was particularly exploitive considering the lack of free programmes provided by the hotel. Complaining either directly through the Guests services, and mnagement or indirectly through the available questionaires generated polite but ineffective response to all of these issues. After 3 days we were offered a change of room, which we declined, and a free bottle of wine which we also declined as it was an insult."

• Travel date: 8th September 2006

Stunning Hotel

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"We travelled as a group and had 3 standard rooms, took 2 young children (6 and 2 at the time). Warm greeting at the hotel, very friendly. All staff were very helpful and friendly, my kids fell in love with them and the facilities, nice pool and beach. Restaurants were all good, great lobster at the beach restaurant. The buffet was good with different theme nights, even kids enjoyed the food. Chui Grill was a stunning restaurant for a special occasion. On our last night we arranged a special dinner (extra cost) at the private beach section where we had our own dedicated cooks and waiters cooking various delicacies for us - a great way to end the holiday. Nice drinks and cocktails at the Marios & Marcos Bars. AI was worth it, although ended up with lots of paper receipts. Beach walking was great as was a walk out to sea on the coral when tide out. The local beach boys will all hassle you initially but worth sorting out the good from bad who can take you for a walk and tell you about the various sealife, and what not to tread on ! (Urchins and Stonefish - wear protective waterproof footwear). They will ask for silly money, but barter down. Other activities included table tennis, water polo, tennis (beware the sun at 4-5pm as got burned!), great massage (thought Thai girl was pull my arm out but very good in the end). Kids had plenty to do with beach activities and other programmes, and occasional childminding service was trustworthy. The ladies in our party were very happy with the beauty treatments. Decent entertainment most nights, although be prepared for hardsell from Masai dancers - Barter! Some other places to go for nightlife include Forty Thieves and Tamarind Dhow. We took a short safari to FInch Hattons and Satao Camp via the independent onsite tour company Southern Cross. Again barter down. Finch Hattons very collonial but luxury tent complex great atmosphere, Satao very rough and ready but fine. Julius was our driver, an ex Kenya Boxing champ and recon driver for rallies, and top driver - could spot wildlife from a great distance - all other drivers from other companies were keeping in contact with him as he was the best spotter. A great holiday, would definately come again, a relaxed 5 star."

• Travel date: 20th August 2006

Leopard Beach

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"We spend 2.5 weeks at Leopard beach with our 3 children and were fully satisfied by the hotel. Peole tried to help us and were very nice. Weather was not optimal and we had 2 days of rain. Otherwise it was raining almost every day a little. The bars and restaurant were numerous with a lot of animation. We had beach parties which were pleasant. The only problem with the food were the deserts which were not really good. The tiramisu we had at the Chui grill was the worse of my life. The animation team was frendly and I enjoyed the activities. Concerning diving many people with little experience complained about the dives. I am a rescue diver and had also the worse experience of my life since the boat was sinking and I lost part of my items but was reimbused by the insurance. Beach boys were always on me at the begining but after a few days I told them fermly that I wanted to be alone and it was OK. Thus I definitely recommend the Leopard beach Hotel to families with children."

• Travel date: 19th August 2006

Hotels near Leopard Beach Resort & Spa

Top traveller tips for Leopard Beach Resort & Spa

• by Mustafa T

"take every promise or offer in writing..."

Leopard Beach Resort & Spa is also called

• leopard beach resort
  • leopard beach
  • hotel leopard beach resort & spa