Kahama Hotel Bamburi Beach, Mombasa

• telephone
  • newspaper
  • gift shop amenities
  • soundproof rooms
  • wake up service alarm clock
  • nightclub dj
  • sofa
  • mosquito net

Nice place

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"We stayed in the "penthouse" on the top of the main building. Fantastic apartment. 2 bedrooms both ensuite, small living room with tv and a kitchen and a balcony. Staff at the hotel were fine as well, happy and chatty. They have a nice bar which gets busy on a weekend too. It rained one night very heavily (it was the rainy season) and our apartment got flooded, they reimbursed us so we got the night free. Im a regular traveller to Mombasa and I think Kahama Hotel is the best value for money you will find outside the big all inclusive hotels. Good location, nice rooms, nice staff."

• Travel date: Tue 27th of July 2010

what! Too awsome.

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"its a beautiful place, came with my friends for a weekend getaway, lovely rooms, lovely enviroment, good bfast, am the pple are just gr8, friendly, always ready to assist. Its a great value for money, ivpe been to many hotel with higher ratings, but the service and atmosphere created here, is nothing compared to them. Honest. Id recommend this to anyone business, or other wise..."

• Travel date: Tue 27th of April 2010

Low Cost Kenyan Run Hotel ...... But Great Value & Comfort !

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"As a Proud Kenyan ....... Kahama Hotel is the first to deserve my FIRST review of a locally owned hotel !

Friends I came with recommended Kahama Hotel and I loved every minute of staying there ! It is great to see that Kenyans now are giving Kenyans just what they need at the Mombasa Coast - Low Cost but luxury hotel rooms and great staff who welcome us Kenyans there ! They do live upto their advertising !

Kahama Hotel rooms are large with good furnishings and AC's that work well & quietly and full DSTV satellite TV's in rooms. Hot water in showers available 24hours - a must for the Mombasa heat & humidity and more importantly to recover after a great night out clubbing nearby. Great big pool to lounge around all day in recovery mode !

Well located near beach, shopping, banks, clubs & restaurants and near Mombasa Town & Airport. For us good time fellas the Kahama Hotel has a great sports bar with live bands + DJ daily & four amazing cinema-size outside screens to watch more than one football game at a time whilst having a beer .. or ... two .... or .... three or ..... !

Great Value & Fun place to stay in Mombasa - I fully recommend Kahama Hotel to anyone - you will not be disappointed !!!

Pete - A Proud Kenyan !!!"

• Travel date: Fri 23rd of April 2010

Amazing place to stay!

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I spent days and weeks on the internet searching for the best accommodation for me and my husband: meaning not very expensive, but still decent, not far from the beach, and if it's possible hotel where we could feel local culture. It was mission impossible.
In very last moment, on this site, on forum, I learned about Kahama hotel in Mombasa. I liked it so much, and didn't have any doubts that we will go exactly there. In meantime, we learned they have hotels in Nairobi too, and really in a very last moment (half and hour before our flight to Nairobi) we booked it, agreed about transfer from the airport to hotel, about early morning check in...
Of course, still I couldn't be sure that everything will be as good as it looked like, but it was even more then that!
In the airport their taxi driver waited for us, we really checked in immediately after we arrived (which was very important after 10 hours of flight from Moscow), so we could have a rest before going to see the town. Service there was very good, they helped us to buy sim card for local mobile network, gave us some main information about town...and that was enough for us. The only negative thing maybe is the location of hotel, cause it is in, as we learned later, not very safe zone of town. It means that after dark, it is not smart to be walking around. But ok, a day time we would take a short walk to the center (which is really close), and in the evening we would go back by taxi.
After two days of staying in Nairobi, we moved into Kahama hotel in Mombasa. And that was really amazing! The same advantages and pluses we found out in Kahama in Nairobi, just all togehter looks even better! Very friendly and helpful receptionists (I will mention Rachel and Kennedy), very pleasant service in restaurant (Fidelis, Eunice ) around pool ( Karisa,Said)...all local people, and all so great...
What is good there? Everything: big and very clean rooms, new furniture,air condition, nice ambient in hotel, around hotel...and a lot of local people, which we really appreciated! Great pool, big and very clean (the only mystery was what they put in the water in the pool, so that blond hair becomes green:)...very near to the beach...great bar and restaurant with a very good music all the time, especially when they have live music (great local band was playing 2 times a week)..and prices very reasonable with very tasty food. The stuff was so kind that, for example, when we were on safari, and we missed our breakfast, they served us our breakfast in the evening! And not that they kept it from the morning, but they cooked it for us at 8.00 in the evening! It is not so much about breakfast by itself, but about attitude and great approach to the guests.
All at all, Kahama (which we learned it means: migration) is place where we will stay next time when we come to Kenya, and would recommend to everyone. I really can't understand how is possible to have such a good hotel for such a small price!"

• Travel date: Fri 26th of March 2010

Wonderful!!

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"From their taxi services from the airport Kahama hotel excels in customer care.the staff are friendly and supportive.the rooms were very clean with cosy big comfy beds and the ambiance was just relaxing..Pitcher & Butch restaurant,a replica of its counterpart at Parklands Shade Hotel is a must visit,the service was excellent,for sports lovers like me you'd totally enjoy watching sports at this joint."

• Travel date: Tue 16th of March 2010

Amazing - An Undiscovered Gem - Best Value Hotel in Bamburi, Mombasa

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"An Undiscovered Gem - found it by accident (from local newspapers) !!! Kahama Hotel has fantastic rooms that put most of the big 5 star hotels in Bamburi Beach area to shame ! It is a small hotel on large grounds with 30 odd rooms that are all very bright, well furnished, spacious and have modern remote control AC (that work quietly!), Tv's with Satellite and best of all (for my wife) were the big spacious showers and bathrooms. We were impressed to find out it was 100% owned & run by Kenyan Africans, unlike many Mombasa Hotels. Kahama Hotel also has a huge pool with free sunbeds and pool towels and better still a lively Sports Bar & Pub with good pub & local grub, live bands & DJ daily that kept us well entertained - I loved the new outside big screen for live football games ! Fact for fact, their price of 33Euros or kenya shillings 3,350 (bed 7 breakfast) is amazing value for such a well maintained & very clean hotel - still wonder how they manage at such a low price in a great location a couple of minutes walk away from the beach ! My wife & I were amazed that we were lucky to stumble on this gem of hotel with fantastic friendly staff - they even have Masai warriors as ambassadors to assist ! We highly recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone that wants a good hotel at a fraction of what the other big hotels charge ! Our next Mombasa trip will definitely include a return stay at Kahama Hotel !"

• Travel date: Thu 21st of May 2009

Very nice Hotel

Reviewed Sun 14th of October 2012

"The Kahama Hotel on Bamburi Beach is not really on the beach, but tucked 1 block back from the beach. If this concerns you, let me tell you that the first day I was there and wanted to go to the beach, the Massai guard at the resort took us to the beach via the safe way, and every time we took that route to the beach thereafter, we had no problems.
The Kahama Hotel is Kenyan owned, which was a deciding factor for me. They treated me as just another customer while I was there, regardless of if I was black or white. They employ Kenyans, and most of their clientele are Kenyan. This explains why the prices are so cheap compared to other places in the area. The Hotel is priced to be affordable for Kenyans who earn a reasonable salary. This means that if you are holidaying from overseas, this is a very affordable Hotel for you. The Kahama Hotel (if you are in the King size room) has a very large bed, a very good and effective air conditioner, tv with a couple of English language channels, and no in room mini bar. The restaurant/bar is great, the food is good, and the service is fantastic (as it is in most parts of Kenya), and they show a lot of sports in the bar. The swimming pool is always kept clean and the water is very warm.
If you go down on the beach and want to buy some souvenirs, look for a guy on the beach called Captain Samson. I got all of my souvenirs from him, and he gave me good prices, and good quality stuff.
If you have any questions about this Hotel, message me, and I will be happy to help out."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of April 2009

Awesome location.. reasonable price. Will definitely return!

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"We stayed here for 3 weeks in Jan-Feb 2009. It was our second trip to Kenya. This hotel used to be called Octopus and it has been recently improved with the addition of a sports bar/pub. I was surprised at how big the room and bathroom were, and the grounds were very nice and quiet. It is within walking distance of Barclay's and very near many good restaurants and nightclubs. I liked that it was bed and breakfast only.. the breakfast was good and I liked being able to be flexible and try the different restaurants around without feeling guilty for skipping the dinner I already paid for at the hotel! The wait staff were very friendly as well as the masai security guards. The hotel has only 32 rooms so while we were there we felt like family. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is not interested in spending the entire vacation on the hotel grounds. Kahama will be the first place I contact next year when we book for Kenya!"

• Travel date: Sat 21st of February 2009

A great place to stay...

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"Myself and my partner stayed at this hotel in bamburi for a week in January and we were very pleasantly surprised..The rooms are very spacious and nicely decorated...and are well air conditioned..the bathrooms are also spacious and the shower had hot water at all times.. the price was very very reasonable which included a very substantial breakfast each morning..cereal/fresh fruit/bacon /sausage/eggs toast.etc.and as much tea/coffee and frsh juice as you want..the staff are all very professional and above all very helpful and very friendly..there is a good bar near the pool and entertainment is provided most nights...and anyone interested in the english premiership wont be dissappointed as nearly all games are shown on the big screens in the bar....overall i would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and we hope to return there again ourselves oneday...we miss the place and the staff..."

• Travel date: Thu 29th of January 2009

As always... I Loved the atmosphere n convenience!

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"I have stayed at one of the group's hotels in Nairobi - Parklands Shade Hotel n loved it! They recommended their hotel in Mombasa i decided to give it a try. I must say that i really liked the rooms, especially the huge beds and the option of a hot shower. The staff were quite friendly too. It was also good that they made the reservations and allowed me to pay in Nairobi. The best part was discovering that they had a replica of the nairobi Pitcher & Butch bar... that was a nice surprise! I must also say that the rates were very affordable... We had fun!"

• Travel date: Wed 20th of August 2008