Good

Fantastic stay

Reviewed Mon 31st of December 2012

"As the first lodge on our Safari I thought -'this is going to be hard to beat' Cheli and Peacock have outstanding properties and people working for them.

Tortilis was amazing. The accomodation, service, food, safari, people...everything was outstanding.

We stayed in the family tent overlooking Mt Kilimanjaro and it was amazing and the kids loved having their own room and bathroom. The staff were great with the children and they have fond memories of the guides and maasi camp.

The room was great with a flushing loo and hot shower. The mini bar was an esky but the bar area was a short walk away and we loved watching the animals at the water hole.

The game drives were great and although there is more people out here than the other parks we all still took turns in looking at the animals.

Could not recommend a better place to stay. Only hope I can go back sooner."

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of January 2008

Tortilis Camp - no ants when I visited

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"In reply to Beautiful Dawn in Vancouver BC, I just returned from Africa and stayed at Tortilis Camp from Aug 19-22, 2007 and there were no ants to be seen. In fact there were no insects of any kind. We all have periodic problems with insects and I'm sure that Beautiful Dawn just happened to be there when there was an outbreak.

I agree with everything else that was said about Tortilis and must add that the service provided by the staff was exceptional, as was the outgoing friendliness of everyone there. I felt like I was staying at a small B&B even when the camp was fully occupied."

• Travel date: Sat 8th of September 2007

Tortilis is a beautiful camp, with Kilimanjaro right in your face!

Good
Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Tortilis was the first safari camp experience of our trip, and what an incredible experience it was!! A beautiful, fantastic camp! It was the nicest, most beautifully decorated camp I went to the entire safari (and we went to some of the best!) A beautiful thatched roof, open bar/lounge and dining room, over looking the wilderness and fantastic views of Kilimanjaro. A lovely (lit at night) cobble stone pathway that leads you around the entire camp, right down to your tents. There’s also a fire pit that you can cozy around for the evenings. Just fantastic. Even the common restrooms in the reception area were lovely - fresh flowers and individual hand towels, the works! For me, décor and style is something that can make an ordinary holiday experience simply extraordinary. Tortilis made my time extraordinary. I never would have expected a safari tented camp in the middle of the African wilderness to be so aesthetically pleasing to the eye, offer incredibly delicious food and provide such amazing service!

Accomodations:
The tent accommodations with a thatched roof were very quaint and cute, with a lovely cobblestone sitting area outside on the patio. It was so relaxing to just lie on your bed and read with the tent flaps open to let in the fresh air and hear the sounds of nature. Electricity was on all night if you needed it, though I couldn’t power my hair dryer from the tent, I had to go to the pool area. Be careful not to keep your tent flaps open when you’re gone though, the monkeys like to sneak in and steal stuff and make a mess! Also, one evening we discovered a squirrel/mouse type of animal crawling on the walls of our tent. Kind of a freaky experience. We got it out, finally!

Dining:
Dining took place in a lovely thatched roof open building with fantastic views of Kilimanjaro (when it’s not covered in cloud) and wilderness below, as well as a water hole where animals come and drink from (though we didn’t see many animals at it when we were there). The food was buffet style for breakfast and lunch and dinner was served right to our table. The food was delicious and fresh. They have their own garden where they grow many of their herbs and vegetables. A lot of pastas on the menus. Excellent, excellent food.

Game Drives:
We actually didn’t have Tortilis camp do our game drives, we had booked through another company. There are actually a lot of animals in Amboseli. They don’t have a lot of cats, but they have lots and lots of zebras, gazelles, elephants, and of course the gorgeous views of Kilimanjaro.

One Complaint:
There was one thing that unfortunately tainted my experience at Tortilis. Upon arrival we were whisked right into the dining room to have a late lunch, and much to my horror, there were hundreds of little, tiny ants crawling on the dining room floor. So many that, they would be crawling on my flip flops if I didn’t lift my feet up. Ewwww!!! There weren’t quite as many the next time we dined, but they were still there. This was really unfortunate. IT made it so that at dinner, when it was dark and there was very low lighting, I was always paranoid and wondering if the ants were crawling on me. I would lift my feet and shake them a bit. A little further into our time at Tortilis, I think they may have sprayed or done something, though, because there seemed to be less and less of them in the dining room; however, there were still hundreds on the cobblestone pathways around the camp (not on our patio area though). My jeans were a little frayed at the bottom, and dragged a little on the ground when I walked and when we returned from dinner, I had tones of little ants caught in the fray of my jeans. If it hadn’t been for this one thing, my time there would have been perfect. I was preparing for the worst in the whole “bug” situation when going to Africa – you know, mosquitos, spiders etc. Interestingly, I saw hardly any mosquitos or spiders, and instead I had to deal with hundreds of little ants. Kind of gross!!

Other than that, Tortilis was AMAZING!! It could have been that the ants aren’t always there in such droves and they take care of it. I’m not sure. But, if they do something to take care of the problem, it’s the perfect place to visit and relax and enjoy the beauty of nature."

• Travel date: Tue 21st of August 2007

World Class

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"We booked Tortilis after reading a few reviews and speaking to a few people in Kenya. We were not disappointed.

It truly deserves to be on the Conde Naste Gold List for both 2005 and 2006. Having being brought up in Kenya and travelled to many camps / lodges I can say that service is first class and truly stands out from other Kenyan lodges / tented camps.

Most places have outstanding vistas, Kenya is blessed! However waking up in the moring to see Mt Kilimanjaro with nothing in between is something special. The best views are from the Family tent / room ( comes with its own private watering hole).

We had 2 small children in our group and the staff were absolutely amazing with them.

All aspects from the Italian food to the sundowners were well planned and executed.

We will definitely going back after we have visited the sister camp - Elsa's Kopje first!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 20th of November 2006

Fantastic experience

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"Tortilis is everything Cheli & Peacock's website says it will be. The view of Kilimanjaro is stunning. If you stay in tent #1 or #2, it is the first thing you will see in the morning (unless the clouds decide differently). From the lovely bar/lounge and patio you can watch the waterhole with its local marabou and frequenting elephants and antelopes. The food is good, but for excellence in absurdum you have to go to Little Governor's Camp in Masai Mara. At Tortilis, service is wonderful and attentive, the open jeeps perfect, so much wildlife your head spins, complementary bush walks and sundowners on a hill... The list can go on and on. The tents are gorgeous. For the location and dining room alone, this was my favourite place in Kenya. Oh, and there's a pool, in case you can find the time."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of October 2006

Best Kept Secret In Kenya

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"It is with difficulty that I review Tortilis Camp as this may be one of the best kept secrets in Kenya. A small lodge, renowned (in Kenya) for its Italian inspired cuisine, it is perhaps my favorite African experience - one surely to be echoed by my children, aged 12 and 8. We have travelled extensively in Africa and Tortilis is a camp that we will return to again over the years. Our children are particularly fond of Let (an amazingly knowledgeable guide who is proud of his country) and Lewis - the world's most friendly and accomodating bartender - but who wouldn't be given the vista that he works from every day!"

• Travel date: Thu 24th of August 2006

A Must!

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"A fantastic place in every way. We stayed for 3 night and safaried for 4 from Tortilis. Our party included myself, my wife and 10 year old boy. We are seasoned travellers and would strongly reccommend this camp as being excellent. Some reasons:

1. Staff could not do enough. Genuine, corteous, fun. Management bent over backwards to help on all matters.
2. Standard of food and accommo was execllent. Tents are under solid thatched canopies and raised off the ground. It is all eco friendly and very respectful to the environment without losing the feel of "luxury". Cuisine is fabulous, varied and appealing. Chef is always approachable which is a good sign.
3. Pool - great, big enough and refreshing.
4. Safari - out of this world with highly skilled, safe and caring guides. Vehicles by the way are open Land Rovers which are great - not these 'closed' , windowed mini-buses that most other places had.
5. Excursions fab- especially the bush breakfast - our own chef! Also the sundown drinks on top of the highest point! Also.. the walk with a young Masai warrior who shared his survival secrets with us. All this was included!!
We booked thru Cheli and Peacock - and felt very well taken care of, even down to being given flying doctor cards in case. Oh by the way there is an emergency runway for this purpose right next to the camp (very well planned).
Overall, incredible and unforgettable. We made good friends. We'd go back. Don't bother shopping around further - choose Tortilis."

• Travel date: Sun 16th of April 2006

Great beginning of the year

Reviewed Sun 14th of October 2012

"We have been in Tortilis Camp the 1st day of the year 2005. I cannot image a better way to begin. The place is wonderful, the tent is the best, the staff is excellent; very clean and with so many details that give you a lot of comfort and beauty. You can see Kilimanjaro from the restaurant and sometimes from your tent. There is a swimmingpool where rest between safari and safari. The food is perfect, not a lot, remember that you are in Africa and you aren´t going to find a very big buffett with a lot of cakes. But, they have olive oil, fresh vegetables grown by their own. I can recommend everybody. Have a tusker in the restaurant during the sunset is something that I couldn´t forget."

• Travel date: Sat 15th of January 2005

Tortilis Camp- WOW-OUTSTANDING

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"Just returned from 4 national parks and 4 camps. By far the best was Tortilis. Professional, exemplary service, classy, great food, very personal staff.

Just a top notch place but also blends with the environment."

• Travel date: Sat 8th of January 2005