Great place lousy sevice

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"The tents and facilities at the Sentrim were very good, the meals very good and plentiful , but the have no idea on customer service"

• Travel date: Tue 1st of September 2009

a befitting finale

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"Amboseli was the last stop on our trip and the Sentrim property was a relatively unknown entity. However our tour organizer strongly recommended it and we can't thank them enough for that . Amboseli is a magical place with mirages , dust devils and some mystery lurking around every corner . Sentrim lodge fully complemented the enjoyment of the park . It is a sparkling new place with a wonderful staff and a buffet which is not overwhelming in variety but excellent in preparation . The mountain was mostly covered with clouds but it did clear for a few moments to reveal the top . The camp has a wooden platform at the camp periphery for viewing the mountain and it comes in very handy when you are waiting for the clouds to part . If you linger too long in the evening , a Maasai warrior appears from nowhere with a fighting stick to gaurd you from " chui" [ leopard ] . If you are a birder , it will be a busy time as there are plenty around . There is a bird feeder and bath next to the dining area if you feel too lazy to scout the camp grounds . We saw a Pale Chanting Goshawk right next to our tent. All in all a truly magical place to stay in a magic kingdom ."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of July 2009

Sleeping in a tent in the bush was quite pleasant really...

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"I have to agree with the reviews below. The location is fantastic as is the view. The tent was much better than the room at the superior lodge we stayed in at Tsavo West (Kilaguni).

We were on a three day safari, organised by JT safaris (amazing company!) and they recommended we stay here. All we had to pay for was our drinks. The food was a bit hit and miss (all from set menus): lunch was actually lovely, however dinner was not good at all. My partner eats anything and even he wasn't terribly impressed. Breakfast was ok though.

Air con was non existent but it wasn't a problem as the tent had lots of "windows" (mosquito nets over the windows) and this allowed the wind to come into the room. It was lovely. There's also a stand alone fan, however the electricity stops at 11pm and does not come back on until 5am. It's also off for a time during the day, however it didn't bother us as we were on safari! The bed was large and very comfortable. No complaints from either of us here. I should also stress the tent was actually a lovely size and we were lucky enough to wake up and see Kilimanjaro right in front of us - so a great location.

The staff are very attentive, however it was rather quiet as it was low season when we visited and it's also rather new, however I get the feeling they would try just as hard if full of paying customers.

The tents have a bathroom with a big shower, however it wasn't that great and water was leaking from somewhere. I put this down to some teething problems and it wasn't such a big deal: we were only there for one night. There's also a big safe for you to use in your room, a desk and a fridge. The fridge is a little silly as the electricity goes off at night and times during the day.

They have the Masai tribe come in and do some dancing with lots of whooooop noises etc. I found this a little cringey as there was only about 7 of us in the restaurant and I also didn't appreciate this "show" while eating. It would be better if they did this after dinner but they probably know everyone buggers off to bed after dinner!! After they finish, they sit down and get their stuff out for you to buy. You do feel a little pressurised to buy, as they literally sit around the exit of the restaurant. I have to say I did just walk by as the stuff wasn't great at all.

We were leaving the table after dinner and we heard this singing. It turned out they had made a birthday cake for my partner and they were bringing it to us, while singing happy birthday. They then sang it in Kiswahili. I thought this was pretty cool. I kind of felt guilty that I didn't like their dinner. We did split the cake up and gave everyone a piece, including the whole Masai tribe, however I'm sure they would have rather I’d bought something.

Overall I would recommend this lodge as it is rather attractive and very clean. Staff are good, food is a bit hit and miss, however the location is perfect (it's about 5 mins drive from Amboseli park). I'm also sure given some time, their food will improve."

• Travel date: Thu 18th of June 2009

Beautiful location

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"I stayed here while on a two week safari. This camp has not been opened long, therefore, everything is really new and clean. I had a great view of Mt. Kilimanjaro from the back patio area. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Food was good. Like many tented camps, the electricity is turned off during the night but a small lamp is provided. It was also off part of the day. The beds are very comfortable. There is a refrigerator in the room, but with no electricity during a lot of the time, the refrigerator seems unnecessary. The showers are excellent and the bath towels are soft and fluffy."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of April 2009

comfortable camping

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"stayed a night at sentrim during a 3 day safari bought from a beach boy on diani beach. fairly new establishment so everything was in good condition. arrived for lunch which if not plentiful in variety was tasty just the same.tents were well equipped spacious with a super shower to was the days safari dust off.patio had table and chairs with a nice view of kilimanjaro. nice large bed but i found the duvet a bit too warm in the night and didn't want to leave my limbs exposed even though a tin of insect killer is supplied. all in all a very quiet, clean, comfortable and friendly place."

• Travel date: Fri 26th of December 2008