Senegambia Beach Hotel

Excellent Stay

Reviewed Tue 5th of May 2015

"The hotel as a whole was everything i could have asked for and more. The staff are the friendliest i have come across in my travels. Pools and tennis was used regularly and the evening entertainment was pleasant.
We ate most times in Scala best in Koli,amazing food and friendly staff.
We had a very comprehensive tour with Aziz as our guide and enjoyed every minute.
We have made friends for life from one visit to Gambia and have already booked our return trip.
I hope this review helps."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of May 2015

Praise for Senagambia Hotel

Reviewed Tue 18th of January 2011

"I was at the senagambia hotel over xmas and was very satisfied with the level of comfort, service and food.
i will be going back for easter for 2 weeks and freinds of mine are there in feb 2011, on my recomendation.
everyone is freindly, want to help, and good to be with the top pool is the best and lamin is the best pool man in the gambia"

• Travel date: Tue 18th of January 2011

The best hotel in the Gambia

Reviewed Wed 27th of May 2009

"I have been here every year for the past 7 years, the hotel and atmosphere are welcoming. All the excursions on offer you must do as they show you the beautiful parts of the gambia and their culture. i recommend the paradise beach excursion and they are all worth their money. The food is delicious outside the hotel, alot of people are afraid of leaving the hotel as the locals are very friendly but they mean no harm.

My only dissapointment is that they are looking to turn it into an all inclusive and this will ruin the reasons of going to the Gambia."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of May 2009

Recommended

Reviewed Thu 15th of January 2009

"We originally booked to go to Sarges Hotel (and after one night - with bed bugs and filthy torn sheets we upped sticks (at our cost) to the Senegambia. The hotel is amazing with beautiful grounds and plenty for my kids to do. Tennis, Volleyball, Football, Darts, Tabletennis even a mini golf set up. We had a great time there and the staff were amazing and very friendly and helpful. It was awesome to see the vultures and monkeys and monitor lizards wandering around the garden and the huge range of beautiful colourful birds (even their starling is gorgeous!). We were lucky enough to have a visit from the monkeys every day to our balcony (complete with babies - aahh). The breakfast range was vast and was as good as you will get in the Gambia (everything is gorgeous except they always burn the bacon). If you take the evening meal - 3 courses buffet style then there is always a great range for everyone even the fussy eaters and costs around £10 so well worth it. The hotel is a series of apartment buildings all set inside the tropical garden of the hotel and it has 2 pools. one for residents only - so doesnt get too busy and another right by the sea that caters for outside customers as well. They both are great with lovely staff although service is slow "They call it GMT Gambian maybe time" but as we were never in a rush it didnt matter. The roooms were basic but kept spotlessly clean and of a reasonable size. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to any one."

• Travel date: Thu 15th of January 2009

We had a lovely time in Gambia. The hot...

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2007

"We had a lovely time in Gambia. The hotel is nice and the staff are very friendly but the rooms could do with an upgrade but they are clean and the boy cleaners very good.

The pools and beach are very nice lots of loungers. The snacks at the beach bar are good but the evening meals are not worth it. If I went again I would eat out - better food and value.

It is a place worth a visit very nice climate and very friendly people, especially our rep form Thomas Cook.

• Travel date: Fri 7th of December 2007

We stay at the Senegambia Beach Hotel in...

Reviewed Sat 21st of July 2007

"We stay at the Senegambia Beach Hotel in the Gambia at least twice a year. We love the friendly people, the climate and the birds and animals.

The Sene, as it is known to locals, is a 3/4 star hotel with very friendly staff. Most of the cleaners are young boys who do a very good job. They love to hear about life back in England and our weather. The waiters are extremely competent, especially Fakeba (or Faks as he is known). He is in charge of the dining room in the evening.

The reception staff always welcome us back, they call us Gambians as we go there so often. Osman and Baba are the managers there. English is widely spoken. It is their second language so there is never a language problem.

We used to use the Dolphin Bar/Restaurant run by an English lady, but she has left now and the bar has been taken over by the Kairaba Hotel. There are many bars in the "strip", Ali Baba's, Uncle Sam's, St George's Bar. They all offer good food at cheap prices, typically less than £5 for a meal. Drinks are also cheap outside of the hotels.

My husband is a fisherman. He loves to go out on the boats, either off the beach or from Denton Bridge, although he says the fishing is not as good or as plentiful as it was a few years ago.

It helps to get a Gambian friend (not too difficult as they all want to be your friend). We have a taxi driver called Denba, he's lovely. We never get any hassle because they all know we are Denba's friend.

Don't take travellers cheques, you won't get a very good rate. Bring cash from the UK and change it in one of the many exchange bureaux. Make sure you count cash in front of the money changer, they prefer you to do this.
The grounds of the Senegambia Hotel are brilliant. Monkeys roam, Monitor Lizards amble through the grass and by the swimming pool, and every day they feed the birds, vultures, egrets and many more.

There is loads to see and do.

• Travel date: Sat 21st of July 2007

Really enjoyed our holiday and Christmas...

Reviewed Mon 18th of June 2007

"Really enjoyed our holiday and Christmas. every one very friendly would love to go back, food you couldn't fault and your right on beach. Rooms are very clean.

Anyone thinking of booking, go for it you won't be disappointed. Around the gate are men with taxis to take you to sight seeing points we went and were pleased.

Don't walk around in gold as they are very poor and one man had his pulled off. You have security on beach so you don’t get bothered by the locals.

• Travel date: Mon 18th of June 2007

Not knowing what to expect in this count...

Reviewed Tue 6th of February 2007

"Not knowing what to expect in this country I couldn't be more pleased with the hotel, it's of a very high standard.

There are plenty of bars dotted across the grounds, very spacious, right on the beach and main high street.

Don’t go out on the beach at night - you will be swamped with people trying to get you to their bars and trying to sell you drugs!

The staff are very friendly, rooms cleaned daily. Food is brilliant a large selection to suit all tastes."

• Travel date: Tue 6th of February 2007

best holiday ever

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"I visited this hotel recently with a friend and we thought it was the most amazing experience ever. The staff were briliant and catered for our every need. Everyone were so friendly. They do attended to be fascinated with young blondes and i happen to be one. Before i went alot of family said they would hassle me and said that i wouldnt enjoy the holiday because of that but a simple no thank you works on all the local bumpsters!! I found the hotel facilities basic but clean and all you needed. The animation team performed regularly in the evenings and i have stayed in contact with one of the younger men because he was so friendly. Anyone with children should find this holiday suitable but maybe not older people who aren't so active."

• Travel date: Tue 21st of March 2006

The Gambia Dream

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"Visiting Gambia must have been a dream to me four years ago as it has certainly changed drastically.My stay was 10 nights at The Senegambia Hotel but I'd had enough after 1 week.The weather was great, the hotel was fine but the prices of everything(food,alcohol,souvinirs)was extortionate!The African Queen was the best bar/restaurant - stay away from Ali Baba's menu if you don't want Banjul Belly!I didn't mind the bumsters on the street - you get used to them,it's the hassel from the hotel workers that annoyed me.All in all, a "good" holiday but certainly not restful or stressfree for me or my husband. P.S. having to pay a pound a day each for our sunbeds around the pool should have been stated in the brochure."

• Travel date: Tue 14th of March 2006

Nice weather

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"My wife and I stayed at the Senegambia hotel for my birthday.
The overall holiday experience was amazing with the culture and way of life there.
Met some fantastic gambians and keep in contact with one.
The hotel I thought as a whole was good. The food, the catering team inside and out were great.
One complaint would be that of the "Animation/Poolside team"...
Instead of allowing us to relax our troubles away, they would pester women, married single or otherwise and inform them how "different" they are to white men.. I found this very disturbing and they would not take no for an answer eventually pestering the ladies at the rooms!!
The Senegambia strip is great though. Fantastic restaurants and bars especially Paparazzi's.
My experience is, it is better to know the gambians than to ignore them. Watch out for extra strong Julbrew though. Thats some evil stuff.."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of January 2006

Don't knock the Senegambia Hotel

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"I stayed at the Senegambia Hotel over Christmas and the New Year. I found the staff very helpful. The chambermaid needed to be reminded about loo rolls. The hotel is in need of a revamp but this did not cause any problems. We did not have any hassel with bumsters on the beach, just a polite no thanks then they went away. Outside the hotel there are a few scams saying that they are waiters at your hotel but you can usually catch them out. Otherwise you are only usually asked if you want a taxi or to come into a bar, but no-one if forceful in their approach. The food in the hotel was very good and we upgraded to a room with air conditioning, fridge, tv can cooker (not that we ever tried cooking), but the fridge was a godsend. My only complaint is about the entertainment which sent me to sleep.

I would certainly go back to the Senegambia Hotel in the future. No way would I stay at the Kariba as others have said it is a jumped up overpriced hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 9th of January 2006

Hotels near Senegambia Beach Hotel

Top traveller tips for Senegambia Beach Hotel

• Gill Edwards by Gill Edwards

"Millies nightclub and food was great too, Paradise (sanyan) Beach - it is paradise! 4 tours in 1, "

• sexychicisere by sexychicisere

"my favourite reaurants would be chossan and african queen and they are next door to each other. "

Senegambia Beach Hotel is also called