About Holiday Beach Club Hotel

• paid wifi

Fantastic little hotel

Reviewed Fri 24th of April 2009

"I couldnt have asked for a better holiday!!! Everything here was amazing. We arrived and we're greeted with music and very helpful staff. The food was lovely, the people we're lovely and everything was so laid back. Our room was basic, but that is what we asked for, it was on the first floor and felt like you were in a jungle over looking some amazing views. We became good friends with some of the locals, they looked after us very well and showed us all the sites that you would never get on these planned coach trips. We have kept in touch for the past 2 years and are looking to go back this December. Carn't wait. Totally recommend this hotel for a real experience, loved it!!!"

• Travel date: Fri 24th of April 2009

The Holiday Beach Hotel

Reviewed Sat 28th of February 2009

"As most people have probably written about their whole holiday I will just tell you about the hotel itself. It is just off the main Sennegambia strip about 100 yards just passed the Sarges (formerly Tafbel) and across from the GTS.
Entry is through 2 green iron gates with security guards. A short drive down a shelled gravel drive brings you to the start of the apartments which are enclosed within a wall for privacy and security and have a security guard. Our apartment was A1 which was at the end of 8 joined apartments at the bottom and 8 above us. It was very quiet and we were particularly envied because we were the only ones that had the sunshine til the very end!
The rooms are well maintained by Adama and very clean. 2 large single beds with brand new mattresses. Towels changed every day and bed linen every other day. There was a dresser and a built in wardrobe with loads of space. Bathroom was very clean with toilet wash hand basin and shower (although when using the shower it did soak the whole bathroom due to the design of the curtain rail. Nice little touches of beside wall lamps and 2 electrical sockets (3pin plugs). Entrance to the apartment was on a little terrace with a table and 2 chairs then through large sliding doors. In the evenings you have your own discovery programme watching the monkeys play and in our case jump on our almost completed jigsaw!

All staff are very friendly and extremely helpful....not everyone looks for something in the Gambia contary to belief. The gardeners work hard and the little girl round the back that does the washing is rarely seen so it's worth walking that way to tip her as she's often forgotten. We needed a lightbulb replace on the second day and it was done within a half hour. "Smiler" as I called the maintenance man actually plastered a bit of the wall round the back so we could engrave our names on it!! Looks like a tomb now!
The beautiful hotel grounds are meticulously kept and are made up of well established palm trees, shrubs, bushes and flowers.....very beautiful. There are little paths leading to each apartment block.
From our apartment which was at the very back, it was a short stroll to the hotel shops, reception, bar, dining room and very large swimming pool.
The back exit of this hotel is straight onto the beach so no having to pass through other hotels or walking via the road.
I have given this hotel a 9 only because of the breakfast which people do complain about. The tea and coffee are pre-made and are not hot enough and not to everyones taste. They would be better putting out just boiling water and letting you add your own tea/coffee but I expect this is down to expense. But if you ask for a cup of boiling water with a teabag it will be given. Not much on offer, juice, bread, cheese, spam, fruit, yukky cereal, butter/jam. You can purchase a hot breakfast at stupid prices.
On the whole this hotel well exceeded my expectations. This is my 4th trip to The Gambia and my friend Jeanne's 40th. She celebrated her 79th birthday there! She has stayed in almost every hotel in Kololi and Sennegambia and this one bar the Kairaba was the most pleasent yet. It is totally safe, clean and helped ease the stresses of the dreaded Credit Crunch! "

• Travel date: Sat 28th of February 2009

dont go to this one

Reviewed Tue 6th of January 2009

"We managed to find a cheap holiday to the gambia in october and as we were going to egypt in december we thought why not...it wasnt long b4 we found out it was so cheap as it was 20mins from arriving to our room we had our passports and money stolen, ok i will add it only took 3 days for us to get them returned but the manager of the beach club just wasnt bothered, the rooms were ok, the food wasnt, and if u leave ur sliding door open 2'' as we did at night as it was so hot dont be to shocked to wake up with a blk secrurity gaurd trying to get into bed with you..lucky for me my husband who was in the bed next to me and is a light sleeper, poor security gaurd was very poorly for sometime i heard..lol"

• Travel date: Tue 6th of January 2009

On 10th January, wee flew from Gatwick t...

Reviewed Fri 8th of February 2008

"On 10th January, wee flew from Gatwick to Banjul, The Gambia.
After a six hour flight we were in Gambia International Airport.
A tall gentleman greeted us at the plane exit steps, he was to assist me through the airport. His assistance was very much appreciated, as the airport was absolute chaos, with holiday makers clambering for their luggage.

We made our way to the coach that was taking us to our apartment/hotel, Holiday Beach in Kololi. Our two bedroomed, ground floor, apartment was a very short walk to the beach and just in front of the swimming pool. (day time temperatures 28-32 degrees- HOT!!!).

The Hotel is at a Drive made of Oyster Shell-which is very duty (the drive is dimly lit, at night).
there are steps into the complex, but with (steep) ramps. the paths are concrete, with a evenish surface.
there are small steps into the rooms. a small terrace, through patio doors, (317) had two double beds, dressing table, wardrobe, two single 13 amp plugs (in corner of room) Power cuts are the norm (you are advised NOT to use, high demand appliances) showeroom with toilet and basin (all floor tiles can be slippery when damp). no view to the rear, front view of the pool, which is cleaned daily, (has a ledge all around the edge) entered via a ladder. Pool bar, resturant (with a ramp over the step).
short path (and step) to the Beach bar, steps down to beach (the "Bumsters" will hassle you, but a polite NO THANK YOU, will help,as will the fruit sellers (the juice and fruit salad is wonderful).
During my stay I visited many tourist places as well as local people and a school. Go with guide, for a good experience (but beware who you choose, as there are some rogues out there!!).

I am an active wheelchair user and expecteted to a minimum of walking, but I found it better to leave my wheelchiar, in the hotel and use my walking stick. The roads are sand (and very rough) traffic is chaos.There are no provisions for disabled visitors, but plenty of willing help is forthcoming.
Toilets are Not availble, only in cafes or resturants (make sure you have your own toilet tissue. But saying all this it is WELL worth the extra effort to visit The Gambia.

I would like to express our gratitude and THANKS to Lamin Fatty – Ground Operator - Gambia International Airport, for his excellent service and attention in making our holiday, a very special time with great memories.
It was very emotional to leave such friendly people, behind.

We will be returning VERY soon !!. contact me for more info.,

Email me for more info.
more photos at www.llanboidy.com (Image Gallery) and http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanroygbiv/

• Travel date: Fri 8th of February 2008

Never Disappointed!!!!!!

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"I have said it before and I will say it again, this hotel is fantastic, the people are wonderful, and the position is perfect!

My husband and I spent 2 weeks at the Holiday Beach Club at the end of January this year this was our 4th visit to the Gambia and our 3rd time at this hotel. Yes the hotel is basic, but it is clean and the beds, although a bit on the old side are amazingly comfortable and huge!

On this trip we had arranged through our friend and bird guide to do a four day trip up river staying at the Bird Safari Camp. We notified TJ on reception and our cleaner, and asked them to keep an eye on our belongings. I had no worries anyway, but all this was only confirmed on our return, our room was spotless and our cleaner bless her had taken a pile of our dirty washing and washed and ironed it all - you show me a hotel where you get that treatment without paying through the nose! I find it very hard to find any fault with this lovely, quiet little hotel, in fact I can't.
The staff are wonderful and always have time for a chat and are never rude!

We have just booked for next January when we will be taking our whole family - In some respects I don't want to recommend this hotel, because it's appeal is the fact that it is quiet and I would hate anything to spoil that, however it is a great hotel and it deserves the praise!!"

• Travel date: Sun 6th of August 2006

Excellent

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"Stayed in this hotel in May 2006 for one week, could have stayed there forever. The hotel itself was spotless, maids came in every day. We asked for a double bed with a balcony and was given this. Our room was also very spacious. We booked half board but admit we didnt always make breakfast but when we did it was enough to keep us going for the day. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and it was excellent value for money too."

• Travel date: Sun 11th of June 2006

What a wonderful experience

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"We stayed at the Kololi Beach Club and yes it was basis and i had my own apprehensions and worries from reading reviews on this site, but found it to be great with very friendly people, and are always up for a chat! Everyday there were clean towels and sheets and the room was always swept out and kept tidy and clean. The gardens were beatiful and kept really well and i would recommend a room nearest to the pool, a single storey room as they are bigger with 2 queen beds in them. We fed the monkeys each afternoon between 5 & 7, dont be scared of them - they are only after a few peanuts and we had no problems with them!

The breakfast is basis, (cheese, ham, bread, cereal, tea & coffee) but when you consider where you are and what some of the locals are waking up too each monring, then you cant help feel fortunate.

The bbques are good and the people are great, maybe even a crab races tickles your fancy!!"

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of April 2006

Great place, would deffinatly retun

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"On arrival I was a bit disapointed with the rooms, however after talking to some people in the pool bar who were onto their 3rd visit here, I learned to have a bit of a sense of humour about the decor, the rooms were very clean, linen & towels changed every day & hot water everytime we had a shower. The main thing about this hotel is the staff, always smiling & always got time for a chat. The gardens are very large & well looked after, we were in the older block B & every night about 7pm the monkeys all came from the monkey park next door to sit on your terrace & wait for some nuts, they are great fun & v cheeky. Breakfast was basic but adequate, snacks from the pool bar are good if you dont want to go out for lunch. This hotel is in a great position in resort, right at the end of the strip so you are in easy reach of all the restaurants, Chinese/Thai/Indian/Italian but you are not as pestered as other more central hotels, the bar opposite is GTS, that stands for Gambian Tourist Support & is run as a non profit making organisation to put all profits from the bar back into the local community & encourage employment & education so spending money there is a great excuse for a drink & listening to some live regge. All in all a great place to spend a winter week."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of March 2006

Anniversary trip well worth it.

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"This is one holiday we will be going back to it was worth every penny. Anyone going take some taped music for the pool bar they need some. the rooms were clean the staff excc what more can i say."

• Travel date: Thu 9th of March 2006

a great place to relax

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"holiday beach hotel is basic but has everything you need really ive been to this hotel 3 times and I have booked to go again the begining of april this year I cant wait
I have been to the Gambia 7 times now and im always sad to go home It is a bit of a shock the first time you go because of the differance in their culture but once you get used to it its a very relaxing way of life
I think its one of those places you either love it or hate it hope this is usefull to someone
[email protected]"

• Travel date: Wed 1st of March 2006

Another Wonderful Holiday

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"We recently made our 3rd visit to the hotel and again was really pleased with our stay. the staff are excellent and very helpful. meals in the hotel are basic, but good. eating out in the resort is great as there are a large variety of cuisines to try. the beach is amazing and the people are the friendlist and all want to know you, they never forget your name. don't feel intimated by them. if you say you are not interested they do leave you alone. we will be looking to go back next January"

• Travel date: Tue 28th of February 2006

can't wait to return nov 2006

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"myself, my husband and daughter stayed at the holiday beach club for christmas and new year 2005, having been to the gambia three times previously, and staying at two other hotels i can honestly say we had the most enjoyable holiday there. the staff were friendly, the rooms were basic but cleaned every day, breakfast was minimal but that did not bother us as we ate out anyway. i am really looking forward to returning in november. jacquie bloxwich."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of February 2006

Hotels near Holiday Beach Club Hotel

Top traveller tips for Holiday Beach Club Hotel

• Anne Doc by Anne Doc

"Uncle Nuas at the back of the taxi port. But I "

• Louchi by Louchi

"One of the best places to eat is Mandelas, brilliant Chef "

Holiday Beach Club Hotel is also called