Sierra Sharm El Sheikh

SOHO Square, Sharm El Sheikh Egypt

Good

A week or 10 Days would be enough.

"HOTEL - was excellent, lobby was very nice. Paid approx £80 to upgrade the room to a pool view. The room was fully air-conditioned, patio doors leading to the pool and plenty big enough for 2 adults and a child. There was building work going on but you do not notice it at all.

Staff are friendly, got the impression the closer your lounger was to the swim up bar the better and more regular waiter service you got.

ENTERTAINMENT - was abismal, Loud and Repetetive Dance Music played round the pool and when the they did the water aerobics they turned it up so loud you couldn't hear the person on the next lounger - They turned it down a bit, after being asked by several people. Evening entertainment is almost non existent, Rusian Women singing Kareoke and that's your lot. There was entertainment at the sister hotel the Savoy, although you have to pay for your drinks.

FOOD - Decent selection of buffet food and not bad quality - but as with any all inclusive it does become a bit samey & repetetive night after night.

BEACH - Quite a distance would take 10-15 minutes to walk and in that sort of heat you just won't do it. There is a shuttle bus every half hour so it's not to much of a drag. No good for Kids, the sand is quite gritty and there's no access to the sea from the beach because of Coral. Access to the Sea is off a small jetty and you get to see some excellent fish just looking off the edge or snorkelling near by.

WEEKENDS - Seemed to get busier with locals coming to stay, it was almost as if the Egytian equivalent to The Sun did weekend breaks there.

ILLNESS - Almost everyone we spoke to suffered. Immodium doesn't touch it but the stuff from the local pharmacy seemed to do the trick (cost about £3) - I would recommend you get some in on your first day and take them at the first sign of trouble.

In summary, it was very nice but a week or 10 days would have been plenty."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of June 2006

Loved it.......

"This was our tenth visit to Sharm el Sheik after staying at various Naama bay hotels we have to say this was one of the best, so much so that we are back for two weeks in July. The staff were friendly and polite the food yes a little repetitive after two weeks but never the less it was as good as any rstaurant in the town and believe me I think we have tried them all... the best being The Danaan in Naama Bay. The quad biking which we booked around the pool was the best £10 spent during our stay needless to say my backside was. as for the music around the pool yes it was repetitive but thats why Mp3 players were invented and after a while you forget its there. At the end of the day if you look hard enough everyone can find something to complain about whichever country or hotel you are visiting but if it is English home comforts you want look closer to home...they will most certainly have something you can complain about as well."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of June 2006

The Sierra is a place to relax

Good

"I have just got back from a two week holiday to the Sierra Resort hotel. On arrival to the Sierra hotel I was overally happy. The hotel itself is fabulous, the rooms are more than adequate for what is paid. The lobby and reception is stunning and comfortable.

While the food seems nice on the first few days it gets highly repetitive and often is not very warm, the special deserts are great though!!! We ended up eating out in Naama bay alot instead. There is a wide selection of drinks on offer and the cocktails are great.

Everyone I spoke to had bad stomach problems while staying there but I am not sure this is any fault of the hotels.

The main downfall is the complete lack of entertainment at night. With the same CD being played continuously around the pool during the day there is a definite need for some entertainment. While a russian singer attempts to sing karaoke in the lobby bar there is often nothing else going on. During the two weeks we had one belly dancer for 10 minutes and some depressing funeral type music another night.

We decided to venture to the sister hotel, The Savoy, where we had a wonderful, cheap meal. We then got turned away from their nightclub because the boys were wearing sandals and shorts. There is a dress code for this club which is stated anywhere and the animation team do not advise you of this.

The weather was faultless, not a cloud in the sky for two weeks.

Would I come back? Yes, in five or so years when things are a bit more developed and organised."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of June 2006

We found Nemo!!

Good

"My husband and I booked a last minute holiday to the Sierra Resort in Sharm. We went for a fortnight full board and we didnt even pay £900 for it!!! We were off to a good start!

On arriving, do not fall foul of paying for the visa. You do not need it if you are staying in the Sinai region. The airport does not allow english reps inside but dont follow the crowd and pay for a visa. It can be a little daunting but if you know before you go you will not be ripped off.

The Sierra hotel had building work at the front but upon arriving in the foyer it was amazing!! We arrived during the night but a light meal was left in our room and it was lovely.

The rooms are not luxurious by any means, fairly basic but the TV was great and beds, linen etc fine although i felt that the rooms could have been slightly cleaner.

The staff at the hotel will do anything to help you and if there are any problems they are happy to help. Dont expect things done quickly they do get around to it.......eventually.

The food in the restaurant was of a very high standard. After a week though it seemed to go full circle. I think we worked our way through the entire menu and then started again. I must admit that i was looking forward to coming home to try something different but the standard was truly excelllent. Also , we are not drinkers so for us the local wine and beer were fine as were some of the cocktails!!

while we were there there was absolutely no entertainment at all laid on so it could be very boring if you are looking to party. There is a free bus to Naama Bay and plenty to do there if you wish. Naama Bay was like Blackpool and we didnt like it at all and did not feel very safe walking about. That may have just been us though as no one else seemed phased.

Security in and out of Sierra was excellent, your bags etc are checked all the time. You can also make use of the facilities at the Savoy across the road. This was an amazing hotel, fit for royalty!! my husband used the gym facilities (to try and negate his indulgence at mealtimes) and was the only one surprise surprise!!

the highlight is going into the Red Sea to snorkel. It was truly like a scene from Finding Nemo!! We loved it and went down to the beach every other day. Next time i would take a snorkel with me as some of the ones on sale werent very good and leaked! Its not a beach to swim in because of the coral but go out on the walkways and the sea is fantastic! The salt makes you very buoyant which is handy after all that grub.

Would we go again? Absolutely!!! Its our second holiday in Egypt and if you cant afford the luxuries of the Caribbean this is for you. Its HOT, there is plenty to eat and drink, the locals are friendly, you can barter away and if like us you just want to relax then take a few books, watch TV in your room and eat and drink to your hearts content. We left the resort twice in two weeks!!

For us, its the best holiday we have ever had and we plan to return."

• Travel date: Fri 16th of June 2006

Had a fantastic time!

"My boyfriend and I went for a week and loved it! We both said we want to go back to Egypt to do our diving and we will definitely stay at the Sierra.

The pools are lovely, the rooms even though are pretty average have everything you need and are cleaned every day. The food I agree with the other reviews can be a bit repetitive however

my boyfriend has visited AI resorts before and said it was the same. To say we don't eat meat we always had plenty to eat every meal, every day! The staff are very friendly and always smiling.

We are a young, very lively couple and even though the entertainment in the hotel isn't up to much it is a short trip in the bus to Naama Bay where we found plenty clubs and bars.

The only minor things that bothered us were, the music round the pool..... it's the same cd every day! Someone really needs to tell the animation team to get a wider selection. The local spirits all taste the same and nothing like what they should but the wine and beer are lovely so you don't need them. Also, we visited the pyramids in Cairo and found the prices our rep in the hotel quoted were about 2 - 3 x the prices you would pay for the exact trip same if you booked it in an excursions office in Naama Bay.

I'd recommend this place to anyone."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of June 2006

Disapointing....4.5* seems a long way off 5*

"The food in the hotel gave us upset tummies for the whole week, the price of non inclusive drinks was v high whilst all inclusive drinks were fairly poor.

Shop around for excursions as the hotels own are expensive...dive/snorkel trips and quad biking in the desert are a must

The hotel was full of mosquitoes and flies giving us the impression it was not very clean!
The room was average and in need of some repairs

There is not a lot to do in the hotel or in Sharks bay but there are shuttle buses to and from Nama Bay from the hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 11th of June 2006

A fantastic hotel!

"I travelled with my partner and 3 children and found the hotel to be excellent. It was very clean and the staff were always helpful and friendly. The food was fantastic and kept me and my family going back for more! The beach is nice at the sister hotel the Savoy which there is a free bus from the Sierra every half hour or a pleasant 10 minute walk. There is also a supermarket a 5 minute walk away,stocks Pringles and most other bits and bobs! Me and my partner were bitten at night especially at the bottoms of our legs, despite using various sprays! The children weren't as much, they had a plug in insect vapour thing in their room maybe this is why, worth bringing 2 next time! The only down side of the holiday was my 2 youngest boys had "henna" tattoos by the man at the poolside.2 weeks after the tattoo was done my 6 year old has developed a red raised itchy blistery type rash to the exact outline of where the tattoo was.My 10 year had one on his back and had a slighty less serious reaction. We have been told these may scar, especially my 6 year olds. I asked the man if it was safe before he did the tattoo and he replied "yes". On returning we have found out that sometimes people use a toxic chemical called "PPD" which when mixed with henna makes it black and last longer. It's basically a dye. We saw lots of children having tattoos done and adults too and wonder if anyone else has had a reaction like this one, i would really like to hear from you."

• Travel date: Sun 11th of June 2006

say hi to louis for us

"We came home fron the sierra resort at the end of may . Well what can i say i have 4 children 14, 12, 10 and 4 and they all had a Great time. We found the Staff Fantastic they cant do enough for you (as our rep said if you want something ask) and they will do their best to get it for you. Its a place to Chill Out and thats what i needed as a busy mum. The Pools are constantly being cleaned the Pool Bar Staff were Great with my kids also lifegaurds at the Pool, that also makes you relax more. If you want a busy Holiday this is not the place. But if you want to sit relax have a swim drink and laze around its Great. The Food we found was good depends what your after No pie n chips or bacon sarnies, and we were all willing to give the dishes a try, if you dont like it try something else, dont moan about it. There is so many good things i can say about the Sierra but it would take to long. If you go say a big HI to LOUIS for us he is at the pool bar during the day and lobby bar at night. They are Great People who work very hard to make your Holiday we will be going back next year without a doubt."

• Travel date: Thu 8th of June 2006

If you go say hello to the staff as they are brilliant

"I go on holiday 4 times a year and i would happily go here every time as it is one of the best i have had the staff are so friendly and so hotel is clean foods not bad great pool( and pool bar ) and the local beer is stella !!!!!

1 bad side was the rep who for some reason thought he was on a 18-30s holiday and kept swearing in frount of my little boy

but again the hotel the staff are excellent so tip the m well as they are worth it"

• Travel date: Mon 5th of June 2006

A Very Good Weeks Holiday

Good

"Just come back from the Sierra Resort Hotel In Sharm el Sheik and was very impressed. However, when going, make sure to take your own water bottles as the hotel will charge for these but will refill them for free. We went to Taba Heights at Christmas and bottled water was readily available.

There's not much entertainment and one night we went to their sister hotel, the Savoy, where we want to visit for a holiday. However, we were charged for drinks even though it was a sister hotel. It cost us £19.00 for six drinks.

The food was disappointing - not much variety and not very appertising.

The other problem was the music round the pool - much too loud and very repetitive. However, the staff are very friendly and it was good value for money."

• Travel date: Thu 1st of June 2006

really good holiday,would recommend it to anyone

"The Hotel was lovely and clean and tidy.all of the staff were extremely polite and courteous and coudn't do enough for you,the food at the hotel was average,but you have the option to dine out in Soho square as part of your all inclusive. I must mention Joseph and Elia who were working at the Spar pool they really helped us enjoy our holiday.I would also like to mention Mary and Mona who were on duty at the restaurant."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of May 2013

Holiday at sierra

"This is a very good hotel this is our 3 rd visit in june as last year we were in the old block me and my husband as this is our 3rd time at this hotel i was wondering if it would be posible to ask for a different room as the last room was a bit old .I was wondering if you could put us in room 3401 to 3412 link 3B pool view as this would make our holiday compliet we are traveling to this hotel in june .Thankyou "

• Travel date: Mon 27th of May 2013

Hotels near Sierra Sharm El Sheikh

Stayed at Sierra Sharm El Sheikh? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Sierra Sharm El Sheikh

• y5c6 by y5c6

"Very hot, beautiful scenery, tip where you feel it is appropriate but do not feel like you have to. "

• y5c6 by y5c6

"Hard Rock Cafe and the Seascope Submarine trip "

• barker1 by barker1

"Cairo is very poor city, but beautiful "

• egypt1 by egypt1

"Sharm is a lovely place, lots of sun, lovely beaches and amazing hotels!! "

• egypt1 by egypt1

"Then Zen reataurant in Soho sqaure, sharks bay was gorgeous "

• megan1 by megan1

"I enjoyed Sharm El Sheikh but there is not much to do there - don't know if i would go again "

• louiseoh by louiseoh

"fav bit old vic pub and pagero club in sharks bay which are free wit alinclusive "

• kimko8686 by kimko8686

"Soho square is down from hotel,shops,bars,icerink,bowling,supermarkets,stage for live music "

• kimko8686 by kimko8686

"Go to Kairo to pyramids and museum, snorkell in redsea and go to arabian nights! "

• micky1 by micky1

"its a lively safe place with great hotels and nice people,and year round sun. "

• micky1 by micky1

"sand buggies in the sinai,snorkeling trip,parasailing "

• Lewis and Bev by Lewis and Bev

"Must do the quad biking in the desert. "

• debbie scarpato by debbie scarpato

"GOOD LOCATION FOR THE BEACH AND AIRPORT NOT FAR FROM NAMMA BAY "

• debbie scarpato by debbie scarpato

"THE SNORKLING AT RAZ MOHAMMED PARK "

• sarahb1976 by sarahb1976

"Zen and Steak house and the trial dive has inspired me!! "

• moores4 by moores4

"Its hot so make sure you have high factor sun tan lotion "

• moores4 by moores4

"The Red Sea Cruise was brilliant - we ate only at hotel and food was always well cooked. "

• designerwrist by designerwrist

"Old Market well worth a walk around "

• ulsterbrummie by ulsterbrummie

"lovely hotel and amazing staff "

• Lou by Lou