Sheraton Sharm Hotel, Resort, Villas & Spa

second visit this July 2014

Reviewed Tue 14th of January 2014

"Please ignore the rubbish written about this hotel.........!
This is one of the best Hotels in Sharm.
We have been several times, very, very helpful staff, good food, great service, accommodation of a very high standard, what more do you want.
If you want or need chicken & chips go somewhere else, sorry, this is EGYPT!!
Mr Wilson"

• Travel date: Tue 14th of January 2014

Do not book with Longwood Holidays

Reviewed Tue 19th of April 2011

"Longwood's rating system in its UK brochures does not reflect UK standards. Visited the above hotel and was not impressed as not 5* & all inclusive food & drink was awful. Wrote to Longwood on our return and have to say their responses were arrogant and they did not want to hear the feedback. After 3 letters they agreed to gove me £150. My advice is keep writing to them as they will gie you some money. My advice to them is this strategy is very short sighted as even though they gave me some money back by then all the damage to their reputation was done.....I will never holiday with them again on principal"

• Travel date: Tue 19th of April 2011

Sheraton Shambles

Reviewed Fri 4th of March 2011

"Probably the worst service and resort in Sharm
Arrived on the 20th Feb to the worst management of a hotel I have been to in 10 visit's to Egypt, The hotel was virtually closed with only the lobby bar and beach bar open(Day time only). The shuttle bus was cancelled and even the Italian restaurant ran out of Pizza. The service at the lobby bar was atrocious and the bar manager rude and totally uninterested. The only staff that seemed interested were the restaurant and beach. All facilities including the main pool were closed and when we complained to both the hotel management and our tourist rep all we received was “it’s not our fault”
I realise that the country has problems but they should be at least trying to meet your expectations. I would recommend steering well clear of this hotel. The people and country have far more to offer than this shambles. STEER CLEAR.

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of March 2011

A really lovely place to stay

Reviewed Tue 30th of November 2010

"Returned on 25 November 2010 from a 10-night break here, staying in one of the villas (a small end-terrace bungalow).

The complex is fantastic, with numerous pools, restaurants etc. The staff were friendly and helpful, meals good.

The place is well landscaped with beautiful flowering shrubs and the villas are not close enough to the bars to interfere with the peace and quiet.

The hotel itself is stupendous and very tastefully decorated, with shops and medical assistance centre. On the complex there are other shops and 2 pharmacies.

We had a lovely relaxing time and only left the complex for outings 3 times. One outing involved visiting another hotel to embark on a boat trip. I was appalled by the proximity of the sun loungers to each other in row upon row on the beach. Sheraton Sharm gives plenty of personal space.

I definitely recommend Sheraton Sharm.

• Travel date: Mon 29th of November 2010

shearton has lowered its standards

Reviewed Mon 1st of November 2010

"This was our third visit to the sheraton in a span of about six years. The first two vists as a family of four and the most recent as a couple. It was dissapointing to find some of the little details which we liked about the hotel had gone. Breakfast for example, no longer was coffee/tea served to you by a wonderful polite and friendly waiter. Now it was help yourself. Although the buffet was more of less the same none of the bread/pastries were fresh, the choice of fresh fruit was very limited. The main and most annoying change was the 'activities' which took place everyday on the beach. From 10.00am every morning very loud music was played at one part of the beach by the Russian animation team and at another part by the Italian team. You were then disturbed by the team members nagging you to take part. We went there to 'chill out'. If you like 'holiday camp' atmoshpere then you will love it but if you want to relax go somewhere else. on a positive note the Italian restuarant 'porto fino' was excellent and the staff brilliant."

• Travel date: Sat 30th of October 2010

Reviewed Tue 10th of August 2010

"The hotel positions itself as a five-star hotel. I would hardly give this hotel even a half star.
Check in. The first thing that impressed me was the quality of the paper on which restaurants schedule was printed. The paper was crumbled with ink blots and had curved unreadable text. It seems that printer and paper has never been changed since hotel opening. Then we’ve been asked to sign paper that we oblige not to purchase food, not to bring food to the hotel and not to eat food. In case hotel management will find food in our room the food will be confiscated (and probably eaten by management later). This paper is nothing but to laugh. I have never seen anything similar.
The room that the hotel provided was with separate beds despite of the fact that we asked for a king-size bad. Hotel management told us that they can’t provide us room with king-size bad because all king-size bed rooms are currently occupied. However two rooms nearby with king-size bad were not occupied. Later these rooms were occupied by people who asked for separate beds. It seems that all hotel stuff don’t want to help you. It seems that they are even happy to make you disappointed. For any services they want to get extra money from you.
The room was dirty with crumpled sheets. Cartoons were dirty and with wholes. On the table we found dusty booklets of spa salon. There was no iron in the room. No tea cattle. No cups. On the second day my wife cleared furniture in the bathroom. Originally the furniture had white color. The idea is brilliant but not for Egypt. In the bathroom we found shampoos and body gels. However the producer of these goods was unknown. And that is not suppressing for Egypt. IF YOU DON’T WANT TO HAVE ANY TROUBLES WITH THE SKIN TAKE SHAMPOOS, BODY GEL AND SOAP (BETTER ANTIBACTERIAL) WITH YOU. There was no tap in the bath. At first we were suppressed, however when we saw the color of the water we understand why the tap was not provided. The water was rusty with strong smell. Our room had in-room safe. I put documents to the safe. In the morning I was not able to open the safe (in the evening I double checked the safe to make sure it is working). There was an error. Without leaving the room I called reception and asked them to send someone to open the safe. After the safe was opened I went to reception and asked them to provide me safe at reception. They asked me why I need safe at reception if I have in-room safe. I explained the situation and told that after this incident I don’t trust in-room safe. Near in-room safe you will find paper with something like “Safe for play”. Under this text in small font you will read that hotel is not responsible for any valuable things left in in-room safe. Also at one of hotel booklets I read that due to Egyptian laws hotel is not responsible for any losses in the rooms. Realizing this I put remaining valuable things like camera into suitcase and locked it. The key was always with me. The room has central air conditioner as well. I have never seen so old control panel. When switched on air condition is very noise. It is impossible to sleep.
Hotel stuff leaves plates with food in hotel corridor. Some time the plates are left for half a day. As a result big red ants live in corridors.
First breakfast surprised us greatly. Drinks: yesterday boiled tea and coffee, also something that they call juice (strange liquid made from water and aromatic powder). It was possible to eat only bread, boiled eggs and omelet. BE READY THAT THE QUALITY OF EGYPTIAN FOOD IS MEASURED BY THE FREQUENCY YOU USE TOILET AFTER EATING SOMETHING.
First visit of the sea leaves not the best impressions as well. The beach territory is big and there is also enough free seats. Beach beds are made of wood and polished. This polish leaves traces on closes. DON’T SEAT ON WOODEN PARTS OF THE BEACH BEDS. The entrance to the sea is from the pontoon or from the beach. The pontoon is quite small and always overcrowded with people. In order to get to the sea or get out of the sea you have to wait in queue. ONLY ONE LIFEGUARD IS HERE. This man was small and tired I could hardly imagine how he can safe someone. The only thing lifeguard did is asking newcomers to jump to the sea or to leave pontoon. Sea depths near pontoon is 15 meters approximately. If you afraid of the depths, you are with kids or don’t want to wait in the queue you can enter the sea from the beach. PLEASE PAY ATTENTION THE SEA IS FULL OF SHARP STONES AND CORALS. BUY SPECIAL SHOOS. The depths of the sea here is from 20 centimeters to 1 meter. Of course it is impossible to swim. Some people were spraying themselves with the salt water using buckets they brought from home. This could be good alternative to swimming.
Dinner and supper. As I wrote previously the quality of the food is measured here by the frequency you use the toilet after eating. Everything is very individual. Nevertheless I have not seen people who did not supper from stomach disorders. My wife was seriously ill twice. First time after eating ice cream, second time after trying sauce both times with high temperature. At home she never suffers from stomach disorders. I was mole “lucky” I had ordinary diarrhea. Basic meals are – fish, bread, chicken, spaghetti, rise. Different combinations of these meals are presented as oriental kitchen, Italian kitchen, French kitchen, etc. However the taste and the effect of these meals are always the same. The restaurant is overcrowded by people. Sometimes it is very difficult to find not occupied table. Don’t wait that waiter will assist you in finding table ask him for help. By the way waiter’s uniform is always dirty. I can’t say anything special terrible about waiters they work as they can. The other question is that there are not enough waiters. It is management mistake. The hygiene in the restaurant is the question that requires addition review. Here I want to say that I have never seen clean table. If the waiter drops the spoon he will put it to the table without clearing it. For us getting meal has become a torture. You have to eat something, but the consequences of getting meal are unpredictable.
Drinks. We had proffered all inclusive. This allows to drink local drinks and to eat at one restaurant “white cruiser”. Once we tried local red wine. The taste and the smell of this liquid was disgusting. We have never tried any other local drinks. It is possible to buy western drinks here, but stuff is clever enough to give you local drinks instead of western. Fraud is very popular here. Be careful. It is quite safety to drink cola, sprite or any other western non alcoholic drinks because it is difficult to fabricate them. But I would recommend using drinks without ice as you can’t be sure of the quality of the water used to produce the ice. Tap water is unsafely to drink and even to use for cleaning teeth. Baraka water is unsafely to drink as well you will realize this after tasting this water. At some forum I’ve seen recommendation to take water disinfection tablets. I thought it is a joke. Now I realize how seriously I was mistaken.
In general hotel stuff is very unfriendly. All the time they want to get additional money from you. They never smile. They never ask how you are. They never ask if you like the hotel. However one positive case I want to mention. When my wife felt herself terribly and nearly lost cosines near lobby the boy (ordinary cleaner) brought her towel with ice. None of management helped us. We are very thankful to this boy. Of course I gave him money. He deserved them.
There is no currency exchange in the hotel, but they have ATM. It is possible to withdraw money in local currency. There are some shops in the hotel. We did some purchases: alkaline batteries $10 for 4 batteries, cotton pellet - $5, chocolate from Switzerland - $5.
Never we had so disgusting vacation as in Egypt. There was absolutely nothing positive. Prior to visit to Egypt I did not take negative reviews seriously. But all negative facts about Sheraton Sharm from reviews I have seen are bitter truth I checked personally. Never in my life I will visit Egypt again. And I would not recommend anyone to visit it.
I was deeply shocked by the fact that Starwood Hotel management can’t provide five-star hotel quality. Prior to my visit to Egypt I have never used hotels of this group. And now I will not use them anywhere. If they can’t provide 5 star qualities in Egypt I don’t believe they can do it Dubai for instance.
My wife and I travel a lot. We lived in hotels and villas from 3 to 5 starts. Basically in 5 star hotels from Hilton, Marriot, Jumeirah, Ritz-Сarlton groups. Never it was so disgusting as in Sheraton Sharm. Despite of the fact that this hotel has relatively chip price even this is waste of money.

• Travel date: Tue 27th of July 2010

What a great holiday would defo go back

Reviewed Sat 18th of October 2008

"We just spent a week in The Starwood Sheraton in Egypt,it was our SILVER WEDDING ANNIVERSARY.We were staying in the villas which was lovely the rooms were very clean and bright,it was cleaned every day. The staff were lovely they couldnt do enough for you, the day of our anniversary they made the bed all fancy.We went for our dinner and they brought a gateau out with a candle on it(by this time we were to stuffed to eat it but the thought was lovely).The pools were great too our loungers were kept for us everyday,we got really friendly with a bartender called HANY what a great person.The pools were spotless and not to many russians came by (thank goodness).The only thing i will say is there was not enough entertainment at night and all inclusive you could only get there whisky,brany and vodka which not everyone likes but that was the only downside to it.i would definatly go there again."

• Travel date: Sat 18th of October 2008

Well this was my second time in Sharm at...

Reviewed Wed 23rd of July 2008

"Well this was my second time in Sharm at the Sheraton Hotel (first visit May 2008) so to come back again meant my first visit was great and having just come back from my second, I can say this time was excellent!

The staff, hotel, food and sun are all fab. My hotel room was lovely big and clean, with sea view over the beach I watched the sunrise. Throughout the day on the beach the staff could not do enough for me and in Naama Bay in the evening I enjoyed the buzz of the people and shops.

I plan to return to Sharm again and will come to the Sheraton as no problems. I was never ill and although everyone is different, I don't think the hotel can be faulted. Great location less than 10mins from airport and free shuttle buses to Naama Bay in evening.

Fantastic hotel and place!"

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of July 2008

After reading the reviews that were writ...

Reviewed Thu 26th of June 2008

"After reading the reviews that were written about the Starwood Sheraton hotel i admit i was rather apprehensive about going! But was pleasantly suprised.

The accomodation was lovely, we were wow-ing over the size of the room- they're huge! We stayed in the resort area.
Only annoying thing was that we had to share our balcony with the room next door- but no-one arrived till our second week (we stayed for two weeks).

The food was okay until my other half had severe craps, vomiting and diarrhoea after the first few days of being there. The poor thing was ill the rest of the time there! We has to purchase medicine from the pharmacy it was that bad! I got ill too but in the second week of our trip. Turns out a lot of people get ill when going to Egypt. We were talking to another family who thought that it wasn't the food but the bottled water they were giving to us! (Bakara or Baraka... can't remeber how it was spelt) They told us to look at the sodium, magnesium and other mineral levels in the water and to compare it to a different one.. there was a huge difference!! I was mixing my drinks (as in fizzy, and other hotel drinks) whereas my other half was strictly drinking the bottled Bakara water.. that may be why he was ill for so long.. So be warned!!
We preferred the White Cruiser restaurant in the hotel although we still had to eat in the Nefertiti restaurant. If your all inclusive- eat in the white cruiser - it's better!

The staff were lovely- once they find out your English they do so much for you for some reason! We would say were English and they'd get really happy!
Luckily we didn't have to put up with any of the shenanigans other people have mentioned in the recent reviews. We had a few problems with our room, the air conditioning started to leak quite badly and the cold tap wouldn't work for a while but on both occaisions they got sorted promptly and with a smile from the workers.

The excursions were great- we did Cairo, Quad biking and St. Catherines monastery. I'm not religious but was still good to see it. My partner did scuba diving and he loved it!
The tour guides (especially for the Cairo trip) were really passionate about what they were talking about and was great learning.

We also went to Naama bay, but the shops were quite repetitive so didn't stay long (found this out to be the case of most places, e.g Dahab)

All in all i'm not too sure about coming back to the Sheraton or Sharm because being ill really spoilt it for us- you don't want to be ill on holiday!
But really regret not seeing Luxor so will probably go back to Egypt at some point.

• Travel date: Thu 26th of June 2008

Absolutely terrible hotel, rude and angr...

Reviewed Wed 28th of May 2008

"Absolutely terrible hotel, rude and angry staff and russians. The food gave all of us stomach cramps and dihorrea, the staff ignored us and were very rude. The room was extremely filthy and had not even been cleaned when we entered it. It had a foul smell of possibly lizard urine. Under the bed and in the bath tub there were plenty of lizards. After contacting front desk 10 times, nobody came to sort the problrm out. As i couldn't sleep with the lizards, me and my wife had a massive argument due to the lizards. We then just went to sleep and the next day only 1 of the 5 restaurants were open. The restaurant sold mainly non veg foods which for me (a vegetarian) was impossible to eat. So we had to live off breadrolls and pizza. Although the swimming pool was nice, it too contained different little insects such as spiders ans mosquitos which did not be removed. Our money was also stolen by a member of staff who must have taken our money while eating. The sanitation is terrible. The food is terrible, the pool is good but dirty and the management and staff is terrible. I don't want to visit this hotel EVER AGAIN "

• Travel date: Wed 28th of May 2008

I've just returned from a week stay at t...

Reviewed Wed 20th of February 2008

"I've just returned from a week stay at the Sheraton resort, and have had a wonderful time. Hopefully I can provide a little information, while it's still fresh in my mind.

- Food -
The food was...well, good. I'm vegetarian, and I didn't go hungry. I'm also quite a fussy eater. But I won't lie, there weren't masses of things I liked. I usually stuck to pizza, pasta, salad (which is lovely), soup and bread rolls. Ooh, and potatoes. They make lovely potatoes. The desserts too, are large in number (normally about 12 available to choose from at a meal), and quite nice. The coffee is lovely.

Anyway, I had no complaints about the food.

- Staff -
The staff are all incredibly helpful, courteous, and very friendly. A lot of them seemed genuinely interested to talk to you, find out where you're from, etc. I had some really interesting conversations actually with some of the shop owners in the market area - (Although they subsequently ripped me off, bigtime!) which made it really enjoyable. They don't all have the best English, but it's not detrimental. And it's forgiveable, because if their English was poor, you'd normally see them spouting in Russian, Italian and Arabic at one point - so to not be so hot on one language isn't a problem. Anyway, the staff that were in charge of things such as the excursions, where you really need to understand and converse easily, all had excellent English.

Although most of the staff are absolutely lovely, a couple are, quite frankly, perverts. One waiter (in his 40s) pretty much showed no interest in anyone other than young females. I was with my sister, who's 25 - and he was all polite and full of smiles when she was with me, but didn't even speak to me if I were alone. And I saw him do the same to several other young ladies. So, if you're a young woman - prepare to get a lot of attention from the staff. And, if you're a man, prepare to be annoyed that some staff are more interested in oggling the women than providing you with a good service!

Oh, and there were a couple of tip-grabbing staff members, as well. The guy who made over our room always did a super job, but used to call at our door for seemingly no reason, then hang around for a tip. I personally loathe tipping, especially if a staff member expects it, so this irked me somewhat.

Finally, be prepared to be approached four or five times in a day at the beach for either excursions, or a henna tattoo. Often by the same people, as well - and whilst you're trying to relax! If it's by Monty, he'll poke fun at how pale you are, then ask you if he can marry any female companions you have with you.

-Entertainment-
This was the real pitfall for me. Quite frankly, there is bugger all to do at night. I believe Naama Bay is the main nightlife place in Sharm, but with no guidance and reassurance about getting there or back, it wasn't really an option. The resort's main attraction is its weather, and its beach - and at nighttime, obviously it struggles! We found a few nighttime activities, but they really weren't up to much. One night was Russian karaoke - fun, eh? Although I suppose it is what you make it. Bring a book.

-Other-
The main problem I found was that you don't really get informed about what's going on. You're pretty much left to your own devices - which is nice in a lot of ways, but frustrating in others. We were never really informed of anything that was going on, such as the fun fun fun Russian karaoke, or the discos which were allegedly going on somewhere. (We learnt things like this just by stumbling across them)
Regarding the Russian debate - yes, there are bloody loads of Russians. Most of them are alright, but there are a lot of rude ones. Sometimes I actually felt I was IN Russia. One girl spoke to me in Russian, and looked at me as if I were stupid when I didn't respond. Anyway, most of the staff I spoke to said they preferred the Brits, so it's not too big a deal! :D

-Beach-
The beach is absolutely lovely. Great for snorkelling - and really spacious. We visited another two resorts to do excursions there, and noticed that they were essentially very similar to ours, but more crowded! There is normally quite a good atmosphere at the beach, too - with music playing etc. The only criticism is there isn't a lot of natural sand area, like we're used to on beaches in the UK. So...not much room for sandcastles! However, there's still access to the sea.

-Weather-
Great. Although a little too windy. It was too cold sometimes to swim, and in the evening, you definitely needed jackets. We went in February. I'd say April is ideal.

-Excursions-
There are some great excursions available - but with just a week, there's not enough time to pack it in - especially if you wanted to go just to relax on the beach, anyway! There is an excursion booth on the beach - you can book quad biking, parasailing and other things like that there. It's easy, and you can pay in most currencies. I couldn't recommend the quad biking enough - it's brilliant. Do it! (Unless you hate bumpy rides, because it's VERY bumpy.)

Just sort out what you want to do right away. Don't faff about for days like we did - because of that, I missed out on parasailing :(

Well, I think that pretty much covers it! The resort is spacious and lovely, and you'll have a super time there, I'm sure (even if I have just read over my review to see it's mainly negative - honestly, it was still really good!!).

• Travel date: Wed 20th of February 2008

Travelled with Cosmos that were very goo...

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2007

"Travelled with Cosmos that were very good and made you feel valued. When arrived at Sheraton was booked at resort not hotel.

This was not a major problem as rooms were excellent with pool 30 sec walk away and beach only 5 mins away. Also a bus service was available that would shuttle you wherever you wanted to go in resort. This service every 5 mins.

Only downside of holiday was food and drink, As being on all inclusive holiday this was a major part of holiday. Firstly the food was not good , we stuck mainly to rolls, pizza, and omelettes.

Drink was worse, you could get drink (would recommend local beer Luxor), however as a spirit drinker found they were all locally made and had a disgusting smell and taste (luckily I bought a bottle of vodka from duty free).

Overall would go to Sharm again(even though full of rude Russians) but not stay at Sheraton."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of December 2007

Hotels near Sheraton Sharm Hotel, Resort, Villas & Spa

Top traveller tips for Sheraton Sharm Hotel, Resort, Villas & Spa

• Jay by Jay

"Sharm is great just dont go to this hotel "

Sheraton Sharm Hotel, Resort, Villas & Spa is also called