Sharm Grand Plaza

El Salam Rd, 8 Km from Sharm Airport P.O.Box 340 Sharm El-Sheikh, Nabq Bay, Sharm El Sheikh Egypt

Hopefully a balanced review

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"I would begin by saying the staff were tremedous and the vast majority made us feel very welcomed. The resort was clean although one can question whether the rating of 5 star is jusitfiable. We felt the food was bland and was not to our liking but if you like pasta and rice with chicken then go for it. I must add that we are not of the burger and chips culture but although willing to try egyptian ciusine found that the food was aimed more to the pallete of Italian and Russian guests. The same could be said for the entertainment. We booked through XL and they failed to advise us of the building works being carried out on a site next door to the hotel so you will be subjected to building site noise. There was the daily ritual of the 'on site' massage, beauty shop, diving and excursion sellers which became very tedious as they do not respect your right to privacy and will interupt your relaxation to try and sell their goods. You must accept that there are cultural differences between arab countries and what we enjoy in the UK but i would encourage you to explore these differences. Do not expect to be able to enjoy a pint of best or a range of wines as you will be dissapointed but go with the flow its an experience.

Would we return? maybe some time in the future but the hotel is new and still has a lot to learn. Be aware of the problems with water and although you are likely to succumb to abdominal sickness the pharmacy on site is very good."

• Travel date: Tue 15th of April 2008

bored bored bored!!!

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"After reading the reviews on this site about this hotel, we were worried about going. but the hotel itself was nice and clean and the staff were friendly. the food was ok. although we are fussy with our food, I actually lost weight!! the only downside was that there was no entertainment. The all inclusive bit was a joke, the only bar we could use at night was cold and no atmospher, We would go out about six and have a few beers before dinner then when we got back there was no one in the place and nothing to do so we ended up going back to our rooms. We did not book this hotel originally. Thomas Cook transferred us to this hotel. Watch how they wash the glasses in the one bar that you can drink in after dusk. I think I may have got a stomoch bug from that. so went onto paper cups. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone unless you just wanted a quiet week away and I mean quiet!"

• Travel date: Sun 27th of January 2008

worst hotel ever DO NOT GO HERE

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"After reading these reviews and finding out my wife had booked us and the kids in I was pretty worried. But like most I thought well a few unhappy people. They were right. This is the worst hotel I have ever come across. The food is terrible, unsafe. The service is poor, if you are british they do not want to know. I waited almost 30 minutes to get a coffee. The all inclusive is pointless. You can sit by the pool and have a couple of beers. I have no idea why companies such as Thomas Cooks use this hotel, they clearly care more about money that peoples wellbeing.

If you complain you are in danger. After I complained about the food I had been told to keep quite or else... We all spent most of the holiday with the runs, I have never felt so ill in my life.

All in all, just do not go here."

• Travel date: Fri 25th of January 2008

run for the hills before its to late.

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"we booked to stay in the grand sharm in march of 07, then in november thomas cook said there was building work still going on so we were moved to the concord-el salam or so we thought.
just ten days before departure we had another letter stating the same, more fictional building work, and yes just like the others we was dumped at the Grand Plaza in Nabq bay. I tried in vain to make contact with Thomas cook and refuse this hotel after reading the reveiws but to no avail five hours i was kept on line waiting to speak to an advisor and several other wasted attemptson the phone, we had no choice other than to go or lose our money but i can assure you that would have been a better solution that what we endured at this hotel, Why or WHY does thomas cook insist on sending british holiday makers to the hotel it is clearly not intended for our use or injoyment at all.
There was no entertainment at all or none that we could understand, and as for all inclusive facilities that was none
exsistant unless you call a very dimmly lit windy shed with no
music, entertainment or comfort the place was bitterly cold
and so was the service , i would never recommend this hotel to
anyone even if i loathed them it was an absolute nightmare
and the ruination of an eagerly awaited holiday."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of January 2008

You have been warned

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"This hotel was a disaster from when we arrived in dec 2007.
Originally booked in to the Grand Sharm which was still being built, we were offered this hotel & told it was a better hotel.
we could not use the main bar in the hotel (not inclusive)
we had to drink in a windy wooden shed freezing cold drinking out of paper cups.
Only Two restuarants to eat in which served below basic food.
we did not get the standard & quality we had payed for, our
original hotel had 6 restaurants.
i had stomach upset three times , caught a cold.
little problems like no tea spoons , one chef cooking eggs
in the morning with almost a dozen people waiting.
entertainment was in italian , no entainment for us brits.
i would give this a three star.

BE WARNED."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of January 2008

BE AFRAID BE VERY AFRAID, you have been warned !!

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"To put it simply, Do Not stay at this place, it is RUBBISH. The "all inclusive" is not all inclusive. The food is less than average. The drinks situation becomes frustrating when waiting to be served you get pushed and barged out of the way by some rude Russian and Italian people ( everytime) and then get ignored by the waiter serving. The beach is small and cramped and windy. Snorkelling off the jetty is dangerous because of the strong currents and chop of the sea. The day we were leaving i asked a member of staff i it would be ok to leave our bags in our room until we were to leave, he told me "no problem", i then checked with him later on to make sure again he said " no problem". Upon leaving the rude Manager told me i had to pay 165 le which is about £15 for leaving the bags in the room. I explained that i had asked before. He then demanded we paid and we went on to have a blazing argument for about ten minutes. I have been round the world twice and have stayed in many places. I have never been so badly treated. We came away from Egypt thankful that we had had some sunshine but really upset about the resort. ABSOLUTELY RUBBISH. Any travel agent etc should be ashamed sending British people to this resort. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED."

• Travel date: Fri 28th of December 2007

Wrong location

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"My husband and 28 year old daughter have just returned form a week at the Grand Plaza Resort in Sharm el Sheikh, which is situated at Nabq Bay, at the northern side of the airport. The hotel itself is fine. good standard for rooms and good cleaning service. There are good swimming pools too and a nice children's play area. The all inclusive food is very good and so is the beer. As usual if you want decent wine you need to pay for it, but that's ok. the weather was wonderful, lovely and hot. But - if like us you like to snorkel this isn't the hotel for you. There is a jetty out to the sea but there is a dangerous undercurrent. whether or not this applies all the year I don't know. The reef stretches out flat from the hotel and at the point the jetty enters the water there is a sudden possibly hundred foot drop, which means that there are few fish to be seen. You can experience the depressing sight of hotel guests walking over the flat part of the reef and therefore killing of what remains of it. ther are fish to be seen on the flat part of the reef but not for much longer because of the ignorant behaivour of the guests, and the water is too shallow to snorkel where the reef is flat. Other hotels in Sharm such as the Crowne Plaza have reefs which are wonderful, so if you stay at the Grand Plaza you'll need to book trips to do any snorkelling. In the evening there is nothing - absolutely nothing to do at this hotel. Not even an English news channel on tv.Fine if you are an Italian family and like to sit through slapstick talent shows. The bar was otherwise deserted and we didn't find any other Brits to even have a natter to. We ended up travelling into sharm itself, a distance of about 12 miles. Regular noisy flights going across during the day but to be fair no-one seemd to be botherd and there were no flights at night or in the early morning. If all you want to do is sit round a pool and read a book in the evening, this is the hotel for you, otherwise think of somewhere nearer to Naama Bay."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of November 2007

Worst hotel and service ever, Expect Food poisoning

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"Anyone thinking from the nice pictures of this hotel that they are in for a great time please think again. For your own safety do not go here. I will start by saying that it is a pretty resort, especially at night. That is as far as anything I can say that is good. For the whole week my wife and kids were here all of us were sick. The food is cold as other reviews has mentioned. Our room serive (we were too sick to go to eat) was cold, and had clearly been dropped. None of us have ever been so ill. What makes this worse it seems that Thomas Cooks and EL holidays are aware of this. But do not care. The doctors are not to be trusted, they will tell you no one else is sick and its the sun. We had no sun in 7 days of being there as we were sick from the first night. There is old food on the floors, its not clean atall. The buffets are the same every meal. I did not find any of the staff kind, helpful. At least to anyone that is British. At nighttime nothing seems to be happening, from what other guests told us they only care about the Italians and Russians that stay there. The front desk even called us names, they seem very anti British.

This could be a great hotel. It is set up nice they just need to sack everyone that works there and hire a mix of people, a few from other countries after all this is Egypt, we want to meet Egyptian people, but the customer service is terrible. Anyone that has had a bad stay here and I assume anyone that is British will not enjoy this should get their moneys back.

In short if you have booked at this hotel think twice before going. It is not safe. Hols in ground easy to fall down, and the food I have never experienced illness like at this place."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of November 2007

grand plaza avoid it

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"we returned from the grand plaza on the 31st oct reviews were correct we should have cancelled our holiday this hotel is the faulty towers of egypt.
we have been to other hotels in sharm so thought we would be ok in this hotel think again.
food really bad we had bad stomach for the whole 2 weeks there
mind you i lost 8 lbs in weight my husband lost 3 and my son lost 5.
some of the staff did their best but this wasnt good enough they ran out for cups plates cultlery etc 5 star hotel not. food was cold food was under cooked or over cooked food was also on the floor the tables were not cleared.
in the evening you were expected to sit on the sunbeds near the pools or bar stools which were wet and the lighting was really bad.
the entertainment were not interested in the english they should be ashamed of themselves wouldnt even give us eye contact.
the staff in reception were unhelpful even when we came to check out we asked to keep our room on no problem they said when it came to the day they would nt allow it.
i could go on but i am saying to anyone whos thinking of booking change it our rep told us the day after arriving he would have moved us to another hotel but they were all busy great."

• Travel date: Sun 11th of November 2007

Had a great time at the hotel. Staff were great and the food was ok

Reviewed Mon 8th of October 2012

"Have just returned from this hotel and just wanted to say what a wonderful time we had there. The weather was ok and the hotel staff were great. Will be looking to rebook this hotel again for next year"

• Travel date: Fri 9th of November 2007

dont understand the moans

Reviewed Mon 29th of June 2015

"Hi came back 18th may stayed in room 1134 Tiran block looked over beach and pool all I can say and there is loads is brilliant staff good food every day better if you upgrade when you arrive £30 each beach great sea beautiful fish galore shop around for boat trips Soho square he will even get special food cooked for you if your fussy Tip him at the end it costs him £20 to get home once every 3 months its a 9 hour journey Tony Kaz "

• Travel date: Sat 27th of June 2015

1st time to Egypt

Reviewed Sun 10th of February 2013

"Spacious clean rooms. Resort well maintained. Staff work very hard & are friendly.
Food mostly ok, some not to our taste & some very nice indeed. I loved the pasta station at lunch.
Beach is very gritty, aqua shoes recommended, snorkeling is a must.

Overall a very good choice, & no neither of us was ill nor anyone we spoke to whist we were there (we had ice in our drinks too)"

• Travel date: Sun 10th of February 2013

Hotels near Sharm Grand Plaza

Stayed at Sharm Grand Plaza? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Sharm Grand Plaza

• Kriston by Kriston

"We are already looking to return later in the year! "

• barbaralauren by barbaralauren

"bellydancing and onions restaurant, nama bay, gettin nails done in salon in the hotel "

• Mitch. by Mitch.

"You seen one shop you have seen them all. "

• Mitch. by Mitch.

"Eating out in very good "

• eleb by eleb

"glass bottom boat/camel ride "

• realistic by realistic

"An arabian Costa del Sol 20 years ago. Don't go for the culture! "

• realistic by realistic

"Don't miss snorkelling in the Red Sea - off the hotel pier was great "

• teenaj1 by teenaj1

"Nice for relaxing if you don't do diving. Entertainement could be better for British visitors. "

• kangel by kangel

"Always ask for high quality service hotel of famous brands!!!!!Local staff is poorly trained "

• martys_baby by martys_baby

"Don't Wasre Your Money "

• polaheather by polaheather

"be careful with food and water "

• Michelle by Michelle

"Book now - its a great resort "

• young at heart middle aged travellers by young at heart middle aged travellers

"Lovely friendly place, well recommended "

• golfnuts by golfnuts

"wort a visit great for family although I went with my wife and we both really enjoyede our break "

• Gladys and Ian by Gladys and Ian

"Be carefull of the sun. "

• Super simon by Super simon

"The entertainment could be a bit better! "

• Alison R by Alison R

"Take a walk around the whole complex and down the private jetty and take in the view from the sea "

• Emmagrace2100 by Emmagrace2100

"Take aqua shoes & be friendly to the staff & they will go the extra mile for you "

• tonyandkaz by tonyandkaz

"tip at the end and talk if there is a problem "

Sharm Grand Plaza is also called