Sea Magic Resort and Spa

Sharks Bay, Sharm El Sheikh Egypt

STAY AWAY!! HOTEL IS AWFUL

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"We arrived at this hotel and it looked nice for the outside the staff were very nice on check in and we were showed to our rooms. The room was not what i booked i had booked a pool view and i had a palm tree! The room was also dated and the air conditioning was not the best system i have came across. We settled into our rooms we had 3 children with us aged 6,8,14 we got to sleep at around 1.30am in the morning and by 2.00am it started they was drilling, hammering things been thrown about this continued all night and we were told the next day that was the end of the works 3 days later we had not slept a wink at night or eating anything because the food was so bad!! We were given another room which was better and did have a sea view. The food is awful and can not be eating by anyone who dosent want to die early, there was flies in the food the fruit salads and salads were used for several days before being refreshed, raw food was handled and the cooked food was handled with the same pair of gloves the cheifs just havnet got a clue about health and safety. My husband and children had to get medicine for there stomaches and we spent an extra £1400 eating in namma bay because i was not willing to put them through anymore of the food. The local drinks were ok although i didnt have anymore that 2 largers in the evening. The hotel pool hand tiles missing and the kids slide cut everykid in the resort until it was closed and stayed closed for the full 2 week, there is no entertainment at night for familys and very little entertainment through the day for the kids or adults and what was there, no one spoke a word of english, the germans, russians and the italians aswell as the french are the worst people i have came across they were rude to the staff and didnt know how to que they pushed kids out of the way and were very rude. There was a kids club that the children begged me to go to, i like to take of my own kids but because there was no slide in the pool that worked, no entertainment for the kids i gave in and let them go. I returned 2 hours later to find that the girl could not cope with the amount of children she had and had closed the kids club WHERE WHERE MY KIDSTHAT CANT SWIM?!!! YES BY THE POOL BEING TAKEN CARE OF BY SOME STRANGER!!!!!!!! WHO TOLD ME SHE WATCHED MY YOUNGEST CRY BY THE POOL FOR ME AND THEN TRIED TO GE IN THE DEEP END BEFORE SHE ASK IF HE WAS OK AND SHOULD HE BE GOING INTO THE POOL WITHOUT HIS MUMMY!!!I THINK THIS SAYS IT ALL. If you have booked to go here ask for a refund the holdiay companies should not be advertising this hotel it is that bad and it would be lucky if i would even give it a star never mind 5 and 4 for the accommodation. This is the worst holiday i have ever had and i have never in my life felt the need to write a review on a hotel but just could not let anybody else experience what we did for 2 weeks plus the exta cost. Me and my family were glad to get home and go back to work that is how bad it truly was."

• Travel date: Wed 25th of August 2010

Wonderful time at this hotel

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"Stayed at this hotel and was very pleased with the service we received from all of the staff. The hotels big pool was very busy all of the time and we found it very hard to get a sun bed. We used the smallest pool all of the time, and always got a sunbed We tipped the pool boy and he always had a towel on the same beds for us. The tiles at the side of the pool were very unsafe a bit of attention needed for extra safety. The staff at the small pool bar were very friendly especially sayeed who loked after us all of the time. We found the food at the hotel restaurants excellent and with plenty of air conditioning. The beach restaurant was fantastic with a choice of all cooked meats cooked infront of us. Nothing was too much trouble for all of the staff who were there when needed. Would go again to this hotel and would recommened this hotel to anybody."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of August 2010

Could do better

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"We stayed at Sea magic from the 8th-15th august and boy was it hot!!!, Had on the whole an enjoyable time, The room was nice and clean and cleaned to a good standard daily, We found the staff to be helpfull and friendly even at the end of there 12-13 hour days!!, A few things do need to be improved such as the drinks were not always cold enough, a few cracks etc in the pool area and the food left a bit to be desired but there was always something to eat. The hotel could do with sorting out some entertainment because it had nothing in the evenings and it could be hard work keeping kids happy i would of thought. There are a lot of steps at this hotel but they do run a free shuttle bus around the grounds evry 15 mins which is good. There was a lot of italians and it has to be said they are some of the most arrogant, rude and obnoxious people i have come across, I found it appaling the way they spoke to the hotel staff and they just barged there way through even when we was clearly queing for food, drinks etc, The bar staff and waiters are very friendly and if your polite to them they will go out of there way to make your stay enjoyable, On the whole we had a really good time and did not experiance any bad stomachs, noise from building work, cockroaches etc that some have mentioned and we didnt here anyone complain or moan whilst we were there, In fact it was quite the opposite, Yes there are some things that need to be done, but with the new owners it looks like they will be done."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of August 2010

Great

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"i have been there from 22.07.2010 t0 06.08.2010 and i did not have any thing bad to speak about it , food is OK rooms are clean location is far from noisy of the town every thing is fine and far away from the bad review thanks for the new management"

• Travel date: Thu 12th of August 2010

Glad we didn't pay any more

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"Our holiday price was great for a family of four, all inclusive, for the time of year. We, however, spoke to other guests that had paid more for just a couple. If we had paid that sort of money I would have been gutted. Generally I feel we got what we paid for. On sight the hotel is very good, usual marble, carving and brass trim. Very pleasing on the eye but amenities, activities, cleanliness, food and service are certainly only 3 star. You can see that maybe in its hey day this would have been superb but the moral of the staff was shocking. During the day we were ok once we got used to the fact that there really wasn't any snacks available and that all drink were warm and served in paper cups. Oh and there was no ice cream included. The beach is nice and there are ample beds and areas for snorkelling but I would say that once you go down to beach you need to make a bit of day of it and be organised as running back and forward to your room will kill you. The brochure we booked through did tell us about the steps but we are quite fit but in the heat they are killers. The views over sharks bay are beautiful and we had a superior room with sea view which was nice. Cleanliness I would say is low but kinda what you expect of a hotel run only by men (sorry men) but our towels were changed daily and main areas of our room cleaned every day. We did tip the cleaner as they seem to work very hard and long hours. The night times were very difficult. There really was only the lobby bar that has any sort of air conditioning so most people gathered in there and all there was to do was play cards. The service was very slow and several times my partner went to the bar to try and get drinks but was told there was a waiter service!!!!! There just isn't enough staff for the size of the complex. We have several cuts, quite servere, from the pool. Its very slippy and the 'sand effect' is breaking away and therefore settles around the edge making it uncomfortable to sit on. There were quite a few 'floater' moments, hairs all over me and plastic covers off water bottle found around my feet. The wave pool is nicer. Kids were not impressed with slide. They only went on once or twice as they were getting stuck half way down. I can't say I had a really bad holiday as you got to make the best of it but I would not return to Sharm.
There is an indoor pool which his refreshing but there is a lot of work being carried out by it, the pool tables are 6 euro for half an hour but the air con is none existent so I could not stay down there and the kids felt dizzy after about ten minute and they complained about state of table. TV in the room is good. We had to wait up on arrival til after 1am for enough beds to put into the room. We had fumes in our room from broken air con which was repaired 7 hours later but never really kept the room cool anyway........................."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of August 2010

A disapointing holiday

Reviewed Wed 17th of October 2012

"Booked a promo room for me and my partner and our two teenage children all inclusive at the sea magic/ pyramisa. I read with interest the most recent reviews of the hotel- they seemed vey mixed. I thought perhaps people were being extra fussy/ demanding. However once I arrived I completely understood the mix of reviews. The hotel itself is very large and has the look of a good hotel, the room was a fair size and would have been impressive 20 years ago ( it was all a bit tired and poorly repaired) but all the equipment in our room was in good working order (tv , with english films, hair dryer, ajustable aircon). The bedding was clean and plenty of towels for all four of us which were changed daily.
The food in the two resturants within the hotel main building is just ok, not so bad that we couldnt eat eat but not so nice that we enjoyed it. The food lacked flavour. The salad was dry from sitting out in the heat. The atmosphere was not good, bright lighting no music, more like a school canteen than a resturant. That said, breakfast was nice, lots on offer, eggs made to order, pastrys, cerials, fruit.
The poolside resturant ( the view) was ok. The beach 1 resturant was fantastic- lovely atmosphere, you could watch felafel being freshly cooked, a pitza type bread being expertly made and and area for meats being cooked. The staff were attentive. The snacks at the main pool resturant consisted of a tray of chips and a tray of burgers, which had to be fought over in order to get any, as every time the tray was filled with chips everyone scrambled to get some. This I found the same with "afternoon tea" one plate of 20 sandwiches put out for 8,000 guests- they lasted about half a second, I even asked for more sanwiches and was told they didnt have any . The entertainment was so bad that it was funny, like others we entertiained ourselves most nights with cards in the lobby. ( which reminded me of the airport atmosphere!) There was nothing for our teens to do, my daughter was looking forward to making some new friends but there wasnt the chance to.
The main pool has a very large crack in the middle and occaisionaly a tile would come loose, there were cracked tiles around the edge of the pool- I advise that caution be taken with the pool with young children, as the safety standards at the hotel are not as we are used to in the uk, We found that people were putting towels on beds at six in the morning, but after tipping the poolside towel attendant, he saved us four beds every day. We were hastled by staff wanting us to book trips etc, but they left us alone once we told them we were not interested. The staff seemed friendly, but not much english was spoken.Amaizingly there was no change of shift in staff, they worked around the clock.
We enjoyed the snorkeling, and saw lots of lovely fish, the jetty is alittle tricky to get in and out tof the sea from, but if you are not a strong swimmer I recommend you go to beach 1 as you can put your feet down. There are no life guards at the beach.
So as you can read from my review the hotel was ok, nothing realy bad, but nothing realy good either, for the first four days we just felt dissapointed and looking at other peoples faces we were not alone. We didnt speak to anyone who was having a fabulous time and not one said they would want to come back. A couple of people had been last year and said it was not as good. I find it hard to pinpoint the reason why we didnt enjoy this holiday and others said the same. However dispite using anti baci wipes and avioding ice, tap water, rice and salad ,we were all ill with gastro enteritus, so im sure that didnt help- my daughter and I were put on a drip, I made the mistake of going to see the hotel dr, who made the most of my medical insurance and pumped me full of anything he could get away with in order to make as much money as he could- My partner and son got it two days later and went to the phamasist instead and was sold two types of tablets that helped. Most families had a pack of two of these same tablets, having at least one member of the family ill. so if youve already booked this hotel then dont fret, but if you are reading this to decide weither to book this hotel then i would say DONT. This is my first holiday were I wasnt sad at the end of my hols, but has given us lots to talk about on our return!"

• Travel date: Wed 4th of August 2010

Don't be fooled by the bad reviews, or the sparkling pictures in the brochure!

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"My family and I have recently returned from a 2 week stay at this hotel.
After having a 6 hour delay traveling out to Egypt (which of course, was no fault of the hotel's) we were very tired, and hungry. The hotel was aware of this. We were meant to have tea as our first meal at the hotel as we were meant to arrive at around 5pm (Egypt time). Due to our delay, we missed this meal and were promised a meal in the room when we arrived. When we got into the disappointing room, there was no dinner to be found. When we arrived in the room we had no electricity as the method of putting the key in to start it was very poor.
We moved rooms 3 times, which is appalling. When we booked it in the travel agents, we requested a balcony on the room. The first room we were in was the only room in the entire block of rooms in the main part of the hotel that had a window, and no balcony. Because of this, we moved rooms. We were moved down to the bottom of the complex, right on the sea front which had a few disadvantages and problems. Firstly, it was a long walk from any part of the hotel. This was a huge problem as they are all stairs and one of our party members suffers from bad knees and found this quite a walk. Secondly, there were only two beds in the room when the hotel was aware that there was three people staying in the room. The luggage took far too long to be transferred (after being told it would take 10 minutes!), therefore, we missed our welcome meeting. We were content with this room; however we experienced a huge problem. Lastly, at night, we discovered the air con wasn't working. This meant that all three of us had no sleep due to the heat and the loud noises that the air con made kept us awake anyway. After complaining a second time, we were moved again. We were move back up into the main hotel block with a room that had a balcony. It wasn't the best of rooms, but it would do.
The 3rd room: The cleanliness was not up to a high standard. The room was never cleaned properly. We thought that we would see if the room was cleaned properly by leaving a sweet paper underneath the dressing table, it stayed there for the entire stay of our holiday. Our balcony door was left open on several occasions by the cleaners which were appalling. Apart from this, the room was standard, as we paid for.
Food: we were informed as to why the food was as it was. As the hotel were catering for around 8,000 guests, it was understandable they had to cook in bulk loads but we felt as though the food was very repetitive, despite the different themed nights. My daughter is vegetarian and was advised to avoid salad that was left open due to flies. Therefore, she lived off pasta and rice for two weeks due to the poor quality. I also do not eat meat, and found it very hard to enjoy my holiday to the full due to feeling very poorly through not eating. I lost an awful lot of weight through this holiday. Luckily, we went into Naama Bay and ate out for meals twice, which was the best food we had eaten in the entire 2 weeks. If you are not a fussy eater, and are okay with repetitive food, then you will be fine.
Entertainment: was poor. Absolutely poor. The animation team are shockingly bad and I was appalled by their standard of work. The language barrier is poor as many of them spoke little English and a large population of the guests were English. They seemed to choose who they wanted to talk to and ignore the rest. I found them very rude. There seemed to be little organisation as to the day time activities, and apart from the board by the main restaurant telling you what was happening, you had no idea what was happening when and where to go to participate. This continued on into the evening. The evening entertainment said ‘a show’. Thinking that there is a full group of animation team, they could have put on a show. Their idea of entertainment was to put a television show on in the conference room. As this was such poor entertainment, we ended up spending every night sitting in the lobby playing cards. We got very bored which put a down on the mood of the holiday.
The pool area: I feel that this is an issue that needs to be addressed. The pool floor is hazardous, especially to small children. The tiles are all cracked and lose, which could cause feet being cut and more serious problems. The floor is also very slippery, which should be made note of for everyone to take caution when going in the pool. The walk way through the pool too was also in very poor condition. It was also very cracked and had many holes in, which in fact I did fall in but luckily no damage was caused. The fact that the pool bar is there is very handy, however I think there should be a life guard monitoring that area as on numerous occasions I saw children throwing cups of fizzy drinks over each other in the pool which is revolting. The slide was out of use for the first week while we were there, and when they did fix it, it was still not safe so we opted out of using it. Finally, there were many incidents in which we got women’s hair on us whilst in the pool. This shows a poor cleanliness level in the pool.
Apart from that, we had a lovely stay. The people could not be faulted and their attention to the guests is outstanding. I do feel that the language barrier is a problem, but lucky enough for us there was a girl training (Rachel) who was English. She sorted out all of our problems almost instantly. The cleaners that work around the lobby area do not get enough credit. The waiters are also very polite and attentive. If you are looking to relax during the day I suggest you opt to using the small pool located on the beach front. This is because of the people that walk around selling things. These people are most frustrating and have to be told hundreds of times to leave you alone. This can be very irritating when you are trying to be polite and just want to relax.
Don’t listen to the terrible reviews, they are not all true. The hotel itself is outstanding, it has amazing potential. They just need to pay more attention to certain details and then this could well be a 5* resort. We would go back, but on the terms the food aspect and entertainment was improved."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of August 2010

Stay with Caution

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"We have just returned from a two week all inclusive at this resort, I must say it wasn’t the best holiday I have had, the resort has recently been taken over by Flash International who seem to be spending money repairing and & updating the whole estate, most of the problems are with poor workmanship being carried out around the pool area & the rooms, poor air con loose tiles around the baths the rooms are very 2star 1980s however the guys who clean the rooms are fantastic, they work for very low pay & long hours I was told, the staff morale was very low and many of the staff we spoke to said they will finish after 2 months & not return, I found this quite disturbing as these staff members seemed very hard working, My biggest problem was the food I am a group executive chef for a large hotel chain so I am aware of budgets costs that all hotels are forced to work to, but I could see no excuse for the appalling standard of food offered at the main buffet restaurants, there was no food temperature checks at all taken, the food was tepid at best, chicken was reheated and dry, salads although looked colourful were warm how easy would it have been to pack the salad bowls on crushed ice, there is no consideration taken for international tastes, the only restaurants my wife & three young boys ate in were the pizza restaurant the Indian restaurant & the beach restaurant these I found had staff that cared about what the gusts wanted & how the food should be prepared, I spoke with the food & beverage manager & the duty manager who did genuinely seem to listen to my concerns, I have the duty managers details who I will keep in touch with should I decide to stay again at this moment I am not sure, for me the food will have to improve a great deal, it seemed more & more people had grave concerns over the food as to my kids delight we found that you could order take away McDonalds & KFC & have your order delivered to the resort, one night we ordered at 7.30 pm and there was a convoy of scooters delivering orders of KFC & McDonalds’ to our resort, if I was the chef of this resort & was aware of fast junk food being delivered as the paying guest would rather pay & eat this instead of the food on offer I would give up being a chef,
Most of the staff seemed pleasant however there was a lot of none willing to do more than they had to or use the easy option you will have to come back later should you ask for any assistance with internet or any general concerns you may need answering.
entertainment was very poor there was a team from freak animation who demonstrated a dance on the pool stage daily, water aerobics, kids disco and that was about it, in the evening there was a guitar player in the pizza restaurant that become repetitive,
to summarise this company have a long way to go I feel they should recruit some international experienced staff from around the world to make this resort worth visiting, as they do not seem to have much of a clue on putting the basics in place, my advice would be to stay for one week ten days maximum but not this year you will be only disappointed & asking yourself why didn’t we go somewhere else"

• Travel date: Sat 31st of July 2010

For the future i may recommend - but not for now!

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"We have just returned from this hotel two weeks all inclusive. Having read the reports on trip advisor we were a little concerned before the stay. Although some of the reviews seemed “extreme”, I have to say there is some foundation in most of them this review is not “all bad”, though, as there were some very good points as well.
Too the bad points first though! Of the five of us visiting the hotel four of us suffered from dysentery whilst on holiday, and the fifth immediately on return from holiday.
The food was repetitive to say the least, and not always hot on presentation, more worrying, it was often “warm, but not hot”, or “chilled” sufficiently.
Now this may or may not be due to the food at the hotel, some of which was not to the required temperature, but more likely through contamination of serving utensils through other guest use – serving tongs, spoons etc, where they were constantly handled by other guests but never seen to be replaced with clean implements as they should be – the hotels reputation may be suffering because of the poor hygiene of some guests. Regular replacement of serving utensils may help reduce this issue.
Frankly, some of the guests were noted to have not washed hands on using the toilet facilities, we used hand washing followed by hygiene sterilising gel but still fell foul of “pharaohs revenge”!
The hotel rooms were sub standard, loose fittings, missing surface finish to bath in our case also leaving some edges that small hands or feet may have been cut on.
The main pool was in poor condition with many missing tiles, the main walk through across the pool was particularly bad in very poor condition with lots of the concrete or material missing leaving sharp edges and a surface so uneven in places your footing and ankles could easily have been damaged.
The only “water slide”, was fixed – poorly, whilst we were there on our two week stay, it was promptly closed soon after the “fix”, was made as the repair lifted off the surface resulting in a more dangerous finish than before the repair was made.
Some of the activities were poorly communicated – particularly to English speaking guests, with the wrong information provided, or no information at all. Some events were advertised, but just never took place.
For example the gym which appeared to be closed for the first eight days I was informed had been opened for the last four – but I had checked outside of opening times in the morning! The staff though were unaware how to fully use the equipment already there – didn’t understand how to use the set programs, but new equipment seemed to be arriving whilst the gym was in use so maybe they hadn’t yet been “brought up to speed” with the equipment!
Some activities sold as all inclusive have now changed to being charged for.
On the good side – the hotel is under new ownership, and this has to be taken into consideration. Most of the structural and building/fittings issues, have been handed over from the previous owners.
Some of the many restaurants that were not included in the all inclusive now are and this reduces the repetitive nature of the food – provided you like idian and Chinese food.
The restaurant near the beach with Arabic cuisine is by far the best of all the restaurants, with good “hot”, freshly prepared food, live music, and the most pleasant staff. This is the only part of the hotel i would recommend to anyone staying there – it was excellent, above the standard you would expect.
Clearly attempts are being made to rectify issues as soon as possible, but some of the more safety issues such as the pool walk over is not being addressed as a priority as it should be in my opinion.
The staff are as helpful as possible, one duty manager “Mohammed”, being particularly helpful and considerate.
We only encountered courtesy whilst there, no rudeness or any other negative behaviour.
The housekeeping was excellent despite the poor condition/quality of the rooms. We raised some issues with the management and they seemed genuinely concerned that we were upset at some things, and they did what they could to right any issues they could quickly.
The hotel is under new ownership, and this has to be factored into any assessment of it.
The staff are working hard with what they have got to work with for now, and are making every effort, however, this does not mean I would recommend this hotel as it stands today – I could not do that for safety reasons alone, and would recommend other hotels were we have previously stayed such as “Reef oasis blue bay”, until this hotels refurbishment is finished.
If the effort being made by the management and flash international – the new owners are continued though, it may be recommended for the future.
If you are visiting in the near future just take extra care around the pool area and steps. Take gel to sterilise your hands after using serving tongs and before handling any food such as bread and you should have a nice stay. Dont be alarmed, but be careful and you should have a pleasant stay."

• Travel date: Fri 16th of July 2010

Schoene Anlage,Zimmer koennte etwas groesser sein,mehr Schraenke

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"Sehr freundliches und zuvorkommendes Personal. Sehr grosse Auswahl und schmackhaftes Essen in allen Restaurants. Sollte mehr Platz fuer Kleider zum auf-
haengen sein.
Gesamtanlage war sehr geplegt und staendig wurde sauber gemacht."

• Travel date: Sat 10th of July 2010

Hotels near Sea Magic Resort and Spa

Stayed at Sea Magic Resort and Spa? Share your insight.