Charmillion Sea Life Resort

Good

Never again but some of the staff are really lovely

Reviewed Fri 8th of August 2014

"What can I say about this holiday....I got to the airport at Sharm and bought our visas there. A rather charming custom official took the money for the visas for 3 of us my son 23,granddaughter 6 and myself. I did not know the value of the Egyptian pound and only had Egyptian money on me. I was asked to pay 750 Egyptian pounds and he then said he was taking money for himself! He said 50 and was laughing at me I said no you don't take anything but he only gave me 20 back from the 800. I later found out that this was more than the cost of 4 visas plus his own take. This is the customs guy in a foreign country and you've just arrived late at night and shattered. You don't argue! and you don't get a receipt....no receipt he told me!

Got to the Sea Life and my booking was not correct. This a problem from Low Cost Holidays not the hotels fault. As I originally booked for myself and granddaughter I specified and paid for sea view with twin beds paid and then 2 days later I added my son on the booking but Low Cost did not notify or pay the hotel for him. So at 11pm at night an very tired was told to sort it out later next day. Got to room and found just a king size bed. Reception then sent a child's single to us and made it up. My son is 6ft and this bed was way too small but they seemed to think my son was my partner and granddaughter our child. Within 2 days my son took extremely ill with vomiting and diarrhea and didn't go out of the room for 5 days. I spoke to Zak ...lovely bar manager there and he mentioned a medicine to take. I went to the pharmacist in the Sea Life and asked him for it. He tried to sell me a number of different items but I was specific in asking for the Antinel. He eventually said he had it and then took the 1 strip of tablets from the packet to give me, fiddled with his calculator and said 70 E/Ps. I asked for a receipt after questioning the cost. He then said he had no receipts left. He had a pad full of written ones and I insisted he gave me a receipt. He was not very happy at doing this. I then said to keep hold of the tablets as I wanted to check on how much he was charging me after the episode at the airport. I checked with Zak and he said they should be around 20 E/Ps. I told him how much the pharmacist was charging and he was amazed. I then didn't want to be ripped off again so was going to go into Naama Bay to purchase but Zak actually went home and brought a full strip of tablets to our room for my son. How very kind of him to do this. My son took the pills and was much better in 2 days. I then got ill with the same as he was getting better and I was so ill I cant put into words just how bad I felt and all the time I had my granddaughter to look after. I took what was left of the pills and then my granddaughter got sick and had diarrhea. I did not trust the pharmacist and didn't want to give her the adult medication so I consulted guest services ....Laura who had sorted out a room change for us. She kindly looked on internet as internet terminals at hotel were not working. She recommended I go and see the doctor at the Sea Club (sister hotel). I did this and was told there was a children's syrup formula of Antinel which I purchased from the chemist at the Sea Club (120 E/Ps). She was violently sick for 1 day and terrible diarrhea which really upset her but the medicine kicked in really quick.

The hotel...well the grounds are amazing and the pools are really lovely and you can use the facilities at the two other sister hotels (Sea Club and Sea Gardens) but the original room I had (826)which was very close to the sea was very basic and really in need of updating. Not at suitable for 3 singles to go in as too small. I asked for the sheets to be changed but they weren't done so I stripped the bed myself and to my horror found black mold stains and a significantly large patch on the mattress as I took the mattress cover off as it was dirty. I complained immediately and asked for the housekeeping manager to come. I showed him this and demanded that it be changed. I also asked for a larger single bed for my son. This was done immediately and mattress was changed for a brand new one and when they took the dirty mattress of my sons bed again to my horror this was broken and a metal rod immediately sprung up which was over 18 inches and very sharp. My granddaughter could easily of impaled herself on this. I was appalled. I photographed this and the other mattress. I then complained to guest services and we ended up moving over to the Sea Gardens. We lost the sea view and breeze but to be honest....the Sea Gardens had a much better feel as there were more English guests there as the Sea Life was full of Russians and Polish guests.

The other problem I have with this hotel is that you are constantly being harassed by the staff from the Spa and the beauty salon. Time after time day after day the same hassle. I relented and had a treatment at the spa but it was not worth the money I paid. I still got pestered to have more treatments after that! The beauty salon was the same. You just could not relax by the pool or on the beach as they constantly throw out at you about what they can do for you.

Another things is the food. At the poolside bar outside of mealtimes they provide snacks. It was continually over 100 yet they served what they called snacks but was just a small finger roll sliced with a slice of processed cheese or meat. These were not buttered or wrapped individually just piled on top of each other in a metal container. This was not chilled and was in the shade of the bar but still very very warm. People, children were just picking up the sandwiches to see what was in then and then putting them back. This was a huge concern to me and I did not let my granddaughter eat from them. They also served up sponge slices with jam on....pretty disgusting really. Deserts at mealtimes were various sponge cakes, bananas, apples, oranges and blancmange of various colors. We did book for a couple of the A La cart e nights which were really lovely I have to say especially the Tepanyaki night and the Lebanese restaurant.so I would definitely recommend going to those.

Overall...would I go back...no as too much hassle but some of the staff there absolutely make a huge difference and are a credit to the hotel. The pharmacist at the Sea Life.....what a disgrace, go to the one at the Sea Club. He is very helpful and you feel that you can trust him.

It was arranged that we could keep our room until late as we were not flying until 9.25 but on the day this was not the case and was asked to leave the room at 3pm. Was also not picked up for the transfer back to the airport even though this was previously arranged by our fantastic rep earlier in the day. He ended up coming to the hotel himself to take us to airport. We should of been picked up at 6pm and were waiting until 7.30pm despite numerous calls from our lovely reception staff at the Sea Garden. After loading his car up and just leaving our transfer finally turned up so unloaded car and loaded his car up..3 large cases 3 adults 1 child. Our rep told us we were leaving from terminal 2 but then the driver insisted it was terminal 1. I questioned this but my son said to trust him...he was doing this day in and out. We piled out at Terminal 1 very late for check in...driver left us. Then after queuing up found that we were at the wrong terminal! Had then to rush across to the other terminal with all cases and a very upset child as I was worrying we would miss the flight as we were so late. The air was blue...the temperature was very hot and after missing our meals and losing the room so early had a very stressful departure as we got to the other terminal and there was a huge queue and by this time it was gone 8pm. I asked for help from a member of the airport staff who got 2 members of security to take us through to check in who then demanded money from me. I gave him a 100 E/Ps but he still demanded more but I insisted I had no more. What an absolutely terrible experience. My little granddaughter was at times so distraught as she thought we were going to be stuck at the airport. She was very sick as we arrived at Manchester and several times was sick when arriving home. An awful ending to the holiday really.

Would like to thank our rep....he was a great help from start to finish and was called Monsef. Thank you so much for all your help. M M"

• Travel date: Fri 8th of August 2014

Five stat . . . three and a half if your lucky

Reviewed Fri 4th of March 2011

"Yes the gardens and the pool's look like the brochure. the rooms need re-plastering. the food not good especially standard of meat (v poor) salad, fruit sweets good. pasta dishes not bad. Local wine horrific don't forget to take the diarrhoea tablets. Animation team to keep children happy worked hard, they did eventually bring in two pro musicians who were fabulous, so at last something that two ex entertainers could appreciate.
However I think it was of the evening before valentines day they started to round up there cats, they had the most beautiful young healthy cats of various colours and ages from seven months to 5 years ish. Then suddenly on the 14th February people with young families with toddlers and older children sunbathing and playing around the pool, imagine the noise of 20-30 cats screaming and screaming and screaming all being slaughtered in ear splitting reach only yards from the pools. Young English people rushing to see, children asking there parents what’s the matter with the cats, then silence deadly silence, and one of there unthinking staff saying the cats are all dead, all dead, and promptly throwing them in large sacks onto the back of one of the gardening vehicles. I’ll never forget the children saying what’s happened to the cats, only to be told they are dead. If you are an animal lover please give this place a miss. human discreet, they don't know the meaning of"

• Travel date: Sun 27th of February 2011

Brilliant /clean

Reviewed Tue 1st of February 2011

"We are from Newcastle, and just got back from our second visit from the sea life hotel , and to be honest ...we cannot complain at all , yes the food isnt every ones cup of tea but OMG there is something for all english to eat,fresh cooked pasta,eggs ( fryed,boiled ect) bread. rice. meat (chicken,ect) chips and much more ....................... rooms cleaned every day ,staff lovely and friendly and we didnt come across any staff that didnt speak English ... and we would go back again.... the best thing is we stayed in the sea life but the sea club across the road and the sea garden over the back you could use them aswell..... the sea garden was 5* "

• Travel date: Thu 27th of January 2011

Fantastic Holiday

Reviewed Mon 8th of November 2010

"After bookng this hoiday late I was a bit apprehensive on what to expect especially as Egypt was never on my list of countries to visit. We took our 4 teenage children for a weeks holiday during half term (Oct)
The transfer was 15minutes from the airport which was great after a 5hr flight.
We were taken to our rooms which were more than adequate with air conditioning and a large bathroom, the rooms are cleaned daily and the cleaners would leave towels in the shapes of flowers etc on the beds and also fold up my daughters pyjama's and clothes !!. I was worried about the food after reading reviews of holiday makers bad reports but after our first visit to the hotel restaurant I was more than impressed. We were greated every evening with a smile and the waiters were superb always making sure we were OK and had enough drink . Each day was a different theme for the restaurant and for the whole week I thought the food was outstanding ( I have never eaten so much) the choices available was unbelievable. We had breakfast every morning with many choices but the omlettes were my favourite. We did not once venture to the restaurant for lunch so cannot comment on this , we had hot dogs, burgers pizzas and fries every lunchtime by the pool. The pool was the childrens favourite and not once did we struggle to get six sunbeds together each morning. The whole hotel area was spotless with gardeners every day looking after the grounds which were very well maintained looking lovely at night when lit up.
The beach is man made as it is on a Coral Reef and the sea not really suitable for running and diving in but sand is there along with many comfortable sunbeds, parasols and windbreakers all free of charge. I would suggest to take beach shoes as once in the sea it is all coral ( I had to buy them there at approx £6 ). the sea depth is approx 2ft for about 50/60 metres and then you reach the coral reef which is a shear drop to the beautiful deep blue coloured sea. All I can say about this is the colour of all the fish and the reef is amazing . Definately take your snorkels and masks as these sights you will not want to miss.
The entertainment was not brilliant but to be honest by the time we had eaten and had a couple of drinks we were all shattered.
Overall this 7 night holiday was fantastic, my four children really enjoyed it but I think they might of got a bit bored if we had gone for longer. The only criticism i have of the whole holiday is that there was not enough tables in the evening by the reception or pool for everyone to sit and have a drink, but as the staff were very accomodating they would get us a table and chairs from inside the reception area. A must is the Quad bike excursion through the dessert, this was done starting in daylight and finishing in the dark, we also paid extra and they arranged a Camel ride for us inbetween the Quad biking. We only ventured to Naama Bay once which was a Thomas Cook trip but this was more of a pub crawl which did not suit the children but there was plenty of night life there.
The beer in the Hotel was good and the kids made the most of the inclusive soft drinks, we did try a few of the Cocktails but these were at an additional cost.
After all my worries about going to Egypt I would definately return and stay At the Sea Life Hotel."

• Travel date: Sat 6th of November 2010

never again

Reviewed Fri 30th of July 2010

"I have just returned from the sealife I would not reccomend this hotel.
I suffered all week with upset stomach have been to egypt before and had no problems.
My money was taken from my bank account when withdrawing from their cash machine however the money never came out the staff told me the cash machine is nothing to do with them ( LOVELY ATTITUDE )
I am still waiting for it to be returned to my account luckily it was a couple of hundread pounds of their currency not english pounds (I live in hope)
My children were ordered to take off their tee shirts(It was around 130 every day) while in the pool no explanation I was just told get them off or stay out of pool
I went all inclusive and am a traveller so accept that the food can be non familiar and varied however if i had not ordered the children macdonalds and took them out of the complex to eat a few times they would of been living on rice and plain pasta. The rooms are basic considering the outside and reception of the hotel (dont judge a book by its cover)Some of the staff dont speak any english and the hotel caters for germans russians and italians I saw alot of the talent competitions the English seemed to be excluded . I will finish by adding i am not a complainer and negative comments are not something i have ever had to write about any holiday i have been on however i feel it my duty to inform you to steer clear of this hotel,especially if you have children I am disapointed by the whole experience the hotel, staff food and the accomodation It was not a cheap holiday and i feel robbed However it was not my first time to egypt and i know there are lovely hotels however first timers to egypt could be put off by this hotel
Take my advice dont go there

• Travel date: Thu 29th of July 2010

Really nice!

Reviewed Mon 21st of June 2010

"We went in late feb 2010, the weather was fantastic, although a little windy at times, ours was the first drop off from the airport, so id say its probably only 10 mins transfer time, we were a little confused when we booked in, as the staff just tell you to leave your luggage for them to take to your room, however, we sat in the bar for over an hour and we still ended up taking our own bags up! The rooms are very very clean an spacious, and are cleaned on a daily basis, we even had towel animals left on the end of our bed which was lovely! We upgraded to a sea view room which was amazing, and only cost an extra £50 for the whole week when we got there. There is a great selection of food, which my other half took full advantage of, and each night has a different theme. There wasnt alot of entertainment at the time we went, but it was out of season, and there isnt anything outside the hotel unless you get the shuttlebus to Nama Bay where there is lots to do. The private beach is wonderful, with sunbeds, parasols and wind breakers, and where do i start with how amazing the snorkeling is! it was the first time for both of us, and since then we have decided that wherever we go next time, it must have a sea fit for snorkeling!! Overall we had a wonderful time, a week was long enough off season though as we did tend to run out of things to do apart from drink and sunbathe!! I would def recommend this holiday, not so much for kids though! Oh and the pool was freezing!!"

• Travel date: Sun 20th of June 2010

Well recomended! Fantastic hotel.

Reviewed Thu 12th of November 2009

"Well, where do I start!!! Ignore all of the bad reports you get on this hotel, as the only problems for me was the ice cream wasn't free and the all inclusive finished at 11pm. No big deal though. There was a wide range of food every day, with themed nights, such as italian night, mexican night, oriental night..... If thats not your taste then there is pasta, vegtables and much more. There is a japanese restraunt if that is anyones taste. But you will have to pay only a small price.

The rooms are cleaned very well every day with clean towels, and as there are loads of mosquitos, the cleaners leave mosquito paper, or a plug in mosquito freshner which keeps the mosquitos away. They make crocodiles and swans and lots of things out of towels with flowers and all sorts. They are fantastic. The rooms are rather dark but we only really used them for sleeping and showering. Massive bathroom and wardrobes and plenty of room to sleep. pleanty of space. lovely.

The staff are lovely with a smile on their face all the time. Always there to help you.

If you go all inclusive then you can use any of the facilities at all three hotels (Sea life, Sea club and Sea gardens) for free.

The pools are big and very clean. There are snacks after dinner and at dinner time there is burgers and hotdogs with chips. Or if you get bored of the pool then you can go in the sea and snorkle with fish right near the shore.

I recomend this hotel to anyone who would like a nice relaxing break. "

• Travel date: Wed 11th of November 2009

Sea Life Resort

Reviewed Wed 8th of April 2009

"We loved the hotel and especially the gardens which were beautifully kept. As we had booked two single rooms, we were expecting something the size of a large cupboard but were pleasantly surprised to have a twin room each. These were of a good size although rather dark, which is probably intentional in view of the extreme heat in summer, in March they tended to be e bit gloomy. However, we were hardly there except to sleep and change so no problem really. The staff were absolutely marvellous, I have never been so pampered. Nothing was too much trouble for them and they had the most wonderful sense of humour; it was such a pleasure to be greeted by happy smiling faces every day although, by the end, I could feel my face aching a bit from responding. The food was very good, you could not complain about the vast selection available especially of breads and puds while the Chef carved veg into amazing plants, flowers and fish. You could actually eat and drink all day if you so wanted. Every night of the week was a different themed dinner and the waiters dressed up in appropriate costumes. There were three hotels on site and you could eat at any of them all though we were a bit lazy and didn't bother.
In the evenings in our hotel we had live music on the Terrace from various performers but our favourite was the singer. The Animation team (I love you all) put on performances in the open air theatre(I can especially recommend the Fire Show).
As far as tipping is concerned, there were tip boxes everywhere but it was your choice to tip or not to tip. I would recommend taking a lot of £1 or 1 euro coins since it was very difficult to get small denomination Egyptian pounds and some were very grubby.
On the negative side, we both had 'gyppy tummies' which the hotel pharmacist dealt with, to some extent and at some expense, he was saving up for a Nile cruise and he should certainly have enough money soon. It was very difficult to swim from the beach since we were inside the reef and the water was usually too shallow and full of rocks, I think three strokes in either direction was all I managed before grounding and a couple of people scraped themselves quite badly on the rocks. If you were a good swimmer of course you could swim and snorkel from the jetty just beyond the reef and you could also see a lot of fish just from the jetty, they also came over the reef and you could stand in the sea amongst the most beautiful varieties. The beaches were pretty grotty, and gritty, although with plenty of sunbeds and windbreaks which came in handy for the last three days when there seemed to be a permanent howling gale although it was still sunny. The pool however was excellent and very clean and there were activities of all kinds available, the Animation Team was excellent especially since they had to deal with Italian, Russian, German and English (although not many of us). One of my happiest moments was sunbathing by the pool listening to Kareem shouting 'Beach Volleyball' in at least four languages, and thinking 'not likely, I don't have to do anything' and you don't, unless you are so inclined. We went on a trip to Luxor, flying at 0600hrs and arriving back about 21.30, a very long day but well worth it (about £160) since we saw the Valley of the Kings, Colossi of Memnon, Temple of Queen Hatshepsut, Habu, Karnak and Luxor temples before collapsing in a heap in the Mercure hotel in Luxor and telling Tony our guide that that was definitely IT - a wonderful day to remember. A wonderful holiday to remember especially because of the friendliness of all the Egyptian people we met."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of April 2009

Mrs C R Watson

Reviewed Fri 3rd of April 2009

"Overall I will rate this holiday a seven and I'm being fair. I stayed at the resort with my husband for a week and apart for the beach and hotel grounds there is nothing really interesting to say about the complex. The staff when they are not trying to flog you something they can be genuinely friendly. There are alot of Germans and Italians staying at the resort and the management and staff are really catering to their needs and do not really understand what us Brits enjoy, but they do try.

Two days before I left Egypt I got a stomach bug and am still suffering with it since I've been home, not sure what caused it but think it was the food. The food is bland and again aimed at the european market and it would have been nice to try some egyptian cuisine, but this was not forthcoming and overall I felt this was the problem I didn't feel I was staying in Egypt. The hotel did not promote their culture enough and I could have been staying at any hotel resort in any part of the world. "

• Travel date: Wed 1st of April 2009

great break

Reviewed Wed 4th of March 2009

"Just come back from Sea life, had mixed feelings before going having read several reviews. We found the rooms clean, food good, staff extremely hard working. Drinks were plentiful, although did think it would have been nice to have a kettle in the room. Rooms air conditioning good, showers hot, fridge, beds comfortable.

don't really need to bother with the egyptian pound they seemed to like euro's and English pounds better.

Went on shuttle bus to Nanba Bay, you need to haggle, offer half the asking price, you can get some good bargains but be careful as they try all ways to get you into there shops.

Went on trip to St Catherines and the burning bush, also to Dahb enjoyed the trip through desert but quite a long day with no offer of refreshment on way except for a stop at a garage for some awful coffee, which you had to pay for.

We found the animation team friendly and quite lively, shows ok but could have been better and not alot of English people ut they tried really hard to make us feel welcome.

Food good, plenty of choice, themed nights and then you could for a few extra euro's go into one of the other restaurants, we went into the Japenese which was well worth the visit. One evening we went into the sister hotel Sea Club to eat and this was exceptional.

The only real moan is I think they should have served drinks until midnight.

All in all very enjoyable and yes we would go back again, possibly trying the sister hotel Sea club."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of March 2009

Good value for money

Reviewed Mon 9th of February 2009

"My wife and I have just returned from a two week all inclusive holiday at Sea Life we had a really enjoyable time. The weather was great particularly when we saw the snow back home on CNN. We were just there to chill out and spent most days on the beach and in the sea. It's on a coral reef and you can walk out for a long way with the water just up to your knees. Lots of exotic fish swim around your legs, if you like to snorkel you can't go wrong. The sea bed is a bit rough so we'd advise taking some water shoes, The man on the beach with a camel was great, he never asked us for money to photograph the camel he also gave people free rides but you can tip if you like or just give the camel a couple of oranges which it seems to enjoy. The rooms have single beds and although we prefer a double they're fine and cleaned every day. The grounds of this complex are beautifully maintained with lovely lawns and flowers, great by the pool too and you can also use the facilities of the Sea Club resort next door.

The restaurant and buffet is okay there is always enough choice to ensure you can enjoy something to eat and the dessert display is good. All the staff are very friendly and we would particularly mention Abrahim the restaurant manager who is always there to greet you and show you to a table. He is very nice and extremely attentive and concerned that you have a good time. Similarly the drinks waiters are always running around so ordering a drink is quick and easy.

We took the courtesy bus into Naama Bay you get a ticket at reception which tells you which return bus to catch since places are limited. The problem is that some people think they can catch any bus back and it becomes s bit of a free for all to get your seat, they need to get a bit stricter with this.

All in all we enjoyed it very much, it was nice to have a bit of winter sun just a five hour flight away, it represented exceptionally good value and we will certainly go back again."

• Travel date: Mon 9th of February 2009

We booked this resort for our Honeymoon...

Reviewed Tue 7th of October 2008

"We booked this resort for our Honeymoon - what a mistake.
It is in the brochure as a 4* All Inclusive - nonsense!!
I wouldn't rate it much past a 3*. Although the rooms and complex is spotless, the rooms are tired and very basic - not what we expected at all. We upgraded to the VIP package and had to chase reception constantly to get the things we were entitled to - stocked mini bar (on arrival had 1 bottle of water!) Bath robes were taken away after the 1st day and never replaced, Sea view room - OK if you looked hard left and cricked your neck - and a basket of rotten fruit in the room on arrival - lovely!
The food was terrible - in fact my hubby got food poisoning and was ill for the best part of 8 days - all the food was either too salty or too bland. As for the "turd" burgers at the pool for lunch - eeeewwww - my dogs eat better quality meat!
Advertised as an all inclusive.....RUBBISH - be prepared to pay for anything decent - drinks, snacks, ice creams etc all come at a premium. AI doesn't start till 9am so you have to buy water etc if you are going on an early trip (get it the night before & put it in your fridge - that's if your fridge works - ours didn't!!) and it finishes at 11pm - mind you the entertainment is so crap you will be in bed by 10pm anyway!!
Entertainment....well what can I say - 4 girls dancing around in the dark on the stage...fantastic (I am being sarky!)

Overall we made the best of what we had but certainly would not got back or recommend it to anyone....not the honeymoon we expected at all - in fact we need another one to get over this experience!

• Travel date: Tue 7th of October 2008

Hotels near Charmillion Sea Life Resort

Top traveller tips for Charmillion Sea Life Resort

• Mrs. Watson by Mrs. Watson

"Recommend Lebonese restaurant on site which have romantic evening for couples which is inexpensive. "

• loveholidays by loveholidays

"I would not return on a freebie "

• The Nugent Family by The Nugent Family

"Excellent hotel and staff,I would definately return to this hotel "

• Claire from Seaton Delaval by Claire from Seaton Delaval

"just go with a open mind "

• Catlover by Catlover

"Do not go to this hotel "

Charmillion Sea Life Resort is also called