fantastic

Reviewed Thu 24th of September 2009

"hi i can recomend this hotel to anyone ,food great ,accomadation,well i didnt like the room they gave us so i asked to be moved ,no problem they were falling over themselves to make sure we were happy,staff ,i cant fault them,but dont forget to tip,just a few pounds,it works wonders,a must is the seafood restraunt on the beach,yes there is a beach a long sandy one,ahmed is beach bar manager hes brill a good laugh,the rest of the staff are brill too,my hubby and i had a fantastic holiday,this was our third time in egypt,the jaz next door is highly recomended too."

• Travel date: Thu 24th of September 2009

great holiday

Reviewed Mon 21st of September 2009

"Just arrived back from the Albatros, what a great hotel, the staff are fantastic and so friendly. My partner and I had a room overlooking the beach which was in a great position and adequate. The beach was very busy however every day the attendant always found us beds and parasol. The best thing we bought were beach shoes to wlk in the sea to look at all the fab fish and coral, we didnt bother snorkle the water was crystal clear. we went out on a speed boat for hour highly reccomended.
Food was excellant with several restaurants to choose from you can pick from any of them at one sitting.
The only problem we found was with the russians they are so rude, greedy and in your face.
Ignore them and go and enjoy"

• Travel date: Fri 18th of September 2009

the staff makes the place!!!

Reviewed Thu 10th of September 2009

"got back from this place on Monday. My husband, 2 kids aged 7 & 4 and myself did have a good time, but not a great time. We had some niggles, mainly with the sunbeds..you had to get up mega early if you wanted a good sunbed position especailly if you have kids In the peak summer hols, there weren't enough, so we put our towels on the grass, only to be told we couldn't!!!..Some people we spoke to, were getting up at 5/6am for a sunbed!!!madness... Then the food wasn't that brill..The breakfast and lunch in the italian restuarant were fab, the other 2 resturants were poor, but come the evening it was the same old thing...The entertainment was ok, but not brill.The camel rides were a complete rip off and if you are thinking of riding any of their horses, forget it...they are in such bad conditions, I felt completely sorry for them... The beach was fab and the snorkelling was brill...

What made this place was the staff, from the reception guys to the cleaners.,The bar staff especially Mario and Salah were wonderful..Sherif who sells you tours and excersions to you wasn't pushy. He had always time to talk you,even if you didn't want to book anything. We did and had a fab time. The rooms were always clean and very tidy. The hotel needs to be updated, but I'm not rushing to going back thou...The airport when going home was a nightmare, make sure you leave in plenty of time...took ages to get through. We are going to try Taba next...heard that was a better place go..."

• Travel date: Wed 9th of September 2009

VERY GOOD HOLIDAY

Reviewed Wed 22nd of July 2009

"Just got bck from this hotel , I had read reviews and some were off putting . But it was a really good holiday the hotel was great , Staff fab and also the food was great, im normally ill when i go way i wasnt, the jetty was ideal and the snorkelling , My partner and daughter went on the quad bikes they enjoyed it and said ash was great. We are hoping to go back next year with all the family. The only bad thing was the departure home monarch forgot to load the meal on the plain! The egyptian people were so friendly and polite, "

• Travel date: Sat 18th of July 2009

To many perfectionist

Reviewed Mon 18th of May 2009

"When reading the reviews about this resort I was a little bit worried but when I arrived I was more than impressed.
I think some people just like to moan to much and nit pick.

Just got back today from Royal Albatros it was fantastic no complains at all the room was cleaned everyday with bottles of water put in the fridge.
You have a large selection of food from hot or cold remember its a different country you are in so the cooking is not the same as in your own but its is still very good.
Plenty of sunbeds around the pool
The weather was spot on.
Didnt go to Nambay heard to many stories about the hassles from the locals.
Went to Luxor to see the Valley of the KIngs which is brillant.
I would go back again I think this hotel is very under rated by other reviews which I have read about before going.
I would class this as a 4 to 5 star

• Travel date: Sun 17th of May 2009

V.good hotel bur detail could be better.

Reviewed Tue 12th of May 2009

"I was here for 10 nights and although there are some small niggles with hotel (e.g.decoration and little dowdy in places and disabled access generally poor)I would recommend it thoroughly.
Food is always a vital ingredient for a successful holiday at this hotel serves plenty of well-cooked food, mainly buffet-syle, both hot and cold. At each of the three servings there is also a variety of freshly cooked food available, e.g. pancakes and omelettes at breakfast, fish and fried chicken at lunch times and also freshly cooked pasta. You'd have to be very picky not to fins something which you liked for each meal each day and standards of hygiene for prep and service were exemplary. I would be wary of the ice cream at the beach bar however; I don't think standards of hygiene were quite as high here.
Rooms are spacious and serviced daily but do be aware that the hot water gets very hot very quickly and it would be possible to get burned. had a couple of maintenance problems, once with aircon, but they were sorted out very quickly.
Entertainment would be best described as rudimentary but they did try.Wild horses though, would not get me back to the 'comedy' show.
The staff could not be more obliging and helpful; be polite to them ( and tip for good service) and they will be polite to you.
The beach isn't great; the sand is gritty and it may be handmade but the walk out from the beach is shallow for several hundred yards and you will see small fish even on a paddle. Out at the end of the jetty the swell can be quite high so be careful if snokelling.
Be aware that the free bus into Naama bay is only free once a day, and that is at the hottest time; evenings, it's 5E per person return. It can also be breezy in the morning and althohg this makes yr skin feel cool the sun is, nonetheless, hot and unles you use plenty of cream you will burn.
All in all, had a great time and would certainly go back."

• Travel date: Fri 8th of May 2009

40th birthday

Reviewed Thu 7th of May 2009

"what a fantastic holiday and this hotel made it so, we took my wife and her twin sister here for there 40th birthday with three kids age 6 .7 and 14. we could not have asked for a better place hotel was spotless food was excellent huge choice and allways hot and fresh kids and adult entertainment all day and night with four pools five resteraunts i can only say brilliant cant wait for next time"

• Travel date: Thu 7th of May 2009

See review before booking

Reviewed Wed 29th of April 2009

"Booked this hotel for 5 nights to spend with my 75 Years old disable mother, sister and a 9 years old niece. (4 persons in total).
I could not wait to hit the beach after a year long of very hard work in England.
Arrived to find out that the room has only 2 single beds although I booked and paid for a family room of 4!
Spoke to reception and Med hotels rep. but nothing could be done a part from adding an extra bed inside the already small room. My niece slept with my sister in her bed.
It was difficult to get hold of the hotel manager during the first couple of days. To make it worse, the hotel had NO sandy beach. In fact any beach! I was / still extremely angry, upset and disappointed at the way this hotel is advertised. If you are after a sandy relaxing sea view or a good swim, FORGET IT! You will only find some pools mainly for kids.
It was very hard for my Mom to move around. No disability access or facilities are offered.
Third day managed to get hold of the hotel manager Mr. Mahmoud Ragab. Spoke to him and explained the situation, Mr. Ragab was pleasant and very kind. He offered couple of really good entertainments within Sharm as a gesture of goodwill, also offered his own car and driver for dropping and picking us up. I really thank him for his hard trying to make our holiday enjoyable.
This hotel had very good chiefs; food was always fresh, clean, plenty and well cooked. Different varieties of food almost every night. Staff working endlessly smiling and friendly.
We really enjoyed the great (Mido) who did the amazing Tanoora dancing at night entertainment.
I can see good management within the restaurants staff, room cleaning staff and animation staff, but not the reception’s.
Upon departure, we were held and delayed for almost half an hour at the reception as there was a mug missing from our room. There were at least 7 members of staff standing at the front desk looking at us as we were criminals. The basic looking mug was later found hen my Mom mentioned using the mug as a vase for some flowers. I have to pay an extra 30 Egyptian pounds for the waiting taxi!
Although, just returned to England, I am now looking to book a few days holiday at a sandy beach in order to recover from this unpleasant experience.
I would love to go back to this hotel if the above problems do not exist.

• Travel date: Tue 28th of April 2009

Sun, Sea and Food...Go for it!

Reviewed Sat 18th of April 2009

"Please be aware the hotel is by no means 5*! When booking I checked out all the reviews on here and thought how bad can it be? Being a young couple not that well travelled I thought that we would welcome the pleasant break and sunshine and that all other things would not bother us too much.

However, when we arrived at the airport our transfers had not been booked (fault of internet traveller) and then when at the hotel we were told that there was no space for us and that we would need to be transferred to another hotel 30 mins away. The new hotel (Park Aqua) was much better than the one we had paid to stay in, although we did not that at the time...

The transfers that were booked the next morning to take us to our original hotel took about an hour longer than we were infomed...pls remember we were still waiting to start our holiday in the place we had paid to stay!

Upon arrival at the Royal Moderna Hotel we were shown our rooms (remember to tip - 5 Egyptian pounds should do it) which although had all the essentials required was not of a great standard with somethings broken (e.g. the toilet) and marked (e.g. burns on the bath). Many days we found large ants in our rooms and the wind blowing through the corridors on some evenings made it difficult to sleep.

The trips that we went on also came with their own problems;see below for an overview of these:

Cleo Water Park - Great for young kids, egyptian themed, some entertainment, rubbish food (very unhealthy - take own packed lunch if poss). Older kids and grown ups likely to be disappointed.

Cairo Trip - took the bus option - not so wise, took two hours longer than the 6 that we were told on a bus that bounced the entire way there. Sleeping on the bus was not really an option. The most important thing I would like you to take from the whole reveiw is, if you go outside the hotel...BE AWARE OF THE TOILETS!!!! They are DISGUISTING! The toilets are very old, you are lucky if they flush, have running water and in luxury if they have any form of handwash or toilet roll. On top of that experience you will find that for many of them you have to pay for THAT privelege (1 Egyptian pound will suffice).

Cairo itself was a poor place with slums upon slums, it was very sad to see. The driving conditions are horrendous and drivers do not understand the concept of lanes. Very scary when sat at the back of a bus surrounded by angry drivers.

The Pyramids and Sphinx - Awesome to see, but no effort made to make the experience pleasant for tourists. The place is surrounded by litter and waste, egyptians try to sell you things at every step, men on camels offer a photo opportunity and after will ask for tips, even the police men are offering to take pictures and then asking for money. Be careful not to get cornered, it can be very intimidating.

Ras Mohammed Boat Trip - Taken out on a boat on a very windy day, we had expected that it would be cancelled. It was not and when we got out into the open sea the waves were terrible and 4 people were throwing up over the side of the boat. Divers and snorkellers were dropped off and as they attempted to get back on the boat the waves made things very difficult. My boyfriend got sucked under the boat by a wave and only due to the fact that he is a good swimmer he made it out from there. The lagoon we went to and other place was beautiful and the snorkellers saw many beautiful fish. PS - The snorkels provided were used and unwashed-buy your own before you go!!!

After our trip experiences we decided enough was enough and to lounge around the pool. This was much more calming and although people come up and try to sell you newspapers, beauty treatments, massages, boat trips etc it was much better than any of our days out. The pool is freezing, but once you get in, not that bad and would probably warm up in the warmer months.

The hotel food was quite good, really good choice at every meal time and some times extras throughout the days such as pancakes and icecreams (well, its like icecream)

Swimming off the jetty was amazing, better than the boat trip and you can usually see some fish without even getting your feet wet.Again, you can hire snorkels but they are not cleaned so prob best to buy your own.

Be aware that if you are planning to stay only in Sharm El Sheikh then you do not need to pay for visas (Say 'Sinau only'), however, we did this and then changed our minds to going to Cairo. We then had to go on a special trip to the airposrt to get them. This was very daunting as we were told to follow the egyptian staff around into various offices and once it had been seen, signed and obtained we had to slyly tip the guard to get our passports back. With tipping him and the taxi tipping it worked out a lot more expensive than getting the visa in the first place!

On a final note, would I go again? Not if I can help it. If you are looking for challenges and adventure or a hotel/sun/sea hol then go for it.

• Travel date: Sat 18th of April 2009

Reviewed Wed 11th of March 2009

"We arrived early in the afternoon and were checked into a brilliant large room with 3 double beds-2 adults 2 kids.we had a pool view and a large balcony and are defiantly going back this yr 09. "

• Travel date: Tue 10th of March 2009

Great holiday!!

Reviewed Sat 21st of February 2009

"Just got back from this hotel last week and would go back tomorrow if we could. The hotel itself is a bit tired and could probably use some upgrading but don't go looking for 5* and you won't be disappointed. The hotels grading is based on facilities not quality and they do have everything that you would need to make your holiday complete. Beach, bars, good food, excellent service, clean rooms and excellent staff.

When we arrived we were put in room 822 which was located next to the construction work and our outlook was the hotel being built opposite. We were a bit disappointed and went to ask if we could be moved, which they arranged the next day for us no problem. They moved us to the other side of the hotel which was a lot quieter and the room was huge!! What more could you ask for!!

The food was really good, plenty of choice although if you go for two weeks you will have the same food for the second week. This is the same as the evening entertainment which was probably the only bad thing about this hotel. The animation team tried very hard but their shows were dire. At 3pm every afternoon they started the music blaring at the pool and tried to get all the bathers up to join in their efforts, not good!!

The beach is lovely and if you tip the guy at the towel hut he will escort you to a good sunbed, which they reserve for good tippers, he will lay your bed in the right direction for the sun and even lay your towel. We only tipped him one morning and didn't do it the next time we went and so ended up at the opposite end of the beach on some crappy beds. You do get bothered by the guys selling stuff on the beach but remember this is the only way they make there money and the credit chrisis is affecting them just as much as us. The hotels are all inclusive so no one is spending money if they didn't try to sell to us they would be out of a job!! You have the right to say no but don't be rude ~ they will often just stop for a chat. The biggest pain is the photographer, he stands at the bottom of the steps leading to the dining room (the only entrance) and flashes his camera at you no matter what you say. Best thing to do is put your hand in front of your face or spilt up with your partner and walk round him. We saw some Russian girls getting hassled on the beach by him and they stuck their camera in his face and that was the end of that!!

If you are a snorkler or diver then do the Tiran trip but don't go if not!! We went and felt completely ripped off cos we are not strong swimmers and the reef we went to was a good 150m from the boat. At one point the boat had two other boats tied to it so the swim would have been even longer. they tell you that the trip starts at 7.30 and ends at 6.30, rubbish, we got on the boat at 9.00 and was back at the hotel at 4.30. I did complain to Sam at the diving centre and then we spoke to the master diver who explained that he had to take the divers to the good diving areas and couldnt cater for everyone. However they were very nice and offered to take me and my partner on a dive the next day to Ras Mohammed, free. We declined because we had booked the Quad trip, which I definitely recommend to everyone. What an experience!! We went about 15k into the desert and met a bedoin tribe, there was drinks offered which were expensive but you didn't have to buy them. we were videod throughout the trip and offered the DVD for £15, which we haggled him down to. Beware though because we were scammed!! Not by the company making the DVD's, someone was waiting in the lobby of our hotel with a DVD but when we finally got a look at it it was empty. But we went to see Sam at the diving centre and he sorted it all out for us and got our DVD, which did work. Book your trips through the guys on the beach and if anything goes wrong they will do everything within their power to sort it out for you. Better the devil you know!!!

The hotel doesn't have a good shuttle service, three small shuttles buses a day for a hotel with 450 rooms isn't good. The first one to Old Sharm is 5 euros return and the next to Naama Bay is free, the next one to Naama bay is also 5 euros. I think there should have been free services and more frequent. If you want the free shuttle book well in advance cos we went on the Wednesday and it was booked up until the Saturday. Beware though the driving is not for the faint hearted, I couldnt look, seems there arent any rules to driving. The roads have two lanes but some how they drive three in a row and over take where ever they want. OMG was I scared!!

This review sounds a bit moany but I can assure you it isn't. Like I said we would go back and will. We went on our own this time but are now planning to go back with our kids in April next year. And we cant wait.

Just don't go with high expectations and you won't be disappointed. If it is your first time to Egypt as it was ours you will come home with wonderful memories. I am sure there are far better hotels but we now know this one and would and have no hesitation booking there again.

Just one last thing the hotel is made up mainly of Russians and Germans but just stay out of their way and they will stay out of yours. We met a lovely German couple and swapped contact details so they aren't all alike!!

Have a great holiday

PS Go see Mohammed at the diving centre and Mohammed the waiter in the lounge bar they are lovely people.

• Travel date: Sat 21st of February 2009

A great hotel!!!

Reviewed Sun 15th of February 2009

"Just arrived home from a fantastic holiday!!!
would recommend this hotel to anyone!!! we went 3 women for a relaxing week in the sun and that is what we got!!! arrived at the hotel at about 8pm and were very impressed with our first views of the hotel! the reception was very impressive!! and the staff were very helpful arranging for our cases to be brought to our room!! our room was very nice, plenty of room with comfy beds and clean bedding and towels daily... the bathroom could do with a makeover... lets the room down slightly!!
our rooms were always spotless!! and the maid was very friendly.. arranging our toiletries neatly and making patterns from our PJs!! one day they even made a crocodile out of bedding and towels... it was amazing!!! bottled water was left daily!!
we were impressed with the food in the hotel and the large choices!! the waiters were really friendly and tidied the tables very quickly!!!
we spent the mornings around the pool and found we were hassled alot!! the animation team were constantly pestering and so were staff from the hairdressers and the massage place!! we were not aware that if you went around the relaxation pool the animation people ect were not allowed down there!!! the pool bar could do with refurbishing but the beach bar was excellent for food at lunch time.. pizza, chips, sandwiches and icecream!!! snorkelling from the jetty was brilliant!! you see loads of lovely fish... amazing colours!! would definetly recommend takin a snorkel!! the staff in the bar upstairs were really friendly!!! especially eddie murphy!!! his dancing was hilarious.. really entertaining!! the only other entertainment we saw was the singer in the bar!! if you can call him a singer... after a few vodkas he soon improved.. and encouraged people to dance!!! we caught the shuttle bus to narma bay!! and our experience was NOT good!! as 3 females we seemed to attract the attention of all the shopkeepers!!! hassled constantly so we spent most of the time in the hard rock cafe!! felt very relieved to be back in the hotel!!
overall had a really good time!!! would recommend this hotel to anyone!!! weather was red hot.. even in feb!! will definetly be back!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 15th of February 2009