I have just returned from a week’s hol...

Reviewed Sat 31st of July 2004

"I have just returned from a week’s holiday at this hotel and can honestly say that I am greatly relieved we were not there for two weeks. I went with my husband and mother-in-law who is in her 70’s. We wanted a relaxing all inclusive beach holiday as my mother-in-law is not very agile so we needed everything on site.

Firstly, the hotel caters for Italians and Germans rather than English. The entertainments team is made up exclusively of Italians and Germans and we were assaulted all day with loud music blaring out from two huge speakers, interspersed with mainly Italian commentary - not very restful as you can imagine.

This paled into insignificance though, when we then experienced the cuisine. The food was overcooked, dried up and tasteless. The meat and fish were like leather and just tasted of nothing. The desserts were also tasteless. As if this was not bad enough, after four days at the hotel, we became very ill with high temperatures and shivering coupled with chronic diarrhoea. I contracted it first and my husband the day after that. The high temperature abated overnight but the diarrhoea raged on. I called the on-site doctor to come and visit my husband as I seemed to be improving (or so I thought). When the doctor came to our room, he put my husband on a drip for two hours to replace some of the fluids/salt/glucose he had lost. My mother-in-law also suffered from the diarrhoea symptoms but fortunately did not get the temperature. When I asked the doctor what could be causing these symptoms and, incidentally, there were many other guests as the hotel suffering these symptoms, the reply was a combination of the hot sun and air conditioning. We have been on many holidays abroad, in the Med and the Caribbean, also to Mauritius and the Maldives on cruises where the air conditioning is quite fierce and we have never experienced anything like this. That excuse was nonsense. In fact, the doctor even wrote on his bill to us that we he had treated my husband for acute gastroenteritis. At least he got this bit right as when we visited our own GP yesterday this was also his conclusion but almost certainly brought by something we had either eaten or drank.

Needless to say, this was definitely a holiday from hell for us. I am off work at present still trying to get over this illness. It is a great shame that the management have let this spoil what is otherwise a beautiful hotel, the grounds are lovely and tended constantly and the rooms are huge and very well appointed. However, it is quite remote, in an area that is still being developed. This means you have no alternative but to stay in the hotel and use their facilities - not usually a problem if the food is edible.

So, in conclusion, I cannot stress strongly enough that you should not book a holiday at this hotel unless you want to end up being seriously ill - it should carry a government health warning!!"

• Travel date: Sat 31st of July 2004

Young couple, no kids - stayed at the Ro...

Reviewed Sat 31st of July 2004

"Young couple, no kids - stayed at the Royal Moderna for 14 nights - Aug/Sept 2004.

The hotel was classed as a 5 star hotel, however we thought it was more of a 4 star. The hotel is very well run, and the staff work exceptionally hard to keep everything clean and tidy. Three nice pools - one massive active one, one quieter with bridges and a small hidden one!!

We found that the majority of guests were Italian and the restaurants and entertainment were geared up for them.

In the main restaurant, we found that the food seemed to be the same each night, despite special theme nights and the A la Carte menu (payable) was a disappointment. The best food we had was at the beach bar at lunchtime, where the food was freshly cooked.

The beach was lovely - mainly fragments of coral and shells.

The best time to snorkel to the shipwreck is after 6pm when the sea becomes a millpond. Great snorkelling at the beach round the corner (by free hotel bus). We also went on the Ras Mohammed boat trip which was brilliant.

The trips by plane to Cairo and Luxor are necessary if you are going to Egypt - we thoroughly enjoyed the sights even though it was tiring!!

The downside for us about the hotel was being pestered by the souvenir shops every time you walk through reception - (however, this seems to be the norm in Egypt), the entertainment was non existent for our age group (good if you have children), and the food.

Namma Bay was very busy and we could not wait to get back to the hotel. We just went to the Hard Rock Cafe for drinks and KFC for a change!

However, not a cloud in the sky - nice breeze on the beach and round the pools - not bitten by mozzies but bugged by flies!!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 31st of July 2004

we have just returned from a 14 day stay...

Reviewed Sat 31st of July 2004

"we have just returned from a 14 day stay at the Royal Moderna. I was a little worried before I left after reading the rating of 1/10 that appeared just before I went. however, I need not have worried at all. we had a fantastic time and would definitely return (something I don’t usually agree with as there is so much in the world to see). We actually discussed how anyone could rate this hotel a 1/10 while we were there.

Our room was spacious (two balconies, two bath, two bed, three TV, three fridges) and very clean. the staff replenished fridges every day without fail and room was kept clean and tidy. I have four children so sometimes it was quite messy when we left it but spotless when we returned.

The staff were more than helpful in the hotel and entertainment team superb. evening entertainment was a little amateur and as there are not many English, they didn’t always repeat in English what they were saying.

If I had to grumble about anything, then it would probably be the food. (although my husband will shout now as he thought was great). I struggled a little bit with it and children even more. however, there was always plenty of choice so you could always find something.

Naama bay is an experience. The locals are a little too overpowering and for this reason we only went twice. The heat down there was pretty unbearable too. Kids loved it there as Mac Donald’s was extremely cheap!

Did a day trip on a boat diving, which was fab. All in all it was a fantastic holiday.

Thank you for the tip about taking loo roll to airport. In addition, everyone is right, you can’t avoid the deli-belly that you get. Although, the locals told us that it nothing to do with food, it’s because its so hot and not to drink things too cold. we turned air conditioning down in second week and belly’s improved straight away.

if you are not planning to go to Cairo or anywhere far away then you DO NOT need to buy the visa in the airport!!

also, a taxi will only cost you around 9euros from hotel all the way into Naama bay. not worth the trouble of the hotel bus as very crowded and lot of hassle."

• Travel date: Sat 31st of July 2004

I and my husband just returned from 7 ni...

Reviewed Sat 31st of July 2004

"I and my husband just returned from 7 nights stay in this hotel. Overall, the hotel is very spacious, clean and staff are very helpful.

Majority of guests in this hotel are Italians. For all inclusive package, you can eat in the main restaurant, beach bar and restaurants by the pool. We found the food, in general, slightly overcooked and it got to us at the end.

The beach is quite large and the water is very clear. We had a fantastic time in snorkelling near the jetty.

We also took an excursion trip to Cairo by plane for £130 p.p. It was an early start and with the hot weather, it made the day quite hectic, so be prepared!

The hotel is about half an hour from Naama Bay and can get there by hotel shuttle bus(twice a day). We also found traders in the area very pushy and consequently, we did not enjoy our shopping very much."

• Travel date: Sat 31st of July 2004

The hotel Royal Moderna is absolutely fa...

Reviewed Wed 30th of June 2004

"The hotel Royal Moderna is absolutely fantastic. 4* was completely faultless. The food was good, the pool was fantastic, the largest I’ve ever seen!!. If you’re a beach person you’d be better off in Narma Bay. The beach isn’t very good at this hotel. It’s clean and flat but rather like building sand and gritty. We took a taxi to Narma Bay a couple of evenings and ate there. The food is quite cheap, a three course meal and a couple of beers will cost you around a tenner. Try to avoid July the temperature was around 45 and it’s real hard work when it’s that hot. I would try it again probably in February when it gets cooler."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of June 2004

I really loved it at this hotel. Our roo...

Reviewed Wed 30th of June 2004

"I really loved it at this hotel. Our room was very big and very clean.

What can I say about the staff? They were the nicest friendliest people I have met.

The food was superb.

Its a hotel that caters for all ages entertainment was great with something going off all day.

Its a large complex so is does not feel crowded.

Its all air conditioned which was nice.

Don’t be afraid to go they hate all the bad going on the same as us your welcome will be the friendliest you will ever experience so if you want the best holiday in Sharm go to the Moderna"

• Travel date: Wed 30th of June 2004

This has to be one of the best hotels ev...

Reviewed Wed 30th of June 2004

"This has to be one of the best hotels ever everything was spotlessly clean the food more than great never in all the years of going on holiday have I met such wonderful people the staff really make you more than welcome Mohammad in the upstairs bar made the best cocktails ever if you wanted any thing they would try there best to help so to all the staff from the manager to the barmen to the cleaners and the waiters to the lovely friendly pool staff not forgetting the tattoo man A great big thank you for making our holiday so FAB hope to go again in November."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of June 2004

Excellent new hotel that has only been o...

Reviewed Fri 30th of April 2004

"Excellent new hotel that has only been open for 7 months. Spent a week with kids, who loved the holidays (tears when they departed from the hotel’s entertainment team). Had booked a family room that was spacious, clean and fridge bar refilled promptly. Restaurant offered a superb variety of food. Ice cream was available all day and therefore kids were in heaven with freedom of gaining unlimited soft drinks and ice cream. We used the beach occasionally, as it was v hot. (Kids preferred pool area) private beach is ideal 4 snorkelling and sunbathing with beach restaurant on hand. Facilities overall were v good and is being extended - we were not affected by this as the complex is huge. We found the staff 110%, always on hand and happy see to any requirements. We used Internet cafe occasionally and knew they had a medical clinic on-site. Hotel is located between airport and namma bay that some may find isolated. We used the hotel’s free shuttle service in the evenings to visit central sharm (nama bay), which is the busier & lively area of sharm el shiek. Cost by taxi to nama bay was £5 each way (1/2 hour ride). Old sharm, which is a further 10min taxi ride from nama bay, was better for shopping (half of that in nama bay). Serious shoppers should take an excursion to dahab.

If you are seeking hustle and bustle then this hotel is not for you. It was ideal for us we appreciated the sunbathing, swimming, aqua aerobics, kiddies club and venturing out as & when.

There are plenty of excursions on offer. We undertook Cairo by plane (wouldn’t recommend by coach), a boat trip to Tiran Island, which was fantastic for snorkelling/diving and saw dolphins passing by! And finally 2 hours of quad biking in the desert that was fun. These we booked from a tour operator in Nama bay, which was half the price than booking thru our rep. The service from the local operators was excellent and safe.

overall this hotel served our family needs. Sharm is an area that is still being developed and therefore limited in golden beaches.

We plan to return in a few years to see how this part of sharm will develop into. We did a week with the kids, which was ideal. Those wishing to undertake diving courses or lots of excursions etc, 2 weeks is fine"

• Travel date: Fri 30th of April 2004

Not too far from the centre, great beach...

Reviewed Mon 30th of June 2003

"Not too far from the centre, great beach, food was best we tasted on our two week break.

The head waiter lucky Jamel was great and couldn’t do enough.

Can be too quiet for young people as no mad clubs but beer is surprisingly good.

Our room overlooked the pool which helped with the heat.

You must try scuba at least once it’s amazing."

• Travel date: Mon 30th of June 2003