Renaissance Sharm El Sheikh Golden View Beach Resort

Om El Seid Hill, Sharm El Sheikh Egypt

2067

Great for relaxing

Good

"Was there with family (wife and daughter aged 13) when the terrorist attacks occurred. The hotel is in a fairly secluded place, away from both Old Sharm and Naama Bay, and has decent security checks, which gave us a sense of relative security.

The resort has its own stretch of 300m of terraced beaches, quite nice compared to Sharm standards, with in addition a beautiful and well known coral reef (Om El Sid). Please: pay respect to the reef. Do not attempt to walk over it because by doing so you will damage the corals permanently. The hotel does not have very visible signs to prevent this behaviour, and not all visitors are duly informed in time. There is a floating pier to cross the reef and that is on purpose.

The hotel was presented to us as a 5 star luxury resort, and is probably among the best in Sharm, but be aware that against broader international standards it is probably closer to 4+ star than to 5. Weaknesses include:
- poor maintenance (many details that you would not expect from a hotel that was opened 1.5 years ago, e.g. cracks in tiles and pools, broken showers etc)
- somewhat patchy professionalism among waiters (you can find yourself asking for the same thing 3 or 4 times before your request gets satisfied)

Rooms are decent sized and well appointed. Exterior landscaping is also very nice. Food: good quality and choice, although bear in mind that this is catering for customers from very different places (from Russia to Saudi Arabia to Morocco to Europe to US), so don't expect really much choice unless you are prepared to consider different, e.g. oriental cuisine. Try the Acapulco Joe's restaurant for good seafood and Mexican.

In all, staff are extremely friendly and courteous. Also, extras are reasonable (although not cheap) compared to Western standards.

Not very many activities going on, unless you're a diver (there's a diving center which I find a little expensive). Brief international shows (I've seen Russian, Bedouin) by the poolside restaurant in the evenings.

If you're looking for rest, relaxation and a touch of snorkeling, then you will not regret choosing the Renaissance."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of July 2005

Fantastic Wonderful Glorious Exceptional Holiday !!!

"We have just returned from our two week vacation at the RGV it was the best holiday we have ever had, everything from arriving and booking into the hotel to the exceptional sea view room which was cleaned every day and the fantastic 5 pools plus the red sea and glorious snorkelling and
sea life on your door step. The food was great and the choice you have at
breakfast caters for everyone. The staff are so friendly and helpful every single time you pick up the telephone or go to reception everyone rememmbers your name and room number. We felt perfectly secure and safe at this hotel and if you do not want to eat always at the hotel you can visit nearby restaurants or take a taxi ride into Naama Bay (too busy for us)
anyway it depends what you are looking for. The room was cool and not
noisy at night with breathtaking views everywhere you look.
I cannot tell you enough on how good the service was and how exceptionally kind and polite the staff were our favourites being at the beach and the aqua bar we laughed so much. We prefer a slightly quieter time but whenever you decide to go take the slow Egyptisn pace and the
very hot weather and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy we miss it already."

• Travel date: Sun 24th of July 2005

Fantastic resort!

Good

"My family and i have recently returned from a wonderful stay at R-GVB. I have to say that i was un -sure what to expect as many reviews had stated that this hotel may only be an average 4*, however i feel that these people simply had an 'unlucky stay'. We go on holiday 3 times a year and this can easily bre classed as one of the best 5* i have satyed in.

The hotle has 5 resturants to chose from
1. The coast - this is the international cuisine resturnat. the service is nothing more than ok here but the food is very fresh and high quality. (A 3 course buffet for 4 is £50.00)
2.Il pablo - this is the italian resturant and was in its first day of opertaion when we arrived and had the head chef for marriots there for our week. this was pricey but exceptional. a meal here was around £130.00 but it was worth every penny... very undersold by the tour operators.
There is also a bar type resturant called zin zina which is good for lunch and two others a mexican and an informal resturant which we did not try.

There are three pools to chose from all very clean and warm. Also a small tip for the pool attends per day (i.e £5) will see the same beds reserved for you everyday and fresh towels every coupler of hours. the same can be said for the pool bar staff a small tip and they will bring cold drinks every hour or so (a god send in the imense heat by the way)
Thehotel also has its own man-made beach which again is undersold by the tour operators which is a nice break from the pool.
The spa is supurb my son and i used the steamroom and plunge pool everyday (this is no extra charge) there is also a jucuzzi and sauna.

Overall i had a fantastic stay,staff were wonderful, rooms were spotless and large and its in the 40's everyday!! Bliss!"

• Travel date: Wed 20th of July 2005

excellent place to stay

"stayed here in may 2005 and i dont think you could find better the staff where very good and could not do enough for you the pool boys are good we even shared in the birthday party with one of them they even had time for a game of catch in the pool with us .me and my 16 year old son went quading that was excellent and well sorted my wife did the boat trip toras mo she had never dived before but the dive people sorted her out and she said she would do it again .we ate in the bay most nights and never had any bad meals or upset tummys cant wait to go again hoping begining of next year and will go back to rgv"

• Travel date: Sat 16th of July 2005

Great hotel

"I visited in May 2005 with my wife and 5 year old son. Very few big chain hotels manage to "do it" as far as family holidays are concerned - they are generally good for business trips but I have to take my hat off to Marriot / Renaissance for their exceptional hotel in Sharm.

We were made to feel welcome from the airport pickup and throughout our stay, even to a discretionary late check out on departure and starting with a complimentary snack on arrival as out airline was about 4 hours late meaning a midnight checkin !

Facilities were good with 4 pools and the superb Red Sea on your doorstep.

I did not want a hotel with faked "entertainment" crooing out bad renditions of alleged "hits" for the typical crowd of loutish all inclusive people it normally entails and so chose this hotel as I use Marriot for business travel wherever possible as you know what you get regardless of city. It was everything we wanted and more. Helpful staff, great selection of food and poolside attendance you would expect for a more exclusive boutique hotel and more cash!

The Rotunda Bar is a great place to watch the myriad of colours paint countless scapes on the distant island and the ocean as the sun sets behind you.

With a choice of 4 or was it 5 pools including a swim up bar and beach bar there's enough to suit any appetite. The sounds of quiet piano music ala Jamie Cullum or some soft jazz from Michael Buble round the Aqua Bar over a beer (frosted glass) and light lunch was a refreshing change from other hotels I have stayed in.

The Mexican Restaurant was great but to be honest, there's such a choice and rotation of themes and menus in all the restaurants even in a week you dont get bored and if you fancy it nearby Naama Bay has Pizza hut, Hard Rock, KFC and the usual fare and is worth a visit even if it only makes you want to get back to the sanctuary of the hotel. For wine buffs, expect to shell out well over the odds for imported wine from Chile, however local wine is ok after the second bottle I am told but never ventured more than a few glasses. Mind you that's more down to local regs than the otel as we heard the same from guests at other hotels and there's plenty of choice in beers / spirits and other drinks. Dont miss a hukkah (hubbly bubbly pipe) round the poolside of an evening or the lunch BBQ or the Seafood day - all fresh !

A Budget Cars taxi booking service is next to the concierge and not mcuh more than the local taxis but a far safer and comfortable ride given the standard of local taxis and drivers.

The rooms are spacious, cool, well equipped (even a microwave and washer dryer if reguired) and well serviced. Big beds were great and the kid slept on a sofa bed in the living room and even that was turned down every day with a little choc gift at night.

The Kids Club can do with a bit more creativity though the staff try hard but saying that it was enough to give us a break now and again so we could enjoy a few hours as a couple which is not easy sometimes.

Overall a very welcoming, great hotel, that delivers exceptional service with high standards and is not over populated.

Take your flippers, goggles, snorkels or diving gear as Sharm has a lot to offer !

As at may 2005 the hotel notices said there as no atm in the hotel, but there was one near the boutiques which was great though be advised to do any withdrawals before 11am as it empties fast.

I would stay there again and am planning my next visit for late 2005 - and yes it looks like the Renaissance sharm el Sheilh again! I dont often revisit the same hotel as I like discovering new sights but this one was an exception."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of July 2005

Loved it!

Good

"My friend and I stayed at the Renaissance for 2 weeks by chance, as there was building work at our original choice (the Intercontinental) and we were pleased that we'd been transferred.

The hotel is located in Sharm, far enough away from the glitz and chintz of Nama Bay, but still close enough if you want to go out to Nama or Old Sharm in the evenings. The beach is very tranquil with no tacky loud music or annoying party organisers shouting on a microphone as there are in other hotels (like at the nearby Hilton Waterfalls), with very helpful beach boys and waiters on hand to take care of us. As the hotel is literally on the reef, access to the sea is by a jetty and full of the most beautiful fish which you can see clearly even without going into the water. The resort has a very professional diving centre that offers diving and snorkelling trips at very reasonable rates. The rooms are clean and comfortable, though you should try to book a sea view room to make the most of it. The hotel has 5 swimming pools and several restaurants and bars. There's also a health club with gym, spa and beauty centre at reasonable rates (although ladies should note that treatments are carried out by a man - even waxing!).

Just a couple of notes: choose carefully when you go - temperatures got up to 45c while we were there in June and do go up to 50c in August, which can be unbearable. Also, many people (staying at various hotels) suffered with a bad belly, be careful what you eat and drink, don't stay out in the heat if you're feeling bad and drink lots of BOTTLED water. The hotel's doctor was at our door within 15 minutes of our call to reception. Don’t bother taking towels, bathroom towels are changed daily and the boys on the beach provide you with new towels every day as well. The hotel also has a cash machine that also exchanges cash. Note that if you’re planning on going to Petra, it can be quite pricey – our tour operator’s trip to Petra cost over 150GBP. Your tour operator will tell you about a duty free shop in Nama – it’s very small and the choice of items small. We also didn’t feel there was much difference in the prices of beauty products.

I would definitely return to Sharm and would stay again at the Renaissance. It's relatively small - compared to the huge hotels we saw and classy. What sets this holiday apart from others I’d had is the level of service we received, nothing was too much trouble and our expectations were exceeded constantly. Every member of staff greets you throughout the day and I hadn’t smiled so much in ages. The staff were genuinely friendly and approachable; if you stay at the Renaissance, you won't be disappointed."

• Travel date: Tue 5th of July 2005

Fantastic!!

"We got back from a 2 week stay at RGV last Tuesday and I couldn't praise the hotel more! It was fantastic. The staff are very friendly and helpful, the hotel its self is magnificent, very clean, the lobby is beautiful, lots of sunbathing areas by pools and even more on the beach terrace. Very clean everywhere and gardeners were constantly working on the grounds outside. Our room was lovely and big and was cleaned and we were provided with fresh towels every day.

We stayed half board and thought the food was excellent. Plenty of choice, salads, veg, fish, meat, lush breads, and if you didnt fancy any of the main dishes there is a pasta station where they will make you any pasta you like! Delicious desserts and lots of fruit too. We absolutly loved it.
The only thing that could have been better was the evening entertainment. This was decent on a couple of occasions but could have been a bit more entertaining the rest of the time! Alcohol was very expensive so half the time we didnt bother staying out for it.

We went on a couple of boat trips via the diving centre on the hotel beach and went scuba diving twice with them. It was fantastic!! The instructors are very helpful and friendly and insure you have a good time.

We also did a day trip to Luxor through our holiday company which cost ��190 each, rather expensive but it was sooooo worth it! Set off at 4.15 am and got back at 8.30 pm. Went to the Valley of the Kings, Queen Hatepshut's temple, boat cruise on the Nile and to Karnak Temple. It was incredible! It's just amazing how the tombs and temples were created such a long time ago, when they had no machines or anything to help them. Fantastic! Our guide Mahmood was a treasure, full of fascinating info and really made us have a special day.

Unfortunately coming home to England we were delayed 18 hours due to technical difficulties on the plane and we were moved to a different hotel overnight - Hilton Waterfalls, next door to RGV. The Hilton wasn't a patch on RGV, room was a lot smaller, as was bathroom, food was no where near as good, service again not as good, and it was full of foreigners, hardly any English people in sight! It made me wonder why it is in our brochures. Never mind!

Anyway, we had such an amazing holiday, I would recommend Egypt and RGV to anyone, the only thing I would say is don't go in our summer as it was extremly hot! About 40 - 45 during the day and not much less at night! And if you do, don't use any less than spf 25 as you will fry without!"

• Travel date: Tue 5th of July 2005

Loved it! Total relaxation!

"What can I say! What a marvellous hotel.

Firstly my partner and I booked for a week, when we got there the room was out of this world! and the staff were fantastic.

We arrived late and room service wasnt a problem, everything was done for you. we hardly went out of the hotel as things are a lot different down Naama Bay. You are hassled from the minute you get there to the minute you leave, there are some beautiful restaurants down there so it does compensate.

We did nothing but relax, and this is a perfect place to do so. We ate in Zinzina quite reguarly and made friends with alot of the staff, and they were fantastic. Egyptian culture is alot different to ours and the pace is alot slower, but that is there way of life and you will never change it and people have to remember that it is a different culture.

We had a sea view room and it was beautiful, and the reef is out of this world. the snorkelling is excellent and my partner was always down there.

ALSO word or warning. the airport is chaos. they will try and get money out of you left right and centre. also the duty free is funny. go and experience it, it is worth a laugh.

Would definately go back and if your going there I wish I was you!"

• Travel date: Sun 26th of June 2005

best holiday ever

"ive just got back on 19th july from the Renaissance Golden View hotel in sharm el sheikh, egypt. I went with two other girl mates and we had a brilliant time. The hotel took a bit of getting used to cos it was more like a setting of a Spanish villa, and so many turnings looked the same, the first night we were there we spent ages walking around and got lost!!! but by the next day we were fine, there is not much of a beach at this hotel, but we didnt mind that we didnt spend much time lounging around. There are five pools, which were of decent size, so we spent time in these mainly. The staff were the best, from the breakfast staff to the on site diving centre guides. I loved it and so did my mates. I would definately go back to this hotel, i am fussy and to be honest i have stayed in better 4* hotels, this was classed as 5* but its not. So if you are looking for superb hotel quality, this may not be the one for you, however hilton waterfalls next door looked amazing. But you cannot beat the staff at the Renaissance, they were lovely.....very funny and kept us entertained!....we've never laughed so much before!

The hotel location is also great as Old Sharm Market is 10 mins away by taxi and Naama bay is 15 mins away, also there are local shops and markets about 10 mins walking distance, so great location!

we are thinking of going back in september cos we loved it so much...and miss the staff! they all took really good care of us!"

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of June 2005

Loved the hotel - shame about the stairs!

Good

"We stayed here for a week (end May/beginning June) and had a fabulous time and would certainly return. We are Marriott members and we had the week on points but paid 25USD per night to upgrade our room to a family suite based on a friend's helpful tip. It was well worth it. I feel that we must have been staying in a different hotel to the one described below.
Our suite was huge - 2 rooms plus very large bathroom. Our two daughters shared a sofabed in the main living room This room had a full kitchen with washing machine, cooker, fridge freezer etc, large TV, dining table and its own patio. My husband and I shared the seperate bedroom which had an enormous king sized bed, tv, patio and sitting area. The bathroom was huge with full tub, large shower, twin sinks, bidet, loo. There was plenty of storage space. THe rooms were spotless and there was certainly no smell or anything to comment on in that direction.
The decoration and the standard of the linens was first class. The only fault I can find is that the joinery below the sinks in the bathroom needed some updating - it had taken a few scratches.
Our rooms overlooked one of the quieter pools and was on the lowest level of the hotel just above the beach. The hotel is built in tiers down the hillside. There are 4 swimming pools, tennis courts and a number of restaurants. The tiering is a problem for anyone with mobility difficulties. It was quite a climb up from our room to the main lobby which is where most of the restaurants and the shops are, and of course quite a climb back down again. The hotel are aware of the problem however - obviously it is a bigger problem for their staff - and they have purchased a fleet of 4 x 4 vehicles to act as shuttles. They had golf carts (still have some) but they broke down due to the heat.
I think most of the criticisms in some of the reports come from a basic infamiliarity with Egypt. You just have to accept that standards of service here - no matter where you stay - are not going to be the same as they are in parts of the Far East or the USA. The staff are very willing and very very friendly and they want to do a good job, but they just don't have that polish and efficiency that comes naturally in other places. Having said that, we received fantastic service from the chaps on the front desk who couldn't have been more helpful when we tried to book the Marriott Bedouin Feast excursion. By the way, we normally avoid such things like the plague but the girls wanted to go and in actual fact it was really good. Held in a very exotically lit desert canyon with a buffet laid on by Marriott and some fantastic dancers etc. Well worth £20 each.

We opted for bed and breakfast. There are so many very good restaurants in Sharm and Naama Bay that it is a bad choice to go for half board. I can't imagine going somewhere and wanting to eat all my meals in the hotel restaurant anyway. Breakfast was buffet and pretty lavish. All sorts of breads, pastries, hot offerings, an omelette/egg chef, cold meats and cheese, cereals, yoghurts and fruit. We thoroughly enjoyed it every morning especially after the heroic mountaineering up the many steps!!!

We ate twice in the buffet in the evening, once on our last night waiting for the airport and once after a very long day out scuba diving when we were just too tired to go anywhere else. There were lots of choices, it seemed pretty fresh, the salads were very good. It was a typical Marriott buffet!!!!

Didn't try the other restaurants other than a snack in the Mexican restaurant that was at beach level near our room. The snacks were very good but it was very odd (only in Egypt!!!!) because they didn't have any tequila and therefore couldn't make Margaritas!.

We are keen divers and we dived with the Dive In centre which is right on the beach in the hotel. They are Italian owned, very friendly and can be thoroughly recommended. It was incredibly easy to kit up in the store, walk 100 yards across the beach, down their inflatable jetty and jump into the water right at the reef drop off. They also run very good daily boat diving and their boat is large and very comfortable.

Again, you need to understand about the beaches in Sharm el Sheikh so you know what to expect. They are all manmade other than the main beach in Naama Bay. All the rest of the hotels have been built on the bluffs stretching out both sides of the bay. The bluffs run down to the top of the reef table which stretches out about 100 yards to the drop off. The hotels imported sand and laid it on the rocky edge of the bluffs where they meet the reef table. Its gritty not white sugar!!! But, lets face it, there are 4 large swimming pools for swimmers. The beach has loungers and chairs but its really there I would suggest for snorkellers and people who want to enjoy the fantastic reef which is right on the doorstep. All of the hotels are the same - I have been visiting Sharm for 20 years. If you want sand stay down in Naama at the Movenpick or the Ghazala or at Shark Bay. But if you stay down there you have the noise and the beach is public.

Naama is a very lively resort full of restaurants, shops, bars, clubs. I would recommend eating at the Indian restaurant in the Camel Hotel, the Lebanese restaurant in front of the Sanafir Hotel, Tam Tams. My favourite restaurant isn't in Naama its in old Sharm el Sheikh. The original town of Sharm el Sheikh is a little further on than Naama when coming from the airport - the Renaissance is actually more or less exactly between Naama and Sharm. They have completely remodelled it now and there are shops and restaurants etc here too - albeit with a more Egyptian flavour than Naama which is truly international. If you like seafood, go to the Sinai Star here. All the taxi drivers know it. There is no printed menu - they will offer you the choice of various mixed platters and then it is cooked as you like. Absolutely brilliant, spotless and as fresh as it comes. We paid £25 for the most enormous seafood feast for 4 including 2 full lobsters, calamari, white fish, king prawns, salad, bread, dips and water. We couldnt eat it all.
A word about the taxi drivers. It costs about £3 to get a taxi down into Sharm from the Renaissance and the taxi drivers are very variable - some of them down right frightening!!! Pay the extra £1 and use the hotel taxi service (via Budget). The chap at the front door calls the cab for you and it will be clean, air conditioned and driven slowly and safely.
The Renaissance was quiet in the evenings when we were there. It didn't matter because we went out every night anyway. We enjoyed cocktails by the pool and a shisha pipe several times but I wouldn't recommend this if you are looking for a rowdy lively time - its a definite chill out place. I didn't use the spa but a friend did and she had massages every day and said they were great.

So, to summarise, we would definitely return here again and we would always pay the very small cost of the suite upgrade. With the suite we got a kettle and so could make tea and coffee. We could also stock the fridge up with cold drinks, although the cost of the hotel ones put into the same fridge were not exorbitant.

Egypt is a bit like Mexico. You have to come with a relaxed attitude and accept that you may have to ask your smiling housekeeper two or three times to get the extra towels and you may get the kettle one day and some cups the day after!!! But - it will all be done with a very charming smile and a very willing attitude, so I find it hard to get angsty about it.

We will definitely come back here again."

• Travel date: Mon 20th of June 2005

DON'T GO!!!

"We booked to stay from the 22/12/12 to 5/1/13 but after the first week we checked out at our own personal expense and into a new hotel for the second week. For the first week ( Xmas week) we spent almost all our time standing at reception and or with the travel rep complaing about things that had broken in our room. Day after day someting would break and the following is just a flavour of what we had to put up with: The toilet broke down three times, the plug was too small for the bath and hence was impossible to have a bath, there was no pressure in the shower and what water there was luke warm at best, the curtain in the room didn't close, the TV remote control didn't work, there was no plug socket which was accessable to the only mirror in the room, the sauna was broken and so it went on....although the hotel did get around to fixing all our problems our first week was ruined and were not prepared to take a chance on staying a second week and moved hotels. As compensation for the what was a ruined xmas the hotel offered us a bowl of fruit!! and a late check out of 6pm as opposed to 12pm - as we had to be at the airport for our flight home at 1pm the offer of a late check out was as useful as a chocolate fireguard and the hotel knew that. Having spent so much time standing at reception i can say we were not the only people who we witnessed other people who were less than happy with this hotel.
The all inclusive package makes you feel very much like a second citizen and the meals are awful."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of January 2013

September 2012 - Fantastic holiday!

"We have just returned from the most fantastic holiday at the Renaissance Golden View Beach Resort. The room was clean and comfortable and the food was fantastic in every restaurant. We went on the All Inclusive package and it was fantastic value for money. All food and drinks free, just ask for the All Inclusive sheet at reception when you get there so you know exactly how works. Treat yourself to a special meal at the Il Palio restaurant though (not included), we had the most beautiful food that evening, best Beef Carpaccio ever tasted! Not much going on outside the hotel, this is a holiday for people who want to chill and relax in beautiful surroundings. Plenty of trips you can go on, and the snorkeling along the coral reef right by the hotel beach is amazing. The staff - where do I start?! How has this hotel managed to recruit such a fantastic team? In every area, from the room cleaner to the GM whom we met, the staff could not be more caring, attentive, friendly and entertaining. Nothing was too much trouble, if they noticed I didn't have a chair or a drink for example, one would appear from nowhere! If we could have tipped them all we would. At Rotunda bar there was Mohammed the manager and Osman and smiley Ahmed! At Aqua bar (our favorite) the wonderful Islam, hilarious Mohamed and the gorgeous Sherif! Acapulco Joe staff and food were also fabulous. I could waffle on forever, but overall this hotel is the place for a quiet relaxing holiday. Lots of steps, but if it didn't have the elevation it has, then its dramatic and commanding views over the ocean would be lost. I am surprised at some peoples reviews - I think nice reasonable people get nice treatment, say no more! "

• Travel date: Fri 21st of September 2012

Hotels near Renaissance Sharm El Sheikh Golden View Beach Resort

Stayed at Renaissance Sharm El Sheikh Golden View Beach Resort? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Renaissance Sharm El Sheikh Golden View Beach Resort

• nashers by nashers

"dont go expecting fun n frolicks, R & R only. "

• nashers by nashers

"you just cant help but love the renaissence "

• Bex by Bex

"This is the best holiday I have ever had and i travel a bit! Not great for kids which suited us!!!! "

• KievFirst Ukraine by KievFirst Ukraine

"One week is enough to relax here. Better come in April, May, September, October. "

• sbarr31 by sbarr31

"the diving is not to be missed "

• sbarr31 by sbarr31

"hard rock cafe, kfc, fish resturants in old town "

• Widzowski by Widzowski

"Alcapulco Joe's at Renaissance Golden View Hotel "

• Amiee11 by Amiee11

"Best Holiday We Are Going Back.. Great Hotel For Diving!! And Family "

• The Ionians by The Ionians

"Ask & you will receive !! "

• amg123 by amg123

"move to another hotel asap "

Renaissance Sharm El Sheikh Golden View Beach Resort is also called