This hotel is now closed.

Raouf Star Hotel

Nabq Bay , - , Sharm El Sheikh , Egypt , Africa

Hotels near Raouf Star Hotel

Good

Bizarre. I would rate it 0/10 but was n...

Reviewed Sun 2nd of March 2008

"Bizarre. I would rate it 0/10 but was not given the choice. Most youth hostels can boast better accomodations. Three hotels, 25 guests (someone said) but saw MAYBE 12 guests - and it was high season. Like the Middle Eastern version of "The Shining". "Redrum" , the halls were empty and echoed dismally. The food was ghastly. The restaurant was like a cheap cafeteria & 120ml cups for your juice drink. Although my wife ordered her fish first in the buffet line but she was told to sit down and the chef proceeded to serve the 3 middle eastern men first.

20 km away from town. The pools were filthy. If your room key wasn't installed in a wall socket you didn't have electricity or AC in your room. There was no hot water and what came out of the faucet looked more like tea - you wouldn't have to be in the sun to come home a nice golden brown. The beach was sharp volcanic sand and sharp volcanic rocks began where the crystal clear Red Sea water met the shore - shallow and unswimmable unless you go far from shore. Stay away if you can still change your reservations. There are MANY other places to stay for a similar price in Sharm look carefully at the location. The Star is a 1 star hotel at best."

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of March 2008

This hotel is advertised as 5 star but t...

Reviewed Sat 26th of January 2008

"This hotel is advertised as 5 star but the service provided is no more than 2 star. It boasts many facilities, but the service provided falls well short of 5 star. The dining room is more like a cafe in appearance, no tablecloths or even glasses present. Drinks are served in small plastic cups! The bedroom furniture looks tired and worn. Definately NOT recommended."

• Travel date: Sat 26th of January 2008

We arrived at the Star Hotel Sharm El Sh...

Reviewed Tue 15th of January 2008

"We arrived at the Star Hotel Sharm El Sheikh on the 29th December 2007 at 9.15pm feeling very tired and hungry for our 14day holiday in a 5* hotel. We asked at reception if there had been any food laid on for late arrival guests as we have always been accustomed to this in all other hotels we have stayed in (from 3* to 5* hotels) and we were told to order room service at a charge. The menu and prices were in our room, good start oh well new year to look forward to. We decided to have a shower before ordering food, water cold never did get hot all the 14days tried various times of the day and night. Room was ok nothing special. Ordered burger and chips it was cold as they had to carry food from Sun hotel to Star hotel uncovered what a waste of money.

Decided to check hotel bar it was outside of hotel, all 3 of the AI bars were outside the hotel if you wanted to drink inside the hotel you had to pay and we had the infamous white plastic cups. The hot water was not working, we could not get a cup of tea or coffee.

December 30th welcome meeting in the Sun hotel at 1pm but rep didn't turn up, waited 2hours, asked hotel to contact him he said he was busy - nice of him to let us know and would visit the hotel on the evening.

The gala dinner for the new year was being advertised in the restaurants and then they informed us it was not included in the package and the brits were expected to pay 100$ each to go, when our rep did eventually turn up he asked the manager Mr Mohamed about this payment and he said as the english guests had not been informed of these charges by our travel agents and had not accounted for this charge in their spending monies we could join the party free of charge and the 20 british couples staying at the Star and Sun hotel would receive invitations by 10am on new years eve, we didn't receive these invitations because Mr Raoulf said it would cost too much money to allow us to join them at the gala dinner. The Russian and Romanian guests had agreed this payment in their package with their travel agents we then asked what we would be eating as we were AI we told told their would be the usual food in the Sun hotel. I had 2 bread rolls and a plate of cold chips for my new years eve dinner, there was no music or entertainment laid on for us it was like we were being punished for not paying 100$ a head. The beer ran out at 11.30pm, there was no white wine but we brits stood proud and sang the new year in.

The holiday went from bad to worse, the cinemas weren't working, the pools were dirty, the lake around the restaurant was filthy, they were painting in the restaurant whilst we were eating not very good for someone who suffers with asthma like myself, the chairs in the dining area were broken and 1 brit nearly broke his back when the chair collapsed on him, the shops were derelict, the gym wasn't open, the reception staff lost all knowledge of english when faced with the many complaints from english customers - tomorrow tomorrow was their usual answers.

The restaurant and poolside staff were very helpful and did their best, the animation team were fired on the 3rd night of our stay and after that night the only entertainment was a traditional Egyptian night which we had seen the week before most of the english people ate out at Narmbay or the hotel next door because the food was inedible ie: breakfast was eggs, fried, scrambled, boiled, omeletes, mashed potato, stew from the previous night, salad, bread, no cheese, cereals, powdered juice, tea or coffee. I declined this and had a cup of tea. Lunch and dinner was repetitive, no fresh fruit apart from 2days when there was oranges, bananas 2days and dates.

British travel operators could not possibly have checked this rating by visiting these hotels and sold us this holiday as a 5* hotel under false pretences. I would not have considered this hotel if it had not been rated as 5* and I would not give this hotel a 2* rating, english customers beware do not touch this hotel if you want to enjoy your holiday. "

• Travel date: Tue 15th of January 2008

Same experience as all the above holiday...

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2007

"Same experience as all the above holiday makers, pool at Star still not been cleaned and wasn't filled sufficiently to use. Considering this is now November 07 and no improvements made. We were one of only two English couples staying in hotel, we felt they only catered for Russians, food appalling and repetitive, was more like full board than all inclusive. I really cannot believe any british tour operator has visited the hotel, to see what is offered, facilities are there but nothing functioning. You could get a beer at 10am but not coffee or tea which is crazy. Tour operators should not be sending anyone to this hotel. We had to seek medical help to travel home after suffering dreadful vomiting and bad stomachs. Definitely one hotel to avoid. "

• Travel date: Sun 18th of November 2007

We stayed at the Star Hotel, part of Rao...

Reviewed Fri 11th of May 2007

"We stayed at the Star Hotel, part of Raouf International Hotels, of which there were 3 in the one complex.

The hotel was practically empty, probably only a dozen guests in a 200 bed hotel. None of the amenities were open, i.e. casino, cinema, bowling alley, shops.

The swimming pool at the Star Hotel was out of use, we had to use the one at the Moon Hotel, half of the pools were empty and the river was absolutely filthy, with sunken boats and no sign of armchairs on the "lazy river".

Nearly all of the lights were broken along the corridor where our room was, there were no balconies in any of the rooms, so nowhere to sit in the mornings or evenings to look at the views.

The waterfall was completely rusted and the grounds were badly neglected, the grass looked as though it had never been watered.

This was supposed to be a 5 star hotel, but did not even provide a courtesy room on the day of departure. We had to pay £20 to keep our room on, although there must have been over 100 rooms unoccupied.

The only good point about our holiday was the attentiveness of the waiters in the ONE restaurant that was open; they could not do enough for us (I expect they were totally bored with not many guests to look after).

The food was bearable; although we heard from a family of 4 who were staying there that they had all been unwell.

The beachfront location was beautiful, we could not fault it and needless to say we spent most of our time in the hotel next door, which was immaculate (The Regency Palace). They certainly know how to look after the comforts of their guests.

Do not go to this hotel, you will be greatly disappointed. It needs shutting down."

• Travel date: Fri 11th of May 2007

Complex with 3 Raouf Hotels. Moon hotel...

Reviewed Sun 29th of April 2007

"Complex with 3 Raouf Hotels. Moon hotel derelict. Star Hotel although 200 plus rooms (no balconies) less than a dozen guests.

All facilities closed, except for 2 bars and gym which were never used as no guests about.

The water around the advertised restaurants (which were all closed) was filthy. Only place to eat was buffet in hotel. Often only four of us in there.

Our pool closed we used Sun Hotel pool, it was a question of which umbrella was the least broken. Always plenty of loungers as Sun Hotel had only a few Russians staying there.

We were lucky another couple on our flight were staying there as it would have been more of a disaster.

The reception when you walk in looks really good, but what a shock when you get out the back, broken lights, electric cables about, boats sunk, no theatre, no cinema, shop for complex were derelict.

Billed an entertainment centre of Sharm - what a disgrace. Best thing about it was proximity to Regency Palace Hotel where we sometimes ate and went there in the evening.

On checking out told there wasn't a courtesy room (despite hotel having approx. 200 empty rooms) if we wanted a shower we had to pay £17 to keep our room until 3 pm.

Do NOT go there. Billed as 5* hotel would not give it 2*"

• Travel date: Sun 29th of April 2007

I visited this Hotel in January 2006 for...

Reviewed Tue 3rd of April 2007

"I visited this Hotel in January 2006 for 1 week just to have a study break. I know that I am not alone in my opinion of this hotel as at least four other guests were complaining to the rep the same time I was.

This hotel was awful I do not know how it can be called a 5* the food was practically the same for the whole week and there was not the option to use the other restaurants as they were all closed as was the cinema's and most of the bars.

The bars that were open only had a very limited selection of drinks and there was nothing that resembled entertainment. There were shops on site that were also closed The room was freezing and when I informed the hotel that the heating was not working they kindly offered me a blanket to keep me warm.

In the end I ended up moving at my own expense and I know that several others had done the same. This was my second visit to sharm the first time I stayed at the Rossetta which was a 3* hotel and much better quality all round.

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of April 2007

Star/Sun/Moon resort has all the facili...

Reviewed Tue 7th of February 2006

"Star/Sun/Moon resort has all the facilities you'd expect of a 5 star hotel, and much more. Unfortunately it has all the charm of an abortion clinic.

No one knows how to run the projectors in the two cinema's and no one can drive either of the two luxury coaches parked in the garage. The only person who got anything near star treatment was the owner (who has not had the courtesy to reply to our letter of complaint). Do yourself a favour and stay away from Raouf International.

Sharm el Sheik is great, but in spite of the best efforts of staff on the ground Star /Moon /Sun hotels are best avoided.

• Travel date: Tue 7th of February 2006