Good times!

Reviewed Sat 25th of April 2009

"This was my first holiday, went with my girlfriend for a week in April. Would reccommend the hotel to anyone as it was very well organised and attractive. Staff are all lovely, especially mohammed in the restaurant. Everywhere relatively cheap but be prepared to haggle for EVERYTHING! Watch out for the bazaar owners, they are all lovely, just here them out but be firm with them otherwise they'll spend everything you've got. Other than that ENJOY and be sure to check out the Aquapark, it's ACE!!

Dan ([email protected])"

• Travel date: Sat 25th of April 2009

very basic and small hotel

Reviewed Wed 22nd of April 2009

"First time @ Sharm, I was very disappointed by this hotel.
There is not anything to do in the hotel, the spa,jaccusi is not include and you have to pay for it. The pools are rather small, and no music is played. The phoniex bar(open roof) prices are crazy and Shisha is not good at all!
The buffets are very limited and basic, and you even have to pay for water!
The receptionist is very unfriendly, and they'll try anything to get you to pay for their services including the safe box which is not even in your room!
However the cleaning person was really nice, probably that's because he was married.
So if you are going as a couple or family, it might be a ok hotel, but if you are going as a girl group, you are gonna get a lot of attention and mostly harassments from the staff, and in generally anyone outside the hotel.
So you'll be forced to sit by the pool and read a book or two and listen to your iPods, specially when the receptionist doesn't have any local map!

It's more like a motel than a hotel and therefor I only give it 3 out of 10!

However if you end up going here, make sure you visit the old market for shopping, sharm bay for snorkling, and namaa bay for nightlife.

and by the way dont forget bargaining! taxi rate it around 10-15 Egyptian pound, a bottle of water is 3-5 EGP...so don't get ripped off!

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of April 2009

excellent value

Reviewed Fri 10th of April 2009

"We booked through teletext to stay at Ocean View, I have been to Sharm 2 times previously. We found the hotel very clean the beds and towels were changed daily, staff were very obliging. Breakfast was very good plenty of variety, staff very friendly. We would go back again. Excellent"

• Travel date: Fri 10th of April 2009

Basic but nice enough

Reviewed Tue 24th of February 2009

"My boyfriend and I stayed in the Ocean Club hotel in early February 2009 and although it is basic, we found it clean and pleasant enough.

Our room was quite nice and the cleaners would do a good job; changing the bedding every day and using the sheets/pillows to do a daily 'welcome decoration' on the bed.

The breakfast was quite tasty and varied and the hotel did entertainment most evenings; with some fun Egyptian and Mongolian BBQ's, belly-dancing and fire-shows.

The hotel has two decent-sized pools; one a diving pool with lots of deck-chairs and a bar next to it. The roof-top bar was also popular.

A great asset to this hotel was the shuttle-bus service (to the nearby quiet beach and the busy Namma Bay beach and nightlife) it provided for a small fee. It's also across the road from a couple of restuarants and shops.

Overall, it was pleasant enough and everyone was very friendly. "

• Travel date: Tue 24th of February 2009

wouldnt recommend

Reviewed Mon 15th of December 2008

"I have been to Sharm 4 times, and was really disapointed with this hotel.

We didnt know how to lock our doors, and guests were asking each other, in order to find out.

The fire alarm went off at 4.20am during the first night, when I went to reception after assuming it had gone off for a reason, I was told not to worry about it, and it consequently went off every day after that. When I complained, I was met with an attitude of "Oh, has the fire alarm been going off"? which was unbelievable! (The worry being that if it went off for the real reason it it supposed to, guests would assume its just going off again for no reason and not react).

The bar staff were okay, but when I asked a member of staff for some food when there was a curry night on, (and I didnt want curry) he seemed really put out, and said it wasnt avaliable. I said to forget the remainder of the order (A portion of potatoe wedges, that was all) and he got really cross that I didnt want to order anything else. As a result, I was charged 30le for the same non alchaholic drink i has purchased before on another evening at a much cheaper price. I felt so indimidated by then, I didnt bother to argue with him. It just didnt feel worth it.

The bathroom stank of sewage the whole time, which I found unbearable. (The room itself however was clean and livable).

When I got sick and reported it to the Explorers rep, I was told that I had dehydration. I mentioned that half the hotel was like a hospital, with people really sick, and one of the reps walked out! The other one again insisted that it was dehydration, and that was her answer.

I was so ill, I wanted to leave early and go home. I asked reception if they could print my additional ticket that I was about to book, so that I could do this, to be told "the printer doesnt work". I explained that I really needed to print, as it was an airline ticket, and he actually shrugged his shoulders and said again that the printer didnt work. There was one working in the office behind him as I could hear it, but I couldnt use it.

All in all, I think this hotel is great if you are diving and just want something basic, but I have stayed in other hotels and have never had these problems.

Sorry to say, but I wouldnt ever go back to this hotel, and would not recommend it."

• Travel date: Mon 15th of December 2008

Great Budget Hotel

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"Booked the Ocean Club through lastminute.com for the bargain price of £199.00. The hotel is basic, but for the price, it was fantasic. Rooms are large and clean. A bonus comes in the form of origami towel art each day! These creations beocme more and more epic as the week progresses, culminating in our case with a crocodile on the last day! Air con is pretty powerful but very noisy!

Breakfast is served until 10.30am and is rather good. Lots of choice. Scary radioactive looking fruit juice though.

It's a cab ride to either Old Sharm or Naama Bay but we never paid more than roughly £2 for any journey so no real hassle. There is a shuttle bus service into Naama Bay that costs about 50p.

The hotel has a deal with Karabach Hotel to use their beach. Get your pass at reception for roughly £2.50 per day. It's easily one of the nicest sections of beach in Naama Bay. The food and drinks are really reasonable and you get served at your sunlounger - bliss!

The Rooftop bar is lovely - so relaxing. Food is pretty reasonable. The meze was of high quality but the lamb kofta sarney was pretty damn tasty! Didn't eat at the hotel on any of the theme nights so cannot comment on those. So many places to eat in Sharm that you won't want to eat at the hotel more than pnce or twice.

There are loads of trips on offer. To get the best deal it's probably best to shop around Naama Bay. However, Explorers (based at the hotel) run a fantasic trip out into the desert on a Weds and Fri night (camel ride, sunset, dinner, star gazing etc). I would urge anyone to go - it's magical.

The hotel caters principally for divers (it is attached to a dive school) but is equally welcome to non-divers. The divers tend to be a very friendly bunch and the atmosphere in the bar and aorund the pool is super friendly. The staff are fine. One or two of the bar staff were a bit surly but nothing too bad. Generally, perfectly friendly and efficent.

A few general Sharm tips ;

Sometimes certain bank cards cannot be used for hours or days at a time at any Sharm cash points (something to do with communication lines we were told). Our Visa cards were not accepted for days so if you can, have another sort of card with you (my maestro worked whilst the Visa didn't) so you don't get stuck with no way of withdrawing cash.

I would also advise taking some imodium with you! Say no more........

Loads of good food to be found in Sharm - I recommend the Authentic Egyptian restaurant sort of above hardrock cafe. Very tasty!

The best bar is town is undoubtably Camel Bar - great views from the roof, cool staff, amazing atmosphere - a top spot. Spirits are crazily expensive so best off sticking to beer.

Overall, the Ocean Club is fab if you want a cheap and cheerful holiday. The clientele tend to be a very nice lot so the potential for making pals is great and makes for a very special experience. The money we saved on accomodation went towards lots of great food and trips.

Enjoy!"

• Travel date: Thu 5th of June 2008

Don't listen to bad reviews

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"OK - so some reviews are good - some bad..... how do you know which one to take notice of..... My friend and I had a Great time but I will be completely honest start to finish.......

Fiirstly - we booked through explorers.com for £250 a few days before we left.... on arrival at the hotel the tour reps were helpful, quick and efficient. The bus was air conditioned and clean and we had a smooth ride over to the hotel (about half hour).

On arrival at the hotel, the reception staff checked people in quickly and as we queued (no more than 10 mins) we were given a cool welcome drink. Our room was right under the roof top bar and initially we were concerned about noise - Don't be - we didn't hear a thing!! The room itself was spacious and clean - don't expect a palace as they are basic but the shower pressure was good, the bedding was clean and the air-con was all working with no problems all holiday....

The food was great - buffet of cereal / fruit salad / pastries / eggs and sausages etc for breakfast. We only had lunch on a couple of days as we were mostly out but there was a big selection at the pool bar of pizzas - steak sandwiches - soups - all sorts which were all made fresh to order.... You had a choice of places to go for dinner - the first in the main restaurant that has a good selection of both English and Egyptian food.... On the rooftop bar - there are big couches and a large bar that gives you a really relaxing atmosphere and they too have a selection of English and Egyptian food. They also have some theme evenings - Mexican, Curry, Divers bbq - and twice a week there is also a Mongolian bbq - you sit outside and they'll cook up all your food - as many trips as you like - a very filling meal so skip lunch!!

If you're going to Egypt you will probably have people telling you to avoid ice and salads etc... we had no stomach problems and we had ice in our cocktails and salad with our steaks!! If you go into Naama bay - I would recommed to be more cautious as there were people around the hotel that had gone out and had the odd upset tum!

The pools were lovely - one goes to a depth of 3.8m and has a diving platform - the other is a curved and more - 'lazy pool'. No problems for sun loungers as the majority of guests are out diving during the day and there's such a great atmosphere...

Probably half of the people there were single travellers and everyone was so friendly... the ocean college staff and diving instructors were great fun and are always happy to join you for a drink at the end of the day.....

If you have any questions please get in contact and I will be happy to answer them - I will definitely return to this hotel and location - the diving / snorkelling is fantastic - there's loads to do if your not diving including trips to the pyramids - cairo / luxor etc St Catherine's monastry is beautiful - we also did a quadbiking trip in the desert at sunset which was breathtaking.....

there will be bad reviews from those who may have gone expecting plush rooms etc but if you're going on holiday for fun, sun, good atmosphere and good company - you can't go wrong. There are some luxuries that are lacking in the rooms but how much time are you planning on sitting inside your bedroom?! - One thing that was really nice was that outside the majority of the rooms there are concrete beds with matresses which were lovely for reading or napping outside!

One word of caution - take lots of insect spray as there were lots of midges once the sun went down - (these were everywhere - no worse in the hotel than outside!)

You may also see bits in the poor reviews about flies - these are no worse than anywhere else really - they are there - but the food is all kept covered and they never really bothered us either outside or in the reception / dining areas....

I will be happy to answer questions - just ask - I will be honest about it!"

• Travel date: Mon 26th of May 2008

Lovely Hotel, Very Friendly - Non-Divers Review

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"Having read some of the reviews on here before booking I was a little wary, but there is nothing to be worried about. This hotel is a lovely little 3 star hotel. It only has about 50 rooms so feels nice and friendly, and the people at the bars/reception etc remember you, which is nice. We found all of the staff to be very friendly and helpful, and not in any way greedy/rude or hunting for tips.

My friend and I went to the Ocean Club with Explorers on 30 Mar 08 and thoroughly enjoyed it. The rooms are a little basic but always cleaned well (by friendly Ahmad who also likes to make origami things out of your towels!). The shower is the temperature you ask it to be. The water comes out of the taps clear and not brown. There is air conditioning in the rooms, which again works fine. There are safes available in reception.

There are about 4 themed nights a week (curry night, Mongolian BBQ night, Mexican night, Egyptian night). There are 2 bars, the pool bar and another one upstairs (but still outside). There are 2 pools (and a childrens pool), one is used by the dive club, but not all day, and you are still allowed in the pool anyway. There was no fight for sunbeds, there were plenty available. There were also lots of trips organised (although I suppose these were by Explorers and not the hotel itself).

Breakfast is simple (eggs, cheese, meats, sausage, potatoes, cereal, fruit salad, youghurt, lots of croissants/pastries, etc), but we found enough variety for our week long stay, but then what do you expect from a 50 room hotel?

The location of the hotel is fine. It's about £1.50 UK to get to Naama bay in a taxi and about £1.00 UK the other way to the old town / market. There is also a shuttle bus provided by the hotel, but we found the taxis cheap enough and more convenient.

I would definitely consider returning to this hotel and would recommend it to a friend."

• Travel date: Wed 16th of April 2008

Good value for money

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"Wonderful and attentive staff, special mention of MImo, head waiter.

Very considerate of my Mum's disability and they put us in the first apartment, to the entrance so she wouldn't have far to walk.

Excellent on site spa, the woman masseuse is excellent, really professional and works out all your aches and pains.

Rooms basic but clean, good location for getting to Naam'a Bay and the beaches. The cleaner also does fantastical arrangements with the sheets and towels creating wonderful animals and flowers to surprise you.

I wasn't diving but found enough to do, definitely recommend for a cheap, quick get away."

• Travel date: Fri 11th of April 2008

Do Not Book Not Matter How Cheap!!!!!!

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Me and my partner booked this hotel because it was one of the cheapest deals for sharm at the time. It was rated 3 stars by the travel agent. I have stayed in some 3 star hotels in my life and this was NO way 3 star standard!!! It was more like a no star!!
The Staff just care about money and hang around until they get tips, then look at the money like you haven't given enough! The room was very basic, which we expected, but did not expect it to be dirty!

The shower went hot then cold, i had to jump in and out trying to catch the "hot " moments! in the morning the taps would shoot out rust colour water first so don't even use it to brush your teeth!

I have serve food poisoning, there was no hotel doctor so i had to pay for a cab to the hospital and then wait for a cab back in my ill condittion.

When we paid for food on the theme night ( only one night a week ) we had to chase the waiter for change and he still short changed us!

Egypt was lovely but this hotel was not!"

• Travel date: Mon 31st of March 2008

Great for Divers & Non-divers

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"My girlfriend and I enjoyed our time at the Ocean Club. This hotel isn't going to blow you away, but it does all the basics very well. Room is nice and clean, breakfast is more than eatable, and pool area is great, with a choice of 2 pools. With lots of divers staying here, you don't have to be German to get a sun lounger. The pool bar does some great food, and has decent drink prices, whilst Cafe Picasso across the road does a great sunday roast dinner if your missing home. Staff are very friendly, and really you couldn't ask for much more from a cheapish holiday."

• Travel date: Fri 28th of March 2008

The 1st place I've stayed where I DEFINATELY want to go back!!

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"Just back from a Sunday to Sunday 7 night trip. I booked a stay with a 4 day PADI open water course.

I must say I've never been happier with a holiday. Almost perfect and GREAT value. The staff are so friendly, and the other guests were really great people. Travelling on your own has never been such a sociable experience. For the diver it's great as Ocean College is right on the site,for the non diver also great as you get a nice quiet hotel when all the divers are out!!

It's location is not so bad. We got the cabs bartered down to £1 into Naa'ma bay so what the hell? Nice that they make the effort with the theme evenings to give something for those hat don't want to travel. I spoke to many many people that didn't leave the hotel their whole week! No-on had a bad word to say. Sure you have to time your run with the showers (don't bother when all the divers are getting up or the water supply is hot, hot, cold, cold, hot, nothing, cold,hot...), but other than that.....

The tour reps also deserve a mention. Nothing too much trouble, very helpful and good fun. Even that long into the night setting the world to rights conversation.... ;-)

Highly recommended, lovely friendly place. When can I get time off from work next?"

• Travel date: Fri 21st of March 2008

Hotels near Ocean Club Hotel

Top traveller tips for Ocean Club Hotel

• adamsm01 by adamsm01

"lovely for snorkelling, diving and sun. Very nice holidays "

• ashkan by ashkan

"good for getting tanned, going diving and loads of other activities but you got to haggle your life! "

• ashkan by ashkan

"Camel Bar in Namaa Bay "

Ocean Club Hotel is also called