Sabina marmara hotel Sharm El Sheike

Reviewed Wed 6th of May 2009

"Just returned to England from our 1st visit to Sharm El Sheike, Egypt. One 0f the best holidays we've ever had..Sharm El Sheike is EXOTIC!! The Egptian people are wonderful,we found them to be decent, honest, extremely respectful towards women, towards each other and to tourists. The weather cannot be faulted (unless you happen to travel there in June/July/August when the temp is very hot..apparently high 30's!. We have travelled to lots of different places including the Far East..The Caribbean..America,(east and west) and India but Egypt was our most enjoyable holiday. Hotel Sabina Marmara was just perfect for us. The staff couldnt do enough for us as guests. The setting of the pools and accommodation was just delightful. Our room was thoroughly cleaned every day with clean towells (some folded into exotic creatures!!) and the pool barman even brought us drinks to our sun loungers without us having to order!! amazing service!!..Marmara's rooms are not Egyptian Palaces but are comfy, clean, reasonably spacious with fridge and Sat TV.,lovely little private terrace with chairs and approx 3 strides to your sun lounger!! and 5 strides to the pool.!!Dining at the Marmara is buffet style every day and a really good choice too!!..meat,fish,veg,rice,potato,salad,pasta and fruit all available at every lunch and evening meal. Meal times are spread over 3 hrs at every sitting..Incredibly flexible we thought! The Hotel Manager is in evidence daily and has the most delightful and charming manner. The grounds around the pool are gorgeous!! with well maintained shrubs, trees and flowers all adding to a really picturesque setting which really impressed us on arrival. The shuttle bus at the hotel is on a timetable which is well planned and very reliable and takes guests to local beaches and the wonderfully exotic Narma Bay (10minutes away and Shopping Heaven!!)Bars Restaurants Nightlife are plentiful in Narma Bay. The 2 boat trips we booked were fabulous. 1st was called *African* and took us snorkelling at three different spots.The Red Sea is so clean and clear and incredibly BLUE ..(not RED) we saw the most beautifully colourful and exotic fish which swam right upto us and then followed us! Food and drinks were included on the trip and it was fabulous value for money, especially with the *Surprise* at the end.... *APROX 10 DOLPHINS SWAM WITH OUR BOAT!!*..The 2nd boat trip took us further away to Tiran Island, again fab for snorkelling although the sea was a little rougher in that direction and some passangers did turn a little bit green for a while"!,all food and drinks included and again excellent value for money. We intend to return to the Sabina Marmara Hotel in October this year...that's how much we loved it!!...We have agreed on one negative point.....the salt's in the pepper pot and the pepper's in the salt pot in Egypt!!..Perhaps we wont go back after all (ha!Ha!)"

• Travel date: Tue 5th of May 2009

Very disappointed

Reviewed Mon 12th of January 2009

"On the website it said that this hotel was a 4* more like a 2*. There was 7 of us that went 4 on Sunday the 4th of Jan and 3 on the 5th of Jan. when we booked we asked for 2 double rooms and one triple room witch we were told that the would not be a problem. But when we got there it was a problem and 3 of us had to sleep in 2 single beds until we finally managed to get the hotel to put us another bed in one of the rooms. The food was disgusting same thing everyday from what I could make out as we did not eat at the hotel after the first night. I was told by one of the hotel staff that the food was a Russian Menu as this is a mainly a Russian Hotel, there was only 4 English groups and the rest were Russian. The rooms were kept clean and the house keeping were very good I could not fault them one bit, apart form being very sleazy and eyeing you up all the time. I do not recommend young girls to go there on there own. Most of the bar staff were great. The MANAGER stinks I have never met anything like it before in my life his rude, pervert and should not be doing the job that he is. The all inclusive drinks are disgusting and cheap, taste like battery acid. No snacks were included in the all inclusive witch I was told they were, but the food was that bad I would not have eat them anyway. The pool was to cold to use it took your breath away when you got in NO ONE USED IT THE WHOLE WEEK I WAS THERE. The disco is just Russian music we had to keep asking to play English music.
So basiclly I would not go back to this hotel I have stayed in a lot better hotels in Egypt than this one make sure you do your homework before you book

• Travel date: Mon 12th of January 2009

Good but not like as I expected

Reviewed Sun 28th of December 2008

"First of all nobody has a hurry all around the town for sure :)But most of the time the problem was not with the hotel but with our tourism company the exit tourism. Their service was a disaster for sure :(

The hotel staff is generally friendly and trying to help us out but you must tip,they dont like low tippers some of my friends didnt tip well and some of the staff asked for more.

The food was generally good not like a 4 star hotel the problem was with the hygene because in our first night we saw a cockroach walking around the bread baskets and we had to tell the staff, dont expect to see very clean glasses and dishes all the time.

The pool area is great and clean.

Our rooms were generably big for a hotel like this, but the first night some of our friends had to change rooms because of a problem about the water systems in the baths,
There are showers but not baths by the way.

The most problematic thing about the hotel was the room service opened the door when there was an 'Do not disturb' sign on and that is a great problem because sometimes I was going for diving and my girlfriend was staying at the room, I tougt this was intentional and went to the hotel management, they told me that they will and they had talked to the guy but unfortunately 3 days later the same guy koncked on my door until I opened it and asked something unimportant and guess what there was the same 'do not disturb' sign on the doorknob :(

I really am an easy going person and even I was unconfortable at that room so everything was acceptable for me but not the room service :("

• Travel date: Sun 28th of December 2008

good but not what like we expected :)

Reviewed Sun 28th of December 2008

"First of all nobody has a hurry all around the town for sure :)

The pool area is great and clean.

There are showers but not baths by the way.

The hotel had shuttles around to naama bay, the old market and to the beach that was good.

The was a big market place right next to the hotel.

The biggest PROBLEM I had was, that the roomservice opened the door when there was a dont disturb sign on and that is a great problem because my girl friend was staying in that room when I was going fot diving. I tink that was an intentinal move so I talked to the staff about it I they told us that they will and they did talked to the roomservice but 3 days later the same guy knocked on the door until I opened the door and there was the same sign again :( "

• Travel date: Sun 28th of December 2008

just home from a great holiday at the ma...

Reviewed Tue 7th of October 2008

"just home from a great holiday at the marmara hotel..
had mixed feelings about the place with some of the reviews,i didnt enjoy the food and got a bug while i was there, not sure it was the food i think most people get holiday tummy but there was a chemist close by.. the hotel was clean and the staff are fantastic.. it does lack entertainment but your only a taxi ride from nama bay.. it is close to everything i think..it has a bus to take you to the beach and nama bay and if you do miss that taxi`s are cheap.. be prepared for people to ask you into there shops as you pass, it can get on your nerves but if you say no thanks its usualy gets through!

some hotels are in the middle of no where so we was very happy.. it was vey hot about 38 degrees for the whole 2 weeks.. we booked a trip to cairo on the coach through dreams entertainment which was in the mall next door to the hotel cost 40 english pounds each.. took 6 hours the coach was nice and had air con.. lunch was included.

it is very cheap to eat out.. and as for the food in the hotel same old, same old.. you get that on every all inclusive holiday dont you?? what id say is you will prob get quiet a good deal holiday here and if you want all the extras.. then pay the extra and go some where else!

i will be back next year for the red sea reunion.. see you then :-)"

• Travel date: Tue 7th of October 2008

I have just returned from our trip to Eg...

Reviewed Sun 10th of August 2008

"I have just returned from our trip to Egypt and thought we'd write a review. The hotel was really quite nice, very clean and rooms lovely and big and the staff very helpful. The hotel is right next to a small shopping mall which was really nice to have a walk round in the day/night
The hotel lacks entertainment and the food is well...horrid!!!
Actually, the food is ok but very bland and repetative!! we only stayed for a week and probably only ate at the hotel a couple of days which defeats the idea of going all inclusive. Also, this hotel offers a 'light' all inclusive which means you get your breakfast, lunch and dinner plus drinks but NO SNACKS. You can order snacks at the pool, which arn't that expensive, for example, we had burger and chips and chicken bagette thing which only worked out about £3 for the lot!!
After speaking to a local it would seem that the food here is no worse or better than any of the other hotels...maybe a larger hotel would have a larger selection though. Hotel geared for Eastern European more than the English which probably represents the food served too!
We actually enjoyed eating out so the food wasn't really an issue as it was only for a week but might of been expensive if we had stayed for two weeks!
One tip, if you do stay here to reserve your sunbeds by the pool (which is lovely) bung the towel guy some cash and he'll make sure you get your sunbeds...unfortunately we didn't realise this until halfway through our holiday!
There is a fab heath spa place there....i indulged in quite a few treatments which were all
fab and nowhere near as expensive as the uk.
They love pound stirling and us dollar for some reason, so if you take either you can normally haggle more
If i went back i probably wouldn't bother with the all inclusive, but sure i saw that you can upgrade there for about 6$ per night which i'm sure would be a cheaper option than booking it here.
We went on a boat trip for the day which was great...and we also did the trip to cairo by plane. Early start (pick up from the hotel was at 4am) but well worth it
We booked our trips from the guy in the shopping mall..can't remember his name but he looks like a younger version of dev off coronation street! He did us a good deal on our trips as our rep wasn't very helpful either and they wanted £150 for the cairo trip and I think we paid that for both our trips
If you've booked this hotel, dont be put off but any of the reviews cos it is one of the better ones and remember everyone has their own opinion. enjoy

• Travel date: Sun 10th of August 2008

I have just come back from this hotel, i...

Reviewed Wed 23rd of April 2008

"I have just come back from this hotel, i thought i'd write a review as i struggled to find a good review on it!
3 of us went - all girls 27yrs old. Went for a sun holiday, just to laze about in the sun!
We arrived at Marmara in the afternoon, the bellman brought up our cases for us.As we entered the room, there was 2 double beds, as we decided who was sharing our maid man said he would get another bed for us so we all had our own bed!
The room was clean and neat, the bathroom didn't have a bath and was a little shabby - needed re-tiling as bit scruffy. But overall i found the room fine. We had remote air con and a tele! Oh and a fridge!
The pool area was lovely!! Could not be nicer! The pool got hoovered every night and morning! So sparkling clean! The staff where amazing!
Breakfast was lovely, omlette/pancake/egg chef that made whilst you watched, pastries, sausages etc (best meal of the day)
Lunch, spag bol with different types of pasta -EVERY day, some sort of Chicken, beef and fish dish with some different type of potatos and veg, lots of diffrent salads.
Dinner, soup and chicken,beef or fish dish, salad too again. And always yum deserts.
All inclusive wasn't bad but so cheap over there too eat out you could prob go half board and not spend much. We got a very good deal so we just went all in.
All drinks all in too, we mostly had fizzy drinks by the pool and beer - coke, fanta,pepsi and sprite. Beer is local Stella. Never tried any spirits, although my friend did n said gin was very srong, think that was due too the half glass measure she got!
Only had a few nights entertainment - narma bay is about ten mins away in a taxi.
Overall the hotel was lovely, although it is not a ENGLISH 4 star hotel, but an egyptian 4 star,i would say a 3 star. I found the staff wonderful and hotel friendly, lots of couches about to lounge on and 2 bars inside and one outside, a pool table too!
The hotel has a FREE shuttle bus too beaches and narma bay everyday!!
If anyone is worried about what they have heard about this hotel and have booked here, its not as bad as people have made out - i enjoyed it and would go back!
Enjoy!"

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of April 2008

We holidayed at Sabena Marmara for 2 wee...

Reviewed Sun 9th of March 2008

"We holidayed at Sabena Marmara for 2 weeks from mid Feb 2008. The majority of the guests at the hotel at that time were from Eastern Europe, Russia and the Baltic states. Whilst most of the guests were fine and enjoyed themselves without causing anyone any inconvenience, it has to be said that there were a loud and obnoxious minority who behaved yobbishly. These people were annoying to other guests (including, I’m sure, to their own countrymen) and who were particularly difficult for staff to deal with. However, the staff were generally really helpful and friendly. We really liked Said on reception (fantastic sense of humour and a very learned and intelligent man), Adam and Ramy on the bars (they affably dealt with everything the ‘guests’ threw at them, but they were particularly attentive to those that treated them with a bit of respect) and the pool guys, who despite having to listen to ‘No Woman No Cry’ and ‘Habibie’ (which I believe means something akin to love or great friendship) numerous times each and every day, remained enthusiastic!

The pool area was very picturesque and was always kept very clean. There were ample sunbeds to go round and once the pool guy got to know us he would put our towels out in the mornings to reserve ‘our spot’. However, we went in February and I’m assuming that this is the quiet season. I’d find it interesting to see if there is still a glut of sunbeds in June, July and August. I was advised, prior to going out, that in February the temperature in Sharm at this time of year is comparable with a spring day in England. On reflection this advise was obviously from someone who thinks that July/August is the UK springtime! To me it was hot during the day and I’ve come back with a fantastic tan. However, the temperature in the evenings at this time of year definitely warranted a cardigan and the unheated hotel pools were absolutely freezing on most of the days (the sea was always much warmer).

The food at Sabena Marmara was only ok. As with a lot of all inclusive holidays, it was very repetitive after a few days and there really wasn’t much variety to choose from. Eggs are cooked to order each morning – omelettes, or boiled or fried eggs, but I didn’t ever quite manage to convey the concept of ‘scrambled’ egg! There is always also the regular continental breakfast to fall back on (croissants, jam, fruit and coffee) and cold pancakes and salad (Salad? For breakfast?!).

Considering that this is a coastal resort there was a serious, serious shortage of fish dishes available on the all inclusive menu (I don’t know if this was the case with the ‘a la carte’ menu, which you have to pay for). During the fortnight that we were there the only fish dishes on offer were white fish (it could have been cod, pollock, coley, Birdseye boil-in-the-bag or whatever – they all tasted the same and were indistinguishable in appearance and texture). The main thing that these dishes had in common were that they were, without variation, cooked totally and overwhelmingly in garlic. I actually really like garlic but fish has such a delicate flavour that you just cannot add more than the tiniest bit of garlic before you are unable to distinguish much more than the texture (this is a very personal gripe of mine). I also have to mention that the plates and glasses were sometimes less than clean and often had cracks and chips in them.

As far as the all-inclusive bar at the Marmara is concerned you can have beer (Stella), basic spirits (rum, vodka, gin or whiskey) and/or fizzy drinks (pepsi, diet pepsi, 7 up or fanta). If you want cocktails (other than those you’re prepared to make yourself from the very, very limited drinks on offer), or even something as basic as wine then you’re going to have to pay for it. Additionally, your basic meals are included in ‘all inclusive’ but you have to pay for bar snacks and there is no ice cream or any other additional frills. In my opinion, it is totally not worth paying for all inclusive when food is so cheap locally, with a much, much better variety – unless you’re going to drink yourself under the table every day on cheap lager or spirits.

The entertainment at the hotel was absolutely rubbish, The resident DJ was more interested in ‘chasing tail’, which left the pool guys to keep playing the same three tired CDs day after day. During the two weeks that we were there, there were four evenings of entertainment put on. On both of the Sundays there was an Egyptian dancer (nothing else during the first week). The second week was marginally better, with a magic show on one evening and some sort of African tribal dancers on another. There is one computer at the hotel, which you have to pay to use, which the two young people in our party spent an great deal of time on (and fought over!) during the evenings that we didn't go out to try to relieve the boredom!

The resort as a whole is great if you’re into diving/snorkelling or watersports. There are two free beaches which are available to hotel residents and which the free hotel shuttle bus goes to but they are not what I would call ‘private’ as they are shared with other hotels. The first beach is in a small cove, which you have to access by walking down the cliff via some pretty steep steps. Once there the beach is absolutely rammed and you can lie on your allotted sunbed and touch the other sunbeds on all four sides. However, the sea is clear and good for snorkelling. The second beach is less crowded but the sea is absolutely filthy as there are numerous boats and ‘submarines’ which use the bay – forget snorkelling as the sea is murky and the fish are either dead or have escaped to cleaner waters). We used the private beach of the Albatros hotel (which obviously you have to pay for, unless you’re staying there) as it is much less crowded and the sea is clear and absolutely fantastic for snorkelling. On all of the beaches that we visited we were constantly pestered by people trying to sell food, drinks, trips, tattoos, newspapers or massages. If you learn no other Arabic you need to know ‘la shukran’, which means ‘no thank you’ - and say it firmly if you want any peace!

This phrase will serve you well when out and about anywhere in Sharm, as taxis are constantly stopping to offer you a ride. Additionally, shop keepers and bar owners will not allow you to pass their premises without stopping you and attempting to lure you in with phrases such as “Asda price”, “lovely jubbly”, “You’re a lucky man, I’ll give you 15 camels for your wife” and even “how now, brown cow”! A classic is “Ah, English – will you come into my shop for 5 minutes to translate something for me/sign my guest book?”. Once inside you will more than likely leave with something just to get out! You definitely need to be firm or know how to barter if it’s something you actually want and you’re not going to be ripped off. One thing that I did find quite bizarre was the fact that some shop keepers are cottoning on to the fact that European people generally want to look without being hassled and they will stop you in the street to point out signs which say ‘no hassle in this shop’ but will refuse to allow you to pass by without entering in order to demonstrate their ‘no hassle’ policy!

The Sabena Marmara is locate in Hadaba (roughly 5km from the main resort of Naama Bay) and it is basically a developing resort - or a bit of a building site to be blunt! In my opinion this is not good because as more and more hotels are built the beaches will become more and more crowded. Additionally, there will be more and more shops and other tourist businesses springing up, which will mean more competition and consequently more hassle for the tourists. Because of this I would probably not go back to Hadaba again unless I was going to go in the next couple of years.

The Sabena Marmara is a nice friendly hotel with quite picturesque surroundings and all of the necessities present. However, (of course, depending on what you’re used to) you’re probably not going to be living in the lap of luxury. I would consider going back to the Marmara again but I would never go all-inclusive again and never for more than a week. I would tend to use the hotel as a ‘base’ to explore the surroundings or as a reasonably comfortable place to lay my head at night. Anyway, the upshot is that in my opinion for a week ‘all inclusive’ at Sabena Marmara might be ok but anything longer and you should really seriously consider going half board or B&B and have your meals out (there’s plenty of variety to choose from locally at much cheaper prices than the UK).

• Travel date: Sun 9th of March 2008

went 2 egypt not knowing wat to exept he...

Reviewed Sun 2nd of March 2008

"went 2 egypt not knowing wat to exept heard many diffrent reports.after our stay at maramara i was totally overwelmed.the hotel and the staff were bob on and treat us with the upmost respect.our room was cleaned daily the beding was spotless clean and the food was decent.comperd to some people who stayed in 5* we had an exellent hotel.we will be goin back this year and we will be booking this hotel again.we will get a diffrent flight because thomas cooks seating was not good."

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of March 2008

We arrived at the Marmara on 8th Jan thi...

Reviewed Sun 20th of January 2008

"We arrived at the Marmara on 8th Jan this year for one week all inc. 2 couples, I have to use a wheelchair for distance for which I had notified the hotel. On our arrival Sayed on reception couldn't have been more helpful! He arranged, because I was unable to climb the large flight of stairs for us to take all our meals on the ground floor in the non all inc restaurant for our evening meals and the bakery bar for breakfast and lunch!

It wasn't until the next morning that we realised this meant staff opening the room early and bringing their full selection of food from the restaurant for each and every meal. The service and care was exceptional!

The staff were fabulous, this was across the whole hotel it was 5 star!!! Even the head chef who was in charge of the hotel could not have given us better service, while there I became ill with a stomach bug, when they realised I had not been around, they made enquiries and he turned up at our room with a tray of bananas and toasted cheese sandwiches and the tablets required to make me well!!!!! He was I right and I recovered with the aid of more of the same the following morning, again organised by himself.

There were a few things in the negative that need to be mentioned. Firstly the washing up of the cups and glasses leaves a lot to be desired they are only rinsed and not dried, no detergent was used, and I would recommend anyone staying to wash and reuse their own! We all ended up with stomach problems in varying degrees and this might well of contributed! There is no way of knowing where these things come from but the previous would be wise. Also there is a very high number of Latvians using the hotel who seem to have taken over the UKs title of yobs, although singularly they were fine, on mass they were intimidating, so think hotel is more suited to couples not singles as a result!

I have to mention the pool staff; once again they were amazing including the outside barman, all of whom had to deal with legless Latvians, as well as apparently parentless children left to wander the hotel at will. Had they tumbled into the pool the health of the pool guys saving them would have been close to hypothermic!! The pools were pristine but Baltic in the extreme!

Would I return, definitely but for the fact of the extra work I incurred for ALL of the Fantastic staff who work in this lovely hotel!"

• Travel date: Sun 20th of January 2008

Cold Food

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"The hotel was lovely and clean with a friendly attitude from most of the staff but the food especially on a dinner time was stone cold, and after three complaints they made the food warm but still not hot. The hotel had a hand full of brits in it but most of the guest were russian (the new germans). The pools were nice but most of the entertainment was one man and one CD the babaloo club was never open during our stay nor the bakery ."

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of October 2007

Our stay at Marmara

Reviewed Mon 15th of October 2012

"We stayed at the Marmara for a week and had a second floor room overlooking the pool. Rooms were lovely and clean with a great balcony and fab view.

Beautiful pool area which was clean and the pool attendants were very friendly and we found they couldn't do enough for us which really added to the holiday experience. They played musice daily around the pool, quite cheesy music but enjoyable in places if you like that sort of thing.

We went all inclusive and found that the choices were very limited, you also had to pay after eleven, not great considering we were not told about that when we booked.
The food though was repetitive and DIRE. not enough selection and not labelled so you don't know what you are even eating (not great if you have allergies!). somedays we couldn't face lunch or dinner we thought it was that bad. However the pool bar does some great snacks all be it for a price though, theres also a mc donalds and a kfc in a mall right next door (which we found on the last day) Watch the water we thought we were being careful but on the last day we had ice in drinks and were ill for a week after wards!

There was little in the form of evening entertainment which was a shame but the music was on until the wee hours. Careful of the mozzies though take repellant we were kept awake most nites being bitten.
The hotel seems popular with russian tourists who are friendly.

I enjoyed my stay at the Marmara it was clean and a lovely place to relax but purely for the food i wouldn't go back which is a shame."

• Travel date: Sat 20th of October 2007

Hotels near Marmara Sabena Resort

Top traveller tips for Marmara Sabena Resort

• nehar by nehar

"For diving and snorkeling wonderful, dont buy anything without bargening "

• nehar by nehar

"Fanara beach was great for snorkeling, pizzas were good :) "

• nehar by nehar

"The place is wonderfull for diving and snorkelling :) "

• nehar by nehar

"Fanara beach was great for snorkeling, pizzas were good :) "

• karlajbryan by karlajbryan

"A English pub called (The Pub) "

Marmara Sabena Resort is also called