Marmara Sabena Resort

El Fanara St, Om El Sid Hill, Sharm El Sheikh Egypt

Our stay at Marmara

Reviewed Mon 15th of October 2012

"We stayed at the Marmara for a week and had a second floor room overlooking the pool. Rooms were lovely and clean with a great balcony and fab view.

Beautiful pool area which was clean and the pool attendants were very friendly and we found they couldn't do enough for us which really added to the holiday experience. They played musice daily around the pool, quite cheesy music but enjoyable in places if you like that sort of thing.

We went all inclusive and found that the choices were very limited, you also had to pay after eleven, not great considering we were not told about that when we booked.
The food though was repetitive and DIRE. not enough selection and not labelled so you don't know what you are even eating (not great if you have allergies!). somedays we couldn't face lunch or dinner we thought it was that bad. However the pool bar does some great snacks all be it for a price though, theres also a mc donalds and a kfc in a mall right next door (which we found on the last day) Watch the water we thought we were being careful but on the last day we had ice in drinks and were ill for a week after wards!

There was little in the form of evening entertainment which was a shame but the music was on until the wee hours. Careful of the mozzies though take repellant we were kept awake most nites being bitten.
The hotel seems popular with russian tourists who are friendly.

I enjoyed my stay at the Marmara it was clean and a lovely place to relax but purely for the food i wouldn't go back which is a shame."

• Travel date: Sat 20th of October 2007

Cold Food

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"The hotel was lovely and clean with a friendly attitude from most of the staff but the food especially on a dinner time was stone cold, and after three complaints they made the food warm but still not hot. The hotel had a hand full of brits in it but most of the guest were russian (the new germans). The pools were nice but most of the entertainment was one man and one CD the babaloo club was never open during our stay nor the bakery ."

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of October 2007

Very Average...

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"Went on a 3 day diving trip and were booked at the Marmara. (This actually the second time I've been there). Because I was only in the hotel in the evenings/ later to sleep/ and early mornings- it was a great place to stay. Breakfast and dinner were not for fussy eaters but provided a number of options of quite edible food. Water pressure in the showers was very off and on. My biggest complaint is the beach that the hotel uses. Pay a bit extra and go somewhere else as their beach is overcrowded, lacking in facilities (not even a shower) and not very friendly (rocky with low coral shelf for about 50m- after that there is some good snorkeling, but it's not child friendly at all. The pool is nice, the music by the pool less so. It seemed to be full of quite a few Russian tourists.
The shopping center next door - Il Mercato- now has a Starbucks within 2 minutes walking distance- a definate plus.

You need a taxi to get anywhere, but they're cheap.

This a very average, clean, decent hotel with a few quirks. Don't stay here if you expect perfection..."

• Travel date: Thu 18th of October 2007

Nice hotel but not all we expected

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"Just returned from a week in the Marmara. The location is good with a large mall just next door which has just been built. It houses loads of shops and restaurants and entertainment areas and is well worth a look. The hotel itself is quite smart with good size modern rooms with large balconies and decent furniture. There are 3 swimming pools surrounded by landscaped gardens and lots of wooden sunbeds. There is a pool bar, lounge bar, buffet restaurant and a coffee bar and lebanese/italian restaurant. The coffee bar and restaurant are not in the all inclusive option and after 11pm the all inclusive stops and you have to pay for everything including drinks. This was the main gripe we had with this hotel as you were very limited with what the all inclusive included and that should have been made clear when it was booked. Overall though the place was nice and the staff were friendly and the pool areas were nice, it did have a private section of beach but it was quite disappointing compared to other beaches in Sharm and you had to get their by shuttle bus. Naama bay was 10 minutes away by taxi and has lots of bars, shops and restaurants. It is very reasonable to eat out so worth venturing out if you can. I would definitely go back to Sharm but would probably try another hotel that was right on the beach."

• Travel date: Sat 13th of October 2007

Fantastic Hotel

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"I stayed at this hotel with my partner, we really loved it. It was extremely clean and the staff were lovely.
Glad we didn't stay in the middle of the resort as it would have been a bit noisey, it was nice to be in a quieter area.
Taxi's were cheap, and certainly different to taxi's over here, we ended up in races with other taxi's which was a bit scary especially as some of the cars didn't have seat belts.
I had an upset stomach for nearly the entire holiday, which was a bit of a let down, but I have now discovered it was the ice, so avoid ice (I think it may have been tap water).
The food at the hotel was okay, the pool was fantastic, the pool men were very helpful, and although a previous review of the hotel said they were pervy, I would disagree, being a young female myself I didn't feel intimidated by them.
I would recommend the quad bikes, they were the highlight of the holiday... I didn't go snorkleing and wish I had, we only went on a glass bottom boat, but that was still good.
It is worth a trip to Old sharm, but I wouldn't eat there, it tends to be for locals.
Fantasia which is just down the road from the Hotel, was really good at night, plenty of shows, the dancers were really good.

I would love to go back again"

• Travel date: Mon 10th of September 2007

Nice hotel, no entertainment and lots of dirty men!

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"I travelled to Sharm with my boyfriend this summer and would never return to the country again!

I was pleased with the hotel itself, as you can see it was very clean, was very modern (open plan) with traditional attributes.

The hotel staff were very helpful when they weren't perving! Most of the guests who visit the hotel are Russian, but they are all very friendly.

There is no entertainment in this hotel. The music that is played by the pool bar is poor, its very cheesy and very repetitive.

The food was edible, you just have to be careful with what you eat so you're not ill and don't have ice with your drinks! The food becomes extremely repetitive, as it always is with all inclusive or half board, but the cafe's food was really nice and there are lots of restaurants a 2 second walk from the hotel, where there is a massive new complex which is beautiful!

Cabs try and rip you off, never pay more than 30 Egyptian pounds, which is 3 english pounds.

Naama Bay is the same old rubbish, but Pacha nightclub is really good!

Activities to do: CleoPark is amazing, Snorkelling in Turan Island, Sinai Grand Casino.

Apart from all of this, it was a lovely relaxing holiday, but the men perving over you does ruin the holiday."

• Travel date: Sat 8th of September 2007

OK hotel - but watch how much you pay for it

Reviewed Sun 14th of October 2012

"Just returned on 28th of August from a week in Sharm staying at the Marmara. This is not a bad hotel, but in my 4 trips to the Red Sea in recent years it is the worst of the 4 hotels I have stayed at. The staff are of the same level at all hotels I have stayed in, in Sharm, they just have the unfortunate experience of being at a 2nd division hotel. I booked this at fairly short notice and ended up paying over the odds, to make it worse, this was also the most I have paid to stay at a Red Sea resort.

I went with my son on a diving holiday so the hotel didn't seem so overly important as it was just somewhere to eat and sleep. If we hadn't been diving I would have been more displeased with it, but it depends on what you pay for what you get.

Reasons to go to another hotel in Sharm unless you get a bargain deal here:

- It's inland, there is no beach, you have to get a shuttle bus there and back. Other hotels have jetties to snorkel from, private beaches and restaurants and bars that overlook the sea.
- It's a small hotel with relatively few facilities, on our rest day from diving, we were pulling our hair out with boredom.
- The food is good, but as it's a small hotel there is less variety than a large hotel, we upgraded from B&B to half board for a bargain £21 per person per week, but ended up eating elsewhere 3 nights out of 7.
- Breakfast, you have to make your own tea from hot water and tea bag at a little self-service bar. Other hotels, you sit down and a waiter asks if you want tea or coffee and brings you as much as you need. This is more Blackpool B&B than 4 star hotel.
- There is no dive centre in the hotel.
- We were awoken at 6 a.m. every morning by a bell outside the buildings that is there to wake the hotel staff up!
- There was a noisy disco in the hotel next door that went on until midnight or 12.30, not great when you need to get up at 6.45 every day to go diving.

I would avoid this place in the future unless it was seriously cheap, there is SO much better not very far away."

• Travel date: Wed 29th of August 2007

Fab holiday, relaxing and good food

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"My friend and I stayed here for 1 week from 7th August. We were AI and it was great. The food was pretty good for buffet food, always a good choice and very edible. The drinks included beer, water, soft drinks and spirits, and all were excellant. We found that the staff here were fabulous, so attentive, they were the friendlist people ive ever met, they couldnt do enough for you. The rooms were clean and spacious, and beds comfortable.
We took the shuttle to the beach, and paid £1.50 each for the private beach, inlcuded sunbeds, the water was fab, and snorkelling was great, very rocky, you will need shoes. The shuttle went every half hour and was fine, always on time.
We went into Naama bay, this was an experience, not at all like anywhere else in egpyt, more blackpool in egypt. Loads of bars cafes, naff tourist shops etc. But got to be seen. Not hassled by shop owners that much, been to Morrocco and it was a doddle compared to that. The egyptians are the friendlist people ive met. I travelled with another woman, and at all times felt very safe, especially when we walked out alone, no problem for a woman on her own. The hotel was next door to a new shopping mall, and within walking distance of local type tourist shops cafes etc. Not like Naama bay. Very well positioned.
The pools were always spotless, the grounds beautifully kept, and the pool was warm, but it is august. One criticism id the noise of the music around the pool, it can get very loud, and if you ask for it to be turned down, it is, for a short period, but it goes back up again, trouble is i wasnt sure if it was just my friend and i that hated it, most people were much younger, but it is the only citicism, it would have been the perfect place if it wasnt for the noise around the pool, and theres no escape, other than going to the beach, which has to be done.

All in all i cannot recommend this hotel high enough, the staff are fantastic and made our holiday, they made us feel safe and relaxed, and treated us special. We loved it. The food is ok absolutely nothing wrong with it, it was plentiful and good. The alcohol the same. Top marks to the pool guys, who from your first day, know exactly where you want your sunbed and put it there for you, what service! This is not 5 stars, but it says that, but the staff make it feel like it. Id go back again anytime."

• Travel date: Tue 14th of August 2007

Ok Hotel

Reviewed Wed 10th of October 2012

"The Sabena hotel was really well looked after with very clean rooms and grounds, staff very helpfull and attentive. although you after chase them for your change all the time !!!, we where there in january and although the weather was hot enough to sun worship which was what we wanted. We couldnt even dip our tops in the hotel pool !. (One tip if you are going to Egypt in January is make sure the pool is heated and turned on !!!). The food in the hotel was "TERRIBLE" and totally not eatable, we had a ceasar salad on arival and it was like cat vomit. we had wine and that was as bad ! lucky we had 3 Bottles of JD with us. i only swam in Sharm el sharm Sea once due to a really bad stomach upset and it was one of the best experiences of my life with all the fish and it was a lot warmer that the hotel pool. Beware of the Taxi Drivers they are a nightmare and drive like nutters and must be licensed ! we went on a glass bottomed boat which was fantastic, we didnt do the quad biking and wished we had ? all in all i would go back to sharm but not back to that hotel, i would probably stay in NAMMA BAY and chill-out with all teh restaurants and bars etc."

• Travel date: Sat 28th of April 2007

A Pleasant, quiet experiance

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"Writing this review as there appears to be little literature on this hotel.
Hotel is very clean, with the staff all being very friendly and attentitive.
The second night we broke the bed.....but they replaced it after only 10 minutes of calling reception. lucky for us it was only 6 p.m and not too late.
This hotel is perfect if you like a relaxing quiet hotel, as most of the guests seemed 60+
The pool was freezing but always clean.
Reccommend only BB as food is quite repetitive.
location- plenty of shops near by but not really enough good restaurants. 2 min walk away is a mcdonalds, kfc, starbucks. and a few brand clothing shops.
Free shuttle bus to Naama bay where all the markets are, and to two beaches, which are not that great
overall i reccommend this hotel if your looking to chill out, not if your looking for a night life or great hotel ammenities."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of March 2007

Sabina marmara hotel Sharm El Sheike

Reviewed Wed 6th of May 2009

"Just returned to England from our 1st visit to Sharm El Sheike, Egypt. One 0f the best holidays we've ever had..Sharm El Sheike is EXOTIC!! The Egptian people are wonderful,we found them to be decent, honest, extremely respectful towards women, towards each other and to tourists. The weather cannot be faulted (unless you happen to travel there in June/July/August when the temp is very hot..apparently high 30's!. We have travelled to lots of different places including the Far East..The Caribbean..America,(east and west) and India but Egypt was our most enjoyable holiday. Hotel Sabina Marmara was just perfect for us. The staff couldnt do enough for us as guests. The setting of the pools and accommodation was just delightful. Our room was thoroughly cleaned every day with clean towells (some folded into exotic creatures!!) and the pool barman even brought us drinks to our sun loungers without us having to order!! amazing service!!..Marmara's rooms are not Egyptian Palaces but are comfy, clean, reasonably spacious with fridge and Sat TV.,lovely little private terrace with chairs and approx 3 strides to your sun lounger!! and 5 strides to the pool.!!Dining at the Marmara is buffet style every day and a really good choice too!!..meat,fish,veg,rice,potato,salad,pasta and fruit all available at every lunch and evening meal. Meal times are spread over 3 hrs at every sitting..Incredibly flexible we thought! The Hotel Manager is in evidence daily and has the most delightful and charming manner. The grounds around the pool are gorgeous!! with well maintained shrubs, trees and flowers all adding to a really picturesque setting which really impressed us on arrival. The shuttle bus at the hotel is on a timetable which is well planned and very reliable and takes guests to local beaches and the wonderfully exotic Narma Bay (10minutes away and Shopping Heaven!!)Bars Restaurants Nightlife are plentiful in Narma Bay. The 2 boat trips we booked were fabulous. 1st was called *African* and took us snorkelling at three different spots.The Red Sea is so clean and clear and incredibly BLUE ..(not RED) we saw the most beautifully colourful and exotic fish which swam right upto us and then followed us! Food and drinks were included on the trip and it was fabulous value for money, especially with the *Surprise* at the end.... *APROX 10 DOLPHINS SWAM WITH OUR BOAT!!*..The 2nd boat trip took us further away to Tiran Island, again fab for snorkelling although the sea was a little rougher in that direction and some passangers did turn a little bit green for a while"!,all food and drinks included and again excellent value for money. We intend to return to the Sabina Marmara Hotel in October this year...that's how much we loved it!!...We have agreed on one negative point.....the salt's in the pepper pot and the pepper's in the salt pot in Egypt!!..Perhaps we wont go back after all (ha!Ha!)"

• Travel date: Tue 5th of May 2009

Very disappointed

Reviewed Mon 12th of January 2009

"On the website it said that this hotel was a 4* more like a 2*. There was 7 of us that went 4 on Sunday the 4th of Jan and 3 on the 5th of Jan. when we booked we asked for 2 double rooms and one triple room witch we were told that the would not be a problem. But when we got there it was a problem and 3 of us had to sleep in 2 single beds until we finally managed to get the hotel to put us another bed in one of the rooms. The food was disgusting same thing everyday from what I could make out as we did not eat at the hotel after the first night. I was told by one of the hotel staff that the food was a Russian Menu as this is a mainly a Russian Hotel, there was only 4 English groups and the rest were Russian. The rooms were kept clean and the house keeping were very good I could not fault them one bit, apart form being very sleazy and eyeing you up all the time. I do not recommend young girls to go there on there own. Most of the bar staff were great. The MANAGER stinks I have never met anything like it before in my life his rude, pervert and should not be doing the job that he is. The all inclusive drinks are disgusting and cheap, taste like battery acid. No snacks were included in the all inclusive witch I was told they were, but the food was that bad I would not have eat them anyway. The pool was to cold to use it took your breath away when you got in NO ONE USED IT THE WHOLE WEEK I WAS THERE. The disco is just Russian music we had to keep asking to play English music.
So basiclly I would not go back to this hotel I have stayed in a lot better hotels in Egypt than this one make sure you do your homework before you book

• Travel date: Mon 12th of January 2009

Hotels near Marmara Sabena Resort

Stayed at Marmara Sabena Resort? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Marmara Sabena Resort

• nehar by nehar

"For diving and snorkeling wonderful, dont buy anything without bargening "

• nehar by nehar

"Fanara beach was great for snorkeling, pizzas were good :) "

• nehar by nehar

"The place is wonderfull for diving and snorkelling :) "

• nehar by nehar

"Fanara beach was great for snorkeling, pizzas were good :) "

• karlajbryan by karlajbryan

"A English pub called (The Pub) "

Marmara Sabena Resort is also called