Luna Sharm Hotel

City Council st, Om El Sid Cliff, Sharm El Sheikh Egypt

It was a good base

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"The Luna (no longer Mercure chain) was adequate for what we wanted. We are a family with two children under 10. We stayed B&B. Breakfast was a bit repetitive and a bit of variety would have been welcomed. The pool was great, the children loved it. The rooms were basic but sufficient for what we needed. They were cleaned daily. We went "yuk" when we saw the splattered mosi's on the walls and ceilings, but at the end of our stay, it was no problem as we'd added a few more!! We did day trips to Cairo and Luxor, Ras Mohammed National Park. Naama Bay is a short taxi ride away. Old Sharm was a disappointment. If you're not into shopping, there isn't much else there. The hotel was a good base. The weather was great."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of November 2007

Brill

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Had a brill time! Arrived at night and first impression I was dissappointed by this hotel, but things looked very different in the morning. The hotel was very clean, and the staff extremely helpful. I loved the fantastic display created with towels and flowers I received each morning on my bed. The hotel is in a very good location. I really advise a trip to see the pyramids in Cairo - Brill holiday!"

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of September 2007

Get what you pay for!!

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We recently returned from this hotel and its definitely fair to say we got what we paid for. When we first arrived we were impressed by the front of the hotel, overall it is clean and modern. The staff were fairly helpful however they did try and rip us off on our first night, so beware when you check prices on menu's if service charges and tax are included, where ever you go. The staff were generally quite helpful, theres one taxi driver mohammed who works at the hotel he was brilliant, very reliable if u ask him to come and pick you up at a certain he will be there on time!! One recurring problem we did have was our hot water it was cold on our first morning the problem was fixed but we did find that often it was just warm enough to shower, but we gave up complaining about it as we could put up with it. One major disappointment for us was the food in the hotel, it was very unappealing, we found the meat under-cooked, and not really much choice of food. The breakfast was ok, not too bad. Overall the hotel was ok, but if you plan to spend most of your time in the hotel by the pool i wouldn't personally recommend it but if you're going to spending most days at the beach or on trips it does the job. Also the location is pretty good as its equal distance from naama bay and old sharm, oh and one last thing the shuttle bus which runs which goes to the beach actually goes to another local beach not naama bay we didn't particularly like this beach as it wasn't as clean as naama bay, its worth going down to the Reef beach its much quieter and has a nice little pizzeria next to it."

• Travel date: Mon 26th of March 2007

Love it here!

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"I have to agree with the review below (GaryandLaura). I have stayed at this hotel 3 times in the last 3 years and loved it everytime. I have just come back in October and already planning to go back in March.

I must admit B&B is the best option.

The staff will do anything they can to help you. They all work very hard and very long hours for little money yet they are always there with a smile. Mohammed and Semi behind the bar are great.

The rooms are big and always clean with decorations in the room all the time.

The pool is clean, sun loungers (with mattresses) are provided. Clean beach towels are provided.

There is a bus service to the beach and Naama bay.

Outside the hotel. There is a nice little cafe over the road (the Station) which does lovely sandwiches, salads, pizzas and cakes. Next door to the hotel you can go in the reef restaurant which is part of the ocean club hotel and the food is gorgeous.

As for anyone who says about being ill on holiday. I have been ill 3 times but it doesn't put me off and I don't blame the food in the hotel. I ate out everyday so it could have been anything. Also the change in climate, the money (which is so dirty) and the water can all cause problems.

I hope that people are not put off by some of the reviews below and give this place a try and hope that you will love it as much as me.

Ann"

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of November 2006

Fantastic. Other reviews far from honest.

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"The other reviews of this hotel are more than some what over exhausted stories. My partner and I arrived at the hotel on the evening of 3rd July 2006, to a warm and welcoming reception. If you keep in mind that all staff here work 7 days a week 50 weeks of the year, on very little income and relly mostly on tips, by god to they work hard for a living. Nothing is too much trouble. there is always someone on hand to help you with anything you can throw at them. They will bend over backwards. By far this was the best holiday we have ever had, and we will deffinatley return. Our room was serviced every morning, each time we would arrive back to some special little surprise on our bed, flowers and swans made out of towels, it was lovley. the room was clean and bright, simple but very cool, which is what you need in that weaher. The restaurants was great, we ate there a couple of times, and the service was fantastic, the supervisor tarique was amazing, a credit to the hotel, as was one of the bar staff, Mohamid. The pool was wonderfull, the sunbeds were cleaned daily and our own towels placed out each evening ready for the next day. They really look after you at Mercure Luna. One morning I wanted to surprise my partner with room service breakfast, well they made a great cake, champagne, fresh fruits and juices delivered it right on time. We were quite sad to leave, we had had such a wonderfull stay. And I have to admit that it wouldn't have been the same at any other hotel, this was amazing, I can't believe any of the poor reviews, dont you believe them, if you stay at Mercure Luna, you will go home with only happy, enjoyable menories!!!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 12th of November 2006

stay at large if you can

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"The hotel pretend to be a 3 1/2 stars and it is by itself but the service has some huge problems. Personnel is generally well mannered if considered individually but there must be something in the management and organization that result in an awful job. We stayed for a week in a half board package and one day did'n pass without some problem or surprise to us or to some other host. One night I had the necessity to call a doctor from my insurance company and they didn't allow him to come to my room. They said their policy is to allow only "their" doctor to enter the hotel, so the doctor had to move me to his own host hotel by his own car. This is not acceptable anywhere in the world to me, even in Egypt. Once they didn't make up the room and I had to call twice to obtain the service. We never had handsoap/shampoo/foam and one day at midnight they started testing the pool stereo system at top volume, had to shout twice at reception to make them stop. Buffet food was slightly better than awful. Plenty of similar stories also from other guests. For who will be there anyway:please have a look at the manager!"

• Travel date: Mon 28th of August 2006

nice hotel but...

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"We stayed at the Mecure Lunar in November 2004. It was a beautiful hotel, staff were very welcoming. Our daughter aged 12 came down with a stomach bug as did most of the guests. I think that the food servery was to blame as the large serving dishes had only 1 gas light under them. The staff were trying to blame the airplane food, then the change of diet, as if in England we do not have spicey food. Would stay again but only on a B&B basis as the breakfast was ok"

• Travel date: Mon 31st of July 2006

Faulty Towers in Egypt!

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"We stayed here for one night as our flight was delayed for 24 hours. Therefore please take this into consideration as we only had 0ne night to review.
The room was pleasent and a good standard, with a large size balcony. Generally the pool area, lobby etc appreared tired and could do with a bit of a refurbishment.
The staff were very 'friendly' shall we say, I actually had to shout at one of them at breakfast as he accidently brushed passed me twice and grouped my bum- not pleasant.
The meal at night was awful- cold pasta with warm sauce, bread and a couple of meat dishes, I think had I have stayed here half board for a week I would have been very dissappointed with the food. The restaurant was basically a small room with tables and chairs and silver dishes where the food was served from- really poor.
The location is not great either as your are a taxi ride from old sharm , and i did nt see a beach near by, also the hotel is on a very busy road, therefore not suitbale for young families.
I am not very fussy but this hotel was a bit like faulty towers (if you have been or are going to go just take a look at the general manager who sits at his desk in reception, you just have to laugh!)
Also on our arrival there werea bout 10 dirty food plate/bowls stacked at the bottom of our stairwell ) with food bits still on them these were still there when we left 24hours later.
The hotel must have been empty prior to about 130 extra guests that stayed due to the cancelled flight- therefore you have to ask yourself why the hotel was so empty?!"

• Travel date: Sun 11th of June 2006

FANTASTIC HOTEL

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"Had a fantastic time in Sharm el Shiek. Although the hotel is situated away from the old town and Na'am Bay. It only costs £1.50 to old town and £2.50 to Na'am Bay in a taxi which can be found outside the hotel and seat six. I will warn you though about the taxis, they drive extremley fast and have no sense of danger, so you have to tell the driver -slow or no money. Also they will come in with a higher quote so just knock them down and always agree a price before you get in.

The hotel runs a shuttle bus service to their private beach, every hour which is 50p return. It takes about 5 minutes to get there. The beach is really nice and they have toilets, showers and volley ball.

There is also another beach called 'light house' beach which I'd highly recommend, there are about three private beaches there, one at £1.50 another at £3. We choose the £1.50 one, not knowing it would be packed, the sunbeds are almost on top of one another and theres about 150 stairs to climb down and up. Not good if you've got a buggy like us! But the fishes you could see without getting your head wet were amazing!!

The old town was an eye opening, it was the real egypt, things were dirt cheap here. We got told you needed to cover up a bit more here.

Na'am Bay was brilliant, you do get the locals saying come here, so we just walked on the left hand side where it was much quiter. The mexianican there, Tex Rex I think, I'd highly reccommend as the food was great. Be warned about the Chinese and Thai house upstairs, prices don't include tax or service charge so we were shocked by price.

Anyway, to the hotel, the location is ok, there is a couple of supermarkets, cafes and go karts over the road and thats really the only place you can walk to. The room we had was on the ground floor, opening up to the pool. It was large, with a huge bed and settee, which also folded out. It had a fridge too. The only downside was not a lot of storage or hangers. The man maid came every day and left us some towel oragarni.

We never ate at the resturant, but the bar snacks were nice. All the people who worked there were fantastic and bent over backwards to help you.

Hope you have as much fun as we did."

• Travel date: Sat 10th of June 2006

good holiday at mercure luna

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"have just returned from a week's holiday at Mercure Luna in Sharm el sheikh. We booked through Thomas Cook last minute and travelled with Thomson. Info about the hotel was confusing prior to holiday with regard to location - it was actually about 25 min walk from the beach. the hotel provides a shuttle bus which runs at set times approx 6 times per day there and back. We found this ok and went to the beach every day. Each hotel has its own beach in Sharm and you can't just go to the beach and sit where you like. We spent one day in Naama Bay and went to a public beach (£3 each) but a bunch of egyptian lads sat by us and stared at us all day which made me very uncomfortable - moved loungers a few times and kept covered up but they weren't deterred! Hotel was nice and clean, lovely gardens and polite and friendly staff. Got stung a couple of times with our bar bills but we tried to pay as we went along rather than pay at the end of the holiday. Fridge and sat tv in room, big bed and nice bathroom. Pool was unheated and was too cold to use. There were not enough sun loungers to go around. Food was ok, buffet style and good selection but I got an dose of pharoah's revenge despite being careful. Luggage got lost on the way over, turned up after 4 days, rep was hopeless. Had a good time despite the mishaps"

• Travel date: Thu 1st of December 2005

must book Luna sharm hotel

Reviewed Fri 2nd of January 2015

"Excellent hotel and very caring staff special thanks to (REDA)been very helpful very responsible price and affordable hotel,very safe environment for children and family,I am pure vegetarian and I enjoyed very tasty food so if you are vegetarian I would suggest Luna Sharm hotel, for vegetarian and with children and family, very supportive staffs, we had very safe and affordable Cairo trip in Egypt,we booked it from hotel I really enjoyed the trip to pyramids amazing experience, thanks to guide Mohammed, also we had really good advice from travel agent Mustafa Said who came to Luna Sharm hotel and advised us how to be safe and enjoy while in Egypt and some trip that enjoyable thanks for that,also we had wonderful new year party for 2015 with very testy food and some free entertainment,with traditional Egyptian dance, belly dance, magic show it was very worthy enjoyable holiday with reasonable price, thank you for all safe and enjoyable trip from Bhagvati Birks Nd Family "

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of January 2015

excellent hotel

Reviewed Fri 2nd of January 2015

"Excellent hotel, with reasonable price, excellent staffs and service, food I am pure vegetarian and I enjoyed food, very responsible price shops inside hotel you could get all in cheap price in hotel shops, also beauty parlor with cheap price. I mostly enjoyed food and realization at hotel, you could book all your trips from hotel with reasonable price. The hotel is suitable for everyone children and adults and all, as I said I enjoyed vegetarian food, if you are vegetarian and looking for reasonable price I would suggest LUNA Sharm Hotel..I enjoyed new year party and I had chance to dance with famous belly dancer and excellent new year 2015 food all this provided by free from Luna Sharm hotel overall excellent hotel and very helpful staff.thanks to hotel staffs for wonderful relaxing holiday very kind regards from Bhagvati Birk and family "

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of January 2015

Hotels near Luna Sharm Hotel

Stayed at Luna Sharm Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Luna Sharm Hotel

• Bhagvati by Bhagvati

"It's trust worthy hotel , with extremely supportive staff and safe for every one every thing near "

• Bhagvati by Bhagvati

"excellent valuable hotel,with excellent staffs service and food, very safe with family "

• hollie_parker by hollie_parker

"it is amazing and there are lots of things to see and do you wont get bored "

• hollie_parker by hollie_parker

"generally seeing their way of life "

Luna Sharm Hotel is also called