lti Tropicana Grand Azure

Nabq Bay, Sharm El Sheikh 00000 Egypt

Good

lovely hotel, appalling food.

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"My husband and I stayed here September 2005 in a junior suit, it was nice and had a restocked bar every day, just bear and soft drinks, but you could call room service and get anything you wanted.
We are used to staying at ultra all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean so unfortunately things were a little different here.
Firstly the bad things: Buffet food was APPAULING, virtually inedible, I was very ill and the 3rd day from some sort of food poisoning. The themed restaurants were quite nice. We were forced to go into Namma Bay to eat some evenings as we couldn’t get in the themed restaurants and refused to eat anymore in the buffet.
Lobby staff very unhelpful and quite rude.
Our tour rep. was useless and never around.
We were very upset that in a 5* hotel there was no waiter service by the pool, we had to get up and go to the bar for our drinks, kind of soils it.
On the good side: Possibly the best pools you will see at any hotel and enough to choose from. The water slides were great, we had loads of fun on them.
Best food was down at the beach, fantastic kebabs and freshly made pizzas.
I have never seen anywhere cleaned as much as this place, they clean the footpath all day every day.
Staff were quite friendly and some of them have a very strange sense of humour, they were funny.
We went on an all day boat trip it was very good and the quad biking is great here they let you do what you like, unlike some trips we have been on.
Even with the food problem my husband and I had a great holiday, the weather in September is fantastic. We are planning to go back to Sharm but we will stay elsewhere because of the food, shame coz the hotel is wonderful."

• Travel date: Tue 7th of February 2006

Do not beleive all that you read.........

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Firstly, my background. A single male traveller who booked a little bit (7 nights) of winter sunshine, very lastminute.

Before the trip I did my homework as many other people and read tour company web sites, holiday brochures as well as reviews on this site.

If you are a seasoned traveller, arrival at Sharm airport takes just a quick intake of breath to aclimatise to both temperature and culture. Yes it is very disorganised and yes you stand the chance of being ripped off over visa (if you are not leaving the Southern Sinai, no permit is required) and taxi costs but if you want a journey that is without a little excitement, stick to Benidorm.

From plane to luggage to coach to resort took me about 50 minutes on a 22:00 arrival time so not too bad at all.

Arrival at the hotel and check-in, was all very civilised. I let the porter escort me to my room just to be sociable and to get a general feel for the place. A good job too, stepping out of the impressively furnished concouse area I was flabbergasted by the size of the gardens and swimming pool complexes.

Down to the nitty gritty of hotel life.

The rooms:

No, not the Waldorf Astoria but certainly better than some 4* hotels I have stayed in around the world and all kept exceptionally clean.

The communal areas:

All kept to a very high standard. The restaurants are all well maintained with a high standard of food hygene. Yes they got it wrong some times but that is because it is run by human beings. One evening it was "how would you like your lamb sir, over cooked or as tough as old boots"? Fortunately these lapses were few and far between. The chefs regularly go around with temperature probes checking food temperature, something I would like to see in more buffet food arrangements.

The Restaurants:

Marakesh - Extremely good for choice and quality.

The Italian - Again, extremely good for choice and quality. The ambiance is a lot more cosy and up-market
than the buffet. Tried it once.

The Chinese - Again, extremely good for choice and quality. The ambiance is a lot more cosy and up-market
than the buffet. Tried it twice.

The Fishermans - I have been to better fish and chip shops in Weston-Super-Mare. The only poor experience of the whole trip with very average food. Tried it once, never again.

The staff:

Treat them like human beings and they cannot do enough for you. I would normally get to one of the many bars for a drink before dinner. All it took was a nod and a high and a drink was poored. It then became a magic glass, as soon as it got towards the bottom it was refilled without even having to ask.

Fellow guests:

Although I was a lone traveller, many new friends were made in a very short period of time. The place seems to attract many like minded people from the UK, especially from 'up north'. (If you ever read this Ange', it is me, Clive! Sorry I missed your departure on the last day, I cocked up on your vamooshing time).

The Russians:

Yes the resort could be called the LTI Grand Red Azur and yes, some of them are as ignorant as my backside but a fair few of them are actually quite civalised.

The Weather:

January is their coldest month. For a cople of days, we had strong chilling winds blowing up the coastline, combined with glorious sunshine. Those were the days you went down to the beach were the free sunbeds and parasoles are combined with free wind-breakers. End result, nice and warm lying in the sun.

The Sea:

Although, again, coldest time of the year for the Southern Sinai, it still plenty warm enough to swim in. Generally I find swimming just for the sake of it very boring. One of the reasons for choosing the LTI was its own private jetty and bit of coral. Although I have never tried it before, I bought a mask, snorkell and some reef shoes and was blown away with the beauty of Jacque Cousteau underwater life. An experience I would suggest at least once in their life.

All in all, I went out for a relaxing quick week away and was not disappointed in the slightest."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of February 2006

Excellent holiday!

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"I stayed at the Grand Azur with my boyfriend over the Christmas period for 11 days. When we first arrived we were really impressed - the hotel reception area is huge and very grand looking, we have since heard that it is the biggest reception in the area. We were taken to our room which seemed like quite a walk as the resort is very big. We had a very nice room which overlooked one of the swimming pools, and had a nice sun terrace which we were able to sunbathe on in the day. The room was very clean and had a TV which showed premiership football, much to my boyfriends delight on Boxing Day! The bathroom was nice and the shower was great, really powerful.

On the first night we went to the buffet for our dinner. There is a huge range of food there. I was very wary as I had been advised not to eat the salad in Egypt due to issues with food hygiene! I did however eat the salad over the course of the holiday and did not have any issues at all with illness, neither did my boyfriend.

There are 4 restuarants at the hotel that you can book to go to in the evening, they are included in the all inclusive deal. We ate in these every night and were impressed with the food in 3 out of 4 (the chinese, the fish restuarant, the italian). I did not like the food in the arabian restuarant.

For lunch everyday there are a choice of other different restuarants - we mainly ate in the buffet which seemed very clean and hygienic - the staff all wore latex gloves and we saw the food being tested for its temperature. There were 2 restuarants by the beach where you could eat lunch - one did nice greek salads with grilled chicken. The other was the pizza restuarant where we only ate once - the pizza was made and cooked outside with lots of birds hanging around. We were quite picky about the meat that we ate too which could be why we did not get ill.

In the evening there is not a great range of entertainment but the bars are nice to have a drink at. The service at the main bar is not great, you have to wait a little while, there is a terrace bar outside (wear a jumper as it gets cold in the evening!) and a bar with pool tables which is very popular with families.

You can get a bus to Na'ama Bay from the hotel (free of charge) which is about 20 mins away. It is very touristy there, the bus drops off down the road from the main area - on our first visit we did not realise that it was not far and got a cab the rest of the way but you can walk. We enjoyed our visit here but would not have wished to stay in Na'ama bay as there were lots of people hassling us to look in their shops, bars etc. The Grand Azur is quite far away from any main areas so there is not any hassle outside, likewise there is not much to do if you want to have a walk outside of the hotel - you have to get the bus/cab elsewhere. The only negative experience we had was when we got a cab to the airport on the last day and got totally ripped off by the taxi man (arranged by the hotel) - next time we would get them to be very clear about the price before we left - he charged us the journey price but doubled it as there were 2 of us! What a joke.

Other than that we really enjoyed our stay at the Grand Azur and would definately return one day, we had a lovely holiday."

• Travel date: Thu 12th of January 2006

ok

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"The hotel is very impessive and very large only entertainment was laughing at the Russians dancing all they know is the Waltz. They have got to be the rudest nation on earth, they are so rude to the staff its dreadful. The staff are great we had a great time at the Terrace bar if it was not for that bar it would have been boring the staff there have to be the best bar staff we have ever met and so funny!!!!!!! We also got on well with the bar staff in reception. Rooms were very large and clean. The food was dreadfull they only cater for Russians. My daughter was ill and so was I the doctor there is a rip off wanted to charge us 600 egyption pounds for medicine. The pharmacy over the road sold it for £17 english pounds 170 egyption and they speak great english. The medicine they give you comes in three bottles one for the vomiting(amazing stuff),one for you know what!!!!!!!and the other one to kill the bug!! A few people were on drips but if you get this medicine early enough you should be ok. This hotel knows they have a problem it needs to be sorted!! It does not help wheen the pizza man leaves food uncovered for the flies and birds to nibble at then puts it on your pizza. I had to tell him one day to cover up!!! Apart from all this the staff are great!!!!!"

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of January 2006

Beautiful Resort, but the food......!!!

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Me and my boyfriend age 20 and 23 stayed at the LTI from the 28/11/05 till 12/12/05, we have never been to Egypt before, so didnt know what to expect at all. Firstly ladies take toilet roll with you when you arrive at sharms airport because you have to pay for it...Strange. We finally arrived after we got hassled lots with our luggage, and they do expect a tip after everything, so take a little bit of change. The hotel itself is beautiful and very large, so quite a walk if your at the far end, lucky we were in the middle, cant fault the hotel in any way, pools are lovely and very clean, gardens kept very tidy...they work so hard everyday in the heat to keep it looking how it is. The waterslides are brilliant so have a go, the beach is also very nice, walk on the jetty its amazing to see all the fish smimming around by your feet, buy a snorkel and some sea shoes, you will need them. The only down side to the holiday was the food, The fish doesnt taste like fish, the chinese doesnt taste like chinese, the Italian is okay, and the Arabian is a No. The buffet, there is a large selection, but if your fussy you might struggle, soup, bread, and desserts are the best, only discoverd they had ice-cream on the last day...horrible. Both me and by boyfriend were both ill near enough the 2 whole weeks...sick and stomach upsets, not very nice when you spend half your holiday sitting on the toilet.sorry!! We both got bitten a few times so take insect repellent. We did go on a few trips, which we booked though our operator First Choice, first trip was the camels in the desert great fun and cheap, again you do get hassled. Second trip was the Ras Mohammed boat trip which is brilliant, a whole day snorkelling, drinks and a meal provided. The third trip was swimming with dolphins which was a total nightmare...would not recommend at all, the bus didnt pick us up, so we had to catch a taxi down there, when we arrived very very rude , "take off your clothes, get in pool" Had about 7 mins in pool with no help or instructions on what to do...paid £50each, never again in Egypt any way, we did complain, but they denied everything, so taking things further here, First choice didnt help at all. Apart from that we did enjoy the holiday, met loads of nice people, (apart from the Russians..RUDE!!!). Cant say i wouldnt go back, maybe only for 1week for the weather and the hotel itself.
Have fun!"

• Travel date: Mon 19th of December 2005

Absolutely Fantastic!!!!!!!!

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"Returned from our holiday in LTI Grand Azure on 1/12/05 and all I can say is absolutely fantastic!! The hotel, its rooms and grounds are immaculate and spotless, staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful and the food is good. Try the chinese restaurant, excellent food! The manager said the hotel was full when we were there but it didnt seem like it and it never felt crowded plenty of room around all the pools. Use the lower restaurant, we felt the food was better with more choice. Just one word of warning, if anyone in your party suffer from a nut allergy be careful as some of the foods contain nuts which isnt stated. Take a walk down the jetty you dont need to go snorkelling to see the fish we took loads of photos of the fish visible from the jetty. We did the trip to cairo to see the pyramids, sphinx and museum booked through the rep. We flew, which took 50 mins and it cost us £183 each but it it well worth every penny and I would recommend it to anyone, our guide had a vast array of knowledge of ancient and modern eygptian history. Take a taxi ride into naama bay, thats an experience in itself!! Lively resort with plenty to do. Overall, there is nothing negative about this hotel or resort, I would recommend it to everyone and will definately be going back again!!"

• Travel date: Sat 17th of December 2005

Grounds superb - can be improved

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"Just returned from LTI and concur with previous reviews, grounds are superb, rooms lovely but there are a number of improvements that need to be made before you can expect a 5 star hotel.

Pool - large, very picturesque but freezing cold
Entertainment - if you are happy to sit at the lobby bar all night, and not looking to be entertained. Entertainment is poor or not existence and the ride into Naama bay is about 18 kilometres!!

Food good and agree the buffet coudl be improved. Rooms we large and spacious however listening to others I understand this is not always the case!!

Overall had a great week met some great people, both in hotel and Naama bay - particularly enjoyed the Wales vs Australian Rugby game in the Camel Bar. A great time was had by all Welsh supporters

If you have any specific questions feel free to mail [email protected] and I'll do my best to answer you it"

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of December 2005

ok

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"First off if you are told you have a desert view that means you will more than likley have a building site view, we asked to be moved and the manager was very unhelpfull all he was after was more money so be aware!! The hotel was very pretty and the reception was outstanding especially the glass domed ceiling everything is very clean rooms very ok and quite spacious.The buffett was never hot always warm food and we all (4) of us had tummy bugs which you do expect in Egypt but sure it was down to the warm food so if you can eat in the a la carte as often as you can then the food is hot, The Italian resturant is wonderfull food great and staff are excellent,Chinese is also great food very good Fish was ok Oriental did not like.All staff are very helpfull and friendley especially the lads who clean your rooms and the pool staff all in all we had a great holiday except for the view."

• Travel date: Sun 27th of November 2005

Great Hotel

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Just returned (10/11/05) from 2 weeks in the LTI Grand Azure. First impressions of the hotel were great, spectacular reception. Be prepared for a lengthy sign in procedure and a wait to get to your room. The hotel is large but it does get smaller when you have found your way around. We did most of our sun bathing on the beach and were thankful for the wind breakers at times, and ladies you can bath topless (so can the men). The food is OK but quickly becomes repetitive in the main restaurant. Utilise the speciality restaurants, we did, we used the Chinese, Sea food, and Italian. The evening entertainment is limited but we found the service and staff at the Terrace Bar great, much better than the Reception Bar where sometimes my wife and I felt invisible. The pool areas are great and there are plenty of activities for the kids. The wooden jetty to the swimming/snorkeling area of the sea is safe and solid, and either take your own snorkeling gear or buy it on a trip to Namma Bay, it's half the price of the on site shop. The shuttle bus to Namma Bay actually drops you off at the Rosette Hotel a good 10 minute walk to the main shopping/bar area of Namma Bay with "Beeping" taxis all the way. the rooms at the LTI are well maintained and very comfortable, the grounds of the hotel are great and constantly being cleaned and maintained. The hotel in all is very good and the staff are helpful and very friendly but are hard pushed to keep up with the amount of guests in the hotel especially in the main restaurant so have some patience you are on holiday so chill out and give the staff a break. If you go to Namma Bay and get a taxi back do not pay more than 50 EGP and make sure he is aware which hotel you want to go to because their trick is to suddenly realise that where you are going is farther than he thought and he needs to charge you more, do not fall for that one, we did first time but soon learnt. We really enjoyed our time at Sharm and our trips to Namma Bay and Old Sharm (20 EGP trip for Rosette Hotel to Old Sharm) Do not forget to haggle for everything, friends of our even haggled in a chemist for headache tablets. Oh by the way one of our Namma Bay shopping trips ended at 2-10 a.m., shops stay open late in Namma Bay."

• Travel date: Fri 11th of November 2005

Grand Azure

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"Me and my Partner returned from the Grand Azure on 1st November, we had an absolutely fantastic time! We have no complaints what so ever about this Hotel and cant understand how some poeple really disliked it.?

We had a great room overlooking the waterfalls pool, we always had our fridge stocked up with Bottles of beer and water that the cleaners left us and also had swans made out of towels left on our bed with flowers scattered around!

The Hotel is Huge, at a stroll it would take at least 10 minutes from the Lobby all the way down to the Beach, there is a train that goes around the hotel but couldnt see the point of having it unless you have trouble walking.

The Buffet restaraunt was fine aslong as you broke the week up with the a la carte restaurants otherwise the food did get a bit repetitive. The Italian was the best closely followed by the Chinese, the oriental was nice if you like that sort of thing. We didnt try the fish restaurant as we both dont like fish but we did hear good comments from people who did go.

We did have trouble getting sunbeds in our second week this was due to the kids being on halfterm! The last few days we had to get up and go and put out towels on a couple of sunbeds otherwise you would have no chance of getting one. We did notice that some poeple put there towels on sunbeds and never actaully came down to them all day long.
Loads and loads of Russians there, didnt actually believe that they was as rude as some poeple had actually said. They are trust me. We did notice some that were very polite, must be from a different part!

The jetty out to the sea was very long. Long way too cool down if you want to have a swim and by the time you got back you needed to cool down again. Fish were amazing, you deffinately need to get some snorkels and sea shoes!

We did go into the Nama Bay a couple of nights, we ate at the Hard Rock Cafe like every tourist does. You do get hassled in the shops but if the price is too much then start to walk out of the shop and the price will soon drop to something more reasonable.

Anyway hope i have covered everything, hope you all enjoy your holidays, i'd deffinately go back!

Oh if you want to do the Luxor and Cairo excursions then take a bit of money with you. We went by Air to both and it cost £170pp for each trip, so we did manage to spend most of our money within the first day of being there, but like they say you cant go to Egypt without seeing the Pyramids!!!

Last thing, we did get a bad stomach out there, but this was not due to the food as me and partner had it at different times of the holiday and we ate basically the same things. I think it was more due to the heat than anything. English medicine does not work, (i managed to take a whole pack of immodium and it had no affect), go to the chemist over the road at the other hotel and it will sort you out straight away. A wee bit expensive but worth it! :O)"

• Travel date: Tue 8th of November 2005

DO NOT EVER BOOK WITH THOMSON HOLIDAYS

Reviewed Wed 1st of May 2013

"This hotel is amazing and the staff are amazing as well as for thomson losing my bag on the day we arrived thank you for your zero care and zero suporrt you guys are a joke and i will never ever book with you again!!!!!!."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of May 2013

Lovely holiday

Reviewed Thu 11th of April 2013

"My partner and I had a lovely holiday, the staff were very friendly and helpful and couldn't do enough to help us, assiff was wonderful in the restaurant always working so hard to make all the guests welcome he is a real assist to the hotel.. The food was plentiful and we always found something to eat, towards the end of our holiday the hotel opened a restaurant down near the beach for British holiday makers only, whole turkey steak and many other tasty main courses, English veg lots of salads that had been washed in sanitised water most enjoyable , ....our room was clean and we were very happy with it....we went snorkelling every day except two days when it was too rough the life guards were friendly and happy to chat to us telling us the best place to see the fish and they were awesome, there is a lovely girl called Lynsey who's job it is to look after the British holiday makers, she would do her utmost to put any problems anyone had right, we found her to be a very approachable friendly girl. We have already been looking for our next holiday and hope to revisit tropicana grand azure in October ....vonda and paddy Bristol England."

• Travel date: Mon 8th of April 2013

Hotels near lti Tropicana Grand Azure

Stayed at lti Tropicana Grand Azure? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for lti Tropicana Grand Azure

• lacetop by lacetop

"Enjoy any easy sun filled holiday and let the hotel staff pamper you. "

• lacetop by lacetop

"The chinese and italian restraurants in the Hotel "

• woof by woof

"You should try and stay inside your resort because the shops overchargde you for everything. "

• monastry by monastry

"Go see a different way of life "

• monastry by monastry

"The Italian and Oriental restaurants are superb. "

• clelliot by clelliot

"ITALIAN RESTURANT IS A MUST .. BEST FAKE HANDBAGS EVER IN EGYPT!! "

• choco by choco

"Steer Clear of Churchills "

• katiewilson by katiewilson

"amazing experience, opens your eyes to a very different culture "

• katiewilson by katiewilson

"The pyramids are a must see if you go here! "

• GORDY1 by GORDY1

"nice people even though they can be a nuisance, just say LA SHOKRAN WHICH MEANS NO THANK YOU "

• GORDY1 by GORDY1

"MEDDITERANEAN, ITALIAN AND CHINESE. AND ALSO DO GO TO FANTASIA BUT DO IT YOURSELF MUCH CHEAPER BY TA "

• T Denby by T Denby

"loved the chinese restaurant in the hotel and the peking outside the hotel "

• zoewalker by zoewalker

"It is lovely place to be "

• M Mulhern by M Mulhern

"upgrade from standard to superior if you want a decent room "

• lordmogg by lordmogg

"Make sure of your room details eg family. "

• bettyboo by bettyboo

"go book this hotel.asap!! "

• family holidays by family holidays

"BEWARE if you book this hotel independently! "

• bubs by bubs

"We would go back with our family we enjoyed egypt "

• boissy by boissy

"VERY GOOD COMPLEX, WOULD RETURN "

• lcarder by lcarder

"Fails on the basics of good service "

lti Tropicana Grand Azure is also called