Jaz Mirabel Beach

Nabq Bay, Sharm El Sheikh Egypt

Take a Packed Lunch You Might Need it !!

Reviewed Mon 26th of October 2009

"Just returned from the Jaz Mirabel Beach complex in the early hours of this morning and thank God we are home. Its all superficial is all i can say, it looks superb and it is very clean and tidy but OMG the food is nothing short of appalling. We booked through Portland Direct and paid in excess of £1500 for the two of us for one week All Inclusive. This was a big mistake we should have booked to return to the Maldives where we had been in March of this year. Now that is exclusivity and nearly the same price.
Prior to leaving a work colleague had visited this hotel two weeks before we were due to go, his reports weren't filling me with confidence before we left. Apart from the coach driver at the airport virtually demanding a tip before putting the cases into the mini bus this was probably the only time we got hassled for tipping. Saying that, i didn't feel safe & secure enough to leave the hotel grounds for the week of our stay. Reports from other hotel guests weren't helping either as we were told of bags and wallets etc going missing on trips into the local areas.

The holiday was supposed to be All Inclusive, this is not the case. There are 5 rest two of them are included in your package. The other three are Italian, Asian & Lebanese themed. I never used any of these as we were getting mixed reviews from other guests and due to the fact that the cost was £60 per couple per night for a 3 course meal to use them. This isn't what I class as all inclusive. So we stuck to the canteens (that’s all they were) that were included. One of which wouldn’t allow men in with shorts on, although the women walked around with very little on indeed, double standards? The choice of food was atrocious, we were advised not to eat anything that wasn’t fully cooked (why would there be anything?) so i kept away from the salads for obvious reasons. The bread was very stale and dry and no-one seemed to use the cloth to hold the bread to cut it. I stayed away from the soup as we were warned to avoid any water that wasn’t bottled and couldn’t guarantee where this had come from. So this left the hot food selection. Each and every night of our stay consisted of the following Claggy white rice in a warming tray, 1 beef dish (one night it was in a creamy white leak sauce that looked disgusting), sautéed vegetables, 1 chicken dish (this had melted cheese on one occasion), mashed potato that you could have drunk through a straw, and 1 fish dish. There were two Chefs!? cooking food along the rear wall of the restaurant (sorry, Canteen!) and this sometimes consisted of deep fried small fish bites in batter or the vegetarian option of pasta with a bland tomato sauce.

The breakfast was about the only edible meal we could eat, the usual array of cereals was on offer but the integrity of the milk was just too much of a put off. So my Wife had toast and juice while i had two freshly cooked eggs with beans and some small sausages. The eggs were superb and the guy that cooked them was the nicest genuine person I spoke to all week, thanks. The pastries that were available were just recycled from the night before although the croissants from time to time were edible. The coffee/tea situation was nothing more than comical. The waiters are constantly walking around wanting to top up your cup at every possible moment. The only problem being there isn’t enough cups to go around, this is at a time when the canteen was only a quarter full. On more than one occasion I visited the coffee/tea station to find no cups, no sugar or no spoons. I was stirring my coffee with the handle of a desert spoon most of the holiday.

The lunchtime menu was just as inviting to the point where we stopped going and started using the poolside snack bars, if it weren't for the margherita pizza's on offer i'm sure my Wife would have starved.

I know i'm painting a desperately disappointing picture here but this is the worse parts of our holiday, the hotel infrastructure and cleanliness is superb but this lets itself down far too easily. I believe there are three things that need to be right to have a fantastic time and they are good hotel room etc, good weather & good food and we missed out on one of those three.

Some people will be reading this thinking "What a Victor Meldrew" etc but in a previous life i spent 5 days a week driving a car transporter around England, Scotland & Wales eating in some of the best & the worse cafes this country has to offer and i can honestly say that if this were a cafe I would never call again.

To top off the final day of our week we elected to pay to keep the room longer until our coach arrived for the transfer back to the airport, we enquired at reception as to how much this would be and was told £71 for the 6 hours we needed it, we reluctantly paid this so as we had a toilet and showers available when we needed them. Believe me after eating here all week you won’t want to be too far from the toilets. The hotel decided to turn off our room cards after we should have originally booked out so I walked the distance back to the reception to get them turned on again. This took some explaining as my receipt for the room was in the safe in the room I couldn’t get into! Cards now reactivated I walked the long distance back to the room only to find that they didn’t work, so back again i went. Cards reactivated AGAIN I went back to find the cleaner in out room cleaning it out ready for the next guests, I tried my best to explain that we had paid to keep the room until 6pm but this wasn’t working. So for the next 15 minutes we shared our room with the cleaner.

We definitely aren't snobs and normally go with the flow of what life throws at us but this is no 5 star hotel, we stayed in the Maldives at Hudhuranfushi which is only supposed to be 3 star, i think, and it blew the socks off this place.

So all i can say is from my experience do yourself a favour and book somewhere else, and if it were me that wouldn't be Egypt.

• Travel date: Sat 24th of October 2009

Jaz Mirabel Club and resort simply an awesome place to stay!

Reviewed Mon 3rd of August 2009

"Jaz Mirabel club resort attached to the Jaz Park hotel and Jaz Beach hotel on one giant resort centre is simply 100% 1st class. 4* but with the essence of a much higher class than it is rated in our opinion.
Minor issue with room when first arrived and was asked to stay in another hotel over night but the Jaz staff picked us up and our lugage via golf cart and sorted everything out the very next morning. High class of service and staff remember exactly who you are and what you first names are. Upgraded room too which was so clean and an excellent size and quality with balcony and pool views. Cleaning team perfect and even made sculptures from the towels and sheets in our room to entertain us daily!
Resort incredibly large but well staffed and very clean. Towel service provided both in your room and at the poolside. Pools guarded by lifeguards etc we thought was great.
Range of bars and snack bars to use across all 3 hotels, bank on site-HSBC, shops and restaurants all on site very good although watch your currency exchange in some of the shops as some shop keepers will try to catch you out! Beach right off your doorstep with friendly staff at beach bars and a watersports centre too. Nothing gets paid for until you leave the hotel so it is easy to rack up a bill you didn't expect so be carefull.
Security personnel present in many locations but they blend in and are friendly and chatty with you. All hotel frontages are gated and manned by police for safety.
If you are going for snorkeling, this place is the best spot, with a sunken cargo liner right off the beach and a peir to walk out to the coral reef with easy access to the water you will spend half your day every day out there! Every possible fish imaginable there including some big stuff! We swam with a turtle that passed through, dolphins reasonbly close by, sting rays and other great marine life. Take care of the lion fish as they appear friendly and interested in humans! These are the most poisonouse fish on the planet! Spikes protrude from their bodies so you know what to look out for! Sting rays, yellow with blue dots are equally as dangerous but they usually keep a reasonable distance. One tip, take water/coral shoes as you will cut your feet in the sea if not. Buy them before you go too as we had to pay nearly £30 for 1 pair, this was the only time we got ripped off as they should have been £5.00.
Private yacht trip is a must, just £50 each person per day and out on the boat for around 9 hours but you go to the marine national park of Ras Mohammed. 2 snorkleing trips and a trip to Tiran island simply awesome. Boat only holds 23 people too so is spacious.
Stargazer night in the desert with the Bedwin people is a must. We saw our solar system incredibly clear. Also saw juptier and saturn through their telescope and met and ate with the Bedwin people. Security quite heavy to protect you but don't let this put you off going. Views amazing.
Food was pretty good to us, reasonably varied and much non egyptian food so not to upset you too much. Be prepared for stomach trouble though. Most brits seemed to experience at least 1 day of bad stomach cramps and at least two thirds of a week diarreah but it doesn't really affect your holiday too much.
All in all we would happily, and intend to stay with the Jaz resort again as this all inclusive holiday was the best trip and stay anywhere we have been. Some people say the egyptians are rude and aloof, we simply don't see it, they were very friendly, hospitable and very attenetive to your needs. We would suggest you take english pound coins or American dollars to tip as they are paid very low wages but they work hard to be tipped and this is how staff know they are doing a good job for you. Tip more during your first few days, especially in the bar and you will never have to que for your drinks and often will be served before the ques (Much to the annoyance of some others that seemed to complain about everything!!) all in all, don't hesitate to go to Sharm or to this hotel group. 100% perfect."

• Travel date: Sat 1st of August 2009

school canteen

Reviewed Mon 3rd of August 2009

"hotel looks 5* SERVICE TO PUT IT BLUNTLY PANTS buffee was like going to the zoo i did not expect to que for breakfast and dinner 5* dont for get .girl freind got food poisoning (not the heat or alcohol) the fish was raw and she ate some before realising. i took this to reception .i told them to give it to the manager only because lots of guests had been ill and always told it was heat or alcohol as my girlfriend was told the next day suprise surprise .overall hotel and grounds are kept excellent. the shops will rip u off big time BEWARE ps and their perves. if u want good service you pay for it, iam a suker and i worked it out that i must haved tip 250 english and at the end wished i had not as of the egyption people just think we are walking pound signs and thats all not friends .they are very switched on people so be warned .other than that weather mint good sun tan too weeks off work not all bad. thanks for reading this honest review ps supposed to be alot better winter and easter but thats hearsay??

• Travel date: Fri 31st of July 2009

jaz mirabel beach

Reviewed Thu 2nd of July 2009

"Had a fantastic holiday at this hotel, our ist time all inclusive and it was wonderful,
hotel spotless and staf could be more friendly or helpful, we are alreay booked
for next year "

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of July 2009

What a great hotel !

Reviewed Thu 7th of May 2009

"I always check these websites before going away but never take the time to post my thoughts myself, so, here goes. I did feel this hotel warranted me taking the time to write this feed-back as it’s so good – normally we only hear about the bad ones don’t we? We have just returned from our second Jaz Mirabel Beach holiday. We obviously returned to the same hotel because we’d had such a good experience last year and, you’ll be interested to hear, the hotel has made small refinements and improvements making this years’ holiday even better. Let’s start with the hotel itself – new, spotlessly clean, well designed, thoughtfully laid out with lawns and beautiful flowers, comfortable sun beds, plenty of sun shades, plenty of room for everyone around the entire site and especially the pool areas (2 large heated pools and two large non-heated as well as a couple of safe toddler pools). Despite there being a relatively high number of rooms, it really doesn’t feel at all busy, possibly also due to the fact that it was much quieter this year (Easter fortnight) and nowhere near full, one assumes, due to the economic climate. Even last year when it had more guests it was spacious. The Jaz Mirabel Club and the Jaz Mirabel Park are both smaller hotels adjoining the Jaz Mirabel Beach so you can wander into them through pathways that join the three together, great it you like the idea of using the waterslides at the Jaz Mirabel Park. It should be noted that, due to different coloured wrist bands, you can’t get all-inclusive drinks from the other two hotels however, their facilities, especially the slides, are an added bonus which we used every day. As the name suggest the JM Beach is the only one of the three with a beach frontage and a shallow shelving beach – my seven year old daughter and I walked out towards the horizon one day and, twenty minutes out, were still only thigh deep in the water, great for exploring the starfish, sea urchins, sea cucumbers etc.
The food – always a good, varied assortment with options for everyone and deserts to die for! A lovely ‘welcome’ cocktail each evening was a new touch this year. On this point it is worth mentioning a subject that seems to occupy peoples’ minds a lot – Pharoah’s revenge (the runs). My family and I have had two unblemished holidays without encountering diohrrea (or dehydration which is what it actually is in most cases). We have ice in our drinks, eat the salad and generally do not worry about it. We do two things which have served us well – 1. Wash our hands before eating and after handling their money. 2. Drink lots of water throughout the day and stay hydrated. Bottled water is readily available and there are water coolers throughout the site too. (The combo of drinking lots of alcohol throughout the day and going from a milk bottle to a lobster in the sun in the course of half a day as so many people seemed to inexplicably do will certainly help you get the runs if you want it as a conversation piece).
The staff – welcoming and pleased to help in our experience. We learnt the word for ‘thank-you’, ‘Shukran’, which we used and was very well received. Small thing I know but it’s a contrast to the Russian guests (he says generalising) who can be a little....brusque, shall we say.
Kids Club – no Thompson Kids Club at this resort, however, there is an International one run by two (polite) Russian girls. Less structured and resourced than a Thompson Kids Club but our daughter still enjoyed it very much as well as the mini disco each night.
So, to sum up. We would go back in a heartbeat. The five hour flight is only marginally longer than the Canaries but must less that the W Indies – good for travellers young and old. The weather is always guaranteed – we’ve always gone at Easter and had sunny 30 degree temperatures daily.
I hope this helps.......

• Travel date: Tue 5th of May 2009

i would not recommend

Reviewed Mon 27th of April 2009

"I had to change the hotel after half an hour spent at the reception. non trained staff, bad handling of situations, lack of formal dress code, feeling of disinterest both in the benefit of the hotel and the pleasing of the guests. it is shamful that such a nice place be run by such people."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of April 2009

terrible staff

Reviewed Mon 27th of April 2009

"i gave the hotel a three for the location, the desgn, the beach and the rooms, but has the worst staff ever; terrible front desk, terrible night managers and i would not repeat this mistake again."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of April 2009

Fantastic holiday

Reviewed Fri 3rd of April 2009

"My boyfriend and I stayed at the Jaz Mirabel Beach Resort for a week in November. I think we must have stayed in a different place to some of the people who have written reviews on here!!!!

From the second we arived at the hotel they could not do enough for us, the reception area is amazing. They take your bags to the room for you which which was spacious, modern and very very clean. We has a beautiful view of the pool, beach and sea from our balcony.

The cleaners and gardeners must work 24/7 because the whole place was absolutely spotless. The pool area was huge, with plenty of sunbeds and umbrellas. The pool bars were great, the food is quite basic just chips, pasta and pizza mostly but it was fine. The only bas thing about sunbathing near the pool is the guy who comes around pestering you to buy magazines, NOW magazine cos £8.00 and the newspapers were a fiver and 3 days old!

The mall on the complex is also full of shopkeepers trying to rip you off so be careful. Theyt also hassle you tremendously, to the extent that we never want back after one wander round there. The same is true for Naama Bay. If you have blonde hair which I have, it's a nightmare. But you just have to be firm and say no but it can be quite intimidating.

The food at the hotel was gorgeous, the hours for lunch and dinner etc are long so there was never a huge queue. There was loads of choice and we never experenced any problems whatsoever apart from the odd pervy waiter. The most annoying thing about dinner time were the Russians, of which there were loads!!, who pushed in constantly and had no concept of manners whatsoever. We didn't try the other three restaurants as the main ones were so lovely!

The entertainment was ok, there wasn't that much as it was the winter monhs, but could imagine that there would be much more in the summer. There's a nightclub which was surprisingly busy, but was full of quite young foreign teenagers so not that great.

The spa was fab, we went every day after the sun had gone down and it was a great way to end a day in the sun.

The beach was nice and clean with sunbeds and windbreakers but the sand is very shaley and is quite painful on your feet. Snorkelling was great but the water is very shallow for about a mile so there's no swimming in the sea in the true sense of it.

We went on a daytrip quadbiking in the desert and meeting the Bedouin people. I would definately recommend this trip to anyone. It was a fantastic day and well worth the money. We also did a bar crawl in Naama Bay which was also fun, full of young English people like us. The bar crawl starts off at smaller bars and so is quite cheap but then ends up in TGI Fridays and the Hard Rock Cafe which is quite expensive. Good night though!

Out of the three hotels on the Jaz resort, the Beach definately looked the best, it had the best pool and the best bars and was right on the beach.

Overall I would definately recommend the Jaz Mirabel Beach Resort to anyone, we absolutely loved it there. Although would recommend going in the winter months as can imagine it would be rammed in the summer. Ignore the extremely negative reports some people have written, some people just like to moan!! We would definately go back.

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of April 2009

my reccomendation

Reviewed Sat 7th of February 2009

"having visited sharm for the first time i would like to say how enjoyable it was. the resort was spotless,the room was well worth the money.the people working on the resort were very helpfull and freindly.Food and entertainment were good.I will definateley return for another winter break. "

• Travel date: Sat 7th of February 2009

Excellent Hotel

Reviewed Wed 28th of January 2009

"This review is based on a couple aged 23 and 27.
Me and my partner stayed in the Jaz Mirabel Park Hotel November 2008 and would recommend this hotel it was great and I can’t understand why anyone would dislike it.

Location: The hotel is situated on the jazz complex consisting of the beach; park and club, there are other complexes nearby and a few shops if you venture outside the complex.
It is a 20min bus journey to naarma bay, the hotel has a shuttle bus service that run throughout the day at various times and it costs about £6 for the round trip. I must warn you that naarma bay is not for people who don’t like to be harassed, the locals will harass and try and drag you into their shops, there is no need to be nasty just a strict 'NO' and they get the message and leave you alone.
If you stay at the park hotel it is about a 5 minute walk to the beach through the complex (which is huge!) There are free sun lounges, wind-breakers and parasols on the beach. The beach is very like shale ands is hard to walk on, you are able to walk about a mile out to sea and it will only reach your knees protective shoes are a must have as the coral will cut your feet they can be bought from the complex shop for a few pounds they are like those croc clogs.

Hotel: The hotel is very clean and tidy, the entrance hall is unbelievable and the cleaners work 24/7 keeping it spotless. All of the rooms in the park look onto the pool, we had a ground level room which had a garden and the upper levels have a balcony. The room was very spacious and was cleaned everyday. The garden was kept tidy and spotless by the gardeners which work all day and night I think. We tipped the maid a few pounds and he was over the moon, he worked very hard and always made sure we had everything we needed. The hotel has the beach bar which is included in all inclusive, the pool bar and the hotel bar. On the second night we tipped (2 pound, they love English money) the waiter and for the whole of the holiday he made sure we never left our seats he got us all of our drinks. (TIP a few pound tip goes a long way!)

Food: There is plenty to choose from. In the main buffet dinner there is a different theme each night all week. It does get al little repetitive, but the food is excellent compared with the conversation that we had with other people from different hotels; the jaz is the best quality. The each bar and pool bar serve food until 5pm, chips, burgers, pizzas and sandwiches. The food is different as you are in a different country and culture, if you want British food I suggest stay in Britain or go to benidorm but don’t go to Egypt. We never suffered the dreaded 'Egyptian belly bug' some people in the hotel did. I think you just need to be sensible in what you eat and drink plenty of bottled water; it was nothing to do with poorly cooked food! More like eating too much exotic food and drinking too much alcohol. The bar is open 10am and all drinks are available from then if you please. There are three restaurants which you have to pay for an Italian, Asian and Chinese I think.

Trips: Thomson have lots of trips on offer, however some are expensive. We went to Cairo to visit the pyramids and the museum. We went by aeroplane and it cost £170 pounds it was worth it, the pyramids are a must see but be warned it is not for the faint hearted and I would not do it again.
The coach picks you up from the hotel about 5am; your flight is at 8am to Cairo. There is no rush in the airport staff we were still checking in at 7.45am then there was a great rush to get us on the flight. The flight only has people on who are going on the trip however this consists of other nationalities. The flight is about 40mins, you get picked up from the airport and are in small groups all of the same nationality and taken to the mosque of Mohamed, the pyramids, an art gallery, lunch on the Nile and the Cairo museum. All of the time you have an Egyptian guide who guards you with his life. It is a very long and tiring day. The Egyptians in Cairo harass you a lot; it got to the point, where the guide had to step in at the pyramids as they would just not leave the British women of the group alone. Also remember you are in a Muslim country so you need to cover up on this trip. I suggest you cover leg and arms. On this trip the French people were unbelievable, very rude and pushed the queue all the time. At one point they were pushing a small British boy out of the way to get onto the aeroplane first it was unbelievable and you had to witness it to believe it I was appalled by their behaviour.

In the hotel you need to watch the French people they have no manners and I don’t think they know what a queue is. They go straight to the bar and skip the queue and shout what they want to the bar staff. However the bar staff are not stupid and tell them to wait their turn in a polite manner.

The entertainment is not up to much in the hotel, but is ok if you want a quite relaxing holiday. I dont think that there is much for the children to do either (not that we had children with us), but we did go in november and I don't think there was a kids club for the british youngsters, Howvere there is a class water park withe four great slides! There is a British bar outside the complex which shows all the football matches, the owner is British and really friendly and the beer is cheap to.

Overall it was a great holiday and a experiance at times. The hotel is super and the location is good. Going to see the pyramids is a must do and I would recommend this holiday as relaxing break to anyone all ages.

• Travel date: Wed 28th of January 2009

Great Family Holiday

Good
Reviewed Mon 19th of January 2009

"We stayed at the Jaz Mirabel Park Hotel which is one of the three Hotels in this complex. We went on a friends recommendation and were not disappointed.
The room was fantastic, very clean and when minor faults were reported they were repaired within the hour (flat batteries in the safe)
The staff were friendly and polite. It is a very buisy restaurant/self service facility, but we timed it carefully avoiding peak times and had no problems. My son is a very pick eater and he was able to find plenty to satisfy him. We used the beach bar for drinks and the pool side bar and had no problems at all getting served. A pound coin here or there certainly helps, but the only place there appeared to be an expectation of a tip was when the porter loaded the suitcase onto the coach at the airport.
I would advise to avoid going topless as this is a Muslim country and although the Beach resorts are very Western it may offend or cause unnecessary attention.
We went on a couple of trips organised through Thomson -
The Submarine Trip, This was OK but I wouldnt rush to do it again.
The Day Trip to The Ras Mohamed National Park- Excellent Trip would score 10 out of 10.
Desert trip to see the Bedoin - This was a poor excursion.
My husband did a dive package - he shopped around but found the Thomson Package offered the best value.
We went into Sharm Suk by Taxi and spent a couple of hours shopping - The taxi was reliable and reasonable.
We shopped in the resort market it was great for the children to buy souveniers and sweets and we used our complimentary vouchers at the Italian were the food was OK but the wine was expensive.
The entertainment was Ok we saw belly dancing and a Desert Drum Dance and there was a theatre in The Park were there was evening shows for children. The kids club is Italian and my 10 and 8 year children would not entertain it, they spent hours on the slides."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of January 2009

Paul Southall

Reviewed Fri 14th of November 2008

"after stopping in the jaz mirabel park earlier in march i thought the beach would be a bit more special, WRONG, yes it's spacious and clean but the service was awful, we always give a tip where ever we go but this was expected far too much, i thought i would have to tip them for just talking to them at one stage, the park is far more down to earth with excellent service, i would not go here again just put this one down to bad experience "

• Travel date: Thu 13th of November 2008

Hotels near Jaz Mirabel Beach

Stayed at Jaz Mirabel Beach? Share your insight.