Island View Resort

Shark's Bay, Sharm El Sheikh 46611 Egypt

Good

Just the ticket

"We booked a last minute, allocate on arrival trip to Sharm, all that was guaranteed was 4* all inc. I couldn't believe my luck when we arrived at this hotel.
Firstly Sharm airport arrivals was a dump, ladies don't visit the toilets, they are awful and are full of women wanting to charge you £1 to go (they can even change a £20 if you're stuck!!) Just grin and bear this bit you will survive.
The hotel was lit up with Xmas decorations, so much for only having Winterval in UK in case we upset folks, and we were given a suite, as the chap wanted us to have a 2nd honeymoon. the loud bang was my husband hitting the floor, collapsing with dread, only joking!
The room was very spacious, bath with shower , mini bar with soft drinks and water, water replaced daily, safe FOC,tv, 2 balconies, air con and plenty of storage.
Beach towels provided, beach great, with pontoons out to sea. snack bar and drinks on the beach and restaurant at beach entrance. Plenty of pools to choose from inc one near the beach, all with bars.
We got upset stomachs on day 2, but pharmacy nearby was excellent, gave us the potions and advised us to eat lightly, which worked.
I didn't eat or drink too much and it was almost like being at an expensive detox spa and came home feeling fantastic with a tan.
We got a free haircut, free diving session and a free massage included.
Food was plentiful and it was always easy to find something. Drinks were fine also, with plenty of choice.
The staff were amazing and happy to go the extra mile for you. The were genuinely very polite and friendly and really made the holiday for me.
I will return asap, I often travel alone and would have no problems staying at this hotel as a female on here own."

• Travel date: Mon 8th of January 2007

loved it!

"Just got back from a great stay at this hotel. Rooms were lovely spacious and clean and the staff were wonderful. the grounds were so well kept and spotlessly clean.

Food wasn't fantastic but for what we paid it was great value for money. One of us had a stomach upset but as we both eat the same food we think it might have come from Ice in the vodka so be careful.

Naama bay worth a visit but old sharm was a waste of time, but probably worth a visit to see the butchers, you will never eat meat again!!!

Please tip the waiters as they are so lovely and earn naff all and the russians are so rude to them and they still manage to smile, they don't even get a day off, it makes you count your blessings.

the pools were lovely but only one of them was heated - very bracing! Weather was great and the snorkelling amazing, you can hire all the gear cheaply from the beach.

All in all a relaxing great value break in the sun would go here again for a winter break."

• Travel date: Thu 30th of November 2006

Wasn't what i expected!

"Stayed here for 11 nights and returned home on 20/11/06, booked this resort as a last minute deal so got a good deal in a way.
It was dark when we arrived so couldn't really tell what the place looked like, but on a first impression it seemed nice, the check in was easy and you left your luggage outside got tickets from reception to put on it and a bellboy type of bloke brought it to our room about 5 mins after we got in.
Room itself......wasn't as good as i was expecting, considerating the star rating it has got, but it was ok, the room had a tiled floor which i thought could have done with a really good mopping but all the bed linen and towels were changed everyday, our room was towards the bottom end of the resort so had a lovely view of the see from our balcony. Had problems with the shower (it was either red hot or cold) the other half wanted a bath but we had no plug and it took us about 5 days to get one and when they got us one it was on a rusty chain that if you just left it in the bath when you went to move it later it left an orange mark behind. The bed could have been an orthopedic as it was like sleeping on a stone slab and woke up most mornings with a stiff back.

Food.......didn't really think it was all that special and thought it was really hard to get drinks with my evening meal, i would go and ask for what we wanted to be told we will bring it over only to find they didn't and most nights i had nearly finished my food before i had got a drink (in the main buffet resaurant), there was birds flying round while you were eating and none of the staff seemed all that bothered, but saying thati never saw anyone getting s*** on from above lol

Entertainment........the pool singer on an evening was soooooo bad, i've heard better on kareoke but the shows in the ampitheatre at night were good and thought the Thomas Cook entertainment team were brilliant.

Even though i didn't have the "it was a fantastic place" attitude over it if i went back to sharm el sheikh i would stay there again as overall it was a nice place and i did enjoy it there"

• Travel date: Tue 28th of November 2006

Dream holiday

"This is one of the best hotel I have stayed in, only just found out about this website and needed to write a review as I would recommend anyone to stay here. Rooms were lovely and spacious clean, staff were very friendy and could not help you enough. As I went all inclusive I was abit worried about the food but I went for a week and wished I went for 2. There are number of restraunts you can book in but no pay on the site also the main restraunt which is a buffet had lots to offer every night. I would really really recommend this hotel I would consider having my honey moon there."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of October 2006

Great hotel, Be careful of tourist traps

"I recently took a trip with my wife and Friend to Egypt from Ukraine and wanted to post what you should expect and what you should avoid.

We used the travel company Turtess [--] though a local travel agent. The hotel we stayed at was Sunrise Island View Suites (ex Maxim Plaza) (Egypt-Sharm El Sheikh) This hotel rates itself as a 5 star. I would give it 3+ stars. Definitely not a 5 star in by western standards

We booked a flight from Zaporozhe Ukraine for a 7 day trip. Our cost was $620 per person with a standard room, All foods and drinks included. (all exclusive option).

What we were expecting was a very nice hotel, great food and drinks plus a few trips to the local sites.

Here is what we got.

Our departure was at 4pm from a rarely used airport. I had to laugh at the security as you could either go though the building and passport control or just walking around the building to the plane. I'm sure they would had stopped me. But it kind of reminded me of our own homeland security.

Because of the late departure we didn't arrive until around 11pm at the hotel. The Turtess staff took care of us at the airport and was well organize getting us into our buses. At the airport you can buy a $15.00 visa to travel though Egypt. (note: Nobody every ask to see the visa once we got them including at the security check points). 1 day of our vacation gone just in the traveling.

The hotel is very nice and modern, nice pools and is located on the water edge. The basic rooms are nice but small. I would recommend upgrading to a junior suite. There is 4 pools so plenty of room to swim. Some of the negative aspects of the hotel.

1. No internet in the rooms except dial up.
2. Hotel deals in numbers so a little wear and tear; we had to get workers to repair a AC water leak, a broken security chain on the front door and a back door that wouldn't lock on our first night.
3. The mixed drinks and liquor is very cheap and almost not drinkable. Beer is ok.
4. The food is mass produced and it shows. The Russian and Ukrainians loved it. The western groups weren't too impress. For the amount of people eating it not too bad. It is cafeteria style eating. Plenty of selections.
5. Pool and beach closes at dusk. No night swimming, hotel entertainment is also lacking. Because this is a new area not much to see outside of the hotel either.

******* Sightseeing ***** **** Tourist traps ******

The locals are very nice and seem to be honorable expect for those who are involved in the tourist industry. I was surprise how openly they would scam the tourist. The good news is after reading this you will know how to avoid the scams.

A couple of notes:

1. The tourist stores set prices based on how much they can get from you. A saw a cup of tea go from $1 to $8. Avoid the stores that don't have locals using them or prices on items.
2. Negotiate on everything. Hotel services are just as crocked as the guys out side. Know the real prices before you stop.
3. Russian and Ukrainians are not good complainers and the local are aware of this. I saw more honest prices and services near the hotels that cater to the west.

We chose to trips on our vacation. The Super Motto trip to the desert and the Bus trip to Cairo to see the pyramids. I will go over in detail what happen.

Our first trip was the Super Motto. This is advertise as a 3pm to 8pm trip that includes ATV though the desert to the mountains. A camel ride in the mountain to end up at a local village for a sunset dinner with live entertainment and dinner ending with a night ride back on ATV's. Cost $45 per person.

Ok, that is what we bought here is what we got.

1. Arrive at hotel pickup point at 3pm. Driver arrive at 4:15 and we left at 4:30 in a old mini-van with broken AC. At 4:45 traveling 90mph we blow a back tire on the way to the ATV starting point. Walked a little and was pickup by a second Van. Arrive around 5:20 at the launching point for the trip. (sunset is at 5:30). Waiting for about 40 minutes until our group of about 30 was ready to go. Force to buy a $5.00 piece of cloth to cover our faces that isn't included in the price but require. We leave in a single slow moving line. Most of the ATV have broken head lights and Lana develops a flat. Max speed 5-10mpg and you must not leave the line. We travel about 1mile on a highway though what looks like a large parking lot full of trash. 30 minutes later we arrive at the frontier after fighting our way though traffic. So much for the desert ride. Another 15 minute trip to the village to pick up our camels. Plenty of trash and dead animals to see though the dust on the way.

Arrive at base camp. Not enough camels for everyone and it is now dark. My wife and friend go in group one a 15 minute night ride though the cliffs. I wait 10 minutes for my camel and they give me a 10 minute walk because it is now too dark to see anything. The group return and the local try to get everyone to buy $5 braces. We are now in the center of a area for eating. (no village and no lights). After walking though the dark we are seated in a nice area and told we can now get our food from a corner table. (looks like leftovers from the hotel). We sit down with our food and one cup of coke or tea each and the entertainment starts. For the next 30 minutes I get to watch a single men belly dance. (yea). Afterwards we load back up on our ATV and head back to thought the desert parking lot back to the starting point and offer to buy DVD for $35 or photo's for $8 each. I got mine for $2..

Advice. Just take a taxi and go to the village yourself and rent a camel during the daylight. You will see a lot more without the pollution and dust.

2. Our main trip was planed for Cairo to see the great pyramids. We paid $70 for a night bus trip to Cairo that including breakfast, lunch, 3 pyramids, sphinx, and visit to see how the natural perfumes and scrip's paper was made. Here is what we really got.

1. We departed at 1am on a nice modern bus for Cairo. Off to a good start.
2. Arrive for breakfast early in the morning at something that reminded me of summer camp eating area but a lot more dirty. Our breakfast consider of two piece of bread with cheese, fake juice and a apple. You could buy tea or coffee for $8 a cup or coke for $12 a can if you wanted too. Stop time 45 minutes.
3. Arrival at the pyramids for a 35 minute stop. Took a quick walk into the pyramid $20 and a brisk walk around. (note) their is a scam at the pyramids the locals will come up and offer you free gifts or hand you something. Another trick is they will put items into your bags. All while telling you they are free gifts. Once you accept the gift they will then tell you most people offer them a tip as a thank you and will ask for $10-$30 tip. They will also refuse to accept the gift back as it is consider a insult to return a gift. This might work on others but I had fun with it. Once I got my gifts I quickly said thank you and left. When they ask for their tip I ask them if they wanted their gift back. I got the spill about it would be a insult. Then I told them I couldn't insult them, yet I have no money with me on this trip and I left it with my wife. When I got back on the bus I had at least 3 of them sitting outside of the bus waiting for me to get money from my wife and come back out. The scammers got scammed.

4. Our next stop was the backside of the pyramids where the locals had setup tourist gifts to be sold. Our tour group seem to know everyone and recommend prices to pay. (a pattern was starting to show itself). Another 40 minutes stop.

5. We are off to see the sphinx next. So I though. The tour director now takes us into a perfume shop that is set like a dream from a sale person. Each group was given a 40 minute lector on perfumes followed by a sale pitch to buy them at 3-4 times the scam price outside of the shop. After everyone buys their hand made oils we finally head for the sphinx for a 30 minute stop.

6. Next stop is too see hand made jewelry and Script paper (pyrus) made. We enter one of the many pyrus stores in Egypt for a 10 minute demonstration on how it was made following by another 30 minute of sale pitches and shopping. 45 minutes

7. Next stop is too see Egyptian jewelry around the corning. Same jewelry and tourist items that you find anywhere else in Egypt but at 3-4 times the price. Another 30 minutes.

8. We finally get to the national museum for a 1.3hr stop. A great place to visit.

9. Dinner time so we head to a dinner boat that is docked on the river side. The food is better then the hotel. Cafeteria style. Note: Drinks are not included in the meal. Cook is $2.00 a can. I refused to pay for mine and got it free.

10. Time to start are way back. The bus provides us with 2 DVD movies to watch.

11 Two stops were made on the return both at special tourist locations and both for 45 minutes. Prices, Ice cream bar $6.00, chips $8.00, Hamburger $16.00. No prices on any items, a men next to the register will look at you and write down a figure for the cashier.

Conclusion: You must see the pyramids. I would request to be drop off at the pyramid and pick up after once the group is leaving the sphinx. Bring your own snacks and drinks. Don't buy anything on the road as you can buy it cheaper at the markets around the hotels. Total time spent sightseeing 3-4hrs. Shopping and tourist traps 5-6hrs

Here are some of the photos from our trip.

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of October 2006

Great self contained Hotel

"Booked this last minute with Thomas Cook for myself and my son and got an all inclusive bargain ! Watch out for incorrect reviews of this hotel as there are two sunrise hotels - the sister hotel is not as good quality. The Hotel itself is very clean, there are 24 hour guards and it is a secure complex for those who are worried about travelling to eygpt. Buy your bottled water from the shop opposite otherwise there is everything you could possibly need there although local spirits are not great beer is fine (G&T's best spirit - schweppes mixers used). The rooms have fridges with mini bar, there are superb pools and an amazing beach. There are several bars including a swim up one ! Staff are good take loads of 1 dollar bills and tip them, there is a noticable difference in service if you do ! The Thomas cook reps were amazing and the kids club rocks. The only problem with Eygpt as a whole is the airport the return leg is a nightmare and you cannot get anything when you have gone through passport control so beware."

• Travel date: Fri 29th of September 2006

Loved every minute - did not want to come home...

"My son and I had a fantastic time, we only stayed a week. We made the most of everything available. We went on as many trips as we could, seeing the Pyramids, riding a camel and finding nemo.

What a great time we had.

I would go back again.

Would recommend it to families and couples - so much to do.

The weather was really hot, but you learn to cope with it.

The food was average, my son was ok, chips and red sauce available.

The room we stayed in, was excellent.

The staff looked after you.

The reps - brilliant, looked after you at all times.

I want to go back now, this minute... going to start saving again."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of September 2006

Fantastic time at the Sunrise Island View

"Just returned from a fantastic holiday in the Sunrise island View in Sharks Bay, Sharm El Sheik, Egypt.
Firstly Sunrise chain has two hotels here, The Sunrise Island View and the Sunrise Gardens. The better of the two is the Sunrise Island View as it has more facilities + the added advantage of it's own beach.
I will break the review up in sections.
Getting there:-
We booked the holiday through Teletext holidays who in hindsight gave an honest description of this hotel. They also advised on transfer to hotel etc... We flew from Luton Airport with Thomsons, although the holiday was actually with Imperial Holidays.
When we arrived at Sharm Airport, we did not bother getting a Visa as we did not plan to travel outside Sinai. We went straight through. We were advised to book a taxi from within the airport. It cost us £10 to get to the hotel which is only about 10 minutes away. It was no hassle and we were in the hotel in no time.
The room:-
All rooms are two storey and very spacious. We had a twin bedroom. At first we felt a bit disappointed, but we soon realised where we were positioned in the hotel that it was an advantage as we were close to all main areas. We had an upper floor room, which meant climbing some steps every day to get to the room. No problem really!. The room had two single beds for my daughters and we were hoping for a double bed, but what you actually get is a sofa that turns into a double bed. We had a tv with plenty of channels (movie channel was very handy and had some decent films on while we were out). The minibar is free and you get inundated with water top ups daily. The balcony is a good size but we had a view of the gardens.
The bathroom was Ok, a little worn and there was always a nasty smell in there.
There were two air conditioned units in the room which were a godsend as it got very hot.
There is also a decent size free safe that you put your own code in.
Food:-
We found plenty to eat, although most people we know got ill one way or other. I don't think it would be fair to blame this all on food as there can be several reasons. We found it to be a good variety and we never went hungry. We went All Inclusive and there is more food and drink than you can eat. We especially liked the pasta station that cooked to order and made it nice and spicy, just the way we like it! Also the cakes and pastries are delicious! In the mornings you can have whatever type of egg you like. I felt the standard the hotel tries to maintain in the restaurants was very good. There are two other restaurants you can book as part of your AI package, they are The Oriental and Italian. Although it was different to do this, the food was not too different from the main restaurant and we actually preferred it more.
From 3pm to 5pm they also serve Nestle Ice creams. All drinks were decent drinks as well, i.e. soft drinks were Pepsi, 7UP or Tango. The beer was Egyptian Stella and not bad. You can also have a variety of alcoholic and non acholic cocktails, but be warned, they are very generous with the alcohol measures.
Entertainment:-
We were impressed with the entertainment. They have an Amphitheatre which put on a show each night at 10pm. Apart from the odd below average show, most of the shows were entertaining and enjoyable. The hotels Katanga animation team and Thomas Cook team were brilliant! They put in 100% and should be commended. There is also an Oriental show with a man that spins for ages. He was amazing!
During the day the Katanga team do pool aerobics, pool games and keep everyone entertained. If this isn't your thing, no problems. There are 4 pools that cater for all, so if you want piece and quiet , two pools have no music.
We stayed mostly by pool 2 as pool 1 was overun by some guests that did not consider others. Pool 1 and 2 both have two large slides which were excellent fun.
There is also a Hollywood cafe that shows latest DVD's on a big screen. We were disappointed as we arranged to see the latest Star Wars. When we finally got it playing (an hour after it was supposed to start), there were people just talking above the film, so you couldn't enjoy it in silence. After half hour, we gave up and so did many others. We complained to the management about this. There is also a handy table football in the cafe.
The Beach;-
Apart from having all the usual beach facilities, food drink etc... there are two plastic jettys that are not too long and very safe. As you walk along, the water is so clear that you can see all the fishes. Anyway when I jumped into the sea and looked down, my holiday was made. It was absolutely breathtaking. We saw so many fish it is unbelievable. We also saw a Moray eel hiding in the coral and a lion fish. I recommend this is something you must do. It pays for your holiday.
General:-
We made some great friends while we were out there but generally the Brits stick together as well as the other nationalities. The hotel caters for all nationalities and hats off to Mr Joe who speaks most of them and does most of the compering!
The hotel is rated 5 star. Probably not a 5 star but not far off. It is excellently run by decent hard working Egyptians. Nothing seemed to be a problem and going All inclusive is definately the way to go.
Went to Naama Bay one night using the hotel bus. Cost us £7. Bit of a waste of time as most things for sale were tacky and you get hassled a lot, although we did play along with them. If you want to buy souveniers, there are two supermarkets opposite the hotel that sell a lot of things. P.S. Invest in an underwater camera (about £7).
We had an excellent holiday however as we are adventurous would go elsewhere as the world is a big place. However we would go to a Sunrise hotel again."

• Travel date: Fri 1st of September 2006

it was OK

"arrived at the hotel and there was talk of stomach upsets the following day my husband came down with it the day after i came down with it we were both on antibiotics it turned out that most of the hotel had come down with it also. the service we received in the resteraunts and at the pool bar is not of a 5 star hotel but that of a 3 star the drinks were mostly served warm the only thing that was served cold was the beer. the food was the worst food ive had in a hotel but apart from all this the thomas cook kids club and all the hotel staff were great kids club was fantastic well my kids enjoyed it anyway the hotel its self was very clean the grounds are beautiful and the pools and slides are also great."

• Travel date: Fri 18th of August 2006

lovely hotel and layout but!

"have just come back from a 2 week stay at Sunrise Island View the larger of the two hotels and the one with the beach. The hotel layout is almost like a small village with blocks of rooms away from the main hotel which is lovely and much quieter than a room in a main hotel block. Everything is very clean and well maintained. the beach is a 5-10 minute slow walk from the main block but well worth it ! the snorkelling is fantastic and the water is really warm, there are loads of different species of fish to see, the only downside at the moment about the beach area is there is noisy building work being carried out 3 hotels away and the constant drilling from 7am to6pm drives you mad after a while 7 days a week!. Now down to the rest most of the staff are fine and really helpful but a few are not some are rude and even sarcastic. i went in a party of 8 people and we all felt this, drinks well that was an experience! they do not like you going up to the bar and taking your own drinks away they insist on bringing them to you, this is quite often done by the same barman that collects and washes the glasses serves behind the bar and takes drink orders to customers, they are running around like lunatics! this we felt was due to bad management they need more staff in the bars, many of them are stressed right out. quite often in the day especially the water from the coolers is warm ,my daughter found that the cooling switch was not on this is the case at most of the coolers ,ice - they look at you as though you are asking for gold if you ask for ice , they have it they just don't like giving you any! I told them more than once that in cold drinks the British like ice, and without it the drinks are tepid even pepsi yuk! the food was fine a large choice ,something to please everyone we thought, but there are some people you just can't please aren't there, our only comment about the food was it could have been hotter sometimes, they don;t always keep the burners lit on the serving containers and out of 8 of us 6 had quite bad tums! exhausting our entire stock of imodium, resulting a trip to the pharmacy a few minutes walk from the front of the hotel. Don't take travellers cheques unless you plan to keep going into naama bay to change them 20 mins away as the hotel has no money changing facilities, there is a bank up the road but they won't change travellers cheques!! but thats another story you have to go to the hotel next door during certain times to change currency if they will let you in, my advice take a small amount of egyptian currency and the rest in english 5 and 10 pound notes are handy as they take english money everywhere but will probably give you change in egyptian. Cairo is 6and a half hours by coach but well worth it for the pyramids. my overall summary
hotel overall very good but staff could do with some training on customer liason ,
ameneties very good selection 4 pools slides etc
entertainment terrible one guitarist singing the same ten songs every night! he's lucky he's still alive!! daytime ok the normal things pool games etc etc
drinks need ice local spirits ok but not great if they run out of something they just supplement it with something else but they don't tell you!! Overall ok but we won't be going back"

• Travel date: Sun 30th of July 2006

sunrise by name sunrise by nature

"i have never seen this site before and have only used trip adviser but after reading the top reveiw i just had to have my say

i stayed at the island veiw after a free upgrade due to lack of tourists going to egypt mainly due to the unrest in the capital ( hundreds of miles away) on arrival was greeted by the Concierge who collected our bags to take to our rooms while we checked in

we was walked around the complex and shown to our rooms 1 by 1 (set off all in a group) we booked a double room in the gardens but was given a suit at the view may i just say that most of the eastern Europeans that had uprades from the gardens were given a standard room so brits are well looked after yes there was some loud rude europeans there but if im honest no worse that alot of drunken brits in spain greece turky etc

the staff are outstanding and rooms cleaned daily (if you dont tip daily you dont get towel animals on the bed) i liked it that much i am paying to go back this october and hopefully my stay will be better than last time (nothing what so ever to do with the hotel or staff) the 2 english ladys in customer relations were amazing sadly 1 has left (shellie) but looking forward to seeing tracey again and giving some greif to the new 1 that comments on these (rachel) sorry if i spelt it wrong

please if you read this and wonder if you should book or not trust me i never read these untill after i book and i read some bad reveiws and thought what have i done it is a fantastic place to visit and hope this major refit they are having is going to make it better than ever go with an open mind but please remember that there will always be people from other countries and some are rude just like drunken brits in europe

see you soon
rich xxx "

• Travel date: Tue 14th of August 2012

Excellent Value for Money

"After having a 3 hour delay at Gatwick we were more than ready to get to our rooms. Check-in at the hotel was really quick and within 10 mins of arrival we were in.
Staff were really friendly and rooms and pool areas really clean. There were 4 swimming pools, no 1 with a swim up bar, no 2 "the active pool", no 3 "adults only" no 4 "the beach pool". All 4 pools had a LIFEGUARD on duty all day every day. The food was excellent and we never ate out at all. They had themed nights I.E. seafood, Egyptian...There was also a healthy option section, a plain food section & childrens section.There are 2 others resturants, one by the beach and an Italian upstairs in the main building which you have to book but can use as many times as you like on your All-inclusive. All rooms have mini bars which they give 4 cans of fizzy drink a week and 2 bottles of water a day. Bars are open from 10am til 1.30 am, the disco opens at 11pm (this is in the main building so no noise can be heard.) and closes at 4am. The Victoria bar in the main building is open 24 hours and you are All-inclusive the whole time.
Outside the hotel is Soho Square where there is a seletion of (NO HASSLE) shops, bars, resturants & nightclubs. Entertainment is on every night Free of charge with musical fountains,singers and shows for all the family.It is on here you will find the Ice Bar at 5 degrees and everything made of ICE!!! ( They give you a fur coat to wear!!). Well worth the money."

• Travel date: Sat 28th of May 2011

Hotels near Island View Resort

Stayed at Island View Resort? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Island View Resort

• Rich J by Rich J

"explore the outside just relax and enjoy "

Island View Resort is also called