Island Garden Resort

Sharks Bay, Sharm El Sheikh Egypt

Fantastic

"I stayed at this hotel with my husband an d my parents in september 2005. We hd'nt been to egypt before so we were quite wary although excited about going. We werent sure what to expect. But all our worries disappeared once we reached the sunrise garden island hotel. From the moment we walked into the hotel, the staff couldnt do enough for us. We arrived well after the restuarant had closed due to our flight being delayed, yet they opened it especially for the latecomers, which put my mind at rest as i am diabetic and worried about my insulin.

The staff were happy and very helpful, and the waiters were very funny. Cleaners were fantastic too, towards the end of our stay we celebrated our wedding anniversary and my parents had told the cleaner, Fathi i think his name was. That day he cleaned our room and he had made hearts out of the bath towels and he had laid petals all over the bed.It was lovely.

We couldnt fault the hotel at all, and we would definately book to go there again. We had friends staying in the sister hotel by the beach, and they preferred our hotel over theirs.

We enjoyed a couple of the boat trips while we were there. My mum and me are non swimmers so we were a bit on the nervous side. But at the end of it all we were jumping off the boats and snorkelling.

Overall the holiday, hotel, people, trips were FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!

I highly reccommend this hotel ;-)"

• Travel date: Sat 4th of March 2006

Fantastic!

"Just got back from a two week stay at this hotel. Got a fantastic last minute deal for two weeks all inc. The staff are lovely - very friendly and caring. The food was very varied and very good. Hotel clean. Will definitely return. Prob 70% guests russian, 20% german, 10% english - everyone given a warm welcome. Temp ranged from 20-28 degrees c. chilly at night though so take a cardi!

Went with Thomas Cook - did the Finding Nemo snorkelling boat trip - perfect for beginners - excellent care and tuition with fantastic lunch provided - so good we did it twice - excellent value for money.

Did the coach trip to Cairo - 7 hours coach journey leaving at 1am and returning midnight following day but well worth it. Could have flown for same price through local excursion company in Naama Bay but as we were two women on our own decided to stay with the Thomas Cook crowd. The Egyptologist who was our guide for the day was brilliant - Cairo is an amazing city!

Only one recommendation for hotel and that is take a travel kettle as there were no facilities in room. Apart from that everything was spot on. Very efficiently run and the staff could not be more helpful.

Very close to airport so you do hear the planes in and out but it didn't bother us in the slightest.

There is very little outside hotel and it costs around a tenner for taxi there and back to Naama Bay. If you want nightlife and shopping then best to stay in Naama Bay but if it is peace and quiet with minimum hassle then this hotel is for you.

We ventured into Naama Bay for a day but got a lot of hassle from shopworkers - apparently they are on commission and are therefore desperate to get you into their shops. We found everyone friendly but very persuasive! As we were two women travelling alone we didn't go back again as we couldn't be doing with the hassle but it would have been nice to have been able to have browsed with no pressure and we would have spent more if we had been able to do this! However there are certainly no bargains to be found here - much cheaper at Cairo markets but you need to haggle hard.

The excursions were extremely good value for money - all can be done cheaper locally but we thought it was worth the extra to go with an english group from our hotel via Thomas Cook.

Did the submarine excursion which was booked direct from the hotel reception but thought this was very expensive working out at £50 for two adults - only a fiver each more for the all day boat snorkelling trip with lunch and drinks provided. Only worth doing if you are not going to snorkel or dive."

• Travel date: Tue 14th of February 2006

best yet

"sharm el shiekh sunrise island garden

stayed here for 2 weeks sept /oct 2005,this was the best holiday that we have had in years.

the hotel was ideal the staff very helpfull and courteous ,have already started to look into going back this year.plenty to do great trips or chillout."

• Travel date: Wed 18th of January 2006

No regrets, go for it

Good

"As there has been previous confusion over which hotel this actually is, this review relates to the SUNRISE ISLAND GARDEN, which is the one away from the beach).

Following previous (confusing) reviews I was very relieved to find that either standards have VASTLY improved or there was just so much confusion over which hotel this is. I recall reading that the ownership of this hotel recently changed.

Impressions were very good from start to finish:

Check-in process painless, good explanations and responses from desk staff.

Rooms comfortable, which is all you need on a holiday like this. Reports of the aircraft noise seem exaggerated, after the first night you just don't notice.

Buffet restaurant bright/cheerful, food of good/high quality (and plenty of it cam e back 4 pound heavier), staff very friendly AND helpful. Local beer included in the All-Inclusive package, tasted fine. Yes it does come in small glasses but refills are unlimited.
(I didn't try the Italian restaurant though as I never made a reservation, the pool BBQ also requires a reservation but smelled delicious when walking past later).

Bars open 10am 'til midnight, again unlimited (local) beer, spirits (try the cocktails!) and soft drinks.

Had a couple of trips out (St Catherines (full day, early start) and the Aquascope submarine (this one is cheaper if booked via the Aquascope staff in the hotel than through your agents rep)).

There was some evening entertainment on site (think enthusiastic/good amateur rather than poor professional). On other evenings these events were held down at the Sunrise Island View (only one occasion was an evening shuttle available otherwise it was a safe 15 minute walk). I heard mention of a bus laid on to a disco in Nama Bay one night, but didn't take advantage of this.

Pool and poolside was always clean. You would always see the staff performing cleaning duties during the evening after the pool had closed.

So overall I have given this an 'above average' rating to reflect my experience.
The best thing I can say is that if asked "would you go again?" it would be an unequivocal "Yes, no hesitation""

• Travel date: Mon 19th of December 2005

Great Hotel you wont be disappointed

"After reading some of the reviews we had reservations, but without cause. It is a great hotel. Best staff ever,cant do enough for you. That goes for all of them from cleaners to management. Everything you need, water and soft drinks in fridge in room. Water everywhere that you help yourself to. Pool and beach towels supplied on card system. Food was excellent, I admit it is a bit of a canteen atmosphere but every AI I have been to has been on that level. But the choice is enormous, most days there was a choice of about 24 sweets. Drinks served with lunch and dinner by smiling waiters. Just go there and enjoy and I know you will."

• Travel date: Sun 4th of December 2005

Perfect holiday!!!

Good

"My boyfriend and I booked this holiday last minute and it was only after we had booked to go to this Hotel that I got on Trip Advisor to find out what I could about it. To be honest once I had read the reviews I wasn't particuarly looking forward to going but when we got there I was amazed. The hotel was stunning!! The rooms were clean, big and comfortable the pool area was massive so if you really wanted you could be almost on your own. And the staff were so friendly and helpful I really started to wonder whether or not I had read reviews about the same hotel? When we got there a bell boy took us and our bags to the room where we tipped him but he didn't wait to be tipped or even seem to be expecting to get one. All of the bad things I was expecting about going to Egypt especially since i'm a very fair blonde just didn't happen. Yes I will admit that some of the waiters in the Hotel had a bit of a leer at you but no worse than any other forign country i've been too. The bar staff at this hotel are very friendly as well theie English isn't very good and they can sometimes be hard to understand but they really do try. I really failed to find fault with htis Hotel in any way and we had no problems with staff waiting for tips and making us feel uncomfortable. Naama Bay wasn't for us the traders there are very forceful which I don't like and some of them I found too touchy feely with me but it was worth the experience. Our Sister Hotel Sunrise Island View has the beach which is a 15 min walk or there is a shuttle bus every 15 mins from the front door. The Private beach also has a Private Scuba Diving Club called MAxi Diving here for the first time and absolutely adored it and can't recommend it highly enough Tony and Gerry who persauded us to try it n the first place. Tony works for the Diving Compnay situated on the Beach and comes round the pool to give you a free trial of using the breathing appartus before you fork out a fortune to find out you don't like it.

All in all we couldn't find fault with this hotel or Resort. The weather was wonderful the people friendly and the diving wonderful!!! If your going to this hotel and are worried after reading some of these reviews don't be this was our best holiay ever!!"

• Travel date: Thu 17th of November 2005

Dont believe any of the bad reports

"What a great hotel this is - so please ignore all those bad reports because we failed to find anything wronge and we were looking for it after reading some of the reports.
The rooms were great kept nice and clean with towels and sheets changed everyday. Safety deposit box in your room that was free and you could use as soon as you there.
The pools and gardens were amazing with such a large choice of places to sunbath there was a pool for everyone depending if you liked a some activity or just peace and quiet. The facitlities down on the beach were good with nice clean toilets with staff there all day keeping them clean. Although they dont serve alchole on the beach its not far to go to the nearest pool bar and bring back down the beach - the staff dont mind they are very easy going.
We found the staff just amazing so friendly and helpful even when being rude to by the Russians. I found this the worst part of the holiday hearing how the Russians spoke to the staff and the staff having to put up with it. Me nor my husband had any problems being served and drinks were good and staff more than happy to fill bottles up with water,
The food was good with a good choice for everyone.
We thought that it was definatly worth it 5 star rating and will be going back there next year."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of November 2005

dont go there

"dont go there, it was the worst hotel ive ever stayed in. no food. one bar at night (if you could get to it for all the fighting)..staff very rude. out of all the 6 british we meet there (out of 1000 people) none had ate for the week. lucky for us we got moved after 3 days. this hotel is like a nightmare from hell ......"

• Travel date: Thu 27th of October 2005

Take No Notice Of The Bad Reviews

Good

"When I booked this hotel back in April and then looked at the reviews I thought oh my god, where am I going, I even tried to change it.

What I was worried about I really don't know. The hotel was great, had a really nice relaxing time.

Ok, I would not say it was a 5* but a 4*.

When we arrived we had a problem a problem with the room (nothing to do with the hotel) and the receptionist sorted it out straight away, did not even send us to the room.

The food was fine, they changed the theme each night. They had the amazing arrangement of breads and cakes every day.

The rooms, gardens, pool area were kept clean and tidy, there was not a plant out of place at all.

And then last but not least the staff, you could not want to meet a nicer group of people, they would do anything for you, and if you don't want to tip them then don't, they don't stand there waiting for with their hands open. I did tip, but not everytime or even every day, they want to help you have a nice time while you are in their country."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of October 2005

Nice Hotel Def 4*

Good

"I was really worried about this hotel after reading the reviews prior to going, but against all expectations we had a really nice time so I want to put some positive comments on this site.

HOTEL ITSELF.
The rooms / reception / dining and pool areas were definately comparable with other 4* hotels I have stayed in and everywhere was kept really clean. The house keeping staff were great constantly cleaning ashtrays, tables and floors.

FOOD & DRINKS
The food was quite varied and there was always something you could find to eat and enjoy. The buffet always consisted of two roast meats and a variety of pasta's, stews, salads, egyptian dishes, other meat and fish dishes (eg KFC style chicken).

While not laid out in the traditional sense of large salvers, the buffet dishes were smaller but replenished regularly. There has obviously been some work since earlier in the year at improving standards. Only had one instance to complain about the food where the chicken was not cooked. The head waiter went mad at the kitchen staff and made a point of returning to us at the end of the meal still appologising.

Italian and Lebonese restaurants (part of the all inc. deal) definately worth a visit. Food was nice and made a change to go and be waited on.

Generally the bar staff were great especially Sherif in the Lobby. Drinks were plentiful but some spirits were a little harsh (but thats the same in any all inc. hotel).

OVERALL ATMOSPHERE & ENJOYMENT.
The resort is predominantly Russian, but dont let that put you off. There are also many Brits there but we just seem to be less brash and in your face. Yes we did encounter a few rude russians but on the whole the majority were friendly with many keen to learn english and talk to new faces.

Diving / Snorkling is a must here, just off of the "beach" there is a massive array of colours with hundreds of fish and coral species.

Nights at the hotel are quite quiet and designed more for couples. The entertainments team try their best with limited resourses but for singles a trip to Naama Bay after 23:30 offered a more interesting night life.

WARNINGS.
Booked 2 rooms and on arrival the hotel claimed to have no record of this despite both sets of paperwork clearly showing 2 rooms. Took 1/2 an hour to sort the problem out. Then at the end of the week the manager claimed the single occupant room had furiture damage to try for some extra money. Only withdrew the claim after some argueing. Seemed the single person had been targeted. Very poor behaviour from the management which tarnished our overall view.

Taxi's from Naama Bay always tried to make out they thought you meant another hotel and in turn tried to put the prices up. Many arguements with these as they try to con you in to paying more. They know exactly what they are doing as it happened to us 3 times."

• Travel date: Sun 23rd of October 2005

the hoilday from hell

"we stayed here in march2012 this was are second time here and what a shock we had the food was so bad that we hat to eat out the rooms smellt of pee shower roof missing bear wires showing in showers we hat to change hotel as it was bad this is not a family place i wood recormend to any one how is gowing there not to there was 7 of ous age range from 5 to55 the only good thing that came from this hoilday is that we got another 4 stare hoiltel and you coude see the diffrents in standers

• Travel date: Sat 26th of January 2013

2011

"HI my Name is Liam Mckeown i stayed at this hotel for two weeks in September, where the whether is 40 degrese. The hotel at sherm el sheikh IS Very good because of the food
, the food was brilliant. And the Animation team was so good worth every Watching theres Shadow and Alex And Charlie thats why I think it is worth every penny and the hotel is close to soho square i recomend anyone going to this hotel."

• Travel date: Sat 29th of October 2011

Hotels near Island Garden Resort

Stayed at Island Garden Resort? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Island Garden Resort

• michelle & andy by michelle & andy

"All the restaurants, at the hotel, snorkelling at the beach "

• BinBon by BinBon

"Naama Bay fantastic for a night out "

• BinBon by BinBon

"Quad biking into Echo Valley! "

• sandranilsson@hotmail.co.uk by sandranils[email protected]

"great for winter sun good snorkling "

• sandybanks by sandybanks

"cairo, and st catherines "

• davidc4567 by davidc4567

"The new Riviera.Less bites and insect problems than most resorts. "

• davidc4567 by davidc4567

"Hard Rock Cafe was a must - not especially good value, but high on the list of must do's. "

• mrs lesley harris by mrs lesley harris

"nama bay was good shopping and fathys in sunrise is bees knees "

• yellow liz by yellow liz

"Fatimas Restaurant, Glass bottom boat "

• jaynmich by jaynmich

"ideal for couples, adults, not families, no entertainment "

• barbican19 by barbican19

"DONT EXPECT ANYTHING TO DO AFTER TEN "

• charlie123 by charlie123

"good do not give anbody tips apart from the waiters "

• jetsetter by jetsetter

"very clean and every member of staff were very helpfull "

• R&B by R&B

"hotel great staff moody! "

• V Elliott by V Elliott

"Pyramids trip to 3 destinations either diving or snorkelling :) "

• Liam Mckeown by Liam Mckeown

"watch there Animation team "

Island Garden Resort is also called