Grand Rotana Resort & Spa

Sharks Bay P.O.Box:296, Sharm El Sheikh Egypt

2052

Great Experience

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"I recently spent 7 nights at the Grand Rotana Hotel in Sharm El Sheikh. When we arrived the staff were curteous and the check-in was efficient. Welcome drinks were offered within 3 minutes of our arrival. My room was of a very high standard and had a contemporary decor and balcony. Every room in the hotel overlooks the breath taking pool and the sea.

Every week the hotel organise a drinks evening where all alcohol (including wine) are served free of charge along with canapes, to capture guest views.

We had a wonderful time on the resort, the only disappointment was that the spa was not yet open."

• Travel date: Thu 6th of April 2006

Fabulous Hotel!

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"One of my lasting memories of this hotel was arriving late at night and driving through the forest of palm trees that were lit up to reach reception, it looked truly magical. If you arrive during the day be sure to go up there at night to see it for yourselves.

Our room was in block 4 quite a walk from the main areas of the hotel but the staff had 'golf buggies' on standby if you needed a lift! The room itself was spotlessly clean and the furnishings were nice, the bathroom was all marble with a part frosted window around the bath/shower allowing in natural light.

We had food from all the restaurants at the resort and found it to be of very good quality. Our favourite was Silk Road serving authentic Asian cuisine in a great atmosphere. There was an open kitchen enabling the diners to view the chefs preparing and cooking the food which proved to be quite a spectacular show when the wok was involved!
Mezzaluna, the Italian restaurant overlooks the pool and is decorated in a modern style. The food and service here were excellent and very reasonably priced. My least favourite was the large buffet restaurant Ramses, not because of the staff or the food but purely and simply because it was a buffet (I'm not really into buffets), although the food was of very good quality and there certainly was an extensive choice. The beach barbecue and pool bar also served up some delicious lunches for us and kept up supplied with cold drinks throughout the day.

The hotel also has a free shuttle bus into Naama Bay several times during the day and evening, the last bus leaves Naama Bay at midnight. We used it a couple of times and found the system to be well organised. Be sure to book your seat with the concierge though as seats are limited.

Well what can I say about the pool area, it was huge, clean and plenty of sunbeds with a water slide thrown in! The beach area is terraced with plenty of sunbeds overlooking the reef and Tiran Island. There are two pontoons laid out over the reef from the beach to swim and dive off although you are not able to swim directly from the beach so for anyone who doesn't like being out of their depth this isn't the area for them to go swimming.

Overall, we had a very enjoyable holiday here made special by the helpful and friendly attitude of the staff, the quality of the food and of course the wonderful surroundings.

The only downside for us was only staying for one week and not two!"

• Travel date: Tue 4th of April 2006

great hotel with great views

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"just returned from a weeks holiday in this hotel. the hotel is very well decorated with lots of lovely colur schemes the pool is MASSIVE but a bit cold in march the beach area is stunning the view from the beach is wonderful. all the staff could not have been more helpful and all were very pleasent. the outside area of the hotel was lovely with loads of palm trees and very nice landscaping. the rooms are very well decorated with pastel colours ans the shower screen is half clear glass and you can see the sea whilst having a shower. the restuarants were all very good ate at mezzaluna an italian food excellent silk road which only opened on 1/4/06 ontal food again was excellent all in all this hotel was one of the best that we have stayed at and would definately return again very soon i hope."

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of April 2006

A lovely hotel with issues

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"We've just spent a week at the hotel and found it to be of a reasonable standard, it does have a few issues.

The look of the hotel is stunning; the escalators (4) take you from reception to the pool/accommodation area. The journey is reminiscent of the tombs at Luxor. Golf carts are available too.

The room was excellent and overlooked the sea, the room was the larger club room, and unfortunately reception didn't tell us about the club reception area we could have used. The room was clean and spacious with a seating area; a large balcony had 2 chairs and a table. The toiletries in the room were not replaced daily and we even had to call and ask for soap and toilet paper.

The pool area was again clean and well maintained, the gardens are very colourful. The beach is manmade from very small pebbles, a bit uncomfortable at first. There are two pontoons where you can walk out and look at the coral reefs.

The restaurants are a mixed bag, the breakfast buffet was uninteresting and typical of a 3* hotel. The buffet dinner was also served here, thankfully we were B&B so could eat anywhere. We tried it 2 nights, finding out on the second night that the flat rate was £15 each (324 Egyptian Pounds with no wine), not worth it, a poor choice of basic food.
The Silk Road is a star. A mixture of Indian, Chinese and Thai foods set in a beautiful setting where you can see the food being cooked. We visited 3 times; the tomato Sorba consommé is brilliant! A starter, Nan bread, 2 main courses, 2 glasses of wine, one beer and coffee came to 324 Egyptian, the same as the buffet restaurant. No doubt the prices will be upped in time for our next visit.
The Italian restaurant offered reasonable food at a good price, the menu is a bit restrictive though.
Snacks are also available in the bars. A visit to the Sky bar is a must, this overlooks the pool area. Here you can get an authentic Egyptian Shisha tobacco pipe.

The staff were friendly although you do get the odd one trying to be a smart arse “Can I have 2 beers please" and "Why?" comes the half joking reply. "Can I pay my bill please", "That'll be a million dollars". When I asked for tea and coffee to be replenished I thought the reply from the million dollar man was a joke however it turned out not to be, we only fill it up for your arrival, you have to pay after that. It was filled a number of times though not daily, a poor cutback from what's meant to be a 5* hotel.
The hotel has Wi-Fi, I asked for a card only to find out it was $40 (dollars!!), needless to say I didn't buy it, and sun lotion in the shop was £16 for an equivalent £4 brand here. A beer is £2.80, Gin and tonic £4, a burger and fries £4.50, Sharm is no longer a cheap holiday. Try Luxor at about 2/3rds of the prices.

Would I return, yes, the issues we had whilst not what you'd expect from a hotel proclaiming to be 5* didn't spoil the holiday. And I have to go back to the Silk Road for the Tandoori Prawns."

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of April 2006

Wonderful hotel and location

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"We have just returned after a week (16/3 - 23/3) at the Grand Rotana and it was fantastic. The hotel upgraded all guests to beach front apartments and the apartments themselves are stunning. The hotel was immaculate and very clean, the staff could not do enough to help and were exremely friendly. The swimming pool is huge and got warmer with every day. The food was excellent, there was so much choice for breakfast, cereals/fruit/cheeses/meats/cooked breakfasts everything you could want. We were only B&B but we ate in the Metzulana restuarant (Italian) most nights and the food was of a great standard and resonably priced (meal for two with wine about £30)

Will I go back, you bet.

The only downside were the jelly fish on the penultamate day, but I dare say the hotel will do their best to shoo them away!"

• Travel date: Fri 24th of March 2006

Excellent hotel

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"This is an excellent hotel. The whole experience is first class. Rooms are spacious and spotlessly clean, breakfasts second to none. The staff are all very helpful and friendly and a credit to the management.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who likes 5 star comfort and service.
A must is to snorkel from the hotels jetty..... tropical fish every colour imaginable.
We would not hesitate to return."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of March 2006

The best thing about this hotel is the view and the pool

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"Myself,my husband and my 21 year old daughter stayed at this hotel 13/02-20/02 in two rooms with adjoining doors. We choose this hotel after reading the reviews on this site and wished we had'nt. All I can say is the reviewer's have never stayed in a TRUE 4/5 star hotel, which is what most travel ops are advertising this as. Half of the facilities at the hotel are not open, the two restaurants that are operational are at best terrible, particularly the main one, it is dirty and the food quality and choice are poor, we ate in it once and never returned. The room cleanliness is poor and when we asked for our Tea/Coffe making facilities to be topped up were told you have to pay after the first day!! Even a Travelodge gives you that for nothing.The room floor manager kept knocking at my daughters door and asking to go in,this worried her and in the end my husband answered both doors all the time. The reception staff don't know what they are doing they tried to overcharge us and then closed our account even though we had not checked out.If you want to stay in a luxury hotel go to Beau Rivage in Mauritius, that is a luxury hotel, the Grand Rotana falls far short of luxury, I certainly would not return to this hotel.We visited the Hyatt and ate in one of it's restaurants, this was a far better hotel."

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of March 2006

Glorious Grand Rotana

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"We enjoyed a superb week of luxury last week 12-19th March 2006. The Rotana only fully available for travel agents as of this week will surely become one of the Best hotels in Sharm, already well established with a good rank here it will climb into the top 10 before long!
Courteous staff from arrival with personal greetings from the Desk Manager.
Rooms very well furnished AND comfy with most enjoying superb views of the beach and Tiran Island and/or the Pool complex which is superbly thought out with a water slide although a little cold this time of year a small heated pool is right next to the main pool. Animation team try hard to get you involved and arent to pushy if you reject. Food was wonderful the Mezzaluna restaurant being highly recommended. Jettys take you to the sea from the small cliff The diving club opens next month and a 500m private beach already open which will become a huge attraction, waiter service available. The Sky Lounge is very tranquil with live music most nights and a pleasant staff team throughout."

• Travel date: Mon 20th of March 2006

mind blowing grand rotana !!!

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"we have just returned last night from spending the last 2 weeks at this amazing hotel , we feel we have to tell you about this diamond in sharm el sheikh. the staff are the most friendliest people we have ever met and we have stayed all over the world i 5 star hotels! the hotel and the bedrooms are have soft pastel colours through out and the pool and surrounding areas are massive! it also has a pontoon in the sea for easy accsess to swim & snorkel.from the staff to the hotel cleaners they wish you a nice or great day every time you meet them ! as the official opening of this brilliant hotel is in early spring when all the spa & gym areas will be complete we will be returning next year to enjoy it once again! :just on a footnote we have just received a e-mail from tamer in reception hoping we had a peaceful flight home!! that sums the people up!!"

• Travel date: Tue 7th of March 2006

beautiful but a problem

Reviewed Fri 19th of October 2012

"Try a different resort to avoid difficulties.
The views were nice but the service was terrible. Some of the staff was rude and unkind to guests. They made me quite angry when at leaving they attempted to charge me for charges that were not ours. They could not find my signature, After shouting exchange, they took the charges off but it showed me that they are CHEATS! BOGUS CHARGES! I believe the charges were completly invented.
There was red lipcolor and bitemark on the bread they brought to our table! They reuse food?!
Failed to properly clean our room. I saw a poor Man trip and fall over a step in the walkway, odd place for a step. See photo! He was unable to walk and was bleeding. Never saw him after to ask him how he was getting on.
I would never go back to the Grand Rotana!"

• Travel date: Sun 26th of February 2006

Great Holiday

Reviewed Mon 20th of April 2015

"We have just returned as a family of five from the Grand Rotana. It was a wonderful stay. The staff were so friendly and helpful. We were immediately upgraded to a sea view next to the facilities and with access to all the extra restaurants. Two of us experienced diving and they were so helpful - especially to my husband who had an allergic reaction when he dived in Mauritius. They even helped my 9 year old snorkel free of charge -getting in the sea with her. Ahmad reserved us 5 sun beds next to the sea for us and cleaned up my son's foot when he cut it on some corals. He was so helpful. Everything was included in the All Inclusive and my children had endless drinks. A truly, relaxing holiday and I thoroughly recommend The Grand Rotana."

• Travel date: Mon 20th of April 2015

a quiet, clean friendly resort

Reviewed Wed 8th of August 2012

"i have returned from Grand Rotana after spending two weeks with my 15 year old daughter.
On arrival, we were upgraded as they said it was our first visit here....we were given a sea view double room....plenty of room, lovely view and it was cleaned daily with fresh towels and linen.

We were ultra all inclusive (which makes a difference to just inclusive)...there were 4 palces to eat.. a buffet, a pizza/pasta resturant, Silk Road...this serves chinese, indian and thai, and a grill bar which served fresh fish, chicken, lamb etc.Each day we had a different meal, many to order as we are quite fussy!! Every meal was lovely. Drinks all day including bottled water and canned coke and fanta as well as the alcoholic usuals.

Each morning i was by the pool by 7.30 am..noone else came till around 10 am...even throughout the day there was a choice of sun loungers around the pool and by the beach.

Staff are very freindly, no hassle from the excursion staff, knowledgable pharamist, who we saw a few times and treated us immediatly(heat rash and blisters on lips, from the sun!!)...limited entertainment at night....bellydancers, saxophonist and guitarist.

if you like a peaceful break which is not full of people then this is a MUST.

Im hoping to go back at christmas with my husband and both children."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of August 2012

Hotels near Grand Rotana Resort & Spa

Stayed at Grand Rotana Resort & Spa? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Grand Rotana Resort & Spa

• lhynes by lhynes

"change your money ther, much better rate "

Grand Rotana Resort & Spa is also called