Four Seasons Resort Sharm El Sheikh

1 Four Seasons Boulevard Sinai Peninsula, Sharm El Sheikh Egypt

Good

Refined luxury with room for the kids

"My family and I have just returned from 2 weeks at the Four Seasons in Sharm (our first trip to Egypt and the Red Sea), and we'd go back there tomorrow given the opportunity.

We made a last minute (2 weeks prior) decision to visit Sharm and relied upon the reviews here in deciding whether the package American Express justified the almost 100% price difference over another package at the nearby Hyatt Regency....I believe the holiday was well worth it!

From first impressions to last impressions, the Four Seasons shouts Service with a capital S. Checking-in in the early hours of a Monday morning, we were presented with a chilled towel and chilled fruit juice before being driven to the entrance to our Family Suite.

We were instantly impressed with the quality of the accomodation - a combined kitchen/dining/lounge area linked via a small hallway to the two bedrooms. The master bedroom ensuite having a shower and bath, whereas the 'kids room', with two double beds, had an ensuite with a shower. My wife was dancing with joy at this point, the kids bouncing on the beds and I was recording the moment for posterity on my video camera :-) We instantly realised we'd made the right decision.

Our suite was just along from reception, at the 'top' of the resort, with a view across lawns to the sea. It's worth noting at this point that a small army of gardeners maintains the resort daily, and manage to do so without being obtrusive. Just along from the suite was the Gezerah pool, which features a small restaurant, a poolside bar and a kids area. There is also a hotel suite reserved for their Kids for all seasons club, which is designed to keep children from toddlers to 11/12 occupied while their parents relax.

My 7 and 8 year old daughters (shy and quiet) both found plenty to keep them occupied at the club, from arts and crafts to swimming in the pool (well supervised). My wife and I felt completely at our ease with the care and attention given to children in the resort - leaving them supervised by the staff at the pool, or having them take short walks across the resort unescorted. We would not have felt as comfortable even in our own street at home.

Elsewhere in the resort, we were treated to exceptional service at the Sinai Blues dive centre, where again children were looked after with guided snorkelling trips from the boat while we dove in the Ras Mohammed national park. Sinai Blues is apparently the only dive centre with its own boats onsite - meaning you can stroll down after a leisurely breakfast and be at the dive site after a short 15min trip. The staff at the centre are highly professional, with local staff providing assistance to assemble and load all your dive gear, making it a very relaxing experience. As a PADI dive instructor myself, I can honestly say that I've never dived with a more enthusiastic and professional bunch.

Staff throughout the resort greet you with a polite hello at all times while taking the time to use your name where possible and to take a real interest in your familys' enjoyment of the holiday. We were all a little bit sad to be saying goodbye at the end of our two weeks.

If I had to fault the Four Seasons on anything, it would be the prices of food and drink on the premises. These are inflated by local duty (on imported alcohol at least) as well as via sales tax and an obligatory service charge of 12.5%. This results in a can of coke by the poolside costing nearly 25 EGP (I guess around £2.50 or $1.75). The hotel can do nothing about the government imposed charges on wine (fancy a bottle of Dom Perignon '99 - try around 5,500 EGP per bottle), but I was a little put off by the visible service charges on everything, especially as there was still a Gratuity space staring blankly at you from every receipt.

For a family of four, we spent an average of 1,000 - 1,300 EGP on an evening meal at the hotel, including a bottle of local Egyptian wine. This compares with a maximum of 650 EGP spent at an external restaurant (Little Buddah, a sushi restaurant in Naama Bay)...with the same bottle of Chateau du Reve. There is a good variety of food styles available in the hotel, with children again well catered for, and the food is of a good standard - not necessarily Michelin star territory, but good enough to keep us happy.

In summary, you wont regret visiting this hotel - and many dignitaries and celebrities have apparently also visited in the 6 years it has been open. The defining factor is the impeccable service and attention to the comfort of their guests."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of June 2005

Beautiful resort, great for kids

Good

"We just returned from our week at the Four Seasons. It was absolutely lovely. We travelled with our 5 year old daughter, and the facilities for children were wonderful. The staff really seem to adore kids and she had a great time.
I thought the hotel was elegant in a very practical way. It isn't as ultra-posh as some of the Four Seasons I've visited, but we were in no way disappointed.
The food was delicious, and I thought quite varied. There are a number of restaurants featuring different cuisines--Middle Eastern, Italian, Thai and basic "food-food"--grilled fish, chicken, burgers, etc.
My ONLY complaint is that my husband and I came down with a nasty stomach bug. Yes, we ate salad and had ice in our drinks, which are very basic no-no's. I think we were lulled into a false since of security, since the hotel was so lovely. I've been told that a nasty stomach is the price of admission for a trip to Egypt, so I don't know...
We would definitely return."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of June 2005

Superb

Good

"We went to the Four Seasons for a week in May and was swept away in the fantastic service and hotel environment.

We booked our trip independantly so arranged for a hotel car to collect us with the meet and greet service- it took us around 10 minutes from landing to be out of the door and into the waiting car....Heaven!!

The pool area and service is fantastic as was the service at the Italian- i would advide that you book the latter though.

Rooms were weel furnished and the turn-down service always welcome after showering to go out of an evening.

We went to Egeypt for a week the previous year and visited Naama Bay area-it's not my idea of a holiday resort so we stayed in the luxury of the Four Seasons for the entire week this trip..

The hotel staff really seem to enjoy their work and it shows in their attentiveness and attitude.

Definately a hotel to visit and good value compared to other 5 star resorts that we have stayed at around the world."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of June 2005

Not to sure...............

"We have recently returned from the Four Seasons in Sharm El Sheikh, lovely resort......but really not to sure!!!

The resort in my opinion is by far the best in Sharm, luxurious, but not opulent. If comparing it to something like the Arabian Court in Dubai, there is no comparison.

The Four Seasons resort is massive and the individual "Deluxe" villas are scattered among the hillside, therefore only suitable for people that are willing to climb! Each villa has an outside chilling area, inside lounge, bedroom, dressing room and a very nice bathroom. They are very simply decorated, but nicely done.

Food...........this is what I believe let the resort down. To be honest, we did not have 1 meal that we liked, but of course this is down to personal taste. The food is highly priced and you have aprox 25% addeed onto the bill, this is for Service Charge and Sales Tax. So...watch out.

The pool was nice, but was temperature controlled and they could of done with turning it up as it was some days to cold to get in.

There is a beach, but the size of a postage stamp and you cannot go for a "paddle" as it is protected coral..........shame really as it is nice to break the sun bathing up with a walk.

All in all, if you go to Sharm then this is the hotel to stay in, by far the best and the most luxurious of all."

• Travel date: Tue 31st of May 2005

spoil yourself

Good

"I stayed here with a friend for 5 days at the end of a small tour of Egypt. We had been to Cairo for a few days and Luxor for 5 days. We arrived late at the four seasons exhausted from all the sites and were looking forward to a few days of relaxation. What a welcome. We were expecting a lovely hotel, but were not expecting the warmth of all of the staff, the beautiful surroundings, the spacious rooms and the service.We received on average house-keeping three or four times a day. The bed linen was changed daily including the duvet covers as were the bathrobes. We had our sunglasses cleaned whilst lying at the side of the pool and were offered strawberries, ice water spray and cold towels throughout the day. The train to get to the pool was verging on extravagent as were the golf trolleys to get to the front door for the less energetic. We found eating a late lunch at 6pm a better option than dinner. You need to book tables well in advance for dinner. On visiting the cocktail bar i said i had a notion for ice-cream and a minute later i was presented with a lemon sorbet with vodka. Thats my sort of hotel. They organised trips and many activities daily. I have read some reports that reviewers would not go back. i would go back tomorrow."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of May 2005

Great Hotel - Prices a bit of a tourist trap

"We spent 1 week at Sharm after 3 days in Cairo. The Four Seasons SSH hotel grounds, maintenance and rooms are great. The price quality for food/drinks take away from the overall experience. You get the feeling that the hotel is trying to generate as much revenue as possible, versus providing excellent hotel services. Charging for small items such as snorkling equipment is not expected at a hotel of this quality.

While in Cairo we stayed at the Four Seasons FR, which was great. We went to the best restaurants in Cairo and payed 1/2 the price of the restaurants at the Four Seasons SSH."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of May 2005

Great but...

"Everything you would expect from a Four Seasons Resort. We had a little trouble on arrival as the specified type of room was not allocated to us but after a little negotiation we were give a suite with the view we were expecting.
Like other reporters we found the prices for what you got to be high. We expected higher prices but felt that this hotels charges were just a little too over the top.
A very simple meal (one course each or often just a small stater portion) with a bottle of Egyptian wine worked out at between UK£50 to UK£70. This was almost double the prices of other hotels we stayed at in Egypt (including the Four Seasons in Cairo).
Charges for the hire of snorkel equipment were also high so take your own (or take the hotel car into "old" Sharm and buy the equipment at half the daily hotel hire rate. This also has the advantage that you can, if so inclined stock up on beer & wine from the liquer shop at a fraction of the cost charged by the hotel - UK£0.75 for a can of beer that was nearly UK£7.00 from the in room mini bar!).
Did we enjoy the hotel - yes. Would we go back - probably not."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of April 2005

Best Hotel in Sharm

"We stayed at the Four Seasons for a few days in March and could not have been happier. As a former Four Seasons employee, I thought I knew what to expect from a FS property, but the FS Sharm by far exceeded all my expectations (except for the food).

Upon arrival at 7am, which in and of itself was not a problem, we were upgraded to a one bedroom suite with a great view of the Red Sea and Tiran Island. Coffee and pastries were waiting for us when we got to the room. Huge bedroom and bathrooms. Loved having breakfast on our balcony.

The Dive Shop was great -- super friendly and accomodating. We also set up a jeep tour of Ras Mohammed which was excellent -- ask for Romeo.

The grounds are amazing -- flowers in bloom everywhere, impeccable lawns. The beach is a little on the small side, but there was plenty of room, and we never had any trouble getting a lounge chair.

All in all, we were sad to leave. And even sadder to be going to the Ritz for our last night. This is definitely the best resort in Sharm."

Not for beach lovers!!

"We stayed at the Four Seasons resort for five nights in April 2005. Overall, we have to rate this resort very highly - fabulous rooms with great beds and bed linen. Service and food are second to none. Our main disappointment was the beach. There is a very small, man-made beach and access to the sea is via one of the jetties! This area was very crowded, as was the area around the main pool - sun beds crammed in side by side. The other disappointment was the Spa. Whilst the therapists were good, the amenities were extremely disappointing compared to Spas at other top class hotels. We would only go back for a short break. One other comment, Sharm El Sheikh itself is very down market, Naama Bay only slightly better."

Royal treatment

Good

"It is hard to say enough good about this hotel. From the minute you arrive at the front door to the minute you go, they make you feel like royalty.

The facilities are wonderful, the rooms have everything you want and the main pool (there are three plus the beach area) is so large with so many sunbeds that it easily absorbs all the guests who are staying there.

However where they excel is in the service, particularly at the pool. They come around with complimentary chilled fruit drinks, slices of melon or strawberries, and cool towels every hour or so. Don't expect to have to move your sunbed to chase the sun (or shade) - as soon as they see you thinking about it, someone is there to do it for you.

Leave a book in your room and you will come back with a book marker placed on top of it for your use.

As some of the other reviewers have said, the only down side is some of the food (the Italian was over-priced for what it was, and the Arabesque was a bit disappointing) but I am sure it was much better than anywhere else in the area. Also again for the area, the prices of the extras seemed high - a small glass of Egyptian wine for £4.50. But not high if it were in Europe.

Most people seemed to overlook the Observatory restaurant/bar which serves fondues - that was very good. The Reef Restaurant by the sea was very pleasant.

If you go here, I don't think you will be disappointed."

• Travel date: Mon 25th of April 2005

One of the best hotels in the world

"This was the second time we stayed at this hotel, and have stayed at other top hotels in Sharm. Service was superb, right down to them sending a team of exterminators within minutes to sort out an ants nest. No problem with mosquitos at all unlike other hotels as daily, the gardens are treated. Pool area was perfect, rooms brilliant - but all at a price. The price was worth it."

• Travel date: Mon 4th of June 2012

This is a wonderful place. The staff can...

"This is a wonderful place. The staff cannot do enough to assist or please. The standards of cleanliness are second to none and the CD player in the bedroom was a very nice touch. Food a little predictable but nevertheless lots of choice. Italian Restaurant on site very romantic but food lacked imagination. I have 3 gripes: one is the music: its very repetitive, they need to extend their CD collection, after a week it begins to grate on the nerves.

Second, the price of good wine is totally outrageous. Seventy pounds for a bottle of Sancerre or Chablis. This really needs addressing! And thirdly, and this seems trite: the staff are just a little TOO attentive. I prefer to pour my drink as and when I want it, I do not like waiters doing this for me. Overall though a truly lovely, restful place.

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of November 2005

Hotels near Four Seasons Resort Sharm El Sheikh

Stayed at Four Seasons Resort Sharm El Sheikh? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Four Seasons Resort Sharm El Sheikh

• Fred from Tonbridge by Fred from Tonbridge

"Upgrade your room for a sea view "

Four Seasons Resort Sharm El Sheikh is also called