Falcon Naama Star

King Abdallah Street Naama Bay, Sharm El Sheikh Egypt

Good

Good hotel for the price location very good

"My husband and I have just returned from the Falcon Naama star hotel and found the hotel to be clean and in an excellent location for the centre of Naama bay, the price of this holiday was excellent. Having read most of the reviews before we went out, I must say we took these with a pinch of salt. Too many holiday makers make complaints without thinking through what they are complaining about. We had friends who were staying in hotel complexes much further away from the centre that did not have the ammenities that was offered at the Falcon Naama Star. The food on offer was typical of AI at this level, there was always something to choose that was suitable for eating, although by choice we ate out with friends in the centre of Naama bay for our evening meals. The main "sore point" of our holiday was having to listen to the British moaning holiday makers and their sunbed tricks of buying the pool boys to put their towels out at 5:30am and did not show up till 10am perhaps they should either stay at home or go to the costas. I will use this hotel again as the staff are friendly and will go that little bit extra to make your stay comfortable. Just be warned through if you want a sunbed you have to be down at the pool before 7:45am otherwise they are all taken. Maybe the management will consider purchasing more sunbeds as there is plenty of room around the pool to accommodate more sunbeds. The wind beach is lovely plenty of sunbeds here just obtain a ticket from reception and take your towel, theres a great little bar and the fish near the pier wow..... take a snorkle. If you are looking for a cheery bar in the evening try Brendas just outside the hotel to the left, drinks are cheaper than in the centre of Naama bay and Brenda and Mo are very welcoming (the foods not bad either) they have very large fans in the bar that are fantastic for cooling you down in August......."

• Travel date: Wed 19th of August 2009

Struggle to make a three star

"My husband, myself and our son of fourteen stayed at the Falcon Naama Star, Naama Bay from 24 July 2009 to 6 August 2009.

We booked through Travel Deals Direct and because of the credit crunch, decided to go careful on expenditure this year for our holiday. I thought I had booked a great deal as the hotel had been given a four star rating (admittedly of itself according to the Monster Travel website) but the photographs looked lovely.

The hotel was apparently only opened this year and I could not find a review on Trip Advisor, although other Falcon Hotels, which were part of the same group, in the Sharm El Sheikh area got great reviews.

When we arrived at the hotel at about 9.20pm, very tired, hungry and thirsty, the reception staff were not helpful and said that the restaurant closed promptly at 9.30 so we would have to get a move on if we wanted to eat. Apparently there are pool snacks served between 11pm adn midnight, but we were too tired to wait. There was no water offered and, as has been pointed out in various other reviews of hotels in Sharm, the bar was a joke. The bar, as it happened, was little more than a corner of the reception area where a few 330ml bottles of beer were being divided between two or three glasses. There were only small bottles of water available and after queuing for about ten minutes without even being looked at by the chap tending the 'bar' we gave up and went to the shop across the road, which charges a premium, the hotel guests being a somewhat captive audience!

Our son's room was quite some distance from ours despite the fact that we requested the rooms be close, but he said he would be OK. The balcony or terrace we had booked and which was clearly described on our booking voucher was non-existent and our view was that of a brick wall. We had twin beds although my husband and I had asked for a double, the small wardrobe in the room had a door hanging off, there was practically nowhere to hang any clothing and the large sheet of glass which was laying on top of the table with the TV on it, had broken right through. Oh and the plastic key card given to us was split almost all the way through, although when we tried to ask for one which was in one whole piece we were told that could not be done. None of these things were dealt with during our stay despite our mentioning them to the staff on reception.

On the upside, during our stay there the gentleman who cleaned our rooms was great and the beds were extremely comfortable.

The restaurant was adequate, albeit reminiscient of a school dining hall, and the food served was well cooked and had as much variety as you could expect a budget hotel which was catering for a wide range of cultural visitors to provide. There was occasionally difficulty finding a seat as the dining room was rather small, but the staff there were helpful and tried their best to accommodate us.

The pool was nice and was cleaned daily. There were not enough pool beds to go round, but the pool staff again did their best to ensure that everyone eventually got somewhere to sit. There were certain large family groups who routinely got up very early in the morning and hogged many of the prime spots, and I am ashamed to say they were British, but this is something we have come to expect!

The travel brochure said the hotel was a 'short stroll from the beach'. It was important to us that the beach was close because our primary reason for visiting the Red Sea area was for the snorkelling we could do there. Well, the beach was at least a mile away! In temperatures of 40 plus degrees, that felt like three miles, particularly as the walk back to the hotel was mostly uphill! However, the large and very nice towels at the hotel were given to us, not only for the pool, but also the beach, for which tickets were given to us from the hotel for sun beds, and for the various trips which we booked. That was a very nice touch. I have mentioned this beach in my review of Naama Bay if you wish to know more.

Finally, my husband got the dreaded 'holiday tummy' on our third day and my son and I followed a day later. My husband and I still have it!! We are awaiting the results of tests, but this was not a run of the mill holiday tummy upset! Still it has helped with the diet and I actually lost weight on this all inclusive holiday!! One point I would make is that when my husband could not even get out of bed one day, I saw our rep in the reception area and explained my husband's condition. He suggested I get a remedy called Antinel, which cost five Egyptian pounds. I went to the pharmacy directly next door to our hotel and asked for this medicine. The chap looking after the shop charged me fifty five Egyptian pounds. My rep went round to the shop with the security manager of the hotel when I told him this and got my money back for me, after a great deal of gesticulating and shouting. I then gave the security manager an Egyptian five pound note as requested and he very kindly went out , bought the medication and then delivered it to our room. A lovely man.

Remember that broken key I mentioned above, that broke when we were desperately trying to get into the room quickly to reach the bathroom. Luckily, my son had his key on him and I was able to make a dash for his bathroom. However, the hotel tried to charge us for another key. This was the last straw for my husband who was deeply unhappy about the whole thing and eventually managed to speak to the under manager of the hotel (the manager was away on holiday!!) After much argument, the under manager relented and said we would not have to pay for a replacement key which had been broken when it was given to us. Also, to make up for the troubles we had had, he allowed us to stay in our room on the day we left until our pick up at 5.15pm free of charge, which we thought was decent of him.

All in all, the Egyptian people are either really great or beyond awful! The hotel was basic (the under manager told my husband himself it was a budget hotel) and the description on the travel websites are completely misleading.

If you want a relaxing luxurious holiday, this is not the place for you."

• Travel date: Wed 19th of August 2009

relaxing

"my husband and i found this hotel to be ok for our needs a weeks holiday in the sun, nice pool, food ok ..we ate well, nice people would have liked a room with a balcony or terrace but we didnt get one if you think youve got a balcony or terrace recheck as there are only 30 rms with balconys and your tour operater is advertising wrongly not the hotel,we are thinking of taking some friends back there in oct. no where near as bad as other people are saying....your in egypt not the costas"

• Travel date: Sat 15th of August 2009

hello

"i just been there it was so cool , the hotel are great , the service are ok , its so close to naama bay ,except the food wasnt that good."

• Travel date: Fri 14th of August 2009

Horrendous!!!

"Having stayed here with my partner for 7 days I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy! Where shall I start? The food was diabolical, it was the same over and over again, served cold and drinks served in egg cup type glasses, on a number of occassions I was informed there was no water!!! Dangerous considering the heat. The staff where rude and lechy and there was never a clean table to sit at. We ate there twice in the week and we ended up with real bad stomachs. I peronally think this was due to the way they washed the glasses, under a trickle of cold water! Vile.
The boy who manned the pool area was also very arrogant and rude and upset a number of people on a number of occasions. We went to the beach most days which was lovely.
The advertisement for this hotel claims it has 3 bars, total lie, there is only one bar by the pool of a day which they close, then they open one tiny bar of an evening which is in the reception area and has only one barman, again very rude!! Drinks once again served in egg cups and if u wanted a lager he would serve 2 out of the same bottle!! and dont bank on getting a cold drink as there are'nt any, ever.
When myself and my partner complained to the manager he just was'nt interested one bit and kept repeating that he had only been manager for 3 days.
The view from our room was a police check point and whenever I opened the curtains/window they would shout things up and stare!!!
The toilet absoloutely stunk of bad drains and one day when our room was cleaned the cleaner took it upon himself to knock all of our stuff over and not bother to pick it up.
This hotel was the worst hotel we have ever visited in our lives.
Please, please take notice of this and DO NOT come here it truly is awful.
one thing though, when we did eat out there was lots of lovely restaurants to choose from, thank god for them!!!"

• Travel date: Fri 14th of August 2009

More like Fawlty towers

"Just returned from a two week all inclusive at this 'Hotel'. Where do I start, we arrived at 10.,30pm and moved into a room without a balcony or terrace despite the fact we had paid for one, eventually after chasing them for two days we got the room we paid for.
The restaraunt was a joke, the food was at best warm and bland which did not matter anyway as it took 10 minutes to find a clean table by which time the food was stone cold, which may explain why I had an 'upset stomach' for 8 of the 14 days we were there. Thank god for the Hard Rock Cafe which we ate in several times to compensate for the 'dross' served at the hotel.
the Bar was a complete joke, they ran out of beer after 4 days, you cound not get a glass at the pool as the 'big' glasses were saved for the reception bar so all drinks were served in plastic cups!!! There is a serious problem here, most of the staff are trying there best,however without proper supervision,direction or the ability to work as a team I don't see this hotel improving in the near future.
Avoid this hotel like the plague!!!"

• Travel date: Thu 13th of August 2009

Quiet Hotel - Restful - Great Location - Clean Beds/Rooms

"Just thought I would confirm peoples worst fears - this is a quiet Hotel - the DJ is a person not speaking - a few CD's played in the afternoon and the evening - no loud noise - can get into the pool - not crowded like the bigger Hotels - once the pool guy gets to know you he will save the beds for you (I am English not Egyptian) - he knew that I would then give them up when I went to the beach so he could give them to anyone waiting - some people do put their towels on there then go out to the town or beach and expect them when they return but he will move the towels if he notices this !! - there is freshly cooked omelette each morning, goes well with the beef sausages and toast and tea, lunch is chicken or beef or fish (cooked egyptian style) we are in Egypt....pasta dish, salad bar, in the evening, one evening BBQ kebabs, fresh cooked pasta etc. As this is cheap accomodation, you can afford to eat out or opt for another more expensive Hotel with entertainment, bigger variety of food which it has to be as caters for a larger audience - I have friends who have stayed in 5* and still got the tummy bug - is this the food, the rice or the ice ?? or the heat being in another country ?? who knows could even be the restaurant down the road.... we were fine all four of us...There was a shortage of glasses but I saw them purchase some before we left - and yes the lemonade is served in shot glasses but we drank this then asked for a refill....drinks are served from 11am - we stocked our fridge in the room with the free bottled water for trips out and down at the beach. (wInd Beach) tickets are available from reception - you take the pool towels down there - swap the ticket for a bed - lovely shallow water and great fish - take a snorkel !!. If you want a basic quiet Hotel - good location then this is for you if not opt for the Hotels in the Town. Or read the reviews on other Hotels and compare then pay the difference in price. Including taxi fares (although cheap) from Hotels further afield. Hope this helps. We made the very best of what we had at the price we paid. Only one barman was miserable !! the others were great.....Forgot the snacks... Hot fresh Waffles around the pool 4.30pm-5.30pm with sausages or pizza and chips, snacks available to order from the reception bar 11.30pm - 12.00pm - roll with sausages, pizza and chips - great after a night out down Naama Bay. Your Choice - you get what you pay for. !!!"

• Travel date: Tue 11th of August 2009

If you can get somewhere else then do!

"I read the reviews a couple of days before I was supposed to go and it was too late to do anything about it. The location was great, a few minutes to all the bars and ten minutes to the beach that the Falcon has free beds on.

Be very careful what you eat!! I was extremely ill on my 2nd day with food poisoning from the chicken I think and again on my 5th day!!! (chicken again I think!) I was bed ridden for 24 hours both times! I didn't speak to one person who didn't get ill or have someone in their group who was. The rest of the food was pretty average and my girlfriend didn't become ill.

My room was fine, not a very good view but it was clean and the air con worked but every day there was someone complaining at reception about their room. Other problems were that the bar staff could be rude sometimes, didn't clean the glasses and favoured the locals that were staying there. On some of the days we went down to the pool at 6.45am to find all the sunbeds already reserved by the pool boy for the Egyptians there.

The hotel was next to a building site but they had put up a large screen so you couldn't really see it and I hardly noticed it was there. The pool was fine and reasonably clean whilst I was there.

If you have already booked to stay here it is possible to enjoy your stay but expect to have a few arguments over the room and be very careful what you eat. If possible eat elsewhere! If it wasn't for the food poisoning then I would have enjoyed my stay but wouldn't go there again."

• Travel date: Tue 11th of August 2009

dont bother - get a tent

"The actual accommodation was not a four star rating and could be generously described as two star. The rooms were of a basic standard, there was a stench of effluence coming from the shower drains and w.c.
My children’s rooms had water running from the ceiling on to electrical wires, this happened on two occasions.
At booking point we were given the option of pool views or sea views and we requested a sea view.
What we actually received was a view of the room opposite’s bedroom window.
The hotel was approx 15 minutes walking distance to the sea front as opposed to “just a short stroll from the Naama Star Hotel.”.
In order to get a sea view one had to get on the roof top.
The fridge did not work – there was no mini bar.
We had to purchase water from breakfast time until eleven as the hotel refused to serve this.
Soft drinks were made from local water.
Drinks at the hotel were provided in “egg cup” type of glasses and if one went to the bar too often one was told “come back another time as you have just had a drink”.
The “bar” was a corner of the reception.
All “bars” only had one member of staff to limit the service capabilities.
All drinks including soft drinks were warm and flat, as staff would not pour a full glass. They would open a bottle of beer or soft drink, pour a small amount and then offer the contents of the bottle to the next customer.
The food was basic and lacked imagination, the same food groups were offered on a daily basis.
I.e. fish would be provided during the lunch course and would be curried for the evening course.
The majority of the guests required medical intervention due to gastric problems, including my party of four.
There was no evening entrainment and guests had to sit in the reception area as there was no other alternative.
The hotel is not geared up for European holiday makers and appears to be appropriate to local middle eastern holiday makers who are able to drink the local water and are “dry” due to their religious beliefs.
The staff had an attitiude that one was greedy if you went to the bar too often and were reluctant to serve proper measures of alcohol or soft drinks. A record of all drinks were kept by a supervisor."

• Travel date: Sun 9th of August 2009

No way a 4star GO ELSE WHERE!!!!!!!!!!!

"We were really disappointed with every thing.hotel badly organised and unclean.entertainment non existent.dj had 1 cd same everyday for 3 hours.building site literally next to your sun beds cement clouds over you as you sat.Pool unsatisfactory flies breeding in it.glasses not washed just swilled under tap.no toilets by pool ones in lobby disgusting.Be prepared with immodium you will need it."

• Travel date: Thu 6th of August 2009

good value hotel

Good

"Despite some bad reviews we went ahead and stayed in Naama Star for 2 weeks Aug/Sept and were pleasantly suprised. It was clean and all staff were professional and friendly. No problem getting served as many drinks as you like including endless bottles of water, food was "samey" but edible with buffet and barbacue (chicken or fish) most nights. No reported illnesses during our stay. The afternoon snacks served at the pool bar about 5pm were good, the waffles were particularly popular! Pool was clean and pool attendants no longer throw you off your sunbed, as they allegedly did in the past, although as with any hotel, selfish guests still leave their towel on the sunbed all day without using it. No need to take your own towels as these are provided for you to use at the pool and the beach. The room was clean and although we had single beds, we quite easily pushed them together and we were treated with a variation of animals formed from folded towels everyday, even petals and floating candles one day! The air conditioning was good but there was a drains aroma most mornings, but this is commonplace in Sharm. Although most rooms dont have balcony's, ours didn't, whilst there we hardly saw anybody use theirs anyway. The location of this hotel is really good, 10 minutes to centre and beach. Entertainment not great and the DJ simply plays his own preference in music fairly loudly, so don’t expect “easy listening” in the daytime. There is building work taking place outside the hotel but it’s hardly noticeable and there was no work taking place within the hotel during our stay except routine maintainance. We did have a problem with our entry card one day but this was sorted very promptly. It may not be a”4 star” but this hotel is great value for money and I would stay there again and recommend it to others, but not for those who want a la carte menu and all day, everyday proactive entertainment from an animation team, you will probably need to pay more as you only get what you pay for."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of September 2009

Hotels near Falcon Naama Star

Stayed at Falcon Naama Star? Share your insight.

Falcon Naama Star is also called