We have recently updated our Privacy Policy. Click here to learn more

Eden Rock Hotel

Sharm El Sheikh Egypt

Highly Recommended

Good

"Just recently returned from staying at the Eden Rock Hotel and wanted to share our thoughts. Never posted a review before but read plenty so thought time to return the favours !!.

Having been to Hurghada recently and stayed in a big 5 star all inclusive resort in the middle of nowhere, we wanted a smaller hotel centrally located and spent a fair amount of time researching before we booked it.

Eden Rock is a small ish hotel, 70 odd rooms I believe and is located on the cliffs overlooking Naama Bay. The impression when you arrive isn't great as it is down an unfinished road with lots of building sites, although very little building work while we where there.

The hotel itself is W shaped, with one half surrounding the pool area and the other surrounding a lawned, garden area. It is only 2 storey and all rooms overlook either the pool or the garden. No rooms overlook the front as best I know.

We were located on a 2nd storey room overlooking the garden area which gave views over the town, the bay and the desert beyond.

The whole hotel looks very new with everything seemingly well maintained. The bar area is reasonably small and a bit souless but then most of the time you are likely to be drinking on the terrace so does it matter !.

The Restaurant leads off the bar and serves buffet style meals. Breakfast was good with lots of fruit, cereals etc and tea and coffees.

We were half board so used the Restaurant in the evenings. This was again buffet style and the food was OK. Never stayed half board before and must admit found it a bit restricting. The Restaurant is too brightly lit and didn't have any atmosphere. It was full of people eating, rather than people enjoying a meal if that makes sense !!

We ate outside on a few evenings but towards the end of the week, we gave up on it and went into town. If we went again, we would look to go b and b.

Smallish pool but perfectly acceptable and was generally quiet but sunbeds did become less available as the week went on.

From the Pool Terrace are the steps that lead down into town. They are quite steep and there are over a 100 of them but you can be in town in about 8 minutes. The steps will not suit everyone, they wouldn't get past the Health and Safety police in the UK but if you carefull they are fine.

The Hotel Beach is across the road at the bottom of the steps. It looks like it is man made and isn't huge but you can get into the sea and snorkel off the beach.

Turn left at the bottom of the steps and you walk past a few more hotel beaches and pretty soon you are in town.

Naama has all the usual bars, shops and restaurants and you can pretty much eat any type of foods you want in the beach bars and other restaurants.

Back to the hotel, the rooms are what you would expect from a hotel room. They have beds, TV, phone, Fridge, Aircon and Bathroom. We had a balcony and ground floor rooms had a small terrace.

Rooms were well maintained, clean and regularly serviced.

The staff in the hotel were excellent throughout.

We took a very small amount of Egyptian currency and English cash. Some of the Diving Schools will let you pay in English but generally everyting is priced in local currency.

I would suggest taking English cash and changing it there as you get a better rate there than you will at home.

Generally the Eden Rock was great and was exactly what we wanted. It is close enough to town to walk but above most of the hustle and bustle noise.

It comes highly recommended."

• Travel date: Tue 27th of November 2007

Lovely Hotel - Perfect Location

"My friend and myself booked a cheap holiday here for a week in October. Given the price that we paid we were extremely pleased with the hotel as a whole.
The location was perfect for both the beach and all the restaurants. It is also close to the airport (the planes fly over the hotel but didn’t bother us at all) so the transfer is very short. Eden Rock has a shared private beach that is at the bottom of the steps (all 115 of them!) which is perfect for snorkelling and sunbathing.
The steps were a bit of a pain but were worth it for the views. We tended to stay around the pool most days – there were fresh towels and waiter service to hand – although the snorkelling at the beach is not to be missed.
As there is no entertainment at the hotel and there is so much to do and see in the main centre, we ate out every night. Therefore, we were glad that we did not go all inclusive.
The staff were extremely friendly and problems we had one day with hot water was quickly resolved. I would definitely return to the hotel and highly recommend it."

• Travel date: Tue 16th of October 2007

Great hotel, fabulous location!

"This was a brilliant hotel in the most amazing location - wonderful views of the whole of Naama Bay, the downtown and the sea from the swimming pool and your balcony if you have a poolview room. Even the restaurant has these fab views.

The hotel was clean, friendly staff, good varied food, efficient and with all the amenities - we even booked a massage for a reasonable price.

The best part about it was the location. You walk down the steps behind the swimming pool and within 60 seconds you are on the lovely beach and in the middle of the town. Lots of hotels say they are in Naama Bay, but they are nowhere the town. This one is! I would rather stay here than in the 5* hotels that are a cab ride away.

Another plus it that we were 2 mins by shuttle bus away from our dive centre -Dive Africa. Dive Africa was great too - we did a PADI course there and loved it. Really good friendly instructors and very reasonable prices.

We were pleased at how cheap the drinks are from the mini bar and when you order soft drinks at your table at dinner. I also found the dry cleaning very cheap too.

We had a wonderful time and would definitely go again."

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of August 2007

Great Place to stay

"We stayed in the hotel for 7 Nights in Jan 2007. We were made to feel welcome by all the staff when we first arrived. The food in the morning was fresh and appealing witha varied selection of everything on offer. My recommendations is the Ommletts made to order. The staff were extreamly friendly and bend over backwards to help you out. The Hotel is just on edge of the centre approx a 3 min walk to the main hub. It is situated on one of the hills and we were greated to an amazing view of Nama Bay every morning when we opened out curtains. As the hotel was up and away it was also quite. In fact the hotels was so quite we were the only couple there for a few days until the liveaboards came in.

The hotel is not a 5 * hotel but who needs all the trimmings???
The only downside to the hotel is the path to the town is down the hill. Be prepared for the 100 Step climb. Well that is if you want to come through the back, you can always get a taxi if your lazy. After a few days you get used to the climb. The even provide a chair half way up so you can sit an look out ouver Nama Bay and take in the spectacular view.

Were we diving with Red Sea Colledge who agian I can not praise highly enough. All the staff we eager to please. As it was not busy we found that sometimes we had our own personal dive guide as everyone else on the boat was in training.
The boat never had more than 6 people on it which meant ample space to loose each other. We took a night dive with Red Sae Colledge which was my first and something I would highly recommend to anyone. My partner has done many night dives and claims this was the best one she had done.

The whole place was extreamly quite as it was off Peak. This was an ideal time to come. i had been given all the stories about hassle hassle hassle and it just did not happen. Yes people willl approach you in the street. They are not rude just be pleasent back.

The food in the restaurants is cheap but by no means low quality.
We found that we could have a good feed and drink for little over £20.

This was my first visit to Egypt and will certainly not be the last. I will go back to this hotel time and time again."

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of March 2007

We loved Eden Rock

"Our stay at Eden Rock was excellent. We cannot praise the staff of this Hotel enough. We were made to feel very welcome - the friendly atmosphere generated by the staff made our stay a relaxing home from home experience. The food was delicious - a good varied menu - well presented and very tasty. The Hotel is kept immaculately clean from the rooms to the very inviting swimming pool and surrounding areas.
Our stay at Eden Rock was in conjunction with a liveaboard diving trip but we enjoyed our stay at Eden Rock so much that we would like to make a return visit with our family - just to stay at Eden Rock. If anyone could advise how to book with them directly, I would be most grateful as there does'nt appear to be
access to book on line or even make direct contact and we are keen to book up for this year."

• Travel date: Fri 16th of March 2007

An oasis of calm

Good

"The Eden Rock is an oasis of calm in a somewhat frenetic resort. It's location is superb - on the edge of Naama Bay - and the views are second to none.

The rooms are beautifully decorated in traditional Egyptian style, with tasteful wooden carvings on the furniture and doors. They are also immaculate. The cleaner comes in everyday (also to provide the towel decorations).

There are steep steps leading from the town to the hotel, but they're not that bad. In any case, being so high up means being quiet! There are also no lifts within the hotel, which is probably why the Eden Rock doesn't get a higher star rating.

My only criticism of the hotel would be the food - a pretty poor show, with little effort. Anyone booking would be wise to bring some snack/breakfast provisions.

For the discerning traveller, who doesn't want to be part of the mass tourism crowd and subjected to evening 'entertainment' (all hotel entertainers also work the bars), this is a perfect choice. Despite concerns over the food, we would return."

• Travel date: Thu 19th of October 2006

egyptian belly!

"myself and my boyfriend just returned from a wk at the red rock in sharm.the hotel was so small and welcoming it was like being a visator in a friends home!
few problems , the hotel had only 4 other guests so it was ghoastly quite, not to mention the amount of staff standing around and that got to be quite annoying as i understand they wanted to be friendly but it became a nightmare to eat at night as half the staff stood around our table and chatted endlessly to us.We stayed half board and the first two days we had a nice buffet every evening with a reasonable selection, but day three the hotel was down to 4 guests so obviously the buffet went, in its place a la carte which had only 3 choices fish steak or chicken, all dry and without much flavour, buffett defenitly better, we also felt at times the staff were always on the make for tips and i found that annoying!In general sharm is very quite obviously the bomb in taba didnt help the beach was ghoastly quite, i wouldnt reccomend egypt for the faint hearted, the intense heat is overwhelming, and the nite temp is still in the 40s with hot hot winds which makes even standing on your balcony impossible, i followed all the rules with bottled water, no fruit or salads, and i still got chronic stomach pains and diaohriaa and day three my boyfriend got it, we are now home ten days and are still unwell, in the return coach to the airport we met lots of other travellers and even guests of the five star hotel had bad cramps like us so again as i say not for the faint hearted, if you have booked egypt try cancel if not go and hope for the best,i have never been so negative about a hoilday and i have travelled extensively but unfortunately getting so sick ruined the tri;p"

• Travel date: Wed 14th of June 2006

We will go back to Eden Rock

"My husband and I have just returned from Eden Rock Hotel in Sharm El Sheikh and must say it was a really superb 2 weeks... the staff at the hotel were so friendly and being a small hotel by the end of the 2 weeks were like old friends ! Much prefer the smaller hotels than the larger ones in Sharm. The buffet style food was excellent, we were half board and they serve lunches as well on the poolside. The perfect situation for the private beach (ok down some steps but worth it), and Naama Bay itself. The staff on the beach were great with daily exercise classes on the beach and aquerobics in their heated pool if you want to join in also access to their 'On Deck' restaurant during the day or evening if you want entertainment. The weather was great. Perfect Winter sun. We SHALL go again to Eden Rock"

• Travel date: Wed 15th of March 2006

great location

Good

"first trip to sharm, very impressed with eden rock hotel, great location just 2 mins walk to dive boat jetty and 5 mins from the centre, meals were buffet style and of excellent standard, superb views overlooking naama bay, hotel staff very friendly and helpfull, the only down side was the steps at the rear of the hotel, going down to the beach and main road, 115 in all, great place to stay, will be using the hotel again next year,"

• Travel date: Wed 6th of April 2005

fantastic

"We stayed at Eden Rock last February and are returning next month. Its a lovely hotel situated on the edge of Naama bay, overlooking the sea. The staff are very helpful, nothing is to much for them, thay also remember what you drink and bring it to you when visiting the resturant, each day. The only complaint is the pool is freezing, its not heated, but there is always a sunlounger to be found. The hotel is situated up a number of steps up the rock face, so would not be any good to anyone with mobility problems, but great for getting that heart working on the way to your private beach. The rooms are emaculate, very clean with a great view, a bonus of having the male cleaner make you things out of towels each day. I would reccomend this hotel and cant wait to return next month."

• Travel date: Sun 16th of January 2005

Trade description

"The holiday I booked had listed in the brochure these facilites:-
Gym,Beauty and therapy centre,pool table.These facilites were not at the Hotel.Also said in brochure that there were swimming pools but there was only one pool.
The actual photograph of the hotel in the brochure which showed Naarma Bay from the actual hotel swimming pool was in reverse.Therefore I assumed I was staying on the opposite side of Naarma Bay to where the hotel actually was.
Steps to beach were very dangerous.No hand rail and very steep..This was not mentioned in the brochure re people with walking difficulties.I had had strange turns due to walking in Nov. 2008 and was not allowed to drive for 10 weeks after that. I therefore contacted my insurance company re my holiday abroad.
I would not have booked this holiday re walking to the beach if that had been mentioned in the brochure and also I feel I paid for a holiday package that
was not as quoted in the brochure and I feel that I paid excess for what I actually got.As they also charged me £100 ere re flight.But other guests were on the same flight as me.
The actual Hotel was wonderful and so were the staff but I chose a holiday to have with exercise and relaxation facilities which Solitair should not have advertised as they did not exist and certainly these facilites were not removed just before my booking as reception told me they are not due until July 2009.
I should have been told,that many facts in the brochure were incorrect when I booked by telephone direct with Solitair's member of staff ,Helen.
I have actually written to them and the reply was just excuses.
For instance they would have driven me to another hotel with a gym. That is not what I would have chosen. Also there was,which I did see ,a table by the swimming ppool for a massage. Not at all what I would call a beauty and therapy centre,especilly as it was overlooked by guests around the swimming pool! Journey to beach was either a taxi or a long walk.Again this was not in the brochure.They just made irrelavant comments re my letter.
I would like to make compensation re this holiday as I do feel that their advertising was not correct ie trade description.
Look forwad to hearing from you,
Many thanks,
Lesley

• Travel date: Mon 20th of July 2009

My boyfriend and I have returned from Ed...

Good

"My boyfriend and I have returned from Eden Rock - however we had actually booked into Halomy Apartments next door - On arrival we were taken into Eden Rock (which we didnt mind as it looked much nicer than the Halomy from the outside!). We were given a small twin room which we complained about as we had booked a family room. It was no problem to move us and we found ourselves in a superbly spacious family room with king size bed. Staff were very helpful and friendly at check in.
The room itself was lovely with the daily towel art a nice touch (however be aware of leaving loose change lying around as this can be mistaken for a tip!) The apartments and pool were clean although the pool at this time of year was freezing! there was also a serious lack of sunbeds but the pool made up for this as a good size for the amount of guests and good for kids.
I would advise anyone to go room or b&b only as the food was terrible! We had breakfast on all of 3 occasions and ate only once in the evening. However the staff were pleasant when I requested a specific salad and tried their best to accomodate this.
We would recommend and would return to Eden Rock but definately only as room only."

• Travel date: Fri 23rd of May 2008

Hotels near Eden Rock Hotel

Stayed at Eden Rock Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Eden Rock Hotel

• lesleyann by lesleyann

"I would certainly recommend the Hotel and Sharm. Not rtecommend Solitair. "

Eden Rock Hotel is also called