Domina Coral Bay Sultan

Marsa El Dekhela Building 6, Sharm El Sheikh 46619 Egypt

Good

take bad reviews with a pinch of salt

"I have taken the time out to write this review because before we went to the Sultan I read many bad reviews about it, reviews which I feel are completely unjustified. If you want your hotel to be full of english people, go to blackpool. In North Africa, yes there are egyptian people, russians, italians and french. When we checked in there was a coach party of russians arriving so the manager personally sat down with us and went through all the info and check in process with us. We were then taken on a little golf cart thing to our room where someone put our cases on the bed and showed us the mini bar, safe etc. The room was massive, cleaned everyday and had a beautiful pool view. They even came round every so often to check you were ok and gave you chocolates. The Sultan has its own private pool, own private section of the beach, its own hotel bar, beach bar and pool bar all which you can use exclusively and you never have to queue. They give you as much bottled water as you want and ice is made from filtered water so you can have lovely cold drinks. You can eat at the pool bar, the sultan restaurant, the wady restaurant on the beach, the coral restaurant (main one for the whole resort) and also the alhambra morrocan restaurant. No, you cant eat at every single restaurant on the resort but if you stayed in any other hotel would you expect to wander over to the hotel next door and be able to eat there?! The food is not amazing but it is standard all inclusive buffet type food. The morrocan was a set menu and def the best meal we had. The disco isnt included but this costs bout £10 to get in and is an open bar. Also its £5 to Naama Bay (reception arrange a taxi for you) and here you can get a huge dinner for about £20 and there are loads of great bedouin and shisha bars. On the way in to Naama Bay we saw all the other hotels that we had considered staying at. They are literally one off buildings on a dusty road, miles from the beach. Domina Bay is fantastic because its like a small town so you have plenty of space to wander and diff pools, beaches etc. to go to. The taftafs run every 5 mins and at night they will take you directly to where you want to go. Included in you AI you get a days free snorkelling and also there are loads of things at the hotel like you can do an intro to scuba diving in the pool for free. The Sultan beach has its own floating swimming pool aside from the main one and the snorkeliing off this is fantastic. There are jelly fish but only when the tide is at a certain point and they dont sting anyway. People that went on this holiday expecting luxury were sadly deluded. If you want luxury, stay at the hilton down the road. When you pay £400 for a week all inclusive you get what you pay for!"

• Travel date: Fri 29th of June 2007

Worst holiday ever

"I have just returned from this hotel and my advice to anyone booked to go to this hotel is to change hotels. I was in a party of three and all three of us got very ill, My mum had severe gastroenterities and spent four days in bed been drugged up by the various different tablets the doctor had prescribed and there was a number of other people with the same illness so much that MedHotels are investigating it!! I have been to lots of all inclusive resorts and expect the food to be the same the majority of the time, in the seven days I was there it did not change once. Leave your table for two minutes with food on it and you will come back to at least three birds eating it not to mention the flys and this was indoors! no wonder we were all ill. The pool was a great size and the rooms were very clean and our room boy was very pleasent. If you are taking kids and expect free ice cream its only available at the beach between 1pm and 3pm and this is a hike of about 15 mins all up hill on the way back at the hottest time of day!!! so be prepared."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of June 2007

Brilliant!!!

"Just back from 2 week hol and couldn't fault it, well apart from all the Russians and Italians, VERY RUDE!! Hotel was lovely, brilliant location, food was also very good, loads of selection. Only negative was that not all the bars and resaurants in the resort were all inclusive, but all in all would highly recommend for any age group."

• Travel date: Sat 9th of June 2007

Relaxing holiday, excellent for couples

"I was so worried about this holiday i tried to change hotels, luckily i couldnt because this is a very nice hotel. All inclusive means 3 meals a day in a choice of three restaurants including a really good buffet restaurant serving for evening meals kebabs, fresh pasta, good salads,lots of good quality fresh meat and a selection of very good cakes for after. We have been on many all inclusive holidays before and bottled water has not been included but it is here for round the pool and with all meals. the drink includes wine, beer, gin,rum,whiskey,vodka and pop and squash is also available. there are no diet drinks included other than at lunchtime when you can get diet coke. the sultan is on a large complex with other hotels but you can walk to them and use there facilities you just do not get drink in them. You would not get the use of other hotels if you went anywhere else. The el sultan is probably not good for families as there is not free entertainment for the kids and they would get a bit bored, also not for people who enjoy clubbing etc but for couples and mates to get away who can make there own entertainment its great. THE SEA IS AMAZING FOR SNORKELLING AND THE FISH ARE BEAUTIFUL SO WOULD RECCOMEND AN UNDER WATER CAMERA. The staff are friendly and the taff taffs take you round the resort if you dont want to walk. our room was clean and had a lovely view of the sea. We had a five minute walk to the other complex from the sea.We only paid £400 each and thought that for the price could not complain. Russians were ill mannered but so were some english and italians. Its not a race thing just some people have manners and some dont. You are going on hols in egypt not spain so just allow for the difference in culture. Staff are nice if you make the effort.I hope this helps."

• Travel date: Sun 29th of April 2007

Nowhere near as bad as these reviews

Good

"I usually don't write reviews about holidays I've been on, but after seeing some of these other comments, I too thought I should offer my opinion on the place.

I spent a week at the Sultan with my girlfriend for her birthday and, I must admit, we can't fault the place. All inclusive was just that: any drink (which were served all day from 10am - 12am), and any meal in the designated restaurants (which were clean with fantastic food).

The hotel complex may be big but the Taf Tafs (bus service) were regular and seems to condense the place and make it easily manageable.

I must also complain about people who have stated that the rooms are never cleaned. Not only was our room cleaned on a daily basis, but we would return to our room in the evenings to find our towels have been made into fantastic creations (as our pictures show).

Domina is only a 200EP (£2) taxi fare away from Naama Bay which is very exciting, and with the exception of mosquitos and the strange fact that the complex has a seperate time zone to the rest of Egypt, it was a throughly enjoyable stay."

• Travel date: Sat 28th of April 2007

Fantastic hotel, what's all the fuss about???

"After reading the reviews I was aprehensive about going to this hotel. Sure the Russians are there but so are about 20 other nationalities, what do people want, little britian??? Food good, hot, plentiful and varied, drinks fine as long as you read what you have to do.It is a big complex but there is so much to do and it is so spread out that it does not feel crowded. Overall a very good hotel but would advise to book all-inclusive as prices can be expensive. Rooms cleaned and bedding changed on a regular basis. Overall a great family holiday."

• Travel date: Thu 26th of April 2007

GET ALL THE INFO BEFORE YOU BOOK!!!!!!!!

"Me and my husband booked this hotel under the impression that it was a premier 5* all inclusive but it most definately was not.
Our travel agent completly misrepresented the hotel and we had sent off a massive complaint because we definitaly did not get the holiday that we paid a fortune for.
Some facts that you should know before you go:
- you can only drink in 1 'bar' at night which consists of of a few tables around a disused swimming pool which is swarming with mosquitoes!
- there is a HUGE CONSTRUCTION SITE right next to one of the restaurants and the noise from this is awful and there are huge diggers going up and down all day.
- you can not eat at all of the restaurants as we were told, you get an allowance for some of the a la carte restaurants but this is only enought to cover a starter and excludes drinks so you always end up with a bill.
- you can't use the salt lake
- you can't go into the sea from the beach so children cannot paddle because of the protected coral
- the hotel, entertainment, food etc is all aimed at foreign guests and there are not that many English. Mostly Russians and Italians!
- The food is the restaurants is sooooooo repetative - most probably to get you to eat and pay at one of the other restaurants
- we were 'told off' by restaurant staff very rudely because we attempted to take a half empty bottle of water from the restaurant. When we told them we were all inclusive they said that all inclusive was INSIDE the restaurants and not out! great! they would rather waste the water than let you finish it elsewhere. how rediculous
- restaurants are full of birs that nest in ceiling vents etc that eat off your plate when your back is turned so NEVER leave your food unattended! A bird also [---] on me which I found disgusting!I don't think the hotel really cares about the hygeine implications of this but we most certainly did.
- DO NOT expect a double bed if you have booked one like we did. we had 2 singles pushed together and when we asked them to change it they just put a double sheet over both singles! when we asked a further 3 times they decided to ignore us and do nothing about it.
- the swimming pools in the sea are gross! they are dirty and full of dead jelly fish and lionfish - don't bother.
sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you should be entitled to know the truth before you pay!
The scuba diving is fantastic though!!
Please do not go expecting a 5* because thi is not true and you will be disappointed - even hotel staff admitted that it was more like a 3*."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of April 2007

Sultan Review

"I thought I'd come on Trip Advisor to see what other guests thought of this hotel, having just returned I now know that I am not alone in many of my opinions.
This is not to say that that we didnt have a good time in the Domina, but it was by no means a hassle free experience. The hotel is not 5*, its a good 3*, which for the money we paid (late booking) isnt too bad, although we met many people who had forked out a lot more. I believe many of the problems are due to the sheer size of the resort (over 4000 people can be housed there), its huge. Meal times are hectic and like previous reviewers have mentioned, the Russians (of whom there are many) are extremely rude and have no concept of ques or manners. The other major disappointment is the All Inclusive restrictions, not all of the restuarants are AI and obviously its the better ones that have to be paid for. Domina Time which has already been mentioned is confusing and it also cuts short your evening time at the Sultan with the bar effectively being closed at 11pm - 12pm Domina Time.
The staff where helpful, although we did encounter an unsavoury incident with one of them on our last night, but on the whole they were fine.
The settings of the hotel are great, clean with fantastic sea views almost all round and of course the weather was spot on.
So overall Id say that if you are looking for a 5* holiday, do not go to the Domina, you will be disappointed, however if you get a good deal on and want a decent spot for a reduced price I'd say the Domina would be fine."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of April 2007

Ok surroundings shame about everything else

"This was my 3rd trip to Egypt and this hotel was definately the worst.

The hotel buildings and grounds its self are quite pleasant but the complex is far too big, which is why they supply buses to help you get around.

Reading other reviews I think we struck lucky with our rooms and got newish ones with a sea view. Altogether on the complex there are 6 hotels and many of the rooms are time share and apart from the Harem all the other hotels are B&B or HB and this is where the problems begin. AI at the Sultan is not AI as we Brits know and love, there are restrictions galore.

You can only get drinks from the Sultan pool bar, beach bar or the bar opposite reception or at the allocated restaurants (with restrictions) not too bad but when you can use all of the other swimming pools in the complex but not the pool bars it is a problem, who wants to be by a pool all day without a drink?! Wouldn't normally be a problem only using one pool BUT The Russians where there, a large party (they had 70 rooms) complete with decks and DJ and all day they played loud awful dance music. Im only 26 and still going out clubbing but this was bad especially all day every day and couple that with drunk loud Russians parading round it started to get on your t*ts.

We complained and were told it was the animation team but when the Russians went so did the awful music. This groups last night, they apparently 'hired' the pool and surrounding area from midday to midnight. Yes this same pool that everyone else had paid their holiday money for to use. The music was even louder this last day and on complaint a rude Russian told us this was her pool for the day and she had hired 15 djs for a party, only when several Brits complained did the hotel management go round and offer everyone who wasn't part of the party the use of another pool with drinks available at cost to the hotel as it was a HB hotel pool, which was also unheated! Into the night the party cranked up and so did the strobe lighting and music and I felt really sorry for the hotel staff who had to deal with complaints from famillies who had pool view rooms but then again I felt sorry for the families trying to get kiddies to sleep with a rave going on outside their room and the hotel management did authorise it...... We and other British people and the hotel staff we spoke to found the Russians extremely rude, they think nothing of pushing in, speaking over you to hotel staff, demanding drinks, clicking their fingers and desending in their groups to the area you are sitting in and taking over your table and obviously talking about you being loud until you get so annoyed you move - arguements and fights where definately brewing.

Food was ok, had better at other hotels, drinks at meal times was a problem. For some reason the didn't really like to give you drinks! I had to battle, argue, shout and cause a scene each day to get more than one small bottle of water between 4 of us to have with lunch (which didn't even fill all 4 glasses) and lo and behold if you wanted to take fruit for later in the afternoon or your water bottle if you had some left - the restaurant staff would come after you to take it back! At restaurants at night the only drinks you could get (unless you paid) was water, wine, beer and coke/sprite, no spirits, only some restaurants would give you juice.

As I said before this hotel complex is far too big and with the different board basis at the different hotels the staff couldn't cope and don't like doing the AI, in fact a few staff told us it would be stopping as they are out of pocket with it.

This experience has put my friend's husband of Egypt and he won't go back but i love Egypt and Sharm and will definately go back just not to this complex."

• Travel date: Thu 29th of March 2007

Do not book the Sultan AI package.

"Poor quality hotel no to visit

The Domina Sultan Hotel and Resort is by far the worst all inclusive hotel I have come across in Egypt. It totally miss repressive the concept of "Superior 5 star" all inclusive accommodation. Should only be rated at 2 to 3 stars
Example of the failures are:- may items from there web pages are not included in the AI package. E.g. no dedicated club carts. AI only allowed to drink in one very small bar. No beach bar service. Limited choice of restaurants standard of food ranges from cold and very poor to poor and some times warm. No “a la carte” but set menus and long queuing at breakfast and dinner.
Resort is run on Moscow time one hr. on from Egypt time. Therefore lots of eastern Europeans “Russians”
Lot more problems and faults. Lots of walking to beach, restaurant and up and down slops.

Advice do not book this resort or hotel. If you book change it.

I have visited Egypt on 5 other trips and other hotels were all good."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of March 2007

Diarrhoea and Vomitting If you stay here.

"This is the worse hotel we have ever stayed. This is not 5 star hotel not even 2 star, room as standard for 2 adult and 2 children, they gave us standard room and put 2 pulled out bed making the room even smaller, our next door is a single woman and paid $40 US Dollars for the same room as we have. All inclusive is a joke, there is only one restaurant that you can eat " Coral Restaurant" and the food is very limited,
Hotdogs for breakfast is used as a salad for lunch and dinner..Hygine is poor, below standard and there are too many guess who had GASTROENTERITIS.. just like us. Their medical centre is one big con. One big tourist trap. Keep away from this hotel if your looking to have a good holiday rather than spending your whole time in the toilet. NEVER AGAIN..Russian/ Italy.. are wellcome. Not for British"""" "

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of January 2011

after reading all the great reviwes on t...

"after reading all the great reviwes on this hotel i couldnt wait to arrive. the rooms were cleaned everyday and the clener was so friendly but i was very disapointed that i was told i was only allowed to use 1 pool (pool 13) i found one of the towel men there was very creepy asking very personal question the made me feel very uncomfertable. the holiday rep was very rude and refused to help confirm the time for the transfer bus collecting us returning to the uk.reception was polite but unhelpfull and in total i was very disapointed in this hotel I WILL NOT BE STAYING HERE AGAIN."

• Travel date: Wed 24th of September 2008

Hotels near Domina Coral Bay Sultan

Stayed at Domina Coral Bay Sultan? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Domina Coral Bay Sultan

• barbarian by barbarian

"stay away for your sake. "

Domina Coral Bay Sultan is also called