Dessole Pyramisa Sharm El Sheikh Resort

PO Box 101 Shark Bay, Sharm El Sheikh Egypt

Great Place

"After reading some of the recent reviews, i must have stayed at a completely different hotel. OK it’s not in the same league as the hotels in the Caribbean, but there is nothing wrong with the place. Our room was in a villa style of apartments over looking the sea, had a great view of the sea every morning. Rooms were always cleaned to a spotless level, and had everything that you could want in there, no cockroaches in sight; don’t think I saw any even walking around the resort. Place was well maintained and gardeners were always looking after the grounds, and I also maintenance people walking around carrying out repairs to any walls that needing tiding.

Food was great, there was enough choice of food, which catered for all nationalities unless you are really fussy then I would stick to Spain. Breakfast was the same everyday; don’t expect bacon or proper sausages or much in terms of pig products as it is a Muslim country. But if you do miss you chips then you can get these at the pizza restaurant by the pool or at the beach.

Staff there were great, cannot fault any of them, I have 2 little boys and they were always great with them, we mainly ate at the papeete restaurant and got to know then really well in there and they always looked after us in there. But staff at the other restaurants and bars were also ok, also regarding getting drinks at the bar, the longest I had to wait was about 30 secs to get served, so never had to really queue. The animation team were fine, they were friendly and tried to get people involved, as already mentioned this is not on the same scale as the resorts on the Caribbean so don’t expect the same level of animation, but was they did was great and did do there best. There are enough placed to sit in the evenings whether it’s by the bar by reception or by the pool.

The sea was great, the beach backs onto the coral and you can see fishes swimming around your feet would recommend going snorkelling and give the glass bottom boat a miss. Also did not have issues with the beach either, but its all down to expectations

I didn't have problems with the place, but if you don't like to many steps then you might find the place difficult to get around, also some people might find the pool abit to cold, but when it gets hot then its a good way to cool of.

Couple of tips; don’t get a visa from the airport if you don't want to travel of the Sinai peninsular. Just right Sinai only and go straight to passport control and they will let you through without any issues.

Don’t book transfers, as the hotel is only a few Kilometres from the airport. Expect to pay about £5 or less, they will haggle with you, but keep trying. The blue and white taxis do look a bit dodgy. Taxi from the hotel back is easier to organise, as they are parked in the parking area and these are all black executive cars, these would cost you about £3.5 to £5 to get back to the airport, and you can travel in style.

Tips go a long way, so keep some small change handy as they will appreciate this and will also look after you just the little bit more. Also we found some people English people really arrogant with the staff, maybe this is why they get bit of a bad service, but all the staff have name tags and they will appreciate you calling them by there name and not waiter.

Anyway I had a great time, and if I just wanted a break with good weather and got a good deal for this hotel then I would go again."

• Travel date: Fri 31st of March 2006

just try another one

"My friends and I have been spending 11 terrible days at the Pyramisa Hotel in Sharm. The rooms’ quality was poor, and we had to share them with mice and bugs.

The service was not that better… Hotel crew members were not pleasant. Every evening, we had to argue to get a table for the 6 of us. There were only a few “big” tables, and joining 2 others was “not possible”. Some evenings, we had to wait up to one hour before getting a table…
You may think that when we finally got a table and reach the buffet we would be pleased… too bad. The food was not that good neither. At least, bugs did not seem to mind ;-)

Anyway, We’ve been in Egypt to dive, and that was perfect."

• Travel date: Fri 27th of January 2006

An honest opinion

"We stayed at the Pyramisa between 08/01/06 – 15/01/06.
We had a great holiday.
The hotel has 5* facilities, it’s probably maintained at around 4.5*. It’s difficult to say now, with hotels in Dubai doing 6 or 7*, yet the Grand Floridian hotel on site in Florida Disneyworld still only being rated 5*. Still, don’t be mistaken, pretty much everything is cleaner and of a better standard than your typical 3* Spanish holiday hotel.
The staff are helpful, friendly, and speak good English.
The food is good, sometimes excellent. No pork on offer.
Home made soups and fresh baked bread very good.
Misleading food signs (such as ‘Fish in Tricky sauce’ or ‘Foul Beans’) make all meals a hilarious event.
No A/I food available after restaurants close at 10pm, although room service is 24 hour, and cheeseburger and chips is only £2.80!
Bar for A/I closes at midnight, although you can still buy drinks. On site disco (1st drink free) is open till 3am I believe, but never went.
The (bottled) beer (no draught) was very good, tasted a bit like a Michelob. No such thing as Bacardi, but Egyptian rum is very good, tastes (and was coloured) like Caribbean (Mount Gay) rum. All ice is made from mineral water.
One free 1.5L bottle of water pp available every day from the water station, next to the doorway for the indoor pool.
The weather was virtually cloudless blue sky everyday, temps about 23C (73F), UV4, all four of us got varying stages of sunburn / tan.
With a Bank, shops, and diving school on site, there almost is no reason to go out of the gates, apart from the obvious desire to explore further.
We booked the day trip to Cairo (by air) off the medhotels rep in reception, £135 each, which included door to door, entrance fees to Citadel (Mohamed Aly mosque), Cairo Museum (with King Tut treasures), Lunch, Pyramids & Sphinx, perfume & papyrus factories. A long day (5.30am pickup) but back in time for evening meal, well worth the visit, even if just to experience the driving in Cairo!

If your room is in the main block (as we were), then everything is very close at hand, but if you are located further away, then you will have a bit of a walk to the food and bars, and there are several steps to negotiate. I wouldn’t consider the complex to be wheelchair friendly. There are no lifts on site, but there is a courtesy bus (called taf taf) running from reception to beach and back.
Keep your eye on young kiddies if walking from the main pool down to the beach, as in one or two places they could walk right off the roof edge of the buildings adjacent to the stairway down, there are no guard rails, and it is as much as a 30 foot drop in places.
I read elsewhere that there are tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms, well our room didn’t, luckily we took our own kettle.
Flies can be a bit pesky. There aren’t swarms, but irritating by the end of the week.

All in all, a good value for money holiday."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of January 2006

Ok but far better in Sharm

"This hotel is good value for money, however, having stayed at 2 other hotels in Sharm El Sheikh it's not up to the same standard and the rates at many hotels in Sharm are comparable. Pyramisa has lots of potential because the main hall is impressive and the pools are great but the atmosphere and standard of the rooms and food lets it down a bit. The food was a bit of a problem because it sometimes came out cold but this was always rectified asap when it was pointed out.

I went in May and it was very busy, you sometimes had to queue to get in the restaurants and on the night when they have their outdoor "barbeque" it was very difficult to get a seat. Many people went to the restaurants in nearby Shark's Bay when this happened. There was a lack of sunbeds and you had to be up at 8 to make sure you got one. Admittedly some people had a terrible time and out of 4 couples we arrived with I think all 4 were going to complain when they got home. Because of problems we had we were offered a £50 voucher but to be honest apart from the food this was more to do with the holiday company we went with (Med Hotels). There isn't really a beach as it is on a cliff face so possibly not ideal for children, particularly because you walk along a walkway and are straight into very deep and often quite choppy sea. The top pool was very noisy and so kept the children entertained but was a bit much for adults wanting a relaxing time!

In terms of tipping, the only times I find this a bit intimidating in Egypt is with the porters but this has been the same every time I have been to Egypt. You just need to make sure you don't let them take your bags without asking! The staff do not speak very good English at this hotel as it mainly caters for the Russians and Germans but there is an English speaking guest relations person who can help if you have problems.

My recommendation would be to go to the Nabq Bay area of Sharm. This is further out (with regular buses) but is less packed than the busy Naama Bay in the day and has far gentler, softly shelving and therefore warmer shores (a bit more picturesque!). There's no hassle and it really is one of the most beautiful places I've been. Shark's Bay is great for trips because you are near Tiran Island where we've seen plenty of dolphins before so would always recommend a visit but there's nicer places to stay.

I would recommend Sharm to anyone, and if you stay at the Pyramisa you will probably have an ok time, I just use this site regularly now when booking holidays and always appreciate reading about other people's experiences. Hope it helps!"

• Travel date: Tue 17th of January 2006

Stop Moaning!

"Stayed at this hotel for two weeks, and to be honest don't know what people are moaning about in their reviews. Paid £500 for two weeks all inclusive (you would be lucky to get a weekend at Centre Parcs for the same amount).

Clearly the hotel is not UK five star, but certainly a three star. It has more choice than any other all inclusive I have stayed at, and the staff looked after me and my partner 110%.

People moan about tipping - you are in Eygpt, you can't blame the hotel for this it is their culture, tip little and often and you will be looked after.

The water is sometimes a little murky, but after our plane being delayed for 24 hours and being put up in the Hilton on our return - their water was also too a brown colour as it is rain and sand water that is being filtered through.

The beaches are fabulous and the coral reefs are beyond this world, and if you don't like being stuck in an all-inclusive hotel get a taxi and go to the bay (only costs £3 each way.

Had no problem with insects other them the Mozzies (can't really blame the hotel for that though can I).

Why not try the hotel for yourself and see rather than paying too much attention to sites like this, opinions are after all just that! And what on earth are people expecting for £500 for two weeks All Inclusive - the holiday of a lifetime, unlikely don't you think.

The only point I agree with is Med Hotel Reps are alittle worse for wear - if available, but people with common sense should enjoy a holiday without a rep.

Thanks to all the staff at Pyrimisa for making it a really good holiday!"

• Travel date: Sat 7th of January 2006

Wall to Wall Sunshine

"After reading the (very) mixed reviews, it was a very pleasant surprise to find a clean, friendly and well-serviced hotel which really just needs a facelift. We enjoyed a cheap, cheerful week away and wall-to-wall sunshine with fantastic snorkelling! We tipped the beach waiters at the beginning of the week, and they really looked after us. If you're expecting the UK version of 5* luxury, then you're in the wrong place, but if you like the facilities of a 5* but can tolerate the decor of a dated 4* then you'll be fine. (After all, you really only sleep in your (clean) bed) Go for it - it's not that bad...."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of December 2005

"Just arrived back from resort 20/11/05. hOTEL WAS NOT FIVE STAR.Maybe three star would better describe it.Food was average but it was varied enough that you were not eating the same things each meal time.The resot was maybe a bit to large to run properly.The snorkling was superb but it was amazing how many ignorant Russians did not read the signs and walked on the reefs.The staff were pleasant enough tried to make your stay as pleasant as possible .Not enough seating in the main bars for the amount of guests.If i was to do it again i would book a top class hotel and do b+b orhalf board"

• Travel date: Fri 25th of November 2005

Brilliant Holiday... But us British seem to be too Fussy

"Just arrived back from the Pyramisa Sharm Resort.
I & my boyfriend both (25) went for a week AI for £380pp which i thought was a bargain. Since we'd never been AI inclusive i have my reservations, so like most we decided that 5* would be the best option as you are aiming to get the best possible food.

Yes i agree with most previous reviews that this is not english 5* but atleast 3/4*. I have stayed in some terrible 3* back here in England. Egyptian tourist board have rated this 5*. This hotel is MASSIVE. you are in the middle of the dessert remember & this is an up & comin tourist destination, so when arriving in the dark & travelling down some dirt track then down be worried because all of the hotels are like this so that they are all based along the coast line of the red sea.

This hotel is ideally located with just 10 mins from the airport & 15 mins from na'ama bay you have the best of both worlds.

when arriving at the hotel it was brightly lit with many bellboys waiting to take your luggage. from what happened in the summer security is very high & you have problems not to feel relaxed.

When entering the hotel you are greeted with a metal detector kind of thing. then the lobby area is vast. with waterfalls fake rock, chairs, tables with many people relaxing with an evening drink. At this point i was very happy with what we had booked. we arrived at about 5:30pm so it was dark we got showed to our room which was below the pool over looking the sea & gardens.

The weather was fantastic about 30+ degrees in the day & 22+ in the evening which seems to be ver a little cold because of the high heat in the day so make sure that you have a cardi or long sleeved jacket to wear in the evening whilst sitting around the pool bar in the evening.

There are 8 resturants, 3 swimming pools, wave machine & flume for kids. Entertainment on all day round the pool which caters for everyone. Kids loved it dancing with the amimation team.

I'd recommend the Bora Bora resturant & Tahiti as the best ones but we didn't get a change the smaple the chinese or russian resturant which you had to book a day in advance as they have a limited seats. We chose to eat out of the resturant in the evening 3 times that was because the football was on & we wanted a bit of a change but you could always eat before you ventured down to na'ama bay.. but be warned the alcohol is very expensive. but the food is dirt cheap. eating out in the Hard Rock Cafe was only £15 for 2 inc drinks.

Be careful when looking in some of the shops.. some cheeky egyptian wanted us to pay him money to look around his shop but he told us this when we wanted to leave empty handed. Stand your ground & walk out. others want you to sign there guest books but thi sis just an excuse to get you to spend money. This is a third world country & they want your money. Yes my boyfriend could have sold me 10 times over for many camels.. but i think they use that as a standing joke over there along with lovely jubbly and which football team you support.

we did one trip whislt we were there but ther are lots you can do we were just lazy & wanted to relax. but i recommend quad biking in the dessert it was fantastic. well worth £20 each for 3 hours. you leave at sunset & return in the dark.. Brillant..

all in all we had a good holiday. Everyone we spoke to was having a good time too. we managed to meet a couple that we spend most of our time with. I think a holiday is what you make it. if you go with negative thoughts then it stays that way."

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of November 2005

Not a 5*, but not bad all the same

"First things first, the Pyramisa is rated 5* by the Egyptian Tourist Board, not by UK standards. I'd say that it equated to a good 3* by european standards.

The hotel itself is large, and caters to a number of nationalities, mainly English, German, and Russian. The lobby looks like a Bond villains' lair - palm trees, faux rocks and a waterfall, a piano bar, and a great expanse of glass that gives quite a nice view of the sunset. The hotel site is pretty big, and we had a fair walk from our room to the main body of the hotel (up 137 steps, in fact).

Of the restaurants, we ate mainly in Bora Bora, although Tahiti was preferable for breakfast. Food is mainly relatively bland european so as not to offend any of the guests sensibilities, although there are a number of themed a la carte restaurants that you need to book for. We tried Tai Pan, which provided tasty but unremarkable oriental fare. Neither of us suffered any food-related ill effects at all during our stay.

One let-down on the all-inclusive side was the drinks. Local drinks are included, but everything is served in either small plastic cups at the pool/beach bars or glasses at the lobby bar - ask for 2 of whatever you intend to drink as 1 will hardly wet your throat. Avoid the white wine although the red is ok, and their special cocktail list is a bit of a lottery - some are palateable, but some will turn your face inside-out.

Our room was clean and well maintained, with a king-size bed and a minin fridge (devoid of the 2 beers mentioned elsewhere, but we really didn't want to drink in the room anyway as the bar at beach 3 was close by).

Beach 1 is sandy and more lively, but I can thoroughly recommend Beach 3 if you want a little peace and quiet, and the massages are well worth it - for £20 the excellent and friendly masseur nearly broke himself trying to work out the tension in my back!

There's some very pleasant snorkelling to be enjoyed just off the hotel beaches, with a reef running from beach 1 to beach 3 and beyond, and I would thoroughly recommend that any medhotels clients try the Almira III baot trip - a relaxing day with very fine snorkelling and a lovely lunch.

All in all, we had an enjoyable week at the Pyramisa. Don't expect to be in the absolute lap of luxury with every convenience to hand, but you will find the staff friendly and helpful, the rooms adequately appointed, and the weather superb."

• Travel date: Tue 15th of November 2005

better than other reports sugested.

"Having read other reports on this hotel before we went we were very worried, well we should'nt of been.
We had a most billiant week, yes it is not a 5* english hotel more a 3+ or 4*, i wish people would remenber that.
The room(or should i say villa) was great it had 2 bathrooms, dinning room, living room and looking straight out to sea.
The staff were very good, a little tip goes a long way (take a bag of 50p) it helps a lot.
The med holiday's rep was very good at his job.
The food was quite good, the pizza's were very good, the bbq good, no bacon though. You will never go hungry here. If you want good old english food stay in England.
we were in a party of 7 and NONE of us suffered with bad bellies.
Any one booked to go to this hotel should not worry i have been to a lot lot lot worse, go and enjoy."

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of November 2005

filthy cockroach ridden

"We were put up there as our flight was cancelled. We changed room 4 times, and each was filthy, and full of cockroaches. You would not trust the food there as the whole place was unhygenic."

• Travel date: Mon 4th of June 2012

my how low can the sink

"This hotel is the worst i have ever been in and I've been in some.

Everywhere is discusting, the rooms, the beds, the bathrooms, the restruants, the Kitchens (and yes I did visit them) the pool(s)

It appears to have gone down hill since i moved on and that is saying a lot. How they ever get ANY bookings is a miricale. People will never learn, all you need to do is check the peoples views, count the good and then the BAD and that should proove something to you , if not you are dumb.....putting it mildly."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of April 2012

Hotels near Dessole Pyramisa Sharm El Sheikh Resort

Stayed at Dessole Pyramisa Sharm El Sheikh Resort? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Dessole Pyramisa Sharm El Sheikh Resort

• stacierejah by stacierejah

"Snorkling and St Cathrines Monastary "

• shallwegiveup by shallwegiveup

"DON'T GO THERE in the first place "

Dessole Pyramisa Sharm El Sheikh Resort is also called