Cleopatra Tsokkos Richy Hotel

Om El Sid Hill, Sharm El Sheikh 46619 Egypt

Good

Must have gone to a different hotel than me!

Good

"My friend and I have just returned from Cleopatra Tsokkos Hotel, Sharm-e--Sheikh. We had a birlliant time! The Staff were so very helpful and nothing was too much trouble even
though most the staff had been working around the clock for peanuts!! I cannot believe some of the Reviews written about this Hotel and think that people have nothing else in their lives to worry about!!!!! This Hotel should definately be a 3 or 4 Star. Sharm-El-Sheikh is a beautiful place and we do hope to return to the Cleopatra again this year.

Kaye Lewis (Caerphilly)"

• Travel date: Thu 20th of April 2006

Average hotel

Good

"We have just returned from seven nights at the Cleopatra. After reading the reviews I was prepared for the worst. I must say the pool area, bar and restaurant are fantastic but the rooms left a lot to be desired. We had cold showers three nights out of the seven, not pleasant after spending an entire day in Cairo and trying to have a nice warm shower at 11pm at night after leaving the hotel at 5.20am. A fuse blew twice in our room leaving us with only one light in the whole room and no air conditioning. This was fixed but was rather annoying. The bar service was good but you need to be paitent, they only ever have one guy serving drinks at the bar, three or so more hang around writing up bills or drying glasses but never assist even when busy. The buffet breakfast is amazing with an omelete chef on hand to cook you a fresh omelete which was nice. We were both sick with dodgy stomachs even though we drank bottled water but you can't avoid it in the salads and ice cubes. When you are spending seven days at a resort you expect a little luxury but we certainly didn't get that. On the whole it was ok but I would definitely book somewhere in Naama Bay on the beach and pay the extra, well worth it."

• Travel date: Wed 19th of April 2006

Disgusting Hotel -do not stay here

"The Hotel was the worst I have ever stayed in in 30 years of travel worldwide -It was sold as a 4 star & would not deserve one star.
I know you get what you pay for but you should be able to expect certain standards of cleanliness & service - the Cleopatra provided neither.
Apart from breakfast the food was disgusting & usually served cold. The outside eating areas swarmed with flies & cats roamed freely round the dining tables
The drinks were usually warm & often you had to wait 20-30 minutes to get served & then got the wrong drinks.
The rooms were small & very dated & we got bitten by fleas on the first night
The bathroom stank of sewage the whole of the time.Brown water came out of the taps for the first 20 minutes, the water was often cold & for 3 days we had no water at all most of the day.
Many people suffered from sickness & diarrhoea after eating the food. My husband was so ill from the first day, he was in bed for four days.
I got an eye & ear infection from the pool & although I have been back a week am still taking antibiotics
The Pharmacy next door ran out of tablets. They told us this was because so many people were becoming ill staying at the Cleopatra.
The sunbeds were dirty & often broken.
The Reception staff were rude & unhelpful if you complained & several times I overheard people complaining they were being charged for drink they had not bought
The pathways were dangerous with many broken tiles & there was constant building work going on
These are not small things I am being picky about but serious complaints
We eventually moved hotels along with 12 other people
I would not stay at this hotel again if it was offered free - I value my health too much & would not advise anyone to stay there no matter what prce it was offered at.
Think carefully before booking, this hotel really is disgusting.We have put in an official complaint along with many other people."

• Travel date: Sat 15th of April 2006

Ignore The Negative Reviews! Read This!

Good

"Firstly, I read the below reviews and this gave me a negative outlook before I'd even arrived - and I was totally turned around - not an easy task!

Now I'm not saying the bad reviews are incorrect, its just some people can let tiny aspects ruin their holiday, we just wanted sun an piece at an affordable price, and we got it!

The hotel is a good size, not a maze of rooms or corridors, and the staff ARE friendly; at 4am the receptionist opened the pharmacy for me for painkillers (sun-induced illness!) The cleaners ALWAYS say hello and best wishes in the mornings. The waiters are smart and polite, despite some being there all hours of the day.

As long as you forget the countrys' driving standards, the hotel taxis are brilliant, always on-time and very low fares - compared to the UK!

Having a room card to show at the bar/restaurant is a good idea, if I'd paid cash everytime, I'd be tipping left right and centre - plus who wants to keep money in your swimming trunks?

The towel-card idea is fair, their towels are HUGE, and I'm this just stops the odd tourist from taking them.

My girlfriend and I relaxed; soaked up the amazing sun, and were sorry to say goodbye to the staff. If you're going - enjoy it, the activities in the area are world-class; we did Camel Riding and Snorkelling and will treasure the memories always.

Look beyond the minor quibbles - smallish rooms, and cold pool (but perfectly clean) - and have a good time. For the price we paid it was certainly a bargain.

One more thing... i've seen some shocking reviews and pics, these are from last year, and clearly the place has come on leaps and bounds since then - infact, feel free to ask me any questions directly -> [email protected]"

• Travel date: Thu 13th of April 2006

Egyptian Concentration Camp

"Although the hotel was clean , it had building work going on , consisting of men hammering masonry from 8am . You cannot swim in the pool until after breakfast - time , once they have finished cleaning it , so an early morning dip is out of the question . There were so many rules to be obeyed : you must show a card before they will allow you in to eat . If you fancy taking an orange back to eat later on , it will be confiscated at the door : " haven't you read the notice saying no food/drink to be taken out of the dining room ? " On entering the hotel , it's the same - any food/drink is taken away from you . The staff mostly could not care less , but then the pay is only about £15 a month ! The final straw for me was on checking out and being asked for the towel card which I had lost , not realising even that it was tucked into the room card : we had to pay for their loss , as they would not release our suitcases unless we did . But it was the under - manager's attitude towards me , ranting on about it being so bad that I had lost his property and was refusing to pay for it : if I had lost the towel itself or the room key , then I could understand having to pay , but a laminated bit of paper ? I left the place in tears , never having ever been spoken to in such a fashion . Sharm is lovely , full of helpful , smiling people , but The Cleopatra is a CONCENTRATION CAMP!!!!!"

• Travel date: Wed 29th of March 2006

Do Not Book This Hotel Even If You Are Going Cheap !!

"Well I'll try and touch the surface ... I read reports of this hotel after booking it and prior to leaving but 'On The Beach' wouldn't let me upgrade. Shame as Sharm itself seems ok if you stay in the town and avoid the dreaded taxis (more of later !).
Problems with hotel that I can remember immediately (I am not well and am still recovering from food poisoning a week after coming back from Egypt) room security was dire - lock on patio door knackered. Toilet absolutely stank all week. Had to get someone to sort out the bath as it wouldn't drain out. No hot water all week. Some days no water at all. Bathroom condition can only be described as appalling.
Rude Check-in desk staff, Manager has an attitude where he will try to screw every last bit of money out of you he can. You can't even bring your own bottled water into the hotel - you have to buy at the bar at inflated prices. German towel policy on the sunbeds run by the hotel 'Gestapo'.
If you go to Naama bay, on returning try and use the hotel bus - I took an unmarked taxi and the driver took me out into the desert but after a struggle I managed to get out of the car unhurt I have heard this happen to other people as well so be aware. Cabbies will always try to rip you off as well especially from the airport - pay no more that 100 pounds egyptian to Cleopatra. You always get the 'no change' reply or get shortchanged as well.
Be prepared for the barrage of heckling at Naama Bay or old Sharm,it becomes very wearying in the end.
Best bits :- Day trip to cairo by air, quad bike trip, snorkelling trip to Ras Mohammed.
In short I think I would have had a completely different experience had I not booked this hotel but gone for one of the ones on the front in Naama Bay. Virtually everyone I spoke to in the Hotel had the same opinion, don't book here no matter how low a budget you have you wouldn't get me going there even if you paid me my health is too important for that."

• Travel date: Fri 24th of March 2006

Cleopatra is more elogant as a mummy who's been dead for over 2500 years

"As you may have already guessed, I was not all that impressed with the Hotel Cleopatra. I was sold the hotel as a 4* B&B and upon inspection of their website, was taken in by the idea that it would live up to certain expectations. Now, I'm not sure who they had to pay to get the extra 4*'s because 4* it is not. I have stayed in youth hostels with more elegance than this place. In fact, I know some homeless people who would turn their noses up at this place given the choice of a piece of cardboard in a cold, windy doorway in London.

I had read reviews on the hotel prior to going and thought I would be prepared to be friendly and nice to the staff so as to get an equal treatment. My booking was for a room sleeping 2/3 with a garden or pool view. I was travelling with a friend and had another friend come to stay with us for 4 nights. Upon checking in, we infomed the desk clerk that we had another friend staying, who was more than prepared to pay his way for the extra bed. The room only had 2 single beds and barely enough room for a third, so I felt a little agrieved at the booking. As for my garden or pool view, my ground floor room had the most fantastic view of a wall, which if you looked carefully through, backed onto an arid patch of land the size of central park. So in awe of the stunning view, I honestly don't know how I didn't spend the whole holiday fixated with the wall.

I digress a bit. Back to the situation with the extra bed. After seeing the room and the logistical nightmare it presented in fitting 3 beds into the small space provided, we asked very politely for a bigger room. The audicity of my friends and I, asking for something that equaled the room represented on my booking was not taken to heart and we were told that there were no other rooms available in the hotel and we'd have to make a plan. Thank goodness I paid attention in nursery school when we were learning how to fit shapes through their holes, because after some head scratching by their member of staff, armed with the kind of cot bed those homeless people I referred to earlier would turn their noses to, I had rearranged the room to accomodate us all. The "cot" bed was made, rocking, buckled frame, 2 matresses and sheets made for a bed half the size.

I'm not sure if its me and my friends, but when I go away, have travelled hundreds of miles to get somewhere, and have paid for the privilege of being on holiday, I would like to be in a nice surrounding, have a comfortable bed, a t.v. that works and a decent view.

I don't want this review to be all doom and gloom, so I will say this; my friends and I did not spend a huge amount of time in the hotel. We slept their and fought with our sheets all night (sleep in one of their beds and you'll understand). Our room was nice and quiet and we were left in piece most days, when they were not ringing demanding payment from my friend for each extra night he was staying. I can appreciate that they may have been burnt a few times by other guests, but we are good honest people and were more than happy to pay, so the constant badgering morning was not appreciated.

To summarise, the Hotel Cleopatra is by no stretch of the imagination, a 4* hotel. Whoever rated this hotel, must have done so back in the 70's when it was built and they've just not revisited it to re-rate it. Their website is no representation of the hotel itself and should carry a warning that says, "the hotel bares some resemblance to the images shown on this site." Its amazing what you can do with Photoshop and visions of grandure. The staff have their moments depending on which ones you speak to. There is also a "no bringing food or drink from the outside world" policy in operation. If you are still unclear about what this is, it means that if you want to go out and buy some fruit juice, snacks or water for your room, think twice. They will not let you bring it into the hotel. We were informed of this when we got caught in action and we were shown the sign, displaying this ridiculous rule. To get around this just make sure you put your shopping in a rucksack and walk in casually. Hide thing in your room, cos the staff will remove it from your room. Also, try and tip the cleaners, they will do amazing things with your hand towels. We got a swan with flower petals scattered around its plumage. A real kodak moment.

I wish you all a good trip to Na'ama bay. If you are going to dive, check out the Sinai Dive Club (---). Very friendly staff and they are very reasonable compared to the other competition. If you want to splash a bit of cash on a nice meal, try Little Buddha opposite the Hard Rock cafe. It's just an amazing restauant and the sushi is out of this world. Better than I've had anywhere else in the world.

If you want anymore information on being streetwise with taxi drivers and excursion people, I am more than happy to write you back.

Shukram."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of March 2006

Missing it always

Good

"I loved the cleopatra so much I eventually returned to work at the hotel.
the staff are friendly and incredibly helpful and I'd return with a seconds notice.

Ok so I don't work there anymore but everyone has to return to reality at some point.

The hotel is at the cheaper end of the Egyptian market so you have to expect a smaller budget for your stay. the rooms are small (but not too small, I lived in mine with my entire wardrobe quite comfortably) the food is wonderful (including the full board option, although I should warn you that local alcohol is included but foul) the staff are the best thing about this place by far, always ready for a giggle but understand enough of western culture to understand boundaries (something which isn't apparant in alot of the other local hotels)

Don't know what else to say!! If you're looking for a cheapy but sunny this is the place you are after."

• Travel date: Tue 21st of March 2006

not 5 star hotel but wasnt expecting it to be anyway.

Good

"after reading other reviews on this hotel we was a bit nervous about staying there but i dont know why we worried, the staff where brillant and couldnt do enough for you, food was ok although we was only b & b as we like to eat out. the room where basic but clean and tidy. we had no noise in our room from the disco. we went with thomson and our rep was called mike and first class bloke, wish him luck in majorca this summer."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of March 2006

fantastic exellent brilliant loved it!!

"well what can i say... totally fantastic the best two weeks of my life so far! met some brilliant people staff and people staying at the hotel! the entertainment team were fantastic alex and oscar and sam are sure to make u smile!! the management were always happy to help and the reception staff. the taxis at the hotel were good reliable and cheap and bob always made us laugh! nice room good view good weather good food! what more do u want! definitely going back this year and next! dont listen to the bad comments they are untrue i can not falter even one thing about the hotel! try it and see x"

• Travel date: Fri 10th of March 2006

Sham el Sheikh

"I spent my honeymoon there and didn't leave the room much at all. Not for the right reasons. Day 1, room disgusting. single beds (really)? Day 2: food poisening. this went on for the whole 2 weeks.I had to sit down for a wee becuase I dare not stand up. My wife and I spent £300 plus for tablets and I ended up on antibiotics. Food primative although they tried. I would not recomend this hotel (hostel) to my ex wife. I booked through media travel. Never again. they do not wish to know. The mice were an added extra. I did not pay for pets so I was surprised to see them in the room, altough cute they did get a little annoying. In short STAY AWAY."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of September 2010

Extremely Rate This Hotel!!!

"This hotel is definitely one to stay at. Before we went away we read the reviews on here and they were extremely poor. These reviews we definitely not true as the hotel is fantastic and very clean. The staff were amazing and could not do enough for you including serving drinks to your sun loungers. The food was also fab and they put alot of effort into their preparations. I will definitely be going back to this hotel as everyone there made you feel so welcome and friendly. I will be staying in contact with the staff and class them to be very good friends."

• Travel date: Tue 6th of April 2010

Hotels near Cleopatra Tsokkos Richy Hotel

Stayed at Cleopatra Tsokkos Richy Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Cleopatra Tsokkos Richy Hotel

• rjcrecordplayer by rjcrecordplayer

"Ignore the demands for money and go for the highest * "

• rjcrecordplayer by rjcrecordplayer

"snorkelling good but go somewhere quiet "

• uk guy by uk guy

"hard rock cafe, cairo museum "

• royally by royally

"Night time at Naarma Bay is fun along with the desert trips "

Cleopatra Tsokkos Richy Hotel is also called