On reading the comments on this site I f...

Reviewed Mon 16th of July 2007

"On reading the comments on this site I felt that I had to put my comments on, as I can't believe that people are talking about the same hotel as we stayed in.

The Sol Sharm was great - the staff are absolutely brilliant and cannot do enough for you.

The entertainments team were fantastic - yes some of the shows were not first class but come on, at the end of the day they are a group of guys who are doing their best to please a lot of people - they are not fully trained entertainers if those are the sort of shows you want - go on a Cruise Ship!

The food wasn't Michelin Star standard but at the end of the day you get what you pay for. All food that we ate was totally edible and there was also a good choice and if you can't find anything eat the pasta that is freshly cooked in front of you. The salads are ok to eat as everything is washed in bottled water.

Yes I had a slight stomach upset for 1 day but at the end of the day you get that on most holidays - if you do suffer don't bother taking English medication it doesn't work - get yourself down to the pharmacy at the Baron Hotel and they will give you tablets - they worked within hours on me and I was fine from that point.

The cleanliness of the Hotel, rooms, and surrounding areas is fantastic and if there is a spillage by the pool someone will be there within seconds to mop it up.

I hope my comments make up for some of the negative ones on this site, we only returned on the 28th June and am looking to go back in October and also to go back next June and meet all the friends that we made this year - Can't wait!!"

• Travel date: Mon 16th of July 2007

Our hearts sank when we first arrived; t...

Reviewed Wed 20th of June 2007

"Our hearts sank when we first arrived; the whole area is a giant building site. All worries evaporated when we arrived at our hotel.

The accommodation was beautiful, comfortable, and spotless. The staff were all exceptional, helpful, and friendly. At no time were we made to feel tips were expected though we were more than happy with the service to pass on a few £1 coins.

It was very humbling how well they all spoke English and I’ve resolved to have a few words of Arabic before I go back.

We were all inclusive and the food was fab, long serving times and wide range of dishes with chefs cooking up fresh omelettes and pasta for the less adventurous. Am surprised at previous comments re 'watered down' beer, the local beer and even the wines on offer were totally acceptable.

The hotel is a wee way from the lights of Naama bay but the hotel transport is reliable and staff are happy to organise taxis- although a ride in one is an adventure in itself!!

The entertainment team were bit on cheesy side and we only went to one of the shows they put on, preferring to spend our evenings by the pool bar. They were very good at entertaining the children round the pool during the day however.

If you’re looking for plenty to do and a party resort then a hotel closer to Naama bay may be better for you. My pal and I were looking for a holiday of sun and relaxation and that’s exactly what we got.

We would go back in a heartbeat, and are planning a return before Christmas.

Big thanks to all hotel staff."

• Travel date: Wed 20th of June 2007

We’ve just come back from a great holi...

Reviewed Mon 18th of June 2007

"We’ve just come back from a great holiday! It’s a great place absolutely fantastic!

We only went for a week but wish it was longer. All the staff were helpful and kind. And always smiling!

The animation team were great set off lads! Had a good laugh!

Definitely recommended it! Going back again in Feb."

• Travel date: Mon 18th of June 2007

Hi All. We have just returned from havi...

Reviewed Mon 14th of May 2007

"Hi All.

We have just returned from having a fantastic time at the Sol Sharm, this is the third time we have visited the hotel and it just gets better every time.

The staff are friendly, the rooms are clean and very well kept and anything you ask for is no problem to them.

The Animation team are excellent and provide us with different entertainment every evening and round the pool and also on the beach. The beach is a 5 minute walk away or you can get the shuttle bus which leaves the hotel every so often.

We have been so often now we feel like Egypt is our second home and on arrival at the airport we were greeted by 2 members of the Animation team, who had been sent to pick us up and take us to the hotel. Thus saving on fighting for a good price in the awaiting taxi's at the airport.

We are going back again in Nov/Dec this year as we cannot keep away! A good time is always had, very much recommended.

The Oo Oo girls!!"

• Travel date: Mon 14th of May 2007

Pay a little extra

Reviewed Mon 22nd of October 2012

"We stayed at Sol Sharm in December 06 looking for relaxing winter sun and it certainly DID NOT deliver. We were lucky and got a room by the small pirates pool and therefore spent most of our time there, this managed to keep us away from a bunch of 40 something ladies on the lash. The evening entertainment was poor and lacked any imagination and the selection of all inclusive food and drink was a joke. We have just returned from a 5* ultra all inclusive in Dom Rep and the extra pennies spent certainly count.
I would like to go back to Egypt as the country has a lot to offer but staying a lot closer to one of the market towns would be a must instead of being captive in a generally poor resort"

• Travel date: Mon 26th of March 2007

beware of staff at sol sharm

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"stayed at this hotel 3 times in past few months.

very clean hotel, cant fault the cleaners of rooms they are excellent.

mustafa on reception also cant do enough for you, very nice man, if you have problem he will do his best to help you.

restaurants are rubbish, food is disgusting, and like other reviews have said, unless the staff in the restaurants fancy there chances with you the service you get will be non existent.

i have first hand experience of the restaurant manager ahmed, dont fall for his charms, he has many women every week as do most of the staff at this hotel. If they can fleece you they will and most here do to subsidise there low wages. Most of the staff are married with wives elsewhere in egypt but that doesnt stop them chasing the guests . you have been warned.

would not stay at this hotel again as most english guests are second class citizens. They prefer russians. !!!!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 12th of March 2007

Relaxing break

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"We have just returned from a weeks stay at Sol Sharm.
We had read some reviews before we left and were wary of the many negative comments.
We found the hotel to be very clean, friendly and efficient. The food was very adequate for a buffet service with some varieties every day along side the staple dishes.
The bars were adequate. The staff in the restaurants, bars and housekeeping were friendly and helpful at all times.
The pool was cold but was warming up by the end of our stay. The sea was close by and the bus service fast and regular.
We would recommend a weeks break at this complex."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of February 2007

Good holiday ...shame about the icecream!

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"We returned from holiday at Sol Sharm yesterday and I find these reviews really helpful when I am booking a holiday so I wanted to write down our experience while it is fresh in my mind!

As others have mentioned the hotel itself was very nice and quite clean (the bathroom was a little worn). Staff were very friendly when we arrived and made us feel welcome. This was the first time I have been to Egypt and I had travelled alone with my son so this made me fell comfortable.

We ate in the main restaurant for all of our 3 meals a day because the All Inclusive options were confusing and served all over the place (which we never really got to grips with!). The food was really nice although the choices were very similar at each meal which would become repetitive if you were there for 2 weeks. I have been AI before and there has always been access to icecream or ice lollies for children throughout the day. This was not the case and it was a special event when icecream was served one night in the restaurant!! I believe if AI is offered then you pay for this prior to your visit and should not be treated differently because you decide to pay up front. The majority of people are reasonable and do not over indulge.

The pool was absolutely freezing for the duration of our holiday but was a welcome relief at times from the glorious weather we had.
The biggest complaint I have is that there was absolutely no entertainment for children. The Animation team were very happy to entertain the young girls around the pool but did not provide anything for the children. The Solmelia website states ""Extensive daytime entertainment programme, including nautical club, aerobics, archery, etc. Childrens club" etc etc which is obviously not true.
I found some staff were exceptionally friendly and good at their job....in particular Ahmed who served in the Sinai Bar, which was just as well because some of the restaurant staff were not! They appeared surly and only interested in the people who were not All Inclusive. I get the impression that if we had tipped everyone all of the time we would have been treated differently. This might be worth your while if you want good service all round!

As an AI guest I definitely felt like a second rate citizen at this hotel. I would not go back for this reason, although I would definitely go back to Egypt!"

• Travel date: Mon 26th of February 2007

Had a fabulous time at the Sol Sharm. Th...

Reviewed Thu 22nd of February 2007

"Had a fabulous time at the Sol Sharm. The hotel is 4* but the staff can't do enough for you and are so pleasant, it was a 5* by other hotel standards.

The hotel was always so clean; the restaurants always served fresh food made in front of you for example, the pasta in the Italian corner.

The entertainment staff were what made the holiday for me and my boyfriend they were so good. I've never seen anything like it before. Every night they did a show 1000-1200, always something different.

For example one night they were walking on glass whilst holding up members of the audience, the next they are a drag show!

We had such an enjoyable time that we are going to go back in May!

The weather for me was perfect because it was really hot but there was a breeze so it’s manageable.

I would recommend quad biking to anyone that goes to Sharm, we went Valentines Day and it was spectacular to watch the sun set whist in the dessert, magical!"

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of February 2007

Fab winter sun

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"Recently returned from a week long holiday at Sol Sharm with my sister in law. It was my first visit to Egypt. I was aprehensive about the holiday..... being that it was my first time out of Europe. I had a really good time. The people in Egypt were lovely and very friendly... always willing to help where ever they could. I would definitely go back to Sharm El Sheik and Sol Sharm. It was fab for a week long winter break in the sun.

The hotel was very clean.... the hotel staff were very friendly. We stayed All Inclusive... which was my first time on AI. (although my sister in law has been AI lots of times). Being my first time, i didnt really know what to expect... and only had the reviews i had read to go by. I didnt have a problem with any of the AI set up at the Sol Sharm. The AI bar is at a bar at the top of some steps and the bar itself is a bit bleak... but its ok.... They could do with making it a bit brighter and adding some suitable seating / tables. We didnt spend an awful lot of time in the bar...... (after having too much to drink one night .....lol). The barman, Ishmail, was very friendly... and chatty.

The restaurant was clean and there was always plenty of food.. help yourself. The food does get a bit repetitive after a while.... but it was still very good. Always a chicken, beef, fish, veg, rice and fresh pasta dishes....,. lots of desserts to chose from. Help yourself to AI drinks. The waiters are all very friendly and chatty. The chefs are also very nice.

The pool was (as stated in other reviews)... REALLY cold.... but im putting that down to it being February. It was too cold to go swimming in.... although some were brave enough to take the plunge. The adults pool is at one side of the hotel.. the childrens pool at the other side. We used to sunbathe around the childrens pool.... which had a large ship next to it.. so it was sheltered around this pool with few sun beds.. so was quite secluded too. We used to tip Rabir the pool attendant.. and he would put our cushions out every morning and save out beds for us.... which was really nice of him.

The team from the Health club... one of them called Alex, would come around and tempt you into booking massages... they were really good and reasonably priced.

The Animation team (entertainment)..... were again, very friendly.... They used to put on a show each night.... which was ok. We certainly didnt witness any hanky panky with any guests. (as stated in review below).

Namaa Bay was an experience. We didnt visit there long... but it was good to go and see the shops etc. We booked a taxi from the hotel... and it was fine... a safe car and a nice driver. the price was £5 each way. We arranged to be picked up at a certain time.. and he was there on the dot. Very reliable.

We went to the beach just once.. but it was really good. we went snorkelling off of the pier... the reef and fish was amazing... i loved it. The sea water was alot warmer than the pool and well worth giving it a go.

The chaps working in the hotel shops were great. We met Peepo (probably not spelt right). He was lovely., and we shared some Egyptian tea with him... and then he got us seats and showed us the BONGS... which we shared with him. He dressed us in the traditional Egyptian clothes....We sat in his shop for a couple of hours, where he talked about egyptian stories and customs etc. We didnt feel under any pressure from him to buy anything.... he was just friendly and enjoyed talking about his country and items in his shop (unlike one of the reviews below).

The room boy ..... Ahmed... was a quiet lad, but always very polite. We promised him a tip at the end of the holiday and he looked after us.... and made us decorations with our towels most days.... from a swan, mummy and a crocodile.

In summary,.... the hotel was lovely, the sea was lovely, the people were great. If you want a relaxing holiday.. quiet... just some winter sun... and get a good deal on your holiday price... its a lovely place to go.

If you would like any further info, or photos.. please dont hesitate to contact me at : [email protected]"

• Travel date: Fri 16th of February 2007

When we stayed at Sol Sharm, the hotel h...

Reviewed Mon 12th of February 2007

"When we stayed at Sol Sharm, the hotel had only been open for about 6 months.

The building itself was attractive and well designed and our room was a decent size and clean.

However, as two single females we were continually harassed by male hotel staff, our room was very close to the pool, which meant that we were constantly subjected to very loud Italian house music (day and night), and the food in the restaurant was dreadful.

We spent an awful lot of money on taxis getting in to Naama Bay every night to escape rude Italians and bad food.

We have since travelled to Sharm El Sheikh 4 more times and have discovered that hotel food is just not good anywhere here (including Luxor) and you are much better off going room only or B&B and eating out as the food (especially in Naama Bay and Old Sharm) is excellent and very well priced.

I would not stay at Sol Sharm again."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of February 2007

Chillout paradise

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"i have been going to the sol sharm for the past 3 years, where we meet up with a couple from our first visit,we found it to be an eye opener at the airport as it was our first time to egypt, when we got to our hotel the staff were very helpful when they bring your bags to your room, i cannot fault any of the lads around the pools including the lads down on the beach they cannot do enough for you, all for the sake of a pound tip now and again, the food was'nt up to much the first year we went but it is getting better as they are now catering for the English more as you have a lot of Italians and Russian.
We found the hotel spotlessley clean espcially the resturaunt where the staff are excellent helpful and friendly to which we still email and text one of the lads Mohsen which the wife took a shinning to. we found loads to do if we wanted Cairo snorkelling scuba diving valley of the kings are few to mention so when people say there is nothing to do in sharm they must live a very busy life, we are going to goa for our holiday this year but we are also going to return to sol sharm in June to see some old friends"

• Travel date: Tue 30th of January 2007

Hotels near Aurora Sharm Resort

Stayed at Aurora Sharm Resort? Share your insight.