Amwaj Oyoun Hotel & Resort

Nabq Bay Nabq Bay Sharm El Sheikh, Nabq Bay, Sharm El Sheikh 57 Egypt

Lovely relaxing holiday!!

"A very pleasant surprise after reading some of the reviews!!!

I stayed at the Millenium the 2nd week of December and i thoroughly enjoyed the stay from the moment i arrived; was met with a glass of bubbly and shown to a lovely clean, spacious, bright room overlooking the pool, beautiful gardens and a sea view.
The hotel was only a third full, if that, so it was very need to rush to get a sunbed!! saying that, the weather that week varied between 21 - 30 degrees, occasionally cloudy and windy at times.
The food was all fresh and edible - breakfast you had the option of fresh pastries / cheeses / fried breakfast / fresh omelettes / fresh fruit salad.....all covered or fresh out or on ice. Lunch - a varied buffet, so plenty of choice, as with the dinner.
The only downfall - do not bother with the italian resturant, as it is no different from the main resturant.
The bars, main one in the main resturant is mainly used. Pool bars are open all day and all the staff will walk around and get you anything if you are by the pool. Another bar opens at 10pm.
The health club / spa was excellent value and i highly recommend a treatment with either Nancy or Kamal as they are very professional, friendly individuals.
The hotel has a few shops in the foyer; but watch out as the shop owners are a bit letcherous!!!
The hotel has sunbeds and a bar on the beach; you can walk out into the shallow sea with shoes on, but if you want to swim you need to walk to the pontoon at the next hotel; while i was there you could not swim off tyhe pontoon as it had the red flag up as it was too windly out there and two lifeguards were sat at the end of the pontoon to ensure no-one went in the sea.
The rooms - great views, cleaned daily, you can order food and drink for your fridge, a good number of tv channels. My patio door would not lock but it was rectified within five minutes.
The staff were very friendly and helpful at all times; if you ever need anything they will sort it out straight away. I know that a small tip is always appreciated!!!!
The hotel is in Nabq bay about 10 minutes from the airport, so you can get a taxi for around 50 egyptian pounds (£5 english) from the not get ripped off by the taxi not pay over 70 egyptian pounds!!! you ahve been warned!!! i know someone who paid 3 times the price from the airport because they were not aware of the charges.
A regular bus runs into Naama Bay if you want to do shopping, get out of the hotel; i think it was£3 return which is cheap compared to getting a taxi.

Overall a very relaxing break and i would definitely return."

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of January 2008

Good hotel, poor food

"Visited Xmas week and was pleasantly surprised after reading some of the reviews here. The hotel was spotless, the room spacious with everything we needed and the staff without exception couldnt have been more friendly or helpful. The only downside was the poor food, breakfast just OK but would not recommend all inc. although we didnt manage to find any restaurants nearby which meant a 20 min taxi journey to Naama Bay for decent food - Hilton Farooz Seafood restaurant & Camel Bar in Sharm highly recommended."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of December 2007

This hotel was TERRIBLE!

"My husband could not come on this holiday so our 3 sons and I went anyway.
My younger son has a physical disability and uses a wheelchair.

On arrival at 11 pm I told staff we were thirsty and needed something small to eat
even cheese and bread. They were very rude and told us to use room service menu.
Did not bother as we had booked All Inclusive.

We had booked two rooms next to each other. It took hotel 2 days to get us rooms!
Hotel told us they were busy. We had booked rooms months ago as this was our
family holiday.

Our rooms overlooked the swimming pool but the back overlooked a building
site and rubbish lying around.

The layout of hotel was poor. There was no lift and lots of stairs everywhere.
Do not go to this hotel. Especially if you have children or disability.

The rooms had nice comfortable beds and clean linen. Fridge grotty.
Bathroom health hazard as plumbing all connected to sink, toilet and bath.
Sewage bubbled up drains and stank! Floors dirty! Electricity very dodgy too.
Sockets in room not working. Poor lighting. Air con good.

Food was cold and not up to our standard at all. Bread and pasta all we ate.
Pasta undercooked. No fresh juice, fruit bruised and rotten. Lots of tummy
problems. Do not eat salad or meat. Hygiene overall very poor. Dirty tables,
cutlery and cups etc.

Swimming Pool
There were 4 pools which at first glance looked nice but on closer inspection
were dirty. Childrens pool not too bad. Would not recommend use. No diet drinks!
Drink only bottled water. Cocktails rubbish.

We met some really nice english and dutch people who we had a good laugh with.
On last day went to Naama Bay – not that great but went as a group. Great to
Get out of hotel for a while. Naama Bay okay if you like tack and local men
all over you. Would not recommend for anyone wanting a relaxing hastle
free holiday as they are mostly money grabbing!

Saying all this we did have a good holiday but it is a shame we have to put
up with such poor facilities and treatment. Health and Safety would have this
hotel condemned!

Beware locals want any electricals, mobiles, kettles etc."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of November 2007

"Poor hotel,definetly not 5* with awful food and no service.
Rooms comfortable but basic with small bathrooms which are not particulary clean for the age of the hotel.
If you want to have a relaxing and pampered time this is not the place for you.
The beach is very good for Egypt with swallow waters.
Plane spotters paradise 20 / 30 go over the hotel every night and day at 3am etc which shakes the hotel.
Meal times are awful with 300 people in 1 place at the same time queuing around the room for very poor food,with rude and selfish Russians it makes meal times a treat .
It is reminiscent to a travel lodge with a outdated canteen for a resturant with the wooden cladding on the walls and gold light fittings with tacky lampshades very contemporary.
Would we go again definetly not..
Only been all inclusive once before but this was taking that meaning to the limits you may have done everything for yourself lots of staff wandering around but not trained to look after the customers."

• Travel date: Sat 27th of October 2007

there are better!!!

"We have just returned from this hotel and I must say it could have been better.The hotel its self is very nice with a great lagoon style pool,however if you are thinking of going there are a few things you need to know.Firstly the downsides.The food is really not up to the standard that you would expect from a hotel like this,believe me when I say that I am not a fussy eater,but by the end of the first week I was pretty sick of what was being served up and ended up eating the pasta at almost every meal.My daughter who can be a little fussy survived the entire two weeks on their version of soup with bread buns.The entertainment was a joke at best but then most all inclusives do struggle in this department.The bars also were a let down but only because of their opening hours,the pool bar could do with being open after six at night as the only other bars are a small one in the restaurant and the Soweto bar which did`nt open till ten.The hotel seems mainly to cater to people from Russia who are not keen to cue up with everyone else. Now the upside.The staff from bar boys to cleaners are extremely friendly and helpful,i`m affraid thats it.We did meet some great people out there and hope to keep in touch,stay cool Harris. Bottom line is that you can do much better in the same area for the same money."

• Travel date: Wed 24th of October 2007

Its the best

"We have just returned from a week in the millenium oyoun hotel and resort in sharm el sheikh. This the first time we have been to Egypt, but if this hotel is the norm, they are as good as new york or vegas. The only problem was my wife and I both got tummy upsets, but reading the reviews we expected this. The one thing that made an impression on us was the kindness and pofessionalism of one of the waiters. His name was Emad Abdallah . Emad served in both restaurants but give the Italian one a try and let him show you how important you are to the hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 21st of October 2007

absoute hell

"this hotel is trading as 5 star',but many advertised facilities are non existant.There are only 2 restaurants ,the buffet and italian. they are both appalling .The food was horrendous gristly meat barely warm veg ,pasta,rice and underdone pizza ;salad and sweets left on counters unchilled. So unless you want a holiday existing on soup and bread take heed. Also tables were never cleared and relaid when vacated so if you were to come later the place resembled a moscow soup kitchen.(yes,noisy Russians)Drinks were served in all sorts of glasses and plastic cups even away from the pool. Most staff were obviously untrained,one tried to give a guest a napkin to use as an ashtray. ANYWAY to sum up, rooms 4* food 1* staff 2* drinks 3* facilities 3* This is the most uninclusive all inclusive water was £1.20 bottle they did have water in dispensers but this was usually lukewarm .I have one piece of advice DON'T GO HERE"

• Travel date: Sun 14th of October 2007

fantastic holiday ay Millenium hotel and would go again!!

"Just returned from a fantastic week at the Millenium Hotel. I was staying with my mother who is in her 60's and I am in my 20's and we both really enjoyed our time here. All the staff, (porters,cleaners, beach towel boys,reception, bar and restaurant staff) were very helpful and very nice to us both and all spoke very good English. We had a lovely spacious room with pool view which was very clean and of high standard with air conditioning and fridge.
The hotel animation team were very good and put on some good shows and lots of activities to suit all tastes.
The food was very good with lots of choice and the Italian al a carte is worth a visit. Moataz the waiter in the Italian restaurant could not do enough to help and was a pleasure to meet.
The all inclusive was great apart from when they had a disco at the pool one evening you had to pay for the drinks that night or go and get them from the bar upstairs.
A 20 minute taxi ride to the busy Namma Bay was very reasonable and worth a visit.
The hotel has a lot of Russian and polish guests but the English were also made to feel very welcome..
I would without a doubt stay in this hotel again."

• Travel date: Thu 11th of October 2007

Serious Health Warning

"Absolutely awful. My childrens bathroom had raw sewage coming into the bath. Have photos but probably to obscene to show. Happened four times despite the Senior Engineer promising me it was fixed. Had episode of severe vomiting for 24 hours and all family got gut upset. As a Hospital Doctor I considerd the health hazard to be unacceptable and changed Hotels. You have been warned."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of August 2007

OMG This is the best hotel in Eygpt -

"This is the best hotel in Eygpt, I was there on honeymoon on the 12th august and stayed there for 7 nights, I have been to many 5 star hotels in london and can compare the Millenium Oyoun Hotel and Resort to back home. Its near Nabq bay about 10min away also it has a very nice international standard shopping centre with hassel free enviroment. it includes big names such as addias, timberland, la senza, levis and many more.

The hotel has a very nice 4 landscaped swimming pool, also you can see the private beach from the pool, the friendly staff are always there to help. there are no reviews of this hotel as it is quite new, but I am privleged to b the first person to be writing about such a hotel, thums up no dissapointment. trust me the rooma are buitiful and we had a sea and pool view rooms which is the best, but the gardens view is not bad as the garden is well looked aftered.

You really dont need to get out of the hotel much as there is enterintamnet fo rthe whole familly from belly dancing to disco, also the food is fantastic."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of August 2007

Fantastic Holiday - Great Hotel !!!

"I will get straight into why we loved this hotel:

It has three pools ...

The main pool is massive with an island, swim up pool bar, lots of free sunbeds with parasols, clean, main pool bar which serves food at lunch time and barbeque at night.

2nd pool - go out of main entrance and turn immediately left. This is an Aqua park which belongs to AA Amwaj but isn't at all busy. It has three great slides, very comfortable sunbeds and parasols, very clean and with lifeguard. Baby pool and toilets alongside.

3rd pool - this is the 'new pool' which is a lot quieter. Still a great size, clean and with very comfortable sunbeds and parasols. To find this pool, exiting the back of hotel turn left.

It has 4 many places to eat ...

The main dining hall - all meals

The Italian Restaurant - evening (included/free but needs to be booked at 10am on the day)

Barbeque by the pool - evening (included/free but needs to be booked at 10 am on the day)

Beach Bar/Restaurant - day & evening. A great lunch in lovely surroundings.

Poolside Bar - lunch for burgers, pizza and chips (very nice)

All restaurants have very friendly staff and are 100% clean and comfortable.

The room: We were in room 2151 ground floor. It was cleaned every day with clean towels. The cleaning man was excellent and honest. The room had a 20" TV with 8 English channels; fridge - a bottle of water was provided every day per person; hairdryer in the bathroom; safe at extra charge. The room was large with excellent aircon. Shampoo/shower cap/moisuriser/shower gel was also provided. (not many coat hangers)

Large Pool/Beach towels: These are included and can be changed daily if required.

Location: Excellent, with English sports bar to the left outside main gate. This is St George's Bar run by Pete and his family. We booked our excursions through Pete and he was much cheaper! Tiran Island boat trip £15 each for snorkling (£20 per dive if wanted). Ras Mohammad £20 boat trip each for snorkling. Although do check that equipment is included. Food and drink definitely included. Also we did quad bikes for £10 each - 2 hours. This was excellent and my 14 & 15 year old daughter loved it.

Tip: If you plan to go to Cairo you need a visa which is £13 from the airport when you arrive. Pete charges £40 for day trip to Cairo which is a very long day.

Also, the location of AA Amwaj is good for surrounding shops. I'm a single mum with 2 daughters and we felt safe going out of an evening around the shops. Our holiday was in July/Aug - very hot indeed, evenings too! MacDonalds 10 minute walk away - out of main entrance and turn right and cross the road.

Internet: Not in rooms but can connect in the African Bar opposite main reception.

Beach & Jetty: Many sunbeds and parasols on beach. Private beach for AA Amwaj only with bar, toilets, childs area, towels change and shop. A large beach a side of hotel. Excursion booking stall very expensive! The jetty is lovely with good snorkling off the end and lifeguard. With shaded area and seats half way down. The jetty is built over shallow water but the end is where there is a wall in the red sea so when you snorkel there is coral and many beautiful and large fish.

Staff: We found all staff to be very friendly.

Food: A wide choice. Great pastries. I liked the soup, pasta.

Dodgy tummy: The tomatoes are lovely, but I think they were washed in their water which made my tummy a little loose. I avoided the tomatoes after discovering this and was fine.

Entertainment: They have a great entertainment team, made up of the united nations - one guy is from Nottingham! The do water zumba; beach football; garden exercise like yoga/pilate type. Also evening entertainment which was very good on some nights.

The Gym: A little disappointing. If you plan to use then take trainers and gym clothes otherwise you will not be able to use. The sauna etc are an extra charge. Treatments & massage are quite expensive.

Exchange of currency: The best place is, outside main gate and across the road, a little to the right. Exchange rate in Egypt far far better than what Tesco gave!!!! Only take £20 quid in Egypt and get the rest changed up when you get there - honestly it's worth it!

We took crips and biscuits for flight home. Supermarket there not too great.

Overall we had a fantastic holiday and I would highly recommend AA Amwaj for many reasons. As I say, we went in July and it wasn't busy. Not many English - I would say about 20-25% only. Basically I can't fault this accommodation."

• Travel date: Mon 6th of August 2012

Do not go here!

"There is no way this is a 5 star hotel, 2/3 star at best.

Staff -
The bar staff were very good. The animation team worked really hard and were always really friendly.

Food -
The buffet restaurant was disgusting, the Italian was ok not up to UK restaurant standards, didn’t try the other two as we heard bad reports while we were there.
On the second day I fell ill with a stomach bug and didn’t fully recover until I returned home to the UK. I wasn’t the only one, we spoke to a lot of couples and in each couple at least one sometimes two of them had the same complaints. The pharmacist at the hotel charges £30 per time for courses of tablets, judging by how many people were ill he must make a fortune!

Drink –
All alcohol tasted the same and was very weak, even though it is a Muslim country they should be catering for UK tourists.

Misunderstanding –
On the last night of our holiday the owners son thought a comment my partner had made was directed at him, however it was a joke amongst us and our 2 friends which had nothing to do with the child whatsoever. The little boy then proceeded to tell his body guards and threatened to get us kicked out of ‘his hotel’. This situation got out of control as the boy continued to make up stories. We explained what had actually happened and as it was clear the boy was lying we were told by a couple of the staff that they believed us however they couldn’t do anything about it as it involved the owner’s son. We felt very threatened and didn’t feel safe staying in the hotel for our last night as the management followed us in groups around the complex for the rest of the night. It is unbelievable how a little boy can get away with telling lies which resulted in us being treated like criminals! I do not expect to spend money to go on holiday and get treated like this. Stay clear of this spoilt child when playing pool, table tennis etc.

This was our first time in Egypt but we spoke to others in the hotel that had been to Egypt many times before and they all said the Amwaj was the worst hotel they had stayed in.

• Travel date: Thu 5th of July 2012

Hotels near Amwaj Oyoun Hotel & Resort

Stayed at Amwaj Oyoun Hotel & Resort? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Amwaj Oyoun Hotel & Resort

• TheCampbells by TheCampbells

"Book excursions through Pete at St George's Bar which is found to the left just outside main gate into AA Amwaj "

Amwaj Oyoun Hotel & Resort is also called