I did it! I got back!

Reviewed Wed 18th of July 2012

"I managed to get back to this Hotel by booking separately through Thomson for the flight and Hotels4U (ironically Thomas Cook who used to go there as a package and cancelled Marsa Alam as an airport they land at)and it was amazing and I loved it. The new side is fantastic, it now has fancier food, even better service, and the manager and his staff were utterly amazing. I have already booked to go again in November and again in May 2013. There is no point going anywhere else when you can go to your second home and feel really cared for and appreciated."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of July 2012

Lovely hotel

Reviewed Mon 5th of July 2010

"A lovely place,great infrastructure, beautiful garden. The service is very good and the food is just excellent.

• Travel date: Sat 26th of June 2010

How can I get back _ can anyone help?

Reviewed Thu 11th of February 2010

"I have been to this resort 4 times and loved it. I came back on the last Thomas Cook flight on 30th November and am devastated that I can't find it to book again. The last thing I did before I left was swim with wild dolphins off the jetty and I have never had a bad holiday there. Your holiday is what you make it - your response to the staff, your attitude to what is important (and that is not that they don't use Mr Muscle to clean like we do) - and the people that you meet when you are there. Fox and the horses are fantastic as are Mansoor and Hany and all the others who made my birthday last year the most amazing thing even signing a birthday card for me. I am really peed off that Thomas Cook aren't going, and that no-one else has picked it up, but I will get there again - I have a tree to check out with my name on it!! Even 5 hours cattle class with Thomas Cook is worth putting up with. Would I recommend it? Yes. Have done - took our oldest friends with us. My sone has been and 3 of his 4 sisters, one twice and the other 3 times so it can't be all that bad. We actually have had a tiny bit of rain each time we have been there. April/May and November seem to be the time. It rained rally heavily for an hour on 26th November and I have never seen people work so hard to make it safe and clean again. Love them all. Thanks for 4 amazing holidays guys and I hope I will get out to see you again. "

• Travel date: Wed 10th of February 2010

Dont Go

Reviewed Mon 8th of June 2009

"4 star? not a chance, more like 2 star. Looks very impressive at first but then after a couple of days you start to see they have no attention to detail. Tiles still missing in one of the swimming pools, be careful around the pool areas they can be very slippy when wet, then be careful when walking on the paths around the resort as they are very uneven. We went all inc, food ok but nothing fantastic (you have to pay for ice cream 2 euro) all drinks served in small glasses so frequent trips to the bar. If you like a sauna that will be 5euro, massage about 25euro, Internet 6 or 7 or 10euro per hr depending who you ask, Tea or coffee in your room? only if you pay for it. Not all entertainment is included so you have to pay again. Remember to save your bottles of water so you can fill them at the water dispensers or you will have to pay for bottled water. As luck would have it we did not pay to much for this holiday, Go and spend your money on another hotel not this one, we will go back to Egypt but not The Tulip Resort. If you need to ask anything please do [email protected] not on line often but will return your email asap"

• Travel date: Fri 5th of June 2009

relaxing holiday

Reviewed Thu 5th of March 2009

"We have just returned from a week's break at the Tulip Resort at Marsa Alam and found it lovely. The complex is spotless, rooms are very spacious,fridge in the room,free beach towels every day.The food was great, plenty of choice. We were a little worried about the food after reading some reviews on here. All I can say is you're not very adventurous and you want chips, go to Tenerife or Benidorm! There was so much choice, breakfast was great, chefs cooking any omelette of your choice.The desserts were a bit bland,but there's plenty of fresh fruit to choose from.
We didn't go on any trips but I heard Luxor was approx £100 each, coach trip took about 7 hours, but the rep told them it was 4!One good way of selling trips!But well worth seeing if you're into that sort of thing. One of the pool's was being re-tiled whilst we were there, but we were aware of this as our tour operator advised us by phone before our departure which I thought was decent of them. So, the pool should be finished now if you're planning a trip there. The complex is in the middle of nowhere, so if you're a wanderer there's only the desert to see.
Overall, a true relaxing holiday, 28 degrees in the day, a bit chilly at night in February, so take long sleeves for the evening."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of March 2009

by J ward

Reviewed Sat 22nd of November 2008

"the hotel was very clean and staff very friendly.
However, do be prepared to stay at the hotel for the whole duration, as there is nothing to do in the remote Marsa Alam. That didn't bother me too much as i just wanted a relaxing beach/pool holiday this time, however, it would have been nice to have experienced the culture and have met the real people, there are day trips available through your rep but they are not cheap, we went to Dolphin house, it was a disaster and completely inappropriate for weak swimmers and young children. Everyone was sea sick and the sea was unsafe, i felt thomas cook should have informed us better on what the day involved.
The room we had was very nice and clean. The beach is quite nice and excellent for scuba and swimming at the end of the pier-exotic beautiful fish to see.
the swimming pools are ok, and one is heated, they are cleaned through out the day and do have alot of tiles missing.
The food really wasn't very good and very dull, and the staff have no idea how to make alcholic beverages, they pour way too much alchohol making it impossible to drink, and the cocktail list consists of one spirit and a mixer-not very exciting!
the weather was beautiful every day about 26 degrees but quite windy, overall my family had a pleasant and relaxing stay at the hotel and did enjoy the evening entertainment -belly dancer, but we felt there wasn't much available for children to do, they have a disco every night but it only lasts 25mins if your lucky. I difinitely wouldn't go back, but perhaps in 10 years it will be more developed as they are building lots more hotels nearby."

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of November 2008

I have just come back from this resort a...

Reviewed Thu 10th of July 2008

"I have just come back from this resort and would agree with the above. I would like to add though that diarrhea is common place in Marsa Alam regardless of what you eat or drink. We were on honeymoon and my wife and i were going approximately 4-5 times a day. Other guests were even going more times and had to seek urgent medical attention costing them money (about £50). The resort is not close to anything (unlike what the brochure and lead us to believe) The pool was falling apart, tiles were breaking off badly and it wasn't hygienic as there was lots of mould and dirt around the pool bar and edges of the pool. The entertainment from the Freak Animation team was excellent, most of the staff were friendly all the time (except if you had a problem) All inclusive was disappointing, 13 hours (from 10am - 11pm) after that drinks were 2€ a bottle of beer, 1€ for soft drinks. Everything you drink you have to sign for. Frequently they run out of glasses causing problems at the bar. Food is awful, and very repetitive (breakfast is the same every day, Boiled Eggs or Scrambled Eggs, Beef "Frankfurter style" sausages, toast, cereal) if you want to leave the resort it costs at least 10€ per person each way to visit Port Ghalib. If travelling with Thomas Cook, best excursion and value for money is the Star Gazing Desert Discovery. The food on this trip is better than the hotel, you ride a camel and visit a bedouin village. The Jetty to the sea is about 500m long so be prepared for a long walk. there are other problems with this resort and my wife and i will not be returning to this resort, even if we win the holiday."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of July 2008

The Tulip was a lovley Hotel , we have v...

Reviewed Mon 5th of May 2008

"The Tulip was a lovley Hotel , we have visited Egypt a number of times so knew what to expect, The hotel was clean and well kept with staff that just wanted to please.
The rooms where good size, and well situated. The pools where fine and still heated in april to compensate for that wind chill factor.
The food was poor the first week but got better the second (that could be down to everybody complaining)Plenty of food but not that hot and very repetitive that said you would not go hungry.

The beach was nice but due to the strong winds the sea was out of bounds on a number of days when we did get to go in the reefs where good. Marsa Alam has strong winds all year and is great for kite surfing and other sports but not so good for lazing and snorkling.

The one thing I would say is that at this time there is no where to visit or walk to, no local shops, the marina is open but not finished. A number of people who where staying here did not realise that you are hotel based unless you do an organised trip.

We had a good holiday but would not go back to Marsa Alma, there was nothing wrong with the hotel it was good value for money.

The brocher was a bit miss leading the area of Marsa Alma is huge and not a village as discribed."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of May 2008

tulip resort heaven

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"we stayed at this hotel in june 07. yes its in the middle of nowere. however we were told this befor we left, if u want to relax by the pool or the sea, it is heaven . more then enough sunbeds, a very large pool, a swim up bar, which the service was fantastic, iwould dive in the pool and by the time i got to the bar they had a drink on the bar for me and they were very polite. there are many italians, about half,alot of germans who were polite to us all and some russians. the food was very nice and loads of choice, and on the one occation i didnt like anythink the chef said he would cook me somethink different and did. all the waiters are very polite always happy and could not do enough for you, they are a credit to the owner. the accomodation was basic but very clean. beach towels were new so ok. the entertainment team are italian and are there till fnd of sept, fredrico is there leader and always tryed to make us feel at home . the hotels quad bikeing was fantastic and would highly recomend it. all in all a fantastic holiday, will go back."

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of August 2007

Great Holiday.

Reviewed Mon 22nd of October 2012

"9 members of my family took off from Manchester on the 18th July for 2 weeks in the Tulip Resort. The holiday was booked through Thomas Cook and we flew with Astreus. The flight was uneventful, as I am sure you already know there is no entertainment on the Manchester flights with Asterus so make sure you take an MP3 player or a good book to read. The flight took off and landed on time. The Airport at Marsa Alam is very small so it was quick to get the baggage and the stamp for the visa. We took the stamp from the guy with the Thomas Cook board and then paid the $18 on the bus to the hotel, which was around 15 minutes as we were the only stop.

On a previous review they mentioned a building site, there is one next to the hotel, but in the 2 weeks we were there was nobody working there. The hotel is on a main road but we hardly heard any vehicles.

Check in went smoothly, we had 3 rooms all next to each other in block 19, we were told that 2 would be interconnecting, but they weren’t. We arrived close to 10pm when the restraunt closes so we only had the dregs of the food so we hoped this wasn’t how it was every night. We needn’t have worried the food was fine the rest of the hols there was always enough to choose from. Every 2 nights they serve the food outside and they bar-b-q some foods as well. Each breakfast and lunch is eaten inside but the evening meals can be eaten outside which is very nice, and we were well looked after by the waiters who continually bought the wine, beer and coke for us throughout the evening. We tipped every night around $5 and for this small amount we were really looked after, they even set up the table for the 9 of us and reserved it each evening. We didn’t see many other people tipping, just lots of rude guests never saying thank you and cutting in lines etc. 90% of the guests are Italians and rest Germans, French and Brits.

The Reef at the end of the 800M long pier is stunning, plenty of fish to see even just down the steps. We swam several times to the pier at the next hotel under construction about half a mile away and saw Moray eels, turtles lots of unicorn fish and an eagle ray. You can do diving courses at the hotel but I booked with Emperor divers as I though these would be better me being British rather than the Italians running the hotels divers. I would deffinatly recommend Emperor Divers, they are a great team and a wonderful setup. I did my Open Water course with them.

The entertainment at the hotel was pretty much Italian oriented, the staff are all Italians so they were doing water aerobics, dancing and belly dancing etc. Each day and there was a show on a few times a week although they are on a 7 day cycle so if you are staying for 2 weeks you will no doubt see the same show more than once. There are other shows run by visiting performers usually a belly dancer, whirling dervish and a few other dancers. This was always entertaining. There was a kids disco each evening around 8.30 for around 45 minutes and the 4 kids loved it (they are aged between 6 and 10). We never went to the adults disco or the sea food restaurant (only open on Fridays at a supplement of around 25 Euros per person).

We booked a few tours through Thomas Cook; a snorkelling trip to Hammata, this is around 1.5 hours to get there so its a long day. We did the Bedouin dinner which was nice, although we did it on a Sunday when we were told its very quiet, other days are supposed to be packed, so if you are interested, book the Sunday. We booked the Abu Dabab to see the turtles and the Dugong (Sea cow) with the diving centre at the hotel, it was good at 22 Euros per person and that includes a lifejacket if needed. They take you on 2 guides snorkels or if like me you are a good swimmer then you can go and explore by yourself. We say loads of turtles and even the Dugong, although its hard to see when there are 20 screaming Italians swimming around it when its trying to breathe.

Overall it was a great holiday and I would recommend it fully. The sea was clear the sun was hot and the beer was cold what more can you ask for. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me."

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of August 2007

great stay is your into diving

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"Stayed at this hotel in december with 2 teenagers - if you want an introduction to scuba diving and a relaxing holiday it cant be beaten! The Hotel is in the middle of nowwhere and entertainment sometimes borders on 'Butlins' redcoats trying to keep you amused but are not pushy and try thier best. The restaurant is usual for fully inclusive abroad (buffet style) but wide choice of food and piping hot - plus chefs on hand to cook to order - staff extreemly freindly and treated my boys with card tricks ! The beach was windy (but was december) but a joy to relax with waiters serving freshly squeezed juice (or cocktails) in December with Jingle bells on Tannoy! Don't go if you want shopping or nightlife - but if you do go swim with the wild dolphins an absoultely amazing experience! Was told by 2 aussies the diving is better than barrier reef!"

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of July 2007

what an horrible experiance

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"i feel very bad writting this review, considering hat not all the holiday was too bad.
hotel rooms nice, but don't book a sea view as you don't get it even if you have paid for it. we paid for it and we where looking at a concrete wall for our stay. when we complained to our rep he was not in the slightest bit interested and told us that they don't have a sea view at the moment due to the new building sight next door.
the hotel is still undergoing extensive building work, every day we where woken at 7.30 by builders outside our room, and at lunch time they just sit outside your room haveing s´moking breaks.
the food is ok and is about the best thing of the holiday, however do not expect there to be an a la carte restuarant as they have closed it do to lake of business. you can however have a meal on the beach on a friday, wich you pay 25 euros for, this was terrible and resulted in me being sick for 3 days. they asked for the payment up front, (we where not happy about this as why should you pay for something before you get it) it then turned out that the food was the same as you would have gotton in the main restuaranat except that you could have shrimps and calamari!! not work 25 euros each. don't put your selves through what i have had.
i am really dissopointed about our stay i only get 2 weeks a year to go on holiday and paid alot of money to go there and it really wasn't worth it. the managemnet and reception don't want anything to do with you unless you are german or italien. they hardly speak english and are very rude. the reception do not know what they are doing, be prepaired for a very long check in and out time as they haven't got a clue. they didn't even know how to charge our credit card.
be aware if you are female that the pool guys are very agressive and try to ask you for sex!!! very openly when i was sat with my boyfriend. i couldn't belive that there was a man asking me if i wanted sex!!
there is a building sight next door that makes noise all day and a very busy road in front of the hotel, you can hear the cars all night long.
over all not the best place to go, i have been working for thomas cook for 4 years and i would never send any of my customers to that hotel, unless it improved dramaticaly."

• Travel date: Sat 30th of June 2007

Hotels near Magic Tulip Beach Resort

Top traveller tips for Magic Tulip Beach Resort

• CLEE by CLEE

"probably busier in about 5 years time, the Tulip Resort is very remote, Port Ghalib 15 mins away "

• RussWH by RussWH

"Marsa Alam hmmm what can I say .... not a lot "

• RussWH by RussWH

"The fish in the sea looked nice "

• Candiloo by Candiloo

"can 't wait to go back "

• Candiloo by Candiloo

"just stop, relax, stop worrying about tiny little things, tell the manager, get it sorted straight away if there is and issue - your holiday is what you make it. "

Magic Tulip Beach Resort is also called