Good points: Lovely hotel rooms Kept ve...

Reviewed Sat 24th of May 2008

"Good points:
Lovely hotel rooms Kept very clean very large bedroom and bathroom with walk in shower (but hot water a bit hit and miss) very private balcony over looking the gardens and sea. although Thomson wrote and told us we all would be put on the ground floor rooms but know reason was given. all areas and pool very well kept. nice plush reception and reception staff very helpful and friendly, private sandy beach with access to the coral reefs very safe for children as the sea is shallow, clean beach towels every day.
Bad points:
The restaurant very over crowded and noisey at peak times a job to get a table many people walked round with their meals trying to find seats, very poor lay out of food area and long queues at times, a week was enough of eating chicken how many ways can you cook it!! breakfast a good selection of eggs! most food covered in five spice and herbs ( not Egyption)
Sunbeds same old thing not enough had to get up early like 6am to get a sunbed on the beach or round the pool anyone after 9.30am missed out.
Most staff very friendly but as usual some bar staff not.
Entertainment:
Very poor mostly carred out in the dico room as there is a lot of building work being carreid out to extend the hotel at the rear of the open air theatre
Overall a good holiday and would never say never go back! Very Very Hot "

• Travel date: Sat 24th of May 2008

I went to Brayka Bay with my Mum in Janu...

Reviewed Tue 15th of April 2008

"I went to Brayka Bay with my Mum in January and am returning again in 3 weeks. Had the most amazing time. The resort is fabulous, along with the very hard working staff that do all they can to make you most welcome. This is not a huge British tourist area (thank god!) and there are a mixture of nationalities that travel to this hotel. If you are well travelled then this should not be a problem, but if you are used to Benidorm then I am afraid this is not the hotel for you! I met many very nice Russian, German and Italian people, some of them on the 3rd or 4th visit and on very friendly terms with the staff.

It is everything and more than the brochure says and has the wow factor from the start of your holiday to the end. I can't believe anyone could have anything bad to say about this hotel and the amazing staff. I'm going again on 7th May and then again on 24th September with my Mum.

The beach and snorkelling is fantastic as well and equally as good as the Maldives but less than half the price!

Well done Brayka Bay and see you all soon!

Sandie x"

• Travel date: Tue 15th of April 2008

just returned from our second visit to B...

Reviewed Thu 31st of January 2008

"just returned from our second visit to Brayka Bay and its just as great. The food is fantastic and the chefs deserve the utmost recognition for their skills. all the staff are incredibly friendly and helpfull. The snorkling is wonderful . Beds are a lot on the hard side but this is a small discomfort in order to enjoy such a warm and friendly place. Dont go here if yoy want noisy music and lots of entertainment as it is very low key."

• Travel date: Thu 31st of January 2008

I have just returned from a holiday at t...

Reviewed Fri 25th of January 2008

"I have just returned from a holiday at the Brayka bay with a friend....it was one of the best holidays we have ever had.

The food was brilliant, the staff couldn’t do enough for you, and the hotel itself is lovely. ..... some gorgeous Italian reps too girls!

Excursions were very good and the guides were very helpful and spoke very good English. We would definitely return ....... can’t understand all the negative reviews...... previous guests......are you sure you stayed at the Brayka????? we cried when it was home time and we are definitely going back."

• Travel date: Fri 25th of January 2008

After reading comments on this hotel we...

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2007

"After reading comments on this hotel we very nearly didn’t go to it. But I’m glad we did, the hotel is excellent, the food was good, the snorkelling was excellent, the entertainment isn’t the best but ok. The staff are all friendly and will help you out with anything you need.

The only time you get plastic glasses like some people moan about is by the pool or on the beach which you get in any hotel whether it be 3 star or 5 star. We have just rebooked for next year we enjoyed it that much and this is the first time we have booked any hotel twice.

This is our fourth time in Egypt in 4 and 5 star hotels and this hotel was good and everybody we talked to there didn’t have a bad word or complaint about it.

• Travel date: Thu 13th of December 2007

Learn to speak Italian before you go. Th...

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2007

"Learn to speak Italian before you go. This hotel caters for Italians, not for British people, I was told the Brits were in bed by 10 o'clock, I soon found out why, entertainment (unless you are Italian), is non-existent. Very third rate, even the Italians would agree with that.

I have travelled extensively throughout Egypt; this hotel is the worst hotel I've ever stayed in, in Egypt. I got the impression the staff working at the hotel just weren't interested, just going through the motions.

The gym was filthy, none of the machines were ever cleaned, dead flies abounded, and toilets looked as if they hadn't been cleaned for months. Make sure you take your alarm clock with you; you'll need it if you want to get a sun umbrella, and the Germans are normally up at about 6.30 so 6 o'clock should be OK.

Good idea to take a torch with you, a lot of the steps are very steep with no handrail and no lights, so be careful after your all-inclusive evening drinks in plastic cups because, apparently, the on-site doctor don't come cheap.

The dining room is like a cattle market if you hit it at the wrong time and, the Italians don't have the word 'queue' in their vocabulary so elbow pads might be worth packing to stop the bruising as they try to push in.

Service is pretty bad, nine times out of ten you end up getting your own cutlery and laying your own table. Minibar - what a joke! Two bottles of water both had been refilled; this is an official 5-star hotel? I don't think so! Be prepared to lose some laundry if you partake in this service, my wife lost two blouses.

Anyway anybody going to the Brayka Bay Reef Resort, enjoy yourself, I certainly will not be going back again."

• Travel date: Sat 1st of December 2007

We stayed at this hotel complex in Septe...

Reviewed Mon 1st of October 2007

"We stayed at this hotel complex in September 2007. Even though it is rated 4* I would say it is way below that at about 3*. The hotel was clean and the food OK but everyone one we met, one or both couples had an upset tummy and I in fact was extremely ill for 4 days.

We stayed at the Coraya Beach last year and the hotel was far superior. At meal times at the Brayka Bay some people turned up very badly dressed (men in vest tops at the evening meal) some even with no shoes.

The animation team at the hotel was Italian and quite truthfully were so awful you had to laugh at them but they didn't make any effort to include English people in their activities just young Italians.

The complex is very isolated and if shopping is your forte there are only 4 shops, a gold shop, a t shirt shop, a papyrus shop and a junk shop who all charge tip top prices because they have the monopoly.

Apart from all this the snorkelling was very good. The reef was amazing and we saw some magnificent fish, but we won't be going back.

• Travel date: Mon 1st of October 2007

A great hotel. I stayed at Brayka Bay fo...

Reviewed Mon 11th of June 2007

"A great hotel. I stayed at Brayka Bay for two weeks and had a great time.

The staff at Brayka Bay are really great they go out of their way to have a laugh with you and always try and get you to smile and laugh, the hotel is set in a lovely setting and the reef has some really nice fish, the best time to go out is in the morning, at lunch time and late afternoon.

I saw a number of smaller fish in the shallow water, including spotted stingray, a sea snake, and even baby clown fish, and you could even find Crocodile Fish not too far out either. The reef offers you loads to see and everyday you will see something different from the day before.

The beach was clean and litter was picked up a few times a day, the staff were very helpful and if you had a problem, things were sorted out very fast.

The hotel is spread out over the bay so you don’t feel like it’s over crowed, gardens are well looked after and are worked on everyday to keep them looking so good.

The rooms are big and spacious, and cleaned every day, the weather was fantastic for the whole two weeks.

If you are looking for a relaxing holiday then this is a good place to go.

I wouldn’t have second thoughts about going back to his hotel and I would recommend it to anyone."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of June 2007

Hotel is isolated as are all hotels in M...

Reviewed Mon 28th of May 2007

"Hotel is isolated as are all hotels in Marsa Alam.

Brayka Bay reef resort? Failed to find reef to snorkel after walking a long way into sea. No jetty very disappointed no fish in shallow water and out of all hotels visited in area beach is very scruffy, litter etc.

Indoor pool is nice as is the outside walk-in pool bar where you can sit in, cool down, and have a beer!

Very clean all over hotel, gardens are superbly maintained with piped music as you walk through.

Most rooms a fair walk from main buildings and at night very poorly lit, uneven pavements, lots of steps and quite often hosepipes from gardeners on pathways at night when they work till gone 1am in morning. Also tend to mow the lawns between 10-4 when you are relaxing round the pool!

Food is good, great salad bar and breads, every night is a themed night, and food is cooked fresh outside, good choice.

Also at lunch time chef cooks fresh pasta to order etc.

All inclusive drinks, very small glasses of wine /beer given and only 1 all incl bar at night... or so we thought ... pool bar was actually open till 10 or 12 on alternate nights as we found all the Italians there but no one told us!

Very geared up for the Italians they tend to fall over themselves to get to them at both the restaurants to seat them in the evening and at the bar!

Entertainment very poor as you have to go to amphitheatre on beach ,no bar and when beach party was held you had to buy drinks! All animation team are Italian and supplied by Italian holiday company, but all very nice and made an effort if only to be polite to get us to go to eve entertainment.

Overall good value for money ,ok for a weeks R&R, not sure I could manage 2 weeks, staff lovely, clean hotel - would not rush to book again unless we got a really cheap deal as there are better hotels in Marsa Alam."

• Travel date: Mon 28th of May 2007

Dugong

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"After struggling to select somewhere to go for some winter sun am very pleased we ended up here. Although the lack of water in the pool was a bit of a disappointment (should be full again soon), the place was really well looked after, clean and very relaxing. Entertainment was very much what you made of it, although the hotel bar did have a bit of a wetherspoons feel about it! I recommend going to the 'Bedouin Tent' at the end of the beach after dinner in the evening and just chilling out with a sheesha pipe and some beers (not in the all inclusive but worth it for the peace and quiet).
The food was fine, no complaints and no stomach problems, some of the salads look a bit recycled but there is a very wide choice and the meat is freshly cooked in front of you. At the end of the day, it would be a shame to think the whole spread was all thrown away at the end of each meal as it would be such a terrible waste.
During what was probably the coldest week of the year there, the temps were easily in the twenties every day, although the breeze was a bit chilly in the evenings.
The onsite dive centre is a definite plus (although it did practically double the price of our holiday... 'tis not the cheapest diving in the world), incredibly convenient and good staff, by no means a cowboy outfit.
The house reef/bay is great for diving/snorkelling or just swimming, which is a big plus as a lot of hotels in this area have no beach equivalent as they just go straight onto reef.
The waiting staff were good fun and helpful - although we did tip them a bit which probably helped - a little in Egypt goes a long way for these guys!!!
All in all, definitely worth a visit and great value for money (we paid £290 each through Thomson)."

• Travel date: Fri 26th of January 2007

great

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"just returned from brayka bay, great holiday hotel is immaculate all gardens and grounds really well kept with loads of staff, weather was about 20ish which was ok.
kids had own room adjoining ours.
beach is fantastic with own house reef you only have to walk out waist high and look under to see some great fish and coral, sea is very shallow warm and safe for kids or weak swimmers.
food was ok with lots to choose from just check your chicken is cooked properly.
go on hammatta boat trip as this is very good, all the staff on the boats are very knowledgeable and make you feel very safe, never did i think me and my 11yr old would be snorkelling in the middle of the sea but we did and it was great, the boat takes you out to uninhabited islands and gives you time to spend there.
entertainment in the hotel is a bit poor as it is mostly aimed at italians but it was watchable, english are the minority in this hotel mainly italians/russians but we were made to feel very welcome, staff will do anything to please.
all in all a great first visit to the red sea and will go back"

• Travel date: Mon 15th of January 2007

paradise at the Brayka Bay Reef Resort

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"04/12/2006
We have just returned The Brayka Bay Reef Resort at Marsa Alam, Egypt. I have to report that this was one of the best value for money holidays that we have ever experienced! From the time we stepped off the plane to the time we left, we were treated like royalty! The med hotels rep. took us trhough customs in double quick time and we were greeted with a welcoming drink in reception. The suitcases arrived at the room 2minutes after we did. All tht staff from gardeners to management were polite, friendly and courteous. Food was excellent! Neither of us were ill, and we tried just about all the food that was available during the week. Snorkelling around the 2 excellent house reefs was a complete joy. All in all for a quite, relaxing pre christmas break in the sun, in clean friendly surroundings we could not find any fault with this resort. Highly recommend all inclusive holiday!
Rob & Yvonne Somerville"