I went to Makadi Palace with my husband...

Reviewed Thu 30th of June 2005

"I went to Makadi Palace with my husband from 29th July-12th August and had a fantastic time. The hotel, although not quite finished is lovely and clean and you can hardly notice that there is still work going on.

I'd booked into a standard suite but was pleasantly surprised to find we had been up-graded to a junior suite. Rooms were cleaned daily, sometimes twice a day. The view from the balcony was amazing-overlooking the pools with the many palm trees and views of the Red Sea. Snorkelling at the beach was superb, we saw the biggest and most colourful fish I have ever seen.

Our favourite restaurant was the lagoon, which was very romantic in the evening where we looked out to the Red Sea.

Waiters were very attentive, you only had to put your near empty drink down and they brought you another one.

The only down side was the entertainment, one guy who we named; Bob Marley sang the same songs EVERY night, if I hear Red, Red Wine again I’ll scream!! Some of the other entertainment was a little amateurish!

overall a great holiday and we will definitely go back.

• Travel date: Thu 30th of June 2005

My husband and I spent 2 weeks at the Gr...

Reviewed Sat 30th of April 2005

"My husband and I spent 2 weeks at the Grand Makadi. Although we booked this hotel we were initially put in the Makadi Palace.

We didn’t find this out till the next day when we went to complain to the rep about the noise of workmen from 7.00am. The hotel was nowhere near complete. We were eventually moved later that day after several trips to the reception. If you wanted a sun lounger you had to be up by 7.00 when the towel man arrived. The Germans were tipping him in order to reserve beds to save them getting out of there beds at that time.

We both ended up with severe stomach pains for the first 5 days which meant that we were unable to go on any trips the first week. We blamed in on the terrace bar as the only seemed to rinse their glasses in water (which you were advised not to drink) when it was busy and did not dry them , which meant that every time you had a drink it contained some of the contaminated water.

On a better note, the food was very good and the service good too as long as it wasn’t busy. We had a nice boat trip on the second week, which provided you with lunch and 2 snorkelling breaks for only £20.00.

The free shuttle bus was good as it is about 30 km to the nearest shops apart from the tiny one in the hotel foyer. The rooms were very nice. We had a junior suite, which was massive and very comfortable and always cleaned to a high standard every day.

The weather was well over 40c most days so it was on with the high factor sun. cream."

• Travel date: Sat 30th of April 2005

We holidayed here from the 6th-13th May....

Reviewed Sat 30th of April 2005

"We holidayed here from the 6th-13th May. We had booked into the Grand Makadi thankfully, I didn’t envy those staying at the Palace. As previous reviewers have mentioned, it is unfinished as yet, but they shouldn’t be too long as the work is ongoing.

We had booked into a Junior suite, but I'm not sure we actually got this. The view wasn’t too good from our balcony, but it didn’t ruin our holiday. The food was excellent, as was the service. Do get up early for your sun loungers though as most of them were taken by about 8.30am.

Just a note - if Germans aren’t your thing, steer clear! The hotel is predominantly geared for Germans, and being as obnoxious and rude as they are, I’m surprised the staff haven’t walloped any of them by now!

All in all an enjoyable holiday in Makadi Bay, but definitely a one off, and I won’t be returning."

• Travel date: Sat 30th of April 2005

Hi as it stood on the 13th May there is...

Reviewed Sat 30th of April 2005

"Hi as it stood on the 13th May there is no such hotel as the Palace just an extenuation of the Grand Hotel. The Palace is built on to the side of the Grand so one huge complex, you have the use of the whole area. When we got there we used the reception for at the grand to check in, its a little walk say 4 mins from the Palace to the reception at the Grand, so not all that far.

There is still some building work going on near the beach. The beach isn't open for the palace yet but the grand’s beach is open. The beach gets really full very early, if its a front spot you want then get up at 06.30 and get your towels out, I got up at 07.00 and could only get the back of the beach. But there are loads of spaces by the pools. The first day we where there 6th May the first restaurant opened at the palace, buffet style open in the morning and at night. Just as we where leaving they where finishing off the other bar and restaurant’s. It is being built really fast now, so don’t think it will be long for it all to be open.

We used the beach, bars and restaurants of the grand hotel. I can say that the food was great, and the service was as well. The entertainment at night tends to be by the beach on the stage after the kids club has finished, or by the top bar at the Grand after 21.00. If you can get a seat by the pool you will have a good view and get some great service. You may find it hard to get a seat by the bar and grills at the beach side (starfish bar) but you can get your food to take away to your sun lounger. I found if you didn’t want to wait for a seat at the a la carte restaurants 19.00 was a good time to get there.

The room we where in, wasn’t finished off very well no chair by desk fresh paint and a couple of sockets that didn’t work. The TV’s aren’t tuned in very well, but if you ask at reception they will send someone to do it for you. No coffee making equipment in rooms, but that’s the same for anywhere in Egypt. Some wires sticking out of walls in corridors so be careful, and in our bathroom. Didn’t really make a huge difference to the holiday to be honest. as you spend all your time at the Grand Hotel I think the holiday companies could be a bit more honest when people book. Also the poor to the lights in the corridors sometimes goes off, so watch going back to your room at night.

One thing to get in the sea its a good idea to buy rubber slippers at the hotel shop, the beach goes in to corral at the waters edge not sand so hard on the feet. There are some great excursions run from the rep's. The snorkelling one was good, three stops and a good range of fish to be seen £20. 1001 nights safari £40 a great day out with doing.

The Grand hotel is really night and if I had the choice I would have booked that. But it was a good holiday all in all, and when it is finished the Palace will be a great hotel as well. I’m sure they will be up and running really soon."

• Travel date: Sat 30th of April 2005

We arrived at 4am in the morning and the...

Reviewed Sat 30th of April 2005

"We arrived at 4am in the morning and there were no lights on. We had a huge hike through dark corridors to eventually get to our room, as the reception was not open due to the hotel being under construction i.e. still being built. We had to use the reception in the sister hotel the Makadi Grand.

The whole holiday was a nightmare.

There were no restaurants open, we had to walk to the Makadi Grand for everything. Therefore that hotel was packed due to two hotels merging into one. There was constant building work going on, in fact scaffolding next to the boarded up entrance next to our room, had a mans legs quite often dangling down as he hammered and drilled all day, 8am-9pm. There was no fire alarms in operation, no glass in them. When we alerted the rep to this he said that he had informed Airtours in the UK and they had said that it was not their concern as the fire alarms etc were the responsibility of the hotel, not them.

Bearing in mind that this was an all inclusive holiday, 5* with no mention on the screen when booking that there was building work going on I feel we were duped. The flights had also been changed to a later time without informing us. Therefore giving us less time at the resort, which in hindsight was a good thing.

There was only one bar for the two hotels with three barmen at maximum serving. If they didn’t want to they wouldn’t serve you. The drink waiters took ages to return a drink to you even when they had accidentally spilt one on you!

The restaurants in the Grand were fairly basic, we were told in the Italian restaurant that there were no lasagne or pizzas left! The buffet style quite bland.

The beach was OK, but not as nice as further down in Hurghada. The pools in the Palace looked fantastic, shame there were no sunloungers. We had to go to the Grand for that too, therefore it was crowded.

The Grand hotel was spotlessly clean and there was always someone mopping the floor.

The room was always clean and the cleaner very polite and friendly.

We constantly felt obliged to tip people, a concept we are quite embarrassed about, i.e. when, where and what do you say. Not because I am tight! It is only men who work in the hotels doing everything.

I don’t know whether the hotel is completed yet, and dare say it will be lovely when it is. Unfortunately it wasn’t when we were there.

• Travel date: Sat 30th of April 2005

I visited with my Mum (50+) & myself (28...

Reviewed Tue 1st of March 2005

"I visited with my Mum (50+) & myself (28) Advertised as a 5* Hotel the hotel Pool, grounds & Food keep to this standard, unfortunately the rooms (we had a Junior Suite) are 3*. I complained & was told that due to customer demand the rooms are being rushed to completion (new build) no post build inspection or extra cleaning is done. The hairdryer was hanging off the wall & the bath installation/protection film had not been removed after fitting. The manager sent me a bottle of house wine (fine but we were All-Inclusive) the problems were never fixed as promised. The manager was surprised that I’d paid extra for a Suite as he thought all the rooms were the same???

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful, the beach & the views amazing. The restaurants lovely but over crowded at popular meal times, imposable to book the Italian, booked up 5 days in advance.

The buffet restaurant could always guarantee a seat but buffet gets repetitive.

The hotel is geared at accommodating its German guests, this is reflected in the food, entertainment & Morning rush to get a towel on a longer routine.

The junior staff are the best I have ever come across, Cleaners, Waiters & Bar staff amazing. Unfortunately senior staff are Arrogant bullies to the lads that work there, this might be typical in other Hotels in Egypt, as it was my first stay, I don’t know???

Hotel best suited to couples.

I would return to this hotel but I would wait until all the building is completed & I would book under Grand Makadi Palace, the hotel now has a them & us situation with Grand Makadi Bay/ Palace the introduction of the Palace Rooms being much more opulent, even passable as 5*.

• Travel date: Tue 1st of March 2005