Good
( 1970 reviews)

Awful discrimination

Reviewed Thu 12th of March 2015

"This hotel cancelled my confirmed reservation for my family apparently based on my Nationality. The cancellation was within only three weeks before my travel date. They did not respond to any of my emails. I have escalated the the issue to the Egyptian Police and also contacted my embassy in London.
I have managed to get another reservation but at more than double price. This is my worst travel experience."

• Travel date: Thu 12th of March 2015

A great hotel and a great holiday. We st...

Reviewed Wed 8th of October 2008

"A great hotel and a great holiday. We stayed 4 nights in this resort (2 Oct. till 6 Oct.2008). The service is super, this resort should be rated as a 5 star and not a 4 star hotel.
Rooms: Spacious, clean
The housekeeping report and call maintenance to fix things before we ask, i.e. the AC was leaking in my room, so I said I will call after I come back from the beach, and to my surprise when I came back I found the maintenance man coming to fix it.
Restaurant: The food is good with variety, what you have in lunch is different than what you get in dinner. The All inclusive service is good at this hotel, you get bottled water, ice cream, there is no limit.
Each day they have a theme for dinner, we had barbeque twice , one day sea food and the other day chicken and meat.
Also at dinner we had Turkey and Duck.
Animation: The hotel has an amphitheatre where there is entertainment every night and then another show at the pool bar.
We were really happy and not bored.
The beach is fabulous and very clean. I did parasailing which was interesting, it costs $60
The service in the hotel is very good, they are attentive and want you to be happy.
The mangers ask us if we are happy and if there is anything more that they can do.
I really loved makady bay, and I loved the hotel. "

• Travel date: Wed 8th of October 2008

Almost great.

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"It's the first time I'm experiencing a "All inclusive" hotel, and I must admit that this one saved me a lot of the clichés you get when anticipating this king of lodging facilities.
The rooms were great (the dolby surround effect" is amazing), food was absolutely satisfying, in variety and quality, people from the hotel were usually nice, rarely reluctant to help you, pools and facilities perfect, the nights were quiet and the animations uninvasive.
I have only one negative thing to say: the bar near the pool was not up to the standards of the restaurant, for exemple. Personnel too limited for the numerous clients (the served every bottle of water drinked in this hotel, every drink needed by the people spending the whole day near the pool, and enough cocktails to satisfy the german and russian clients ready to push out the limits of an all inclusive. The varity of the drinks was poor, especially in the juice category, more than artificial and chemical. This critic could yet be more implified for the drink palapa at the beach. Desastrous.
But even if I took a lot of time to describe this only weakness, I must admit that the rest was marvelous and that I had a wonderful stay at Makadi Oasis."

• Travel date: Thu 19th of July 2007

Well worth a visit

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We spent a wonderful week at Iberotel Makadi Oasis in March.

Hotel itself was lovely set in a large complex of 2/3 storey buildings, 2 big pools and lots of open space. The staff were very friendly, reception always very helpful. Our room was lovely. Had a queensize bed and lots of room, with a terrace opening onto the main pool. Everywhere was very clean, staff were cleaning all day.

We used the restaurant by the main reception. Breakfast was always good, with choice of whatever you could think of. A nice little extra on your table was a daily news sheet with the latest news and details of activities for the day and night. Lunch and evening meal again, lots of choice, and most nights there was a barbecue outside cooking meat that was lovely.

Pool bar good too with a pizza bar with yummy pizzas cooked to order. Lovely ice-cream too.

Drinks were ok, if you're not fussed about specific brands. The gin tasted a bit like vodka and vice-versa. But who cares when it's free!

Beach was a short walk through another hotel grounds, but well worth it. Again very clean with a snack bar for your needs. The corals in Macadi Bay are fantastic for snorkling. We went out on a boat trip, but the next day found corals in the bay which, when snorkling, you could think you were in a tropical fish tank there were so many fish. It was fantastic and on your doorstep, you didn't have to swim miles to get to it and didn't have to go mega deep either. Don't book your trips through your holiday rep, book them on the beach, you will save loads and the boat trip we went on was excellent. Must say fish were better in bay than those we saw at locations where the boat took us but it was a really good day out, food was excellent, and it was an experience.

Animation team didn't pester you. There was entertainment every night, not brilliant but we never have been anywhere where we could say it was brill.

Would definately recommend going to the Spa in the resort, we had an Adam and Eve massage and it was brilliant. Make sure you book it for the evening, when it is dark ,as you will then have the benefit, like we did, of the stars above us which just added to the experience.

Never ventured out other than the boat trip which was from our beach so can't comment on outside the resort.

We went to totally chill and that's what we did, and came back with lovely tans, feeling very relaxed and rested."

• Travel date: Sun 15th of April 2007

Beware of luggage vultures at the airpor...

Reviewed Mon 9th of April 2007

"Beware of luggage vultures at the airport - don't bother with a trolley unless you've come laden with luggage.

Everyone has their hand out for a tip including the bus driver who wanted money for lifting your suitcase off the pavement onto luggage bay on the bus.

Generally, the staff at the hotel give better service if you tip. This does not have to be a lot of money. A £2 tip goes a long way and if you take care of your barman/ waiter/room cleaner they will look after you very well in return.

The hotel itself was immaculately clean; the rooms were spacious and comfortable. However only twin bedded rooms available, no double beds (not terribly romantic!).

The pool was large and a good temperature, could get a bit noisy with all the activities and children playing (but we did go at the beginning of the Easter holidays).

Food was varied and good. Huge choice of hot and cold food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Fantastic stone baked pizzas by the pool-bar cooked to order. Neither of us experienced any tummy trouble.

Local wine is not very palatable especially the white and rose which we found undrinkable. If you are a white wine enthusiast - buy some duty-free at your departure airport and take it with you. Hurghada airport is dry (being an Islamic country)

The beach was a 5 minute stroll away. Again spotlessly clean no problem getting a lounger and a much quieter environment than the pool area.

Camel rides along the beach (for about £4) and a lovely beach side restaurant (at extra cost) we ate "catch of the day" fresh fish cooked to your requirements absolutely delicious!

All-inclusive refreshments at the beach were restricted to beer, soft drinks tea and coffee.

The evening entertainment on 4 nights was a one-man-band who was excellent with a huge repertoire so it didn't get too boring but the belly-dancer on Friday evening was pretty dreadful.

The satellite TV is mainly German and Russian channels (the majority of hotel guests are of these nationalities) the only English channels are CNN (with bad reception) Discovery channel and Star Movies with Arabic subtitles!

We recommend you take a laptop and some DVD's with you if you want to watch a decent movie!

Talking of the other guests, this is a German-owned hotel chain and there are very few English people staying here. We found the Germans to be very courteous, polite and subdued but the RUSSIANS! They were something else altogether.

We were shocked at their rudeness both to staff and other guests. Sharpen your elbows; you'll need them if you find yourself in a queue!

Overall we had a wonderful, relaxing holiday - beautiful weather every day and friendly, helpful staff.

The only down sides - lack of evening entertainment, no good quality wine and too many Russians! "

• Travel date: Mon 9th of April 2007

Very good value for money

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"We stayed at the Makadi Oasis for one week in early March 2007.

Positives

I had never been on an all-inclusive holiday before and was a little apprehensive, with images of naff hotels with dreadful food as was the norm in 1960s Costa Brava.

In fact the Makadi Oasis was fantastic. The hotel has large grounds with two swimming pools (one heated), an outside bar, two restaurants and gardens. It is also part of a larger complex with more hotels (including the Iberotel Makadi Beach), restaurants at which a payment of 10 euros allows you a three course meal, shops, and the beach.

The hotel is spotless, with staff cleaning the communal areas continually. The food was varied and very good - a wide range of salads, fruit, hot courses, and even BBQs on most days. The only thing missing was a good selection of cold meats and cheeses, but (the former particularly) is unlikely to be found anywhere in this area. The drinks, including the usual soft-drinks (branded, e.g coca-cola) are all included, with beer (very good), red wine (OK), white and rose wine (not OK) easily available in the restaurant and at the pool bar. There are also free pizzas and other snacks available by the pool, and cake is brought around at 4pm.

The hotel has good gym and sporting facilities, and a wide-range of activities. The only thing to note is the clientele has typically been German and Russian, so German is more widely spoken than English, though the staff speak reasonable English and I suspect over time this will improve. The entertainment for children, however, I think was in German. For adults it tended to be just a singer, belting out English (or American) classics, and was very low key.

The beach is about 3-5 mins walk away, and is also clean and has bar facilities.

Finally the hotel is remarkable value. We paid about £80 a night, which for three meals and all the facilities was remarkable. Staff do not seem to expect tips (something which worried me) except the people who carried your suitcases to the room.

Negatives

Not really any but a few things to note. Makadi Bay is a Disneyland style invented resort, and so there is very little to do outside of the hotel. You are about 20 miles from Hurghada itself, so you would need to get a taxi or the 5 euro hotel bus service.

The weather in Jan/Feb/Mar is not always brilliant, we had some cloudy days even in March.

Although tipping is not widely expected, it is handy to have some euros with you for this purpose. Egyptian money is accepted, but euros are preferred."

• Travel date: Fri 16th of March 2007

Makadi Oasis

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"I have recently returned from The Iberotel Makadi Oasis hotel and having been to the Carribean a few times and being thoroughly spoilt I thought that it would be hard to find somewhere that I liked as much.

Overall I found this an excellent hotel.

I booked and travelled with Thomson holidays. The flight and transfer went without a hitch. The airport tax/visa on entering Hurghada airport was £10/person.

It was dark when we arrived so I couldn't see much of the surrounding area during the 30 minute coach transfer. On arrival, it was very organised with almost regimental style. The whole party on "newbie" holiday makers are sat in the reception and the goings on of the hotel were explained to he group. Not what I have been used to in the past but saved the queueing for keys etc.

The rooms are clean and comfortable. The food was satisfactory. If you are going for top class food then my advice would not to go to an all inclusive, buffet style service. I travelled with my 10 year old son who can be picky but I can honestly say that there was something suitable for us both at every meal. Freshly cooked pizza, sandwiches, cakes and ice cream were served at the pool bar. We didn't get upset tums at all. The drink was available all day around the pool and on the beach. Alcohol, soft and hot drinks.
The evening entertainment is very low key. There was a live singer in reception 4-5 nights out of my 7 night stay and there was a nice relaxed atmosphere. If you want shows etc then this isn't the place to go.
There is a disco attached to the hotel which I didn't go to. I was in block 1 and I could hear the faint boom boom of the music when I went to bed. If you are a light sleeper then I would recommend that you request a room near ro reception. the downfall of the disco was at 3 am every night I was woken by people that are inconsiderate and talk and slam doors on their return from a night out. To be fair though, the doors are impossible to close quietly.

My only thing that did not match to the Carribean was the beach. Iscomparison to the soft white sands of the Dominican republic, Makadi bay could not matchit. The sand is course under foot, the water was cold at the moment and you need to wear shoes in the water as it is a little uncomfy on your feet. Having said that, i understand that the snorkelling is very good and there are fish to see if you brave the cold water. My son had a scuba diving lesson (additional cost) and absolutely loved it. In comparison to other all inc resorts the facilities are limited i.e no kayaks, wind surfers etc but in comparison to other resorts, I paid half as much money!

The other thing of note is that the clientelle is predominantly Russian and German.

So all in all a very pleasant holiday. Would I return? To Egypt, Yes definitely. I would not return to this resort as I like to try new places but I would certainly recommend this hotel to others."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of March 2007

Excellent Hotel and wonderful service

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Excellent hotel, with superb food, service and weather.

The location is great for a sun based holiday as the weather is amazing, however as a base for things to do it remains in the early stages of developing, in particular catering for the English visitor; and the nearest major resort of Hurghada, some 30mins away by shuttle bus, is going to need significant imprvement if the current range of construction continues.

All in all a wonderful holiday, and a superb place to stay for the best that an All-inclusive has to offer - but i would hesitate returning to the resort until the range of retail development improves."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of February 2007

Just returned from a birthday visit. Mus...

Reviewed Thu 22nd of February 2007

"Just returned from a birthday visit. Must say well impressed with the hotel very clean, staff very friendly.

The barman can appear grumpy but once you get to know him and he warms to you your drinks will just appear Ok unless you want something different.

The restaurant staff are all very friendly. Food is very very good although a bit limited, but never couldn't find a decent meal.

We ate out at the Thai restaurant for my birthday which is extra around £45 for 4 of us, for that you get 4 starters, 4 main and 4 deserts and 4 glasses of wine, don't let reception fool you it is just behind reception it's not, it's not far once you know where it is.

Transfer time is approx 25 minutes, the airport is a bit warm and they will take just about any money you have, if you expect to use the toilet at the airport expect to tip on the way in.

Luggage Vultures are in force so unless you want to pay for someone to move your case 1 inch get to it first.

Trips - avoid the Thomson Trips for example the Mahmaya trip is £20 pp from the beach soft drinks included. The Thomson one is £40 all drinks are extra there is about a 45min transfer each way, can't say this happens on every trip but we had a boat drive through the designated snorkelling area! Good Old Thomsons Health and Safety Standards there.

Entertainment - Make your own unless you are pretty fluent in German, most nights there is universal entertainment in the lobby like a live band or a belly dancer. The daytime entertainment crew mostly German but friendly.

Weather - Bearing in mind we were there 13/2 to 20/2 the daytime weather was great around 25 each day sun up around 6 sun down effectively from around 4:30 it's light up to around 6:30 on the terraces but once the shadows arrive, the temperatures plummet. Take a jumper it's cold at night.

Beach - Manmade pleasant enough you'll soon find out why there are 4 million (slight exaggeration) wind breakers on the beach.

Refreshments at the beach are limited to Tea Coffee Beer and Soft Drinks, Ice Cream is usually available if they can be bothered to serve it.

Lunch on the beach is limited to large pretzels, and rolls.

The rep will tell you it's a 2 minute walk at the most possibly if you walk at 50mph... by the time you've circumnavigated the pool, the gardens, the hotels rear entrance, crossed the road, walked round the sandy football pitch, through the covered walkway it's a brisk 5-6 minutes or a 10 min leisurely stroll.

Bars - lobby bar service is a bit slow but the biggest gripe is that they use small glasses.
Pool Bar can get busy unless you get stuck behind an order for a load of coffees, you are never there more than about 5 minutes.

Reception - what a bunch of boring people - enough said all you can really do here is book extras and settle your bill.

They don't take credit cards and don't really want Egyptian pounds, Sterling, US $ and Euros’ will do nicely. You can't change money there either, luckily there is a branch of HSBC 2 minutes up the road complete with ATM

Russians - avoid them if you can they are loud and brash and think they own the place. Which when they are only paying around £150 pw all Inc let's face it they do.

Hurghada itself is one big building site everywhere you look a new hotel or apartment block is appearing but with this hotel, you are so far away from it you will never be bothered by it.

My recommendation is try it, there are far more good things than bad things and at the end of the day we came home relaxed, tanned and ready for another holiday, so it can't be bad."

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of February 2007

Fantastic relaxing holiday

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"Stayed here over the last week of January to get some winter sun, and thankfully, got exactly that.
It was lovely and warm, although a bit cooler in the evenings, (it is wise to pack some jumpers!) and the hotel was beautiful and relaxing. Nice large pool though not heated overly, takes you a few minutes to get your self into the pool but nice none the less. Rooms were great and just what you needed, the food was fine and catered for everybodies needs, and the staff were brilliant, especially a rather helpful waiter called Eid, cant do enough for you.
Over all brilliant for a winter destination and wouild recomend the hotel and definately stay here again."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of February 2007

The brochure advertises a 5 star hotel a...

Reviewed Wed 31st of January 2007

"The brochure advertises a 5 star hotel and does not mention all inclusive! Which in fact it is.

The holiday was taken in the Christmas and New Year period. There were only six British people in the hotel we did not see sight or sound of the tour representive.

The hotel was overrun with Russians with small children running around the dining room with no parental control. How there was no accidents with hot food and drinks being spilt on a child was amazing.

The no smoking policy does not affect this hotel, so chain smoking among the hotel guests was an everyday issue to try and find a table that did not have a cloud of smoke on the horizon.

The food was poor, we were on a half board basis which meant each time we asked for a drink/sandwich we were given the all inclusive food but charged list price.

The staff were very rude, spoke little or no English.

There was an option to eat in the other restaurants on the site but you had to obtain a voucher before you booked and then there was added confusion. The Russians on the all inclusive packages were given paper vouchers entitling them to a meal... No voucher no meal, so there was no option of impulsive dining.

They stated in the brochure the hotel is 400 meters from a beach this is also incorrect.

The Beach, when you find it, is all set out in uniform fashion and you have to locate your hotel site and find a sun bed. No freedom of choice for location.

We will never go back there again."

• Travel date: Wed 31st of January 2007

Excellent resort with great staff

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"We went to Makadi Oasis hotel for a quick break to escape the UK winter
it was an excellent resort with great staff and super clean. The food is very good with a wide choice of dishes. The hotel does cater for mostly German and Russian tourist but I am sure it will be popular with all holidaymakers and would go there again I an instant. A big thanks to everyone at the resort for making our stay an even better experience."

• Travel date: Sat 27th of January 2007