Harmony Makadi Bay Hotel & Resort

Safaga Road, Makadi Bay, Hurghada 642 Egypt

Good

I had a perfect week in the sun!

Reviewed Fri 31st of July 2009

"I just returned from a week in the sun. And it was great!
I went to the Harmony Makadi Bay hotel (which it is called now) with a friend and we had both been to Egypt before. So we were prepared for what the men were like. Charming in an irritating way. But not this time! We were never approached in an inapropriate way, even ignored some times (and we áre young and blond!) ;-)
The room was beautiful, big and had a nice big terras. There are 3 swimmingpools and also chairs by the beach, where we could easily get a spot every day! It was so quite at the beach, we almost couldn't believe it.
The food was ok, a lot of the same, but enough choice and well prepared.
My friend is a vegetarian and she also could eat enough every day.
I got stomach-aches the third day, but went to the doctor in the hotel (as we were told by the touroperator, we could) and I got Antinel, which almost immediately took away the pain and uncomfortable-ness...
We also went on a snorkling trip, which was super!!
For a week in the sun at the beach, with all the gin & tonic you want: this is a perfect spot!"

• Travel date: Fri 31st of July 2009

please read this as this is true

Reviewed Fri 2nd of January 2009

"I have just returned from a week at this hotel it was a last minute booking through barrhead travel which i will never use again, i was there with my husband and 2 young sons and like probably other travellers to this hotel i had read the reviews and did not know what to think so thought i would go with an open mind, to anyone who has kids i would not recommend this hotel there was not cot in our room as requested i have a 5 year old and an 8 month old who slept in the bed with me also there was no highchairs in any of the restaraunts which are a joke they are a buffet all the time with not much choice unless you are polish or german and could live on pasta and rice also the bars which there were supposed to be 3 there was only 1 open which was the reception bar and for a busy hotel and the size of it there was no way you could get a seat to sit and have a drink. I was impresses by the cleanliness of our room and the only other good thing about the holiday was the weather this hotel should not have a 5 star rating and i would not recommend it to any of my family ir friends and apart from that you are stuck out in the middle of nowhere and the nearest town is about 40 mins in a taxi and there is no way i would walk about there with my 2 kids, there is however a very nice marina which is all enclosed and if you want something nice to eat i would go there."

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of January 2009

please read this review this review is o...

Reviewed Sun 14th of September 2008

"please read this review this review is only the truth i swear it is worth reding trust me!

right.
the people that worked there were mostley men, and very pervey. espeshially if you are blonde. they have no respect for you what so ever. there a couple of nice men there if u are lucky.
the place is wounderful! the pools are lovley. the sea was lovley it was so warm like a bath. although i would wear some shoes in there as there are some sharpe rocks. there is also a small island where you can walk to from the hotel which has a beautiful outstanding coral reef! you dont have to do any boat exscusions to see any of the coral reefs becuase it is right there!! dont forget to bring your own snorkall kit becuase they dont have them there.

1 of the big problems was the FOOD no one makes this up on the reviews its true i swear. the food was very reapetative and awful! my mother and my brother were both very ill. no stop diarea and sickness every half hour! this last for 4 nights and 4 days. which was a shame because we only have 7 days there.
when you book all inclusive it isnt really. you have to pay extra for the other resturant. no kettal in the room. they give them more exspensive wine then they give to the english and polish. which is very bad, i think.

on the last day you have to check out of your room by 11 and then wait around for your luggage to be collected. then you have to sort out all your key cards and passports until you can enjoy the rest of your time you have left. and ur not aloud towls you have to give your towl cards in. and say if your flight wasnt till later that day like 8ish, you would want to go in the pool or the sea. and then have a shower. but we wasnt aloud bak to our room so we could have a showed we had to shower and dry naturally and change down the beach!! getting half eating my bugs! wat a missions.

the entertainment was very bad. < theres a team called animation team that try and make it good but its terrible. there very behinde in the entertainment, there was one good show but that was about it!

all in all the place was lovley but that was about it!

hope this has helped you it is only the truth i swear!!!!

thanks =]

oh yh and if any knose how to complain i would !!! so contact me thanks

[email protected]"

• Travel date: Sun 14th of September 2008

Nice place, shame about the tummy

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"When we got to Hurghada Airport we were asked for a tip to load our bags into the minibus. The rooms were not allocated as booked by our agent. Generally the rooms were very clean, well lit with air-con and fan. But no tea & coffee facilities in rooms, take your travel kettle.
Housekeeper/cleaner always hovvered around us daily wanting a tip, he knew when we were in our room. The worst part of our holiday was the restaurant, which essentially is a canteen, at times it was a free-for-all. No personal service apart from a waiter asking if we needed drinks (if you could catch the eye of the waiter). To us, the layout of the 'canteen' was wrong, people rudely pushing in (mainly Russian) and it just did not feel like a 5 star restaurant.
The Russians were rude, impolite and pushy and felt like they had never had holiday luxuries before.
Location 40 mins from Hurghada airport or town, and in the middle of no-where. The taxi drivers drove dangerously and recklessly. Do not recommend taxis, use hotel shuttle service if you value your life.
The hotel did not change travellers cheques and two days into the holiday most of the shops in the hotel selling souveniers closed due to a dispute with the hotel. Anything needed other than jewellry and handbags, you had the go into Hurghada or get your rep to get it for you. Even if it's sun tan cream.
No water sports at all and the diving centre was closed.
The drinks were free but served in small plastic cups, limited spirit choice and only one local beer (lager).
Tee-shirts were not allowed in certain pools in the hotel, this caused problems when your little one is sun burnt.
Food generally okay but occasionally uncooked so beware, all our party (of 7) had upset stomachs. Don't look for bacon at breakfast.
Entertainment not very good. Extra curricula entertainment in hotel is charged. Internet access £5 per hour, telephone calls expensive."

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of September 2008

spot the brit !

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"Arrived on 22nd august,one week ALL inclusive. we arrived tea time on friday, checked in quickly and shown to our fab room overlooking the beach (bliss).had a couple of drinks,a paddle and went to dinner(horror) . It was like a skule canteen,high ceilings and a queing system. only the brits and germans seemed to queue! and with the guest list made up of 50%russians(who DONT queue) it was very frustrating,There were no name plates on any of the dishes so you were guessing what you ate. The food was awful .staff were generally good but the waiters have a habit of taking your food and drink before you finish!! BBQ night, raw chicken!!!
All daytime drinks outside of the lobby area are served in plastic cups,HALF FULL,(you couldnt make it up!!).
having said that, the pools were fabulous and clean, the beach was huge and very quiet. take beach shoes for walking on the coral. snorkelling is a must!. would we go back, never. though we would go back to sharm."

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of September 2008

Not a 5 star hotel, I have been to other...

Reviewed Mon 1st of September 2008

"Not a 5 star hotel, I have been to other 5 star hotels in Egypt so I have something to compare it to. The Pool and communal areas were tatty. There was no Tonic for my Gin and Tonic for 5 days, it only arrived after I complained and was poured out under the counter!. No sanitary bags in the bathrooms and an open top bin! There were a few low quality toiletries in the bathroom and no tissues.

Restaurant was very poor, organised like a canteen, where it was extremely difficult to find a waiter to clear tables or obtain a drink. The waiters’ role seemed to be purely table clearance. Eventually we resorted to paying the supplement in order to eat in the “Italian” restaurant where we were actually served food and drink – which is quite incredible in a 5 star hotel!

Most of the staff and animation (entertainment) team were great. Setting is nice but it is set 30 minutes outside Hurghada in a taxi.

For your information there are 3 convoys a day between the Luxor and Hughada, 8am, 2pm and 6pm (and visa versa). I was told the transfer time from Luxor to Hurghada was 3 hours but it took 4 and half hours and this is the standard time – given that it is completed under armed escort there appears to be little doubt the travel time is pretty certain! "

• Travel date: Mon 1st of September 2008

Brill Holiday!!!

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2012

"My Partner and i booked this Holiday and to be truthful we just wanted to go to Egypt.. After reading the reviews i started to get a bit worried, no need this was one of the best holidays that i have ever been on.. It was very hot but the rooms had excellent aircon and a fan above the bed, sometimes it was cold and we needed to turn it off.. The rooms are brill, cleaned every day and two big bottles of water but in the fridge, our cleaner was great and if you required more he would leave it for you.... I have a few medical conditions so was also worried about the sickness thing, never once was i ill. Food was great always something to eat and they were always cleaning every where.
We didn't get pestered by anyone at the air port or any where else.
We met two fantastic people who made the holiday (Jackie and Scott from Bolton).
All i can say is dont listen to all the reviews make your own mind up!!!"

• Travel date: Thu 28th of August 2008

nice holiday!

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"Me and my partner had a nice holiday here ,but had to agree with the reviews on the food ( take tummy tablets with you ) but it did get better closer to the end of the week!
when we arrived at 6 pm in the evening we just wanted to get washed or get some food after traveling for most of the day, are cases arrived in 2 hours my advise get them your self, be much quicker ! only reason you wait is for them to get a tip which i wouldnt have minded if you got your cases quicker!!
How ever i do have to praise the place up for cleanliness, rooms are cleaned to a high standard and most off the staff freindly.
drinks wernt great half a kiddies cup when you are allinclusive need to approve on this !
The swiming pools ,sun beds ,were good and a credit to the resort .
nite time entertainment very poor need to aprove on this .
If u go swiming in the sea take diving shoes with you as the rocks slippery and reef is sharp as we found out !
trip to luxor for the day was good but a long day !
diving fantastic, we both enjoyed the 3 iland day trip snorkeling for 20 euros was well worth it !
in all we did enjoy are stay here !
just could improve on the food and nite time entertainmnet"

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of August 2008

Hated It

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"Firstly when we arrived at the hurghada airport we were hassaled non stop by Egyptians. We were even asked for money by a man who just lifted our suitcases on.

We were told 15 mins was it all it would take us to drive to our resort. It took us an hour and a half. Great start!

Upon our arrival the staff were very friendly. Our room was the furthest away from the hotel which is about a ten minute walk, however we had a lovely view of the beach. The room itself was very nice but we had a lizard on the cieling and a few ants.

The food is the main topic which i would like to review.
Quite frankly its disgusting.
I myself have lived on bread, soup, salad and water for the week. The nicest meal of the day was definatly lunch at the beach bar were they had chips! Thank the Lord! If you wanted anything nice like a pizza or simple vanilla ice cream, you had to pay.
Not my idea of all-inclusive!
The queues were ridiculous. Many rude people would push infront of you! And by the time you had retrieved your food from the tacky metal containers and sat down in the canteen like dining room your food was cold!

We thought the italian in the resort would be a good idea, however the aftermath was an illness. My dad is still suffering from a nasty stomach bug, a week after returning from our holiday.

At the night time there is nothing to do, except for attending a childrens disco- no thankyou!
Instead we made the hard decision to sit in the tacky, dirty pool bar area were a depressed man played typical holiday music from his little hut. Also to my pleasure a "professinal" dancer was entertaining us that night. I myself am a dancer and her performance could of been mistaken for a comedy act!

Some people staying there were very rude!
Russians, Germans, Poles and Dutch all looked at me as if i was dirt. I nearly choked on my dissapointing cocktail when i saw a very drunken old russian women dancing around in her bikini at half ten at night! She was the talk of the hotel and in the end securtiy were called. She even wet herself and to my horror kissed my dad.

The snorkelling however is AMAZING!

Definatly NOT 5*."

• Travel date: Wed 20th of August 2008

Liked the pools

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"The hotel was ok given the price. The rooms were spacious and clean and the staff spent a lot of time keeping the resort looking tidy. The staff were generally helpful although the service was not always of the best but was better if you gave a tip and treated the staff with respect. The resort was dominated by Russians and Poles who often appeared rude and there was a lot of queue jumping. The food was fairly good. Overall the hotel was not up to five star standards but certainly not as bad some reviews suggested. The biggest problems was the lack of any facilities in the area immediately outside the hotel and the distance from Hurghada.
My family and I enjoyed the holiday particularly the pools and our teenage son enjoyed the variety of sporting activities. The hotel needs to upgrade their web photos as they do not do it justice.

Paul and Sue Illingworth"

• Travel date: Mon 18th of August 2008

Wonderful Place

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"I have just returned from two weeks at the hotel and feel that I must write to say what an excellent time we had. The rooms were spacious, very clean and accomodated two rooms together on the ground floor looking over the sea for our party of 5 (including 3 teenage boys!)
The staff were wonderful and appreciated just a thank you (as we attempted in Arabic). The food was excellent, a buffet style traditional Egyptian food with extra BBQ's outside on some nights and no chips which was lovely. The lager was good although the wine varied from day to day! There was entertainment but on the whole the resort is quiet and relaxing in the evening-defintaly not a place for party goers. The people there were a mix of German, Russian, French and Polish and everyone got on well. If I were to go back to Egypt-I would go there again."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of August 2008

I also had a lovely time at this hotel a...

Reviewed Mon 4th of August 2008

"I also had a lovely time at this hotel and am a little confused about the not so good reviews I had seen before travelling!
The hotel was set in Makadi Bay, right on the coast with beautiful views over the sea and lagoon. The staff were fabulous - helpful and friendly, generally making bad jokes and asking about London football teams but you get used to that!! The All Inclusive programme was pretty good, always a choice of dishes at the buffet and even though it only includes local drinks and spirits, they weren't bad and you could always get served at the bar.
The rooms were lovely, clean and tidy and we had a lovely balcony overlooking the lagoon. The bathroom was large and bright and clean - always a bonus! Beds were comfortable and made up every day.
The entertainment was what you would expect from an Egyptian hotel! Not an awful lot going on, quite chilled out in the evenings really. We did have a belly dancing show one night and the children were always amused during the day with sports and pool games etc.
The weather was brilliant - not a cloud in the sky for the whole week! Apparently they hadn't seen rain for months. Never had a problem getting sunbeds by the pool.
I would definitely go back to Makadi Bay, and to this hotel. It was one of the cheaper options but I would say one of the best value for money."

• Travel date: Mon 4th of August 2008

Hotels near Harmony Makadi Bay Hotel & Resort

Stayed at Harmony Makadi Bay Hotel & Resort? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Harmony Makadi Bay Hotel & Resort

• "think twice before booking this hotel and that is an honest opinion "

• Luina by Luina

"Go there for the sun with a friend. "

• Luina by Luina

"Snorkling (at the beach and on a trip) "

Harmony Makadi Bay Hotel & Resort is also called