Queens Valley Hotel Luxor

Karnak Temple Street, Luxor LXR Egypt

Good

value for money hotel but needs improvements.

"have just stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. For the price we paid which amounted to £4 a night you simply cannot complain, i was given a choice of which room i would like, it was huge and very clean, the room boys were also excellent, cleaned every day, and left towel presents on the beds for me. Really i couldnt complain apart from the noise from the mosques at 4.30am each morning but that isnt the hotels fault.

hotel is central so was ideal for a base for us. rooftop swimming pool was good and i would go here again just to chill at the pool if i wanted a few days on my own.

only downside to the hotel is the restaurant, the chef is absolutely useless and cannot cook anything on the menu so after going hungry 1st night we avoided for rest of the stay whch was a shame.

the owners son was nice and couldnt do enough for me and in all fairness i would stay there again even though i didnt particularly like luxor, i would go if i didnt intend leaving the hotel much.

on the internet the hotel does boast a lot of extras but unfortunately we also found most didnt exist, like hairdryers, sauna and jacuzzi etc. but wasnt the end of the world. .like i said for £4 a night it was good value."

• Travel date: Sat 17th of March 2007

Worst holiday ever

"This is no joke! This really was the worst holiday that we EVER went on!

BEWARE – If you go to stay at this hotel after reading this, apart from needing your head seeing to, you WILL have your holiday ruined!!

Think of the worst holiday you have ever taken – and multiply the distress, disappointment and disbelief that you experienced by a factor of 1000 and you will have some idea of what we went through and what we had to endure.

Here's why...

Day 1 - Asked for a room on an upper level, with a view of the Nile. We were given a room on a noisy lower (second) floor, with view of derelict buildings. (There were no rooms with Nile views!). Opened the door and to be immediately hit by the smell of damp. This, we found, was because there was a leak coming from the TOILET in the bathroom. The floor was filthy. It could not have been cleaned in ages. We were only given 1 face towel and 1 bath towel for the two of us. The windows seemed to be double glazed, but this was totally ineffective. We received very little sleep because of the noise that was coming from outside. I went back to reception to ask for a room change, only to be told that there were no spare rooms (which I later found to be a totally untrue). I was told that we could have a room change on the next day. Had no choice but to accept. There was no shower curtain. This caused the floor to be soaked when you took a shower. We had a phone call just after I got back to the room asking us to pay 200 Egyptian Pounds for the evening meal. We had booked half board, so the meal should have been included in the price. I went to reception to query this, but the staff there denied making any such call. We went down for the New Year's Eve evening meal. It was a disgrace. Everything was COLD!!! Even the Baked Potatoes were freezing cold! The desert was also inedible. The meal was so bad that my partner and I and I ended up only having bread and butter. During the night my partner went to the bathroom, only to find that the door handle came of in her hand when she tried to open it. Luckily she wasn't locked inside. I received an insect bite while I slept.

Day 2 - Went down for 'breakfast'. No cereal. They had inadequate facilities to make breakfast (to make toast, they put the bread on one of the cooking rings!). There was no proper tea or coffee or any juice to drink. The bread rolls we were given were those that were left over from the previous night. I went to reception and insisted that we were assigned another room immediately. We were eventually moved to a more presentable room. Unfortunately, the double glazing didn't work in this room either. I then went to reception to change some money. They tried to rip me off, so I didn't change any. There were no safes in the rooms and I believe there was no safe at reception so nothing could be kept securely. Went for dinner. No menu! We were brought food that we didn't want. We ended up with left-overs from the previous night, but we were so hungry that we ate what we could!

Day 3 - Breakfast. No toaster to make toast. Coffee extremely weak. Tables not laid. Same dirty table clothes. Cornflakes tasted like soap. Glasses chipped. Stale bread. Food not replenished when running out. No variation from the previous morning (Eggs, eggs, eggs...). We wanted to see the owner to complain. We were told we could see the owner at midday. No-one showed up, so they sent the owners son (found out later that the owner was there but couldn't be bothered). Another day wasted! They brought us what seem to have been left over from New Year's Eve dinner, 2 nights previous. Asked for something else to eat. Our room hadn't been cleaned.

Day 4 – The electricity went out three times in the morning. Ordered evening meal but we were left waiting 30 minutes. When I enquired, the waiter told us that the Chef had just arrived. When the meal finally came, everyone complained about the food. Ended up going to bed hungry. When we got back to our room, we found that the floor in our room still hasn't been cleaned.

Day 5 - Woken up very early by the incessant banging and noise coming from outside the window. In the evening, after ordering our meal, we were left to wait over one hour before we got anything to eat! Floor in the room STILL hadn't been cleaned!

Day 6 - There is still no water pressure in the bathroom. Reported it previously, but nothing has been done about it. Floor in the room still hasn't been cleaned. Had to ask a cleaner to come and vacuum the room, because it hadn't been done since we got there.

Last Day – No staff around so guests had to cook their own breakfast. Chef came back and leaned against a wall, smiling, and watched while the guests cooked their own breakfasts.

To sum up this establishment, IT'S A NIGHTMARE - Dangerous lifts. Dirty floors. Poor quality/stale/old of the food. Dirty rooms in Poor state of repair. No porter service. No menus for meals. No Information on arrival. Unfriendly, Unhelpful and Cold staff. No safe to secure valuables in rooms or in reception.

I have also uploaded photos so you can see for yourself.

So, there you have it. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE. You have been warned."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of January 2009

An absolute NIGHTMARE!

This is no joke! This really was the worst holiday that we EVER went on!

Here's why...

To sum up this establishment - Dangerous lifts. Dirty floors. Poor quality of the food. Dirty rooms in Poor state of repair. No porter service. No menus for meals. No Information on arrival. Unfriendly, Unhelpful and Cold staff. No safe to secure valuables in rooms or in reception. I have also uploaded photos so you can see for yourself.

So, there you have it. As has been said in a previous review, AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE. You have been warned.

• Travel date: Sat 10th of January 2009

Hotels near Queens Valley Hotel Luxor

Stayed at Queens Valley Hotel Luxor? Share your insight.

Queens Valley Hotel Luxor is also called