We have recently updated our Privacy Policy. Click here to learn more

New Pola Hotel Luxor

Khalid Ben El Walid, Luxor 1868 Egypt

Good

New Pola Hotel - The Truth!

"I have just returned from a fantastic week in Luxor. We stayed at the New Pola Hotel and, after reading some earlier reviews, were apprehensive to say the least. In truth, The New Pola is a basic hotel. We knew this before we went, so were not surprised to find that the reception was quite dated and the rooms very plain. The way of life in Luxor is very simple, I believe this is reflected in most of the accomodation on offer (if you require luxury, you will need to pay for it!). The hotel offers B&B, but be aware that the breakfast is really not up to much at all. The restaurant facilities are uninspiring on the whole, however they do offer a reasonably priced menu. The food we had for snacks and lunch was tasty and well cooked. The pool area is a definite plus point of the hotel - it was great, in fact. Based on the roof of the building, the views are breathtaking. The pool was clean and refreshing, the hotel provided sun beds and parasols, and a small bar keeps you in beers and chilled water! You can also order food to eat by the poolside. Our room was very clean and everything was in working order. Bed sheets were changed daily (the maids created cute designs using towels, too!). The air conditioning was excellent (and you need it). We did have a great Nile view, but we were on level 5, anything lower would have a restricted view. All in all, we found the hotel to be a perfect base from which to explore the sites of Eqypt. For the price, it really is value for money, and we would definately consider coming back here."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of July 2007

Terrible X10000000

"OH i urge all NOT to go here. Staff mardy and don't talk. Food absolutely HORRENDOUS - Rooms noisy AND NO room has a Nile view this is impossible as trees cover the entire front! pool cold and shabby. Needless to say we moved after 1 night. The staff are so bad i cant get over it - i have never been to a more dismal and depressing place in my life!
If you want a REAL 3* go to TUTOTEL down the road much better.
I'd honestly say this is the worst hotel. i wouldnt give it any stars - and i try to make the best of things - impossible at Pola hotel!!!!!"

• Travel date: Tue 12th of June 2007

Building Site

"18th April - 25th april 2007. guys just to warn you the New Pola has got building work going on 10 to 12 hours a day 7 days a week at the moment. Pretty tough going! Breakfast was the most sparse I have ever experienced in my many years of international travel. The photgraph on the internet is an old one. I have been to luxor many times and unfortunately I was disappointed. I could not place the Pola until I got there. On a good note, if you are on a budget then the Pola is a base in a good location for all the temples, bazaars, west bank etc. The rooms are spotlessly clean and are cleaned daily. On the roof terrace you have got a total panoramic view of the city of Luxor and the Nile in both directions. The amazing sunset sells itself! The owners of the hotel ( I complained about the noise) were cold and unfriendly although the staff were lovely. The price of my holiday was £250 as a single traveller so it was competitively priced. The Pola had alot of young students staying there.

To conclude my review the Hotel is cheap but dated. Rooms spotlessly clean. Breakfast awful but its cheap as chips outside the hotel. Building work is hell but if you intend to saty out all day then its up to you. I was on the 6th floor and I felt every single bang! If you want peace and tranquility as I did then the Pola is not for you."

• Travel date: Wed 25th of April 2007

Great roof top pool

Good

"We arrived here after looking at a few hotels around Luxor and finding them not up to standard. This hotel we found to be fantastic.. Not a high class luxuary hotel but it was clean and comfortable.. Nice large rooms with TV and good air con! Although a little further out of town a quick ride in horse carriage for 50p and you're in the middle of everything.. Much nicer to stay here as quiter and more relaxing!

After day wandering around a dusty Valley of the Kings an afternoon spent by the roof top pool was just what the Dr ordered. Once of the nicest hotels we stayed in for our entire trip and would reccomend it to anyone! We went in October and turned up and got a room with no difficulty!"

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of March 2007

In defence of New Pola

"The New Pola is a cheap basic hotel and as such good value. Rooms are
clean staff friendly. No problem getting extra blankets or pillows.

Booked through [----] @ 21GPB for 2 nights in twin nile view room - no problems. Staff spoke English just gave them computer print out and told them it was the accommodation voucher.

Great view from 5th floor nile facing room, but noisy, like most Luxor hotels (none of the 3/4 star hotels seem to have double glazing). A week later we stayed in a back room, quiet but uninspiring view of part built building. Breakfast very basic."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of March 2007

Good quality hotel for the price stayed there 26/2 - 5/3

Good

"When we arrived at the hotel the reception staff asked us if we wanted a nile view or a quiet room at the back of the hotel. We of course opted for the nile view and we got to pick which the room we wanted, we opted for a room on the six floor.

The rooms are basic 2 single beds, air con, fridge and sat tv the bathroom looked basic and had seen better times but it was clean, with the shower being hot all the time together with good water pressure the only thing the room didn't have was a safe. If you do want to lock valuables away the do have a safe in reception which is manned 24hrs.

Our room was cleaned everyday with thesheets being changed everyday too. What we did notice after the first night was the nile view rooms are quite noisey due to the traffic and the music being played by the guys driving the horse and carts all night. But after seeing the sights and do a lot of walking you soon forget about the noise as your to tired to notice.

The hotel is located centrally in luxor, to the right of the hotel is luxor temple, karnak ect and to left of the hotel are some nice restuarants and bars. The hotel has a pool on the roof with great views and a restuarant, the food served by the hotel is pretty good but the breakfast which is thrown in isn't the best . They serve just bread rolls with jam and butter and tea and coffee. The service provided by the reception staff was fairly good as they were always willing to help and their english was of a resonable standard. One other thing about the food served in hotel was we didn't suffer from a bad belly as a lot of people do when staying in egypt.

Even on our last day our flight wasn't untill 9.30pm and check is out at 12.00pm the reception staff allowed us to keep the room on untill 7.00pm free of charge becasue we had eaten in the hotel once or twice which we thought was really nice. The hotel dosn't have a bar as such and just have a recption area on the ground floor but they do sell beer very cheaply.

If yoy do plan to see all sights i would recommend visiting karnack travel by the winter place hotel we found their tours to be cheaper than any where else and their guides are well informed with some of them even being egyptologists. Their mini buses and coaches are all fairly new and clean and we found we could not fault any of their tours with them being probably the only tour company that doesn't give you the hard sell which everybody does in egypt.

Overall this hotel is of a resonable standard being a budget hotel but if you are expecting a 5 star hotel this is not for you, but our stay here was pleasant and we would stay again. The pictures of the rooms and facilites on the hotels web site www.newpolahotel.com are pretty accurate so please check it out before you book.

If anybody does have any further questions please feel free to email me on [email protected]"

• Travel date: Sun 18th of March 2007

Do not stay at New Pola Hotel

"I booked this hotel via Expedia and after reading one review from Tripadvisor member from NY. When we got to the hotel, the reception had no note of us having booked the hotel. When we told them that we booked the hotel via the Internet, all we got was a blank stare and they told us if we had paid for the hotel and asked us to see a copy of the itinerary. Then, the receptionist proceeded to ask how much we paid for our rooms. It was an extremely frustrating experience, as we had never run into this problem. What is the sense of booking a hotel when you are confronted by utter confusion as to how you got to book the hotel? They obviously had no record of the booking, even though we paid for the rooms.

After some minutes of going back and forth, we got to our room, and I was discouraged to say the least. The room was very dimly lit. There was no safe deposit box. The mattresses were thin, sheets were threadbare, and the towels smelled like deep fried oil. There were no extra blankets or pillows. The walls were paper thin. The next night, there was a lipstick mark on one of the towels.

We had originally planned on staying in Luxor for several days, but with this hotel, we just decided to leave after 2 days as orignally booked.

You are better off at the Tuthotel which is close to the train station or several other hotels.

Note that in Luxor, there aren't too many mid- range hotels, but there are plenty of vacancies even during high season (Dec to Feb), so shop around, and don't get fooled by touts who want to bring you to a certain hotel so they can get a hefty commission, which by the way, is added to your bill."

• Travel date: Sun 21st of January 2007

3 star with 5 star service

Good

"On my third trip to Egypt I stayed at the New Pola and was very inpressed. The rooms are extremely clean and well maintained and bed linen and towels are changed on a daily basis. The maids arranged your towels and quitls into flowers and swans on your beds which gave you a little giggle as you walked into the room.
Staff were very friendly and courteous and made an effort to make your stay enjoyable. The food was average but wholesome and well cooked with 24 hour room service.
Unfortunately most of the staff at the reception desk did not speak or understand English very well which made it a little frustrating when trying to get information or communicate. Neither did they have safety deposit boxes choosing instead to put your valuables in the hotel safe which was only convenient if there was someone there with the safe key.
Unfortunately the Nile view was obstructed by trees on floors four and below but had a good view of the west bank and sunset. Other than these two crisimns the New Pola Hotel is well worth a visit and I would recommend it for service and economy."

• Travel date: Thu 4th of January 2007

Nice Looking

"We didn't actually get to stay in this hotel. See, Egypt has rules about unmarried couples, and I was fine with this, my fiance is Egyptian and I am Canadian, we were travelling around and staying in separate rooms at hotels to follow the rules.

We had a hotel for Luxor booked, but were met at the train station by a man soliciting New Pola for 80 e.p. each. We went with him to check it out. The rooms looked nice, the pool on the roof was amazing, the view was incredible. We were going to stay and cancel our reservations at the other hotel. When we got back downstairs to check in the man that had met us at the train station went into the managers office and told us to have a seat in the lobby. I asked my fiance what was going on (I don't speak Arabic and for some reason even though the people at the hotels can speak English they don't when they know that one of you speaks their native tongue), he said that the man was asking whether or not we could stay there. Well, needless to say we left. We were following the rules, booking two rooms, but yet were treated like children, this I did not like. I wasn't about to pay them to be treated this way."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of December 2006

Great hotel for a very reasonable price

"We stayed at this hotel because of a local guide. It turned out to be much better than the hotel we booked through travelnow. Travelnow charged us $18 more than the hotel fee.

The hotel has big balcony facing Nile river, we could watch very beautiful sunset right from out balcony. Room is big and clean. It's a new hotel maybe because the management has not established relationship with tour operators, there were not that many customers while we were there. There is a rooftop pool, very clean and you could watch the sunset from there too. We got a great deal through the local guide, so sometimes even guide books could be wrong."

• Travel date: Wed 5th of July 2006

Our Trip.

"Went in the New Year. The weather was great, trips also very good.
As for our accommodation, hotel spotless, staff very helpful. The food was APPALLING! Lots of hassell from locals worst place ever for it. Tiny rooftop pool and situated on busy main road, very unsuitable for young children. More of an "old fogies" place with no entertainment. We wouldnt go again but on the plus side Arkrights shop sells English stuff(ask at reception.) Also Deans Bistro is English run and best meals to be had there."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of January 2009

CLEANLINES:The Pola Hotel is very beauti...

Good

"CLEANLINES:The Pola Hotel is very beautiful and very clean.Towels are changed everyday.My room has a balcony and views over the Nile.
SITUATION:Very close to the Nile and within walking distance of the city centre, Luxor Temple and museums.Good and cheap transport available by taxis and caleches.
FOOD in hotel: Breakfast is excellent.Dinner not so good.You must make sure that the food is well cooked and is hot.
STAFF: Very fiendly and helpful at all times.
I will recommend this 3star hotel because of the friendly service and cleanliness.
Unfortunately there is no bar.You are served drinks is in the reception area.
Smoking is a big problem because people are allowed to smoke everywhere as well as in the restaurant.

• Travel date: Mon 4th of February 2008

Hotels near New Pola Hotel Luxor

Stayed at New Pola Hotel Luxor? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for New Pola Hotel Luxor

• sandyr by sandyr

"Dont talk to locals or eat in the hotel "

• sandyr by sandyr

"Valley of the Kings was great. "

New Pola Hotel Luxor is also called