Nefertiti Hotel

El Sahabi Street Via Luxor Temple St, Luxor 85951 Egypt

Good

Perfect location and rooms, the roof terrace alone is worth a milion!

"My husband and I stayed here from April 14-19 2008. I had booked via the hotel's webpage after reading the reviews, and got a fast and polite reply. We were supposed to arrive from Cairo on the 15th, but changed plans since we got tired of the pollution and noice of Cairo. There were no problems getting the room sooner, and when we decided to stay a day ekstra it was fine too.

We got a room with a balcony (facing north), two beds and a bathroom. Everything was very clean, even though a bit run down. The room was spacious and very nice, and from the balcony we had a view of Al-.Qurna (the cliff over the Valley of Kings). The AC worked fine, but we didn't use it much.

Breakfast was fine, bread, egg, butter, cream cheese, cereal and tea or coffee. You could by milk or juice for a few ekstra pounds.

The real gem of this hotel is the roof terrace where we spend most of our afternoons and evenings. It has a direct view over the avenue of Sfinxes and the Luxor temple, the Nile and the Westbank. Every night we sat and played chess and had dinner (a small, but good selection of Egyptian and western food, do try the falafel) here."

• Travel date: Thu 24th of April 2008

Good hotel, good location, excellent value

"We stayed here 4 nights and felt it was excellent value for money. The rooms are basic, but clean. The breakfast isn't bad, but extremely slow. We had an early start one morning and wanted a quick breakfast at "opening time". The "chef" told me I'd have to wait until he'd finished folding the napkins before I could even order! This alone took 15 minutes! Shouldn't he have done this before he "opened"? I digress... The location is ideal for seeing things throughout Luxor. The staff were generally superb and we arranged a great balloon trip and a West Bank tour through them. They were also helpful when we needed to get some medicine. The one bad point was that we wanted to go from Luxor to Aswan, stopping for a few hours in Edfu on the way. I planned to do this by train and asked whether the staff knew if Lonely Planet info about tourists only being able to use 3 trains to Aswan a day was still the case. He told me the info was wrong and that our only legal option was to take a private taxi in the daily police convey. He offered to arrange this for me for £350 Egyptian pounds. In the end we took the train to Edfu and a later one from Edfu to Aswan, both legal "tourist" ones. We bought our tickets on board and had no problems, paying about £80 Egyptian pounds total for two trips for two people. A reviewer below mentioned that some Egyptians try to rip tourists off. I'd really like to believe this was not the case here as everything else was excellent."

• Travel date: Sat 16th of February 2008

A real find for first-time visitors

"Stayed four nights with my wife and our children, who are young adults. A good value for this price range, with clean rooms and friendly, helpful staff. (Rooms on the north side of the hotel may be quieter.) A real plus at the Nefertiti is the associated travel service. This being our first trip to Egypt, we did the mainstream activities -- Karnak, West Bank tombs, balloon ride, felucca trip, etc. -- and in each case the hotel set us up with friendly, professional and efficient folks. (Thanks, Nasser.)"

• Travel date: Wed 16th of January 2008

Fab Hotel

"Fab hotel. We are just spending our last night of 4 here. Lovely clean rooms. Cleaned daily. V. friendly staff. Sight seeing trips a must. Excellent guide "Aladen" for the Valley of the Queens & Kings. Balloon ride nice but dissapointed with view. Excellent location. We are an Irish Family staying here with our 2 sons age 11 & 12. Took 2 rooms. The boys loved it, expecially the pool table on the roof top cafe. Woud recommed it to anybody."

• Travel date: Fri 28th of December 2007

Great budget hotel

"This was a great budget hotel. Location in the middle of things with a view of the Luxor temple from the roof. That did make it a little loud, but no worse than other budget hotels we stayed at in Egypt, and earplugs solved the problem. Very friendly and helpful staff who helped arrange an excellent tour of the Valley of the Kings, etc. Very good breakfast each morning. Cheapest internet access we found in Egypt (LE5 per hour). Clean room with air conditioning, though it wasn't something we needed in December. The only complaint was the shower. There was no stall, just a shower head on the wall in the bathroom, which meant everything had to be taken out of the bathroom so it didn't get wet (i.e., toilet paper) and it was a little cramped. That said, I'd come back here again."

• Travel date: Tue 25th of December 2007

Very good budget hotel; dodgy staff!

"The problem with Nefertiti Hotel is that the accommodation is great value for money and very comfortable but the staff (unfortunately, like many but not all Egyptians) attempt to scheme/deceive you out of money at every opportunity.

The Accommodation:

The accommodation itself is very good for a budget hotel. It is clean and with a powerful air con. For the price that we paid, and compared to other budget hotels, it was above average. It also has a nice roof bar, downstairs kebab shop, internet and even a pool table.

The staff:

Unfortunately the staff dampened the experience. They are extremely friendly and nice. HOWEVER!! Be warned that they will try and con you out of your money at every opportunity. There are at least three occasions that can be named, but the most pertinent were:

An ISIC card (student card for discounts) in Egypt according to lonely planet should be £65 (Egyptian). This was also the price in Cairo.

The hotel took us to an agency where they charged us £100. We later found out that the hotel had phoned the agency before we arrived to charge us £100 instead of the usual £65.

A similar story is when we they told us that a train to Aswan was sold out and that we had to pay extortionate prices to them to bribe the officials to get a ticket. This was untrue as we simply went to the station and paid the usual price.

Conclusion: The Hotel itself was good, unfortunately, there is an ethos in Egypt to con tourists. Often the staff in Hotels are trustworthy but NOT in the case of Nefertiti. BEWARE!"

• Travel date: Sat 15th of September 2007

Good budget hotel

Good

"Nice budget hotel, full of backpackers right in the center of Luxor. Excellent views from the roof bar...waterpipe smoking available!!"

• Travel date: Sat 25th of August 2007

Best decision ever

"This is the best budget hotel I have stayed in *ever* -- and I've stayed in *a lot* of budget hotels all over the world. It had great reviews in the Rough Guide and Marco Polo, so I called the hotel directly and booked a room. My partner and I loved this place. Not sure what's changed in four years, but at the time, the rooms and linens were clean, the breakfast hearty, the service *outstanding*, and the staff genuinely friendly. We asked for a tour of ancient sites in Luxor and told Aladin what we wanted; he sized us up and booked us on a tour that put us in a small mini van with travelers from other hotels who were just like us (we wanted to spend lots of time at a few sites, rather than little bits of time and many sites). There were no hard sells ever. I've never stayed at a five star hotel that gave me the high level attention, support and friendliness this budget hotel did. If you are looking for a place just to crash after a long day of site-seeing and a place that will give you good advice, this hotel is for you."

• Travel date: Mon 18th of June 2007

great place to stay

Good

"I stayed at the Nefertiti Hotel Luxor Egypt for 7 days in May 2007,only a few days ago.I had a great time there,the breakfast was good and will fix you up for the day.the staff were second to none,everyone was so helpful and any problem that came up they were so helpful.the tours from the hotel were great,no problems at all.english spoken by all.i am back home now but miss the lovely Egyptian people.This hotel is great if you want to explore the temples of Luxor and Karnak and all the museums,I will visit this hotel again,Bill"

• Travel date: Sun 13th of May 2007

You get what you pay for

"In Egypt you get what you pay for.
Despite their slick and friendly website this hotel was very low grade.
This is a cheap hotel and the rooms reflect this.
Bookings seem to make no difference in Egypt..especially if you specify where you want your rooms aspect. After booking months in advance and requesting a room with a view towards the valley of the kings across the Nile, we were put in the back. One of the rooms was much worse than the other, a bathroom that flooded to start with.
In Egypt you need to see the rooms you book before parting with the money,it's the only way to prevent an unhappy situation."

• Travel date: Tue 19th of December 2006

Hotels near Nefertiti Hotel

Stayed at Nefertiti Hotel? Share your insight.

Nefertiti Hotel is also called